Page 35 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 35

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    That's not cookie monster's fault, it's the big bird controlled government poisoning him and feeding his addiction
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I blame the parents: if they hadn't put him on the Paleo diet as a kid he never would have had this problem...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I missed a party!

@Zach... and Derp... and YB... everyone. @Everyone.

I just took a look at the Ray Peat diet, but I will read up on him and his articles more soon. I really don't know anything about him. I recently tried doing a dairy re-introduction to see if I could handle it and had splitting headaches that I haven't known for a couple of years start up on day two. I told myself it was the weather, it was psychosomatic, etc. and then puss filled cysts started showing up on my thighs so I quit it. And they haven't been back. Nor the headaches. So I'm definitely not drinking milk. I ate an orange a couple of weeks ago because I thought, hey, look, oranges! I love oranges! I haven't eat an orange in months! Of course I can eat an orange! I looked like I was going to give birth any minute after eating it. So a glass of orange juice would be interesting. I love fruit, but I don't have time to spend the rest of my day doubled over in pain in the bathroom after eating an apple. Funny enough I'm about to get my period so I've been a sugar monster for the past few days: basically drinking straight out of a jar of honey and I could barely button my jeans today (and I feel like I'm about to vomit). I'm not discounting his theories, but just from my own experience I'd be wary to implement it.

As for the junk food thing, all I do know is that I've never been a junk food person. I actually just got back from a friend's birthday party where they were all eating cake and smell almost made me gag. As a child I would eat leftover salmon for dessert while everyone else ate ice cream. I never liked candy (except for chocolate), could take or leave chips (I would give my cheetos to friends at school and keep whatever meat / fruit I had for myself). I was roughly getting by this way, other than the debilitating headaches and depression (not important, right?), until my freshman year of college. This was when my health problems started staring me in the face. And what was I eating? Pasta, cookies, cake, pizza: I diet 180 from what I had grown up on. I was more bloated than ever, I could barely hold a thought for more than a minute (eh, this is still the case), and for the first time in my life I actually craved this stuff. I wanted ice cream and pizza all the time! I was happier, but I think it's just because I hated high school. So to me, personally, it just doesn't seem intuitive. It would never have been a way I'd naturally choose to eat if I had my choice of anything in the world. Do I like cookies? Hell yes. Do I like cheeseburgers? Make it a triple. But at the end of the day I'd always choose a steak and roasted cauliflower. It's how I've always been. I know this diet would only be temporary, but I feel sick even thinking about it.

And anyway I don't even know if I'm hypothyroid. But I get it. The power of the psyche is stronger than anything else, so I believe in why this would work. But it brings up a lot of questions about the state most people are in: why is everyone so sick and obese when most of them clearly have been eating whatever they want? Other health issues that need to be addressed? Or because of junk food vs. not fit for human consumption?

YB - I will go back to eating more rice. I really like it and not eating it isn't having its own benefits so fuck it. I actually picked up a package of rice cakes at the store today, something I haven't done in a year because it's "not paleo". For the love of-

Edit: Zach, it depends on what kind of fiber you're talking about. I barely eat any insoluble fiber. 99% of my diet is meat and the fleshy part of sweet potatoes and ripe bananas. I eat maybe less than 1/4 cup of well cooked spinach a day or a handful of well cooked green beans. Anything else I eat is sparing and not daily.
    Last edited by ombat; 04-21-2013 at 02:02 AM.

Zach is offline Banned
    You do understand that from your own description you are a very sick individual, right? Puss boils and migraines from milk is not normal even for someone with an allergy. Severe bloating from a single orange? I dont know what to tell you if on one hand it sounds like what your doing is absolutely not working but on the other you are defending your way of eating.

How do you see yourself getting out of this?

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You do understand that from your own description you are a very sick individual, right? Puss boils and migraines from milk is not normal even for someone with an allergy. Severe bloating from a single orange? I dont know what to tell you if on one hand it sounds like what your doing is absolutely not working but on the other you are defending your way of eating.

How do you see yourself getting out of this?
    Yes, I am painfully aware of the fact that I am very sick. Possibly in more ways than one at this point.

I don't mean to come across as though I'm defending how I'm eating. It's very obviously not working if I can't reintroduce simple foods like oranges, but it's the best I've got so far and the one that's minimized my symptoms the most. What I was trying to get at is the question of how I would implement Peat's diet if a lot of the foods he recommends make me feel even worse. Or how I would eat junk food if in the past it has made me feel even worse. I know I'm stuck. I'm going nowhere really fast and I have no idea how to get myself out of it. Doctor after doctor after test after treatment and at this point it's not really a question of how I see myself getting out of it but if I see myself getting out of it at all.

