Page 36 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 36

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Rasing Body Temp
    Entry Eight: Colder

Sleep:
    2.30am - 6.00am. Three and a half hours Bloody alcohol. Why can some people sleep so well after drinking and it's a disaster for me? Blood sugar issues?

Temperature:
    Actually didnt' even think to take it today! Just took it now (in bed) and it's 36.5C. But I feel really cold.

Observations:
    There's a few things happening that I'm not so happy about.

- I'm feeling colder and colder. I'm wearing more and more clothes, and it's not enough. Meanwhile, the temp outside is getting warmer. If anything I would think I'd need less clothes!

- My skin is starting to get extremely dry and almost 'baggy'. This is on my forehead, hands, and under my eyes.

- I'm getting some red mark on my face (I have a tendency towards spider veins etc), and I'm getting some spots in places I don't normally get them.

I've emailed Steve and asked him what could be going on. Never a dull moment eh?

Some wins:
    - I just realised that last night when I came home tipsy, I didn't eat anything. Normally as soon as I have a few drinks I get the munchies. The fact that I didn't even think of food is a big result!

- I haven't counted calories in days. Not even estimating. Now that is liberating. I'm not sure if I should be making a list of what I'm eating though... I couldn't be bothered right now.

- On Saturday morning, I wanted to binge. I was so mad about my cholesterol I just wanted to say "fuck it" and eat junk food. Then I remembered that I tried that approach a few months ago and it really hurt me. I saw so clearly that when I want to rebel against myself, and hurt myself, I want to binge. That urge was tiny yesterday. Tiny, and easily dismissed

Final thoughts:

Got a cystic acne outbreak this morning. I've related them to gluten before. Guess beer is off the agenda
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I hear you Jen! I am not putting as much energy into these things any more. I'm continuing the journalling cos' it's really helping me process my emotions. But other than that, I'm going to go through the motions of the health stuff. I don't want it to be such an obsession any more. I'm actually going out and living my life again, which is more healing than anything.

Just wondering: how well versed are you in the thyroid stuff? I'm reading a lot about it and it's so interesting...
    YB, I think the fact that you (we!) are now keeping the balance issue as a high priority is going to do us a world of good in itself. If I weren't so dang private, I'd do the journal thing on here. I used to have one on my nightstand in which I wrote every morning, but I ended up turning it into a "log", which then turned into a chart/spreadsheet-y kinda thing, and was eventually nothing but yet another tool in my OCD toolbox! It did yield some extremely valuable info, though, and I'll do it again, but a little differently. I'll make a list of what I eat for the day - but without calorie counts, macro totals, etc. Each page will have what I ate that day and how I felt mentally and physically. The goal of compiling the info will having nothing to do with anything but figuring out what I need to eat in order for my body and brain to function optimally - that's it!

Great to hear that you're going out and living again! We need to make that a habit and do it consistently - day in, day out - until we no longer have to make a conscious effort to do so. Just think how great it would be for that to be our default mindset! It's crazy to think that what we've been doing (or more importantly NOT doing) has just been another HUGE way in which we deprive (and punish?) ourselves. Jeeeeezzz, what the hell have we been thinkin? It's no wonder so many end up with tendencies to binge! This has been a week of epiphany for me, in large part thanks to your journaling and the journals of a few others as well as some of the invaluable threads that have been popping up lately. I'm really excited to see the shift in thinking that seems to be gaining momentum among the women here. We've been overlooking the most important issue while focusing our time and energy on certain things that we mistakenly hoped would "fix" the deeper underlying problems.

