Page 37 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 37

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    YB, I think the fact that you (we!) are now keeping the balance issue as a high priority is going to do us a world of good in itself. If I weren't so dang private, I'd do the journal thing on here. I used to have one on my nightstand in which I wrote every morning, but I ended up turning it into a "log", which then turned into a chart/spreadsheet-y kinda thing, and was eventually nothing but yet another tool in my OCD toolbox! It did yield some extremely valuable info, though, and I'll do it again, but a little differently. I'll make a list of what I eat for the day - but without calorie counts, macro totals, etc. Each page will have what I ate that day and how I felt mentally and physically. The goal of compiling the info will having nothing to do with anything but figuring out what I need to eat in order for my body and brain to function optimally - that's it!

Great to hear that you're going out and living again! We need to make that a habit and do it consistently - day in, day out - until we no longer have to make a conscious effort to do so. Just think how great it would be for that to be our default mindset! It's crazy to think that what we've been doing (or more importantly NOT doing) has just been another HUGE way in which we deprive (and punish?) ourselves. Jeeeeezzz, what the hell have we been thinkin? It's no wonder so many end up with tendencies to binge! This has been a week of epiphany for me, in large part thanks to your journaling and the journals of a few others as well as some of the invaluable threads that have been popping up lately. I'm really excited to see the shift in thinking that seems to be gaining momentum among the women here. We've been overlooking the most important issue while focusing our time and energy on certain things that we mistakenly hoped would "fix" the deeper underlying problems.

Focusing on our physical health should obviously never cease being high on the list of our ultimate goals, of course.
    You know, I was thinking the exact same thing about the shift in attitude here! I think that "What I gave up" thread has touched a lot of women here. We've all made so many sacrifices because we didn't feel good enough. It was for nothing. Right now I'm the weight I always feared to be, and I actually don't care anymore. I no longer have to worry about maintaining a certain weight, ha! You know I've gained 14lbs and not one person has noticed? I told two friends over the weekend and they both responsed the same way: "Oh. Well, you must have been too thin before!" I'm starting to just see that I am just a normal weight woman with an hour glass figure. I don't have the energy to keep fighting myself to look like a marathon runner.

And I'm so glad that my journal has helped you! Honestly, I can't recommend doing it enough. It's so liberating to be bare. Hugs to you!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Fatigue is something I've struggled with my entire life (as a child we thought I had some sort of chronic yawning syndrome. I kid you not). But it has gotten so much better since going primal it's amazing. I still do get bouts of extreme exhaustion, they're just not so persistent.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into Tai Chi instead and just stick to stretching and walking otherwise.

The problem with my journal before was that it was mildly obsessive and I was the only one who ever looked at it and thus couldn't obtain any objective feedback. I'm excited to post here though. It also makes me feel more accountable (yay for fear of perceived peer disapproval).

You're definitely right, except on my picnic yesterday I had a "I can be normal just like eeeeeveryone else" moment and ate some hummus which ended badly for my stomach. Live and learn.

Derpamix, I can tolerate coffee in small amounts but I do tolerate yerba mate very well (and the roasted variety tastes just like coffee!). It has a good amount of caffeine in it and is great for an energy boost. I used to drink it every day but have since gotten lazy. I'll add it back into my daily regimen.

Also, well cooked apples + mashing with a fork + sprinkle of cinnamon = applesauce! So tasty.
    I've had a similar experience since giving up gluten. MY energy still isn't consisten, but I don't crash multiple times a day like I used to.

I'm going to take my own advice and look into Tai chi too! I did a course in India and it was amazing. Bit boring for me bach then, but right now I feel totally burnt out and I can't handle body weight exercises. There's actually a studio right beside where I teach yoga... If I find any vids online I'll link you

Start the journal! I'll definitely be one of your readers It's funny how the journals pop up isn't it? Badgergirl described it as a book club, ha. (Hi Badgergirl, if you're lurking!)