I'm anything but stubborn. I've tried everything I've ever come across. Do you think I should try the Peat diet and suffer through the symptoms for a while to see if it gets better? And if so, for how long? I really appreciate all of your advice.

Zach is offline Banned
    Honestly i cant say exactly what you should do because you have some serious issues that would probably need supervision when implementing a plan.

If it were me, i would start off having nothing but fresh raw juice from fruit and a few veggies. I would use lots of gelatin for most of my protein source. I would only eat things that completely digested like raw milk, sugar, white rice, white bread (if gluten wasnt a problem) and take a bunch of digestive enzymes and HCL. After a few days i would start introducing a few other foods like eggs, shellfish, tropical fruits, potatoes, a bit of red meat(beed or lamb).

I would also work on my temp, if it was low and stop doing any and all strenuous exercise and any other stressful activities.

Emma, I'm rushing out the door - will respond later. Hugs!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Well. Firstly: as part of my new "I'm-doing-whatever-the-hell-I-want-from-now-on" attitude, I had a few beers last night. I normally go for wine or spirits. Guess what I woke up to today? Cystic acne. Both sides of my jaw! I used to get these all the time: it stopped when I gave up gluten. And here they were today after a few beers.

Coincidence?

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Yes, I am painfully aware of the fact that I am very sick. Possibly in more ways than one at this point.

I don't mean to come across as though I'm defending how I'm eating. It's very obviously not working if I can't reintroduce simple foods like oranges, but it's the best I've got so far and the one that's minimized my symptoms the most. What I was trying to get at is the question of how I would implement Peat's diet if a lot of the foods he recommends make me feel even worse. Or how I would eat junk food if in the past it has made me feel even worse. I know I'm stuck. I'm going nowhere really fast and I have no idea how to get myself out of it. Doctor after doctor after test after treatment and at this point it's not really a question of how I see myself getting out of it but if I see myself getting out of it at all.

I'm anything but stubborn. I've tried everything I've ever come across. Do you think I should try the Peat diet and suffer through the symptoms for a while to see if it gets better? And if so, for how long? I really appreciate all of your advice.
    Emma, there's quite a few things i want to say, not sure of the order.

Firstly: be careful of your next step. Don't rush into something. I think that's the mistake I've made over the last year: in desperation to sort myself out I've clung to loads of different things. I think my body is in shock at this point.

I don't think you should do a junk food diet. I don't think you should do Ray Peat (much as I love him and think he's a genius). I think these are all extreme measures and they are too different from what you're doing now. That kind of change will be stressful for your body. I think Zach gives amazing advice and I usually agree with it, but in this case my gut instinct is that this isn't right for you.

You could have a parasite. If you haven't been the same since one stomach flu then there's something up. Get the tests, and get your thyroid checked.

In the interim: eat food that is super-easy on your stomach. You know what these foods are. Don't worry about nutrient density. You said rice works for you: eat it. Plain meats? Fine. What other foods are okay? I agree about the gelatine. How are you with bone broth?

Only thing I would suggest doing differently is eating more frequently. I do believe it's less taxing on digestion, but don't listen to me if it feels wrong intuitively.

How is your energy? What recreational activities do you like to do? Gentle exercise, like Tai Chi, would be good for you I think.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-21-2013 at 02:49 PM.

- Ray Peat

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    Oh, I get that completely since the same is absolutely true in my case. I've had these (re-)revelations lately while working my own recent n=1s. I've just really begun to notice that there are many of us who have a tendency to get so ultra focused, motivated, eager, hopeful, impatient, etc., that eventually we are frustrated, discouraged, down, and stressed to the point that we could be harming ourselves as much as we are trying to help ourselves. I'm a control freak, and unfortunately I inadvertently apply that approach to whatever I'm trying to improve at the time. THAT is my problem, not the endeavors themselves. I think I've been that way since inside the womb and it's a tough bell to unring!

I'm trying to consciously keep myself from escaping one train wreck only to be approaching the location of another, if you know what I mean!

Sticking with my thyroid as my number one focus is where all of my money will be for a while now. Amen.
    I hear you Jen! I am not putting as much energy into these things any more. I'm continuing the journalling cos' it's really helping me process my emotions. But other than that, I'm going to go through the motions of the health stuff. I don't want it to be such an obsession any more. I'm actually going out and living my life again, which is more healing than anything.

Just wondering: how well versed are you in the thyroid stuff? I'm reading a lot about it and it's so interesting...

- Ray Peat