Focusing on our physical health should obviously never cease being high on the list of our ultimate goals, of course. Speaking of physical health, to answer your question on the thyroid subject, I am pretty new to the game but have found tons of info and received some fantastic advice from posters here. Marcadav is an excellent source of this info and is very generous with her time and sharing what she's learned through her own struggles. (In case you're reading, Marcadav, THANK YOU!!) Do a search of the forum for whatever info you are hoping to find. There is a lot here. I've pretty much followed Marcadav's advice after having all of my testing done and finally possessing the info I needed in order to get to work. Pretty much ALL of the health issues that we've discussed in this thread are completely thyroid related in my case. I suspect that to be the case for MANY posters here, to be honest. That's why I said I was going to focus solely on my thyroid for now - it encompasses most, if not all, of the issues we've been discussing in this thread lately: water retention, low temp, ice cold toes, hands, feet, (and butt!), massive hair loss, crappy nails, lack of energy, brain fog with horrible memory/recall, insomnia, hypoglycemia and the resulting 3am wake up call every night, awful digestion - well, the lack thereof.....etc., etc.... The list goes on and on. I have no doubt that each are thyroid related, thanks to what I've experienced since starting on thyroid supplementation. As soon as the clumps of hair that I lost with each shower began to look smaller, my nails appeared a little stronger, I could FEEL my toes and I had physical energy to match my mental wishlist, I knew that my T3 had finally begun to rise. Lab results confirmed this. Then, when I noticed those same symptoms returning, much to my dismay, I knew my level had started to fall for some reason. Lab results also confirmed this. Now, I use symptoms or the lack thereof to help guide me with my dosage and timing. We do follow-up bloodwork every 4-6 weeks, of course - I wouldn't have the guts to go about it blindly. I can tell that it will definitely take some time to reach "optimal", but I am SO relieved to finally be on the right track and addressing what I needed to address YEARS ago!

I can't help but think that your issues are, at the very least, "partly" thyroid-related. I'm sure there's some adrenal involvement as well, as with many (or most?) cases, my own included.

Apparently, my brain fog and crappy memory aren't THAT much better, because I can't remember whether or not you had the FULL testing panel done! (That's what working all night and not sleeping afterward tends to do to a brain - can't really blame my thyroid for THAT one) I don't think I've ever seen you post your T3 levels, at least. Have you aggressively pursued that route but hit roadblocks?
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 04-21-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Emma, there's quite a few things i want to say, not sure of the order.

Firstly: be careful of your next step. Don't rush into something. I think that's the mistake I've made over the last year: in desperation to sort myself out I've clung to loads of different things. I think my body is in shock at this point.

I don't think you should do a junk food diet. I don't think you should do Ray Peat (much as I love him and think he's a genius). I think these are all extreme measures and they are too different from what you're doing now. That kind of change will be stressful for your body. I think Zach gives amazing advice and I usually agree with it, but in this case my gut instinct is that this isn't right for you.

You could have a parasite. If you haven't been the same since one stomach flu then there's something up. Get the tests, and get your thyroid checked.

In the interim: eat food that is super-easy on your stomach. You know what these foods are. Don't worry about nutrient density. You said rice works for you: eat it. Plain meats? Fine. What other foods are okay? I agree about the gelatine. How are you with bone broth?

Only thing I would suggest doing differently is eating more frequently. I do believe it's less taxing on digestion, but don't listen to me if it feels wrong intuitively.

How is your energy? What recreational activities do you like to do? Gentle exercise, like Tai Chi, would be good for you I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach
    Honestly i cant say exactly what you should do because you have some serious issues that would probably need supervision when implementing a plan.

If it were me, i would start off having nothing but fresh raw juice from fruit and a few veggies. I would use lots of gelatin for most of my protein source. I would only eat things that completely digested like raw milk, sugar, white rice, white bread (if gluten wasnt a problem) and take a bunch of digestive enzymes and HCL. After a few days i would start introducing a few other foods like eggs, shellfish, tropical fruits, potatoes, a bit of red meat(beed or lamb).

I would also work on my temp, if it was low and stop doing any and all strenuous exercise and any other stressful activities.
    First of all, thank you guys so much.

Rushing into things has definitely gotten me into trouble multiple times over. I really like aspects of both of your advice, though. As much as going backwards in terms of food variety makes me want to cry, I think a good thing for me to do right now would be a GAPS/SCD type reintro. diet along with foods I know I can tolerate for a few days just to clear out my system: bone broths with a little bit of meat, white rice, maybe a little bit of really well cooked apples, gelatin, egg yolks, and then just keep it really simple until I can get my testing done. How does that sound to everyone?