Sorry to hear about the hummus! The fuck-it-all attitude has to have boundaries I guess. I'm mostly applying the attitude to my body. I've given up hoping I'll have buns of steel ever again. I'm just not the kind of person who lifts barbells.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I've had a similar experience since giving up gluten. MY energy still isn't consisten, but I don't crash multiple times a day like I used to.

I'm going to take my own advice and look into Tai chi too! I did a course in India and it was amazing. Bit boring for me bach then, but right now I feel totally burnt out and I can't handle body weight exercises. There's actually a studio right beside where I teach yoga... If I find any vids online I'll link you

Start the journal! I'll definitely be one of your readers It's funny how the journals pop up isn't it? Badgergirl described it as a book club, ha. (Hi Badgergirl, if you're lurking!)

Sorry to hear about the hummus! The fuck-it-all attitude has to have boundaries I guess. I'm mostly applying the attitude to my body. I've given up hoping I'll have buns of steel ever again. I'm just not the kind of person who lifts barbells.
    Great, please do! I have a really short attention span so it should be interesting.

It's a little community - I love it. I just put mine up.

There does seem to be a line between relaxing a bit and "fuck it! I'll just drink arsenic!" Probably. As for your body, give it time. It's possible things could change once you get other health issues under control.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    *waves* been feeling a bit flat myself, but am still here!
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    *waves* been feeling a bit flat myself, but am still here!
    Hey! I lurked on your journal a few days ago too, but forgot to post. I liked the red boots

- Ray Peat

Raising Body Temp
    Entry Nine

Sleep:
    12.00am - 06.15am. Woke up suddenly.

Well, after nine days my sleep hasn't stabilised. It could be that I need to wait longer, but actually I think my sleep issues are quite ingrained and multi-factoral. There's the adrenaline rushes that wake me up, but there's also that:

- I'm a light sleeper and sleep under a noisy flat mate (a floor under! Get your mind out of the gutter...)
    - Eight years ago I went through a post traumatic stress disorder, complete with sleep paralysis and horrific nightmares. Ever since then I've been a bit afraid to go to sleep..!
    - Blood sugar issues if I drink alcohol / go to bed remotely hungry.

Sleeping more warmly has so far helped with the depth of my sleep. I'm not waking up continually through out the night. Maybe it will help with duration, but it's starting to feel that getting a full night's sleep on a regular basis is a going to be a science...

Temperature:
    Hovered around 36.8C today. Felt luke-warm until the evening when I cranked up the heating, lay under a pile of blankets and got toasty.

Steve explained that the reason I'm feeling colder is:
    The lower you metabolism - the longer you live. You have finally given your body a chance to lower your metabolism, and it is taking the opportunity to do so. All that heat you have been losing has been shortening your life. I'd "go with the flow" and put on more blankets and coats, until you feel 100% comfortable.
    Is it really bad that I would prefer to be skinny and live shorter?

Well, also I thought raising your body temp raised your metabolism (and intelligence). I guess that's my next question to him!

Observations:
    - Skin on hands is like tissue paper
    - Outbreak of cystic acne has gotten pretty severe. The worst I've had years. Now that I think of it - the last time I had an outbreak last this was when I was doing Bikram Yoga... Oh dear. What am I doing to myself?

Energy and mood:
    I was exhausted again today. Was pretty inefficient at work, and demotivated. I'm in good form, but maybe a bit more stressed today than I have been.

Final thoughts:
    The doctor stuff is continuing. Thread here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83507.html

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    He using the word metabolism strictly as how many calories you burn.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Derp, I saw this and thought of you...

More here: 31 Ridiculously Amazing Sweatshirts You Can Actually Buy
    Aw hell yeah grumpy cat and a donut
    nihil

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Don't remember if I asked you this, but have you tried taking anything before bed? Valerian root? Kava kava? Chamomile? Catnip? St. John's Wort? A combination of all?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you take valerian root, beware of the dirty sock smell and the wicked hangover, but it does work for those that are sensitive to it. If not, it could make it harder for you to sleep(my case)
    nihil