Page 32 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 32

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I agree - there's a balance to be struck, and that balance is prob different for everyone.

I think, for me, quitting everything is not balanced either - it's more like a reaction. I think this is about identifying what is /isn't helpful, and taking / leaving those things. THe calorie counting is not helpful, the journalling and educating myself is. If I hadn't started this journal I never would have realised the thyroid symptoms, and I wouldnt have figured out the sleep thing. There are definite benefits, but yeah, losing sight of the balance is the danger...

In what way do you think you're losing health over it?
    Yes, this is exactly it. It's really difficult to find that balance, but I hope you do. It looks like you're already on the right track. Always reevaluate. Always ask yourself, "is this really helpful?" Because things change and it's easy to miss - or deny - it.

Don't get me wrong, journaling (and reading everything ever written about digestion, nutrition, allergies, etc. in the history of ever) led me to discoveries that have changed my life. But in the past few months I've stalled in my healing and nothing I seem to do is working. I'm getting more labs done in about a month (hopefully sooner) and so, in the meantime, hysterically re-reading everything I've ever read looking for clues and recording every action and thought I do or make looking for clues is making me just that: hysterical. I'm burnt out beyond belief, I'm distracted, I'm obsessive, I'm anxious, I second guess every move I make... It's just no bueno. I'm taking a step back from detective work and will decide on a game plan after my testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    But seriously, Primal did help me a lot. I'm thankful for this experience, but it's time to focus my energy elsewhere. Redirecting energy can be so hard, though. Maybe we can help each other with that, instead? We can still be Primal.... But instead of trying to imitate eating habits of cavemen, we can imitate their "not giving a fuck" attitude toward nearly everything. I keep reminding myself that being stress free, low maintenance, keeping positive energy, and well-adapted are all as important as they say eating meat & veg is.
    "Carefree attitude" should be prescribed by doctors. It might even cure cancer.

The amount of people I know who are happy, healthy, active, and getting the most out of life and simultaneously seem to use their bodies as a disposal for drugs, alcohol, and food we would recoil with fear at is astounding. Makes you think... (But don't think too hard! That goes against the carefree attitude...)

Edit: This post sounded extremely sarcastic but I'm actually 100% serious.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    You say: "Focusing on "health" is not the answer to all my problems. It's multi-factoral. I need to focus more on love, and less on the imperfections."

I say health is multi-factoral. I had many years of therapy before my journey started in 2009. During that therapy I finally learned my self worth and that it had nothing to with how I looked, how much I weighed, or what other people thought/felt about me.

I hope telling you my story helps in some way.
    Marcadav, thanks so much for sharing all that! I'm really glad you found answers.

I used "health" with inverted commas cos' I realise that "health" is not just about the physical... and yet I spent the last year being obsessed with just the physical aspect of wellness. There is so much more going on: mentally, emotionally, spiritually. Our hormones are crucial, but yeah, they are just one aspect

Thanks again for all your advice on the doctor thread! I'll be asking my doc for all those tests on tuesday
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Yes, this is exactly it. It's really difficult to find that balance, but I hope you do. It looks like you're already on the right track. Always reevaluate. Always ask yourself, "is this really helpful?" Because things change and it's easy to miss - or deny - it.

Don't get me wrong, journaling (and reading everything ever written about digestion, nutrition, allergies, etc. in the history of ever) led me to discoveries that have changed my life. But in the past few months I've stalled in my healing and nothing I seem to do is working. I'm getting more labs done in about a month (hopefully sooner) and so, in the meantime, hysterically re-reading everything I've ever read looking for clues and recording every action and thought I do or make looking for clues is making me just that: hysterical. I'm burnt out beyond belief, I'm distracted, I'm obsessive, I'm anxious, I second guess every move I make... It's just no bueno. I'm taking a step back from detective work and will decide on a game plan after my testing.
    Oh man, I completely know what you mean... "If only I could fix this, everything would be okay!"

When you speak of "healing", what are you trying to heal?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Well, I still like having my journal on here, though. And I don't know what this means for my eating habits, anymore. Maybe we can just troll around like the others, haha.

But seriously, Primal did help me a lot. I'm thankful for this experience, but it's time to focus my energy elsewhere. Redirecting energy can be so hard, though. Maybe we can help each other with that, instead? We can still be Primal.... But instead of trying to imitate eating habits of cavemen, we can imitate their "not giving a fuck" attitude toward nearly everything. I keep reminding myself that being stress free, low maintenance, keeping positive energy, and well-adapted are all as important as they say eating meat & veg is.
    + 1o million!!

I'm really glad we hit the same realisation at the same time

- Ray Peat

Little update:

Went out tonight and actually wore a cool dress. First time on a night out in ages I haven't worn black / the least revealing thing I own. I don't care anymore - I have too many nice clothes to waste waiting for when I'm going to have my skinny body back.

Also - interesting moment with body temp: I was in the bar, not warm, and as soon as I took off my coat I started to flush! Even my mates noticed it. I put my coat back on, and the flush immediately dissipated.