I can do gentle exercise, like low level yoga and walking. I like to do body exercises, hike, and do jump rope "sprints" a couple of times per week, but I can put those off. I actually went on a 3.5 hour hike today with some friends, so, oops. But it was so much fun and we had a picnic afterwards and I ate with everyone and it felt great, so I think the benefits outweighed the harm there... I am more sore than I've been in some time, though :/

My energy levels are a bit wacky: I naturally wake up between 6:30-7:30am bright eyed and bushy tailed feeling like I could run a marathon, but by afternoon I feel like I have indeed run that marathon. I just read on some random website, 2 seconds ago, that "one of the key symptoms of thyroid fatigue is a heavy or tired head, especially in the afternoon." I don't know if this is true, but this is how I feel to a tee! I'll be sitting in class around 2pm and all of a suddenly my chin has fallen to my chest without me even realizing it because my head feels like it weighs twenty pounds. Is this consistent with hypothyroid?

P.S. I am going to start my own journal so I don't keep taking up yours!
    Last edited by ombat; 04-21-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Do you tolerate coffee well? Caffeine helps to stimulate heat, thyroid production, progesterone, DHEA, etc; basically moves everything in the right direction.

Your daily diet sounds good. I prefer apple sauce though, personally!
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Rasing Body Temp
    Entry Eight: Colder

Sleep:
    2.30am - 6.00am. Three and a half hours Bloody alcohol. Why can some people sleep so well after drinking and it's a disaster for me? Blood sugar issues?

Temperature:
    Actually didnt' even think to take it today! Just took it now (in bed) and it's 36.5C. But I feel really cold.

Observations:
    There's a few things happening that I'm not so happy about.

- I'm feeling colder and colder. I'm wearing more and more clothes, and it's not enough. Meanwhile, the temp outside is getting warmer. If anything I would think I'd need less clothes!

- My skin is starting to get extremely dry and almost 'baggy'. This is on my forehead, hands, and under my eyes.

- I'm getting some red mark on my face (I have a tendency towards spider veins etc), and I'm getting some spots in places I don't normally get them.

I've emailed Steve and asked him what could be going on. Never a dull moment eh?

Some wins:
    - I just realised that last night when I came home tipsy, I didn't eat anything. Normally as soon as I have a few drinks I get the munchies. The fact that I didn't even think of food is a big result!

- I haven't counted calories in days. Not even estimating. Now that is liberating. I'm not sure if I should be making a list of what I'm eating though... I couldn't be bothered right now.

- On Saturday morning, I wanted to binge. I was so mad about my cholesterol I just wanted to say "fuck it" and eat junk food. Then I remembered that I tried that approach a few months ago and it really hurt me. I saw so clearly that when I want to rebel against myself, and hurt myself, I want to binge. That urge was tiny yesterday. Tiny, and easily dismissed

Final thoughts:

Got a cystic acne outbreak this morning. I've related them to gluten before. Guess beer is off the agenda
    Alcohol has the exact same effect on me: very few hours of sleep. Perhaps it's best not to drink for a while, or if you go out with friends, get a very weak drink and nurse it all night with plenty of water. It's pretty important that you get as much sleep as you possibly can right now.

I know we just want to "fuck it" but there's a point when something is just really, really bad for you and you can't ignore it. So if that's gluten, I wouldn't mess around. But it seems like you've come to that conclusion.

It's really cool that you recognized that you were trying to self-sabotage and then didn't! That is huge.

"I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    First of all, thank you guys so much.

Rushing into things has definitely gotten me into trouble multiple times over. I really like aspects of both of your advice, though. As much as going backwards in terms of food variety makes me want to cry, I think a good thing for me to do right now would be a GAPS/SCD type reintro. diet along with foods I know I can tolerate for a few days just to clear out my system: bone broths with a little bit of meat, white rice, maybe a little bit of really well cooked apples, gelatin, egg yolks, and then just keep it really simple until I can get my testing done. How does that sound to everyone?

