Page 38 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 38

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    If you take valerian root, beware of the dirty sock smell and the wicked hangover, but it does work for those that are sensitive to it. If not, it could make it harder for you to sleep(my case)
    Oh yes, it smells like a dead street cat, but it doesn't taste that bad.

Strange, I know a ton of people who take it (including myself at one point and I'm really sensitive) and never had a problem. What was your reaction exactly?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Oh yes, it smells like a dead street cat, but it doesn't taste that bad.

Strange, I know a ton of people who take it (including myself at one point and I'm really sensitive) and never had a problem. What was your reaction exactly?
    Just increased restlessness and more difficulty sleeping. Nothing else, really. Oh, and a hangover.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Zach is offline Banned
    Whoever said that 4tbs of honey will help you sleep is right on the money. Been drinking like 3oz of honey before bed and i have never had such deep sleep. Very weird because during the day, honey coffee gives me great energy but maple syrup coffee is not as good. Something about the massive amount of fructose in the honey.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Just increased restlessness and more difficulty sleeping. Nothing else, really. Oh, and a hangover.
    Well then, proceed with caution YB! Probably couldn't hurt to try it, though

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    My grandfather is a beekeeper, and has told me so much information about the benefits of different types honey from a very young age. I've always loved it, and used it for anything from seasonal allergies, to sleep issues, to an energy boost. My BF didn't know that if you buy raw, local honey it can cure your seasonal allergies, and ever since I told him this, he's been buying some. Now, he can breathe easily and is amazed that no one told him that for his entire life, haha. Honey is delicious and soooo good for you -- if it weren't so high in calories, I think I'd use it to sweeten everything! But I just occasionally use it for medicinal purposes, now. (Bonus points if you can get a jar with honeycomb & pollen in it!)
    Thats awesome! What other kind of benefits does honey have?

Also i think you should eat it more often.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Aw hell yeah grumpy cat and a donut
    Don't forget - you can actually buy them...

"I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    He using the word metabolism strictly as how many calories you burn.
    Does it sound like that? I'm not sure...

Zach, what's your impression of Steve, based on what I've written?

Whoever said that 4tbs of honey will help you sleep is right on the money. Been drinking like 3oz of honey before bed and i have never had such deep sleep. Very weird because during the day, honey coffee gives me great energy but maple syrup coffee is not as good. Something about the massive amount of fructose in the honey.
    I agree about the honey, but in the past I'd have to eat a lot for it to make a difference to my sleep. I'm talking 200gs (7 oz). Maybe it would be less now that I'm keeping warmer...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-23-2013 at 03:42 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Don't remember if I asked you this, but have you tried taking anything before bed? Valerian root? Kava kava? Chamomile? Catnip? St. John's Wort? A combination of all?
    I've tried a plethora of herbal remedies for sleep - not much helps. St John'w wort was like caffeine pills! Catnip could be entertaining..

On a slightly related topic, a few years ago I did hear that the new generation of recreational drug users were getting high off plant food!

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Just don't take it and stay up a bit longer. It can kick in with a sugar high that keeps you up. Trick is to fall asleep before it kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    My grandfather is a beekeeper, and has told me so much information about the benefits of different types honey from a very young age. I've always loved it, and used it for anything from seasonal allergies, to sleep issues, to an energy boost. My BF didn't know that if you buy raw, local honey it can cure your seasonal allergies, and ever since I told him this, he's been buying some. Now, he can breathe easily and is amazed that no one told him that for his entire life, haha. Honey is delicious and soooo good for you -- if it weren't so high in calories, I think I'd use it to sweeten everything! But I just occasionally use it for medicinal purposes, now. (Bonus points if you can get a jar with honeycomb & pollen in it!)
    I take local raw honey with pollen for seasonal allergies. Most years it is all I need, when I need more I found cutting out eggs for those few months does the rest. I'm always on and off about feeling like I'm allergic to eggs.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Does it sound like that? I'm not sure...

Zach, what's your impression of Steve, based on what I've written?

I agree about the honey, but in the past I'd have to eat a lot for it to make a difference to my sleep. I'm talking 200gs (7 oz). Maybe it would be less now that I'm keeping warmer...
    Yes hes using metabolism in the old school way where burning calories raises metabolism. So things like eating tons of protein, cold water theropy, hiit, etc are all metabolism boosters. But someone like Matt Stone would say that these are all stressors that while they do burn more calories, they actually harm the body long term and lower metabolism. So while they are both using the term differently, they actually agree that less stress is better.

I think he seems like a pretty brilliant guy who has done a ton of experimenting and research. Hes probably pretty stufk in his paradigm and not well versed in diet so you have to take anything not related to temp with a grain of salt.