On that matter, Steve said to me:
    Flushes happen when your brain abruptly switches to a lower setpoint, suddenly leaving you WAY warmer than your new setpoint. Your instincts were good. By staying warm you denied your brain's intent to suddenly drop your temperature, so it gave up and went back to its previous normal setpoint.
    This stuff is all pretty mad...

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Oh man, I completely know what you mean... "If only I could fix this, everything would be okay!"

When you speak of "healing", what are you trying to heal?
    Exactly. *eye twitch*

Leaky gut / dysbiosis. I've gotten rid of the arthritis, the headaches, and the depression, but there is still something completely off with my stomach. Pretty much everything I eat except for white rice and perfectly plain meat yields a 4-month pregnant belly and most fruits and vegetables induce severe pain. All of this would point towards fructose malabsorption, SIBO, or candida, but they've all come back negative. H. Pylori too. I'm waiting to take a more comprehensive bacteria and parasite test... I'm running out of answers here.

Good on you for having fun tonight! When you took off your jacket, did you feel cold? If so, that is kind of in line with my "I sweat more when I'm cold" thing. So strange.

...How long has that Chris Kresser quote been in your sig?

Zach is offline Banned
    Exactly. *eye twitch*

Leaky gut / dysbiosis. I've gotten rid of the arthritis, the headaches, and the depression, but there is still something completely off with my stomach. Pretty much everything I eat except for white rice and perfectly plain meat yields a 4-month pregnant belly and most fruits and vegetables induce severe pain. All of this would point towards fructose malabsorption, SIBO, or candida, but they've all come back negative. H. Pylori too. I'm waiting to take a more comprehensive bacteria and parasite test... I'm running out of answers here.

Good on you for having fun tonight! When you took off your jacket, did you feel cold? If so, that is kind of in line with my "I sweat more when I'm cold" thing. So strange.

...How long has that Chris Kresser quote been in your sig?
    This has probably been answered but are you hypothyroid? I doubt its parasites, candida or any other far fetched thing. Most likely you are just sick, have low stomach acid and you are not digesting correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    This has probably been answered but are you hypothyroid? I doubt its parasites, candida or any other far fetched thing. Most likely you are just sick, have low stomach acid and you are not digesting correctly.
    Hi Zach - My thyroid has been checked (normal). I've been told by a naturopath that I have low stomach acid but HCL made me so much worse (stomach hard as a rock and sore). My gut was in much worse of a state then so it's possible it was too sensitive for the HCL then but might not be now? Starting those up again was actually going to be my next experiment.

To give you an idea of what my stomach has been through: years of gluten and dairy without knowing it was making me sick, 8+ years of multiple doses of ibuprofen daily (for treatment of said undiagnosed intolerances) and my case for the parasites/bacteria thing is that I worked with horses for 10 years (and would often walk around with a sandwich in one hand and dirty supplies in another. Smart. I know) . I was doing great off of gluten and dairy for a while until I caught a bacterial infection that left me vomiting for a week. Since then my health has never been the same. My guess is that it destroyed my gut flora. I take capsuled probiotics as well fermented veggies but they make it worse. I've been told it gets worse before it gets better, but it's hard to purposefully make yourself feel like more shit than you actually do.

So that's essentially my story. If you have any insight, I would more than appreciate it.

And sorry for hijacking YB's thread.

Zach is offline Banned
    PrimalCon New York
    Hi Zach - My thyroid has been checked (normal). I've been told by a naturopath that I have low stomach acid but HCL made me so much worse (stomach hard as a rock and sore). My gut was in much worse of a state then so it's possible it was too sensitive for the HCL then but might not be now? Starting those up again was actually going to be my next experiment.

To give you an idea of what my stomach has been through: years of gluten and dairy without knowing it was making me sick, 8+ years of multiple doses of ibuprofen daily (for treatment of said undiagnosed intolerances) and my case for the parasites/bacteria thing is that I worked with horses for 10 years (and would often walk around with a sandwich in one hand and dirty supplies in another. Smart. I know) . I was doing great off of gluten and dairy for a while until I caught a bacterial infection that left me vomiting for a week. Since then my health has never been the same. My guess is that it destroyed my gut flora. I take capsuled probiotics as well fermented veggies but they make it worse. I've been told it gets worse before it gets better, but it's hard to purposefully make yourself feel like more shit than you actually do.

So that's essentially my story. If you have any insight, I would more than appreciate it.

And sorry for hijacking YB's thread.
    Do you have any hypo symptoms? Unless you got a full thyroid panel, TSH means close to nothing. Im not super versed in gut flora, parasites and bacteria but it seems to me that under an optimal metabolism with a fully functioning thyroid and a high body temp that things seem to just fall in place that previously were a mystery.

I suppose you certainly could have ruined your got flora or your stomach acid production from all that ibuprofen and maybe that allows harmful stuff to flourish but i have not seen that be the case pretty much ever. Not saying it doesnt happen.

What do you eat if everything besides meat and white rice makes you sick?