Page 31 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 31

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I absolutely urge you to quit primal if you ever hope to be normal again. Not joking.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    The more time you spend thinking about an issue, the more of an issue you let it become. There is a line between actively trying to solve a problem and obsessing over it, which will just make it worse.

I urge you not to give up on primal/paleo just yet, but to stop counting, stop journaling, stop reading. Just take what you've learned so far and see what plays out when you just go out and live your life. I'm even going to take my own advice and put down my own journal (which I've been keeping every day for the past 238 days = 34 weeks = 8.5 months!). I've learned more about my health and digestion than I would have otherwise, but it's gotten to a point where I am no longer benefiting from it; I'm actually losing health because of it. Maybe you're at that place too?
    I agree - there's a balance to be struck, and that balance is prob different for everyone.

I think, for me, quitting everything is not balanced either - it's more like a reaction. I think this is about identifying what is /isn't helpful, and taking / leaving those things. THe calorie counting is not helpful, the journalling and educating myself is. If I hadn't started this journal I never would have realised the thyroid symptoms, and I wouldnt have figured out the sleep thing. There are definite benefits, but yeah, losing sight of the balance is the danger...

In what way do you think you're losing health over it?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I absolutely urge you to quit primal if you ever hope to be normal again. Not joking.
    Where did you get the idea that I was normal to begin?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Where did you get the idea that I was normal to begin?
    Well, many people begin this diet(yes, it's a diet) with horrible health and in need of a miracle. You began this diet while already young, lean, and healthy, but just with an unhealthy attitude towards food. The only thing primal eating has done for you imo is give your unhealthy attitude towards food an even unhealthier orthorexia mindset.

I'm the same. I'm young, lean, healthy, and I don't need a really strict diet to add unwanted stress. You only live once, why spend it trying to live longer while at the same time forgetting to live?

As my idol James Dean said:

"Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse."
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    GREAT! Hold on to these thoughts!!

There are many, many of us for which finding a healthy balance is next to impossible and we tend to be a little (or a lot) OCD in all endeavors. It seems like in our attempts to quit certain unhealthy habits such as restricting, counting, and obsessing, we just replace those practices with experiments. Well, of course, those experiments involve planning, monitoring, assessing feedback and tweaking accordingly..... and then, we realize we're still in that same cycle but with different variables plugged into the equation!

I'm not saying that all of our efforts should be thrown out the window and that we should give up on bettering our health, but that we should work on balance first and foremost. The stress of navigating these waters without it is harming our health more than the things we did back when we didn't give a rip!
    You're right in a way - the experiments have been the new obsession, but they've been an empowering one. They have allowed me to channel that obsessive energy into learning and growing.

Before I was freewheeling: out of control. The experiments were a framework, like stabilisers on a bicycle. They were always meant to come off But it will be gradual - no point in throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

In my case I've had to take a big interest in my health or else I probably would have ended up under a train (not exaggerating)

- Ray Peat

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    You only live once, why spend it trying to live longer while at the same time forgetting to live?
    Ooh. Good one!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You're right in a way - the experiments have been the new obsession, but they've been an empowering one. They have allowed me to channel that obsessive energy into learning and growing.

Before I was freewheeling: out of control. The experiments were a framework, like stabilisers on a bicycle. They were always meant to come off But it will be gradual - no point in throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

In my case I've had to take a big interest in my health or else I probably would have ended up under a train (not exaggerating)
    Oh, I get that completely since the same is absolutely true in my case. I've had these (re-)revelations lately while working my own recent n=1s. I've just really begun to notice that there are many of us who have a tendency to get so ultra focused, motivated, eager, hopeful, impatient, etc., that eventually we are frustrated, discouraged, down, and stressed to the point that we could be harming ourselves as much as we are trying to help ourselves. I'm a control freak, and unfortunately I inadvertently apply that approach to whatever I'm trying to improve at the time. THAT is my problem, not the endeavors themselves. I think I've been that way since inside the womb and it's a tough bell to unring!

I'm trying to consciously keep myself from escaping one train wreck only to be approaching the location of another, if you know what I mean!

Sticking with my thyroid as my number one focus is where all of my money will be for a while now. Amen.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Well, many people begin this diet(yes, it's a diet) with horrible health and in need of a miracle. You began this diet while already young, lean, and healthy, but just with an unhealthy attitude towards food. The only thing primal eating has done for you imo is give your unhealthy attitude towards food an even unhealthier orthorexia mindset.

I'm the same. I'm young, lean, healthy, and I don't need a really strict diet to add unwanted stress. You only live once, why spend it trying to live longer while at the same time forgetting to live?

As my idol James Dean said:

"Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse."
    You're right about a lot of that dude. But I wouldn't say I was healthy. I was very stressed, depressed, had insomnia, and severe energy crashes: all of which stopped me from living my life. Everything I've done in my life (yoga, therapy, reiki, veganism, primal) have been done with the goal of getting over the depression: I have always refused to accept it, because if I did I would have ended up under a train (not saying that lightly).

So I didn't begin this to live forever, but to help me live today.

And yeah, I took it too far, but that's not Primal's fault: I would have taken anything too far. I'm an extremist. But at least I see that now. I've been wrong so many times that balance is the only option left!

Oh, and it's not a diet: it's a religion
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-20-2013 at 11:32 AM.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Oh my gods, you're so right in every way. Really. I came to Primal in a similar way, and now that I've gained back my weight, the orthorexia is still here. I'm no longer fixing anything.

But -- forgetting to live while trying to live longer -- Mind blown. That is exactly what I am doing and didn't even realize it until now. What the fuck.

It is literally the worst waste of time I can think of.
    Looks like we're all going to have to find another forum so we can continue to hang out

- Ray Peat

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    YB, I've had thyroid disease for 12+ years. I also have other hormonal issues and I seem to be permanently perimenopausal at 56. During the first 8 years of my thyroid mess I gained a great deal of weight, got sicker and sicker, and fired/changed doctor after doctor that said it was due to the stress I was under, depression(therapist disagreed) and that if I would just lose weight things would improve.

In desperation in 2008 I went to a new doctor. I told her I knew my issues were thyroid related. I begged her to increased my meds for 6 weeks to see what happened. She agreed to the smallest increase (12.5mcg). It made a world of difference.

At the end of 2008, about six months later, I felt better than I had in years and knew I had to make a change because I was still obese and, more importantly heading for diabetes-- a disease that runs rampant in my family.

I told myself I could stay obese (thyroid disease taught me I had no control over what I weighed) if I got and stayed healthy. I made a plan that outlined what healthy meant to me. I decided since low carb eating(didn't earn about primal until 2010) worked in the past that I would go that route.

I mentally prepared to implement my plan starting January 1, 2009. I was very clear about what I knew I would do and what I knew I wouldn't. Health, specifically avoiding diabetes, and daily choices were what I focused on.

I didn't count calories, I didn't track macros. I did track BGL. I weighed and measured myself but only as a way to record what was happening.

By January 1, 2010 my cholesterol, FBGL, insulin, HbA1c were stellar. I was off a ton of medications. I went from walking 5 minutes to being able to go for over 5 miles.

I was healthy. I had met my goal. And, the scale said I was down 50+ lbs.

There have been bumps in the road. Those bumps generally indicate a need for a thyroid med change. But I have maintained my health and my weight.

I tell you this to let you know that my experience has taught me that if you (general) really focus on health and daily choices success can/will follow.

You say: "Focusing on "health" is not the answer to all my problems. It's multi-factoral. I need to focus more on love, and less on the imperfections."

I say health is multi-factoral. I