I can do gentle exercise, like low level yoga and walking. I like to do body exercises, hike, and do jump rope "sprints" a couple of times per week, but I can put those off. I actually went on a 3.5 hour hike today with some friends, so, oops. But it was so much fun and we had a picnic afterwards and I ate with everyone and it felt great, so I think the benefits outweighed the harm there... I am more sore than I've been in some time, though :/

My energy levels are a bit wacky: I naturally wake up between 6:30-7:30am bright eyed and bushy tailed feeling like I could run a marathon, but by afternoon I feel like I have indeed run that marathon. I just read on some random website, 2 seconds ago, that "one of the key symptoms of thyroid fatigue is a heavy or tired head, especially in the afternoon." I don't know if this is true, but this is how I feel to a tee! I'll be sitting in class around 2pm and all of a suddenly my chin has fallen to my chest without me even realizing it because my head feels like it weighs twenty pounds. Is this consistent with hypothyroid?

P.S. I am going to start my own journal so I don't keep taking up yours!
    I think that diet sounds ideal and I second Derp on the apple sauce!

A classic symptom of thyroid is fatigue, but it's also a major symptom of many illnesses. I do know that I get it really badly, though I have to say it's getting so much better. Since I got back to London I've had a few "really tired" days, but have only crashed that one time. I agree with Zach that you should also focus on keeping warm: it will take the stress of your adrenals (if your thyroid is screwing up it will have a big impact on the rest of your endocrine system: seems like the adrenals often take the first hit).

This is ironic coming from me, but I intuitivey feel that you should try Tai Chi instead of yoga. Yoga is actually a bit estrogenic, and it also can release a lot of stress hormones unless you do it the right way. When I first started doing it I would be exhausted, and I realise now I was doing poses that were releasing too much cortisol. Tai Chi is actually very energising as teh focus is on harnessing life force energy (if you believe in that). Chi gung might be even better, but I find it a bit too slow.

Great that you're starting a journal! It's actually been the best thing that I have done. Keeping track of things in written form has really helped me see patterns, and has guided me to lots of realisations. Plus it's fantastic to get feedback, encouragement, and feel like you have friends along for a journey that would only ever have been in your head before

And yeah - you're totally right on the fuck it idea. A bit of throwing caution to the wind is healthy but as I said - no point throwing the baby out with the bathwater! And no - I think hiking and picnics with friends are extremely healing. I'm doing loads right now - socialising, meeting friends, going for lots of walks, working on a really cool, fulfilling project, and all these things are helping me probably more than diet or keeping warm (though I needed to sort the diet and warmth before I had the energy to have a life again!)

Happiness is a process of many mitigating factors.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-21-2013 at 11:46 PM.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Do you tolerate coffee well? Caffeine helps to stimulate heat, thyroid production, progesterone, DHEA, etc; basically moves everything in the right direction.

Your daily diet sounds good. I prefer apple sauce though, personally!
    Derp, I saw this and thought of you...

More here: 31 Ridiculously Amazing Sweatshirts You Can Actually Buy

- Ray Peat

I think that diet sounds ideal and I second Derp on the apple sauce!

A classic symptom of thyroid is fatigue, but it's also a major symptom of many illnesses. I do know that I get it really badly, though I have to say it's getting so much better. Since I got back to London I've had a few "really tired" days, but have only crashed that one time. I agree with Zach that you should also focus on keeping warm: it will take the stress of your adrenals (if your thyroid is screwing up it will have a big impact on the rest of your endocrine system: seems like the adrenals often take the first hit).

This is ironic coming from me, but I intuitivey feel that you should try Tai Chi instead of yoga. Yoga is actually a bit estrogenic, and it also can release a lot of stress hormones unless you do it the right way. When I first started doing it I would be exhausted, and I realise now I was doing poses that were releasing too much cortisol. Tai Chi is actually very energising as teh focus is on harnessing life force energy (if you believe in that). Chi gung might be even better, but I find it a bit too slow.

Great that you're starting a journal! It's actually been the best thing that I have done. Keeping track of things in written form has really helped me see patterns, and has guided me to lots of realisations. Plus it's fantastic to get feedback, encouragement, and feel like you have friends along for a journey that would only ever have been in your head before

And yeah - you're totally right on the fuck it idea. A bit of throwing caution to the wind is healthy but as I said - no point throwing the baby out with the bathwater! And no - I think hiking and picnics with friends are extremely healing. I'm doing loads right now - socialising, meeting friends, going for lots of walks, working on a really cool, fulfilling project, and all these things are helping me probably more than diet or keeping warm (though I needed to sort the diet and warmth before I had the energy to have a life again!)

Happiness is a process of many mitigating factors.
    Fatigue is something I've struggled with my entire life (as a child we thought I had some sort of chronic yawning syndrome. I kid you not). But it has gotten so much better since going primal it's amazing. I still do get bouts of extreme exhaustion, they're just not so persistent.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into Tai Chi instead and just stick to stretching and walking otherwise.

The problem with my journal before was that it was mildly obsessive and I was the only one who ever looked at it and thus couldn't obtain any objective feedback. I'm excited to post here though. It also makes me feel more accountable (yay for fear of perceived peer disapproval).

You're definitely right, except on my picnic yesterday I had a "I can be normal just like eeeeeveryone else" moment and ate some hummus which ended badly for my stomach. Live and learn.

Derpamix, I can tolerate coffee in small amounts but I do tolerate yerba mate very well (and the roasted variety tastes just like coffee!). It has a good amount of caffeine in it and is great for an energy boost. I used to drink it every day but have since gotten lazy. I'll add it back into my daily regimen.

Also, well cooked apples + mashing with a fork + sprinkle of cinnamon = applesauce! So tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Wow, your journal is taking off so fast, I can hardly keep up!

I think it's great that youre trying to embrace this IDGAF attitude. I'm still trying, but it's not coming as quickly for me. I did, however, buy some of my favorite foods a today at the market without worrying if I'm going to eat them all in one sitting! Little step for me. I also almost bought some gluten free bread mix to make some of my own, but passed the, up for some non-gmo corn cakes instead. Love them!
    Ohh, did I forget to mention how absolutely right you were about 5htp? I know I said something in my journal, but I thought I should tell you here. It was totally making my hormones go crazy, and as soon as I tossed them, the intense hunger, deep anger, and sadness disappeared (mostly...)

I'm glad you enjoyed some beer last night, maybe the fun you had cam be outweighed by a few ill spots on your face? I had cystic acne when I tried out bare minerals face makeup, and it went away slowly when I stopped using it. However, I did find that drinking a shot of ACV (apple cider vinegar) once or twice a day really cleared my skin up, a bunch. You can mix it in water and add sweetner to it if you want, like a vinegary lemonade, or just a quick and easy shot. If I remember to do it regularly, my skin looks pretty good! Gotta make sure to get the ACV with all the cloudy stuff in the bottom, though -- "the mother."

I am so so so happy that you didn't get a drunken snack attack! I think your EMTWL experiment actually contributed to not wanting to binge, or diminishing those urges to binge by a lot. As for me, right now we have delicious (gluten free) Persian chickpea cookies from Iran, and they aren't completely demolished yet! Usually, I can't handle myself one bit around sweets. Also, I haven't stolen any of my bf's foods in a day or two, lol. Again, Baby steps!
    That's great you kicked the 5Htp! Yeah, Ray Peat has written a lot about seretonin, and I think people are starting to recognise that there's no one magical hormone that's going to solve everything. Human physiology is a dance.

I don't think I can do the IDGAF attitude in relation to what I put into my body. I had fun on Sat night, but the beer wasn't tasty enough to warrant what I have on my face. I CAN however, do it in relation to my body itself. I'm accepting this 14 lb gain as my new weight. I just can't face teh thought of dieting ever again. I feel totally burnt out by it. That "What I gave up article" really hit me hard. Who is worth loving if they are going to judge me for an extra two inches on my hips? No one.

yeah - I'm pretty happy about the lack-of-snack-attack too I'm glad to hear you're doing better! I honestly think that breaking the habit is all about changing the mind. I needed to "Eat a ton" to get me over this. Maybe for you it's just a matter of allowing yourself to eat the things you love. Within reason obviously, but I think you're pretty aware and if you allow yourself treats you'll be able to moderate quite quickly I believe <3

- Ray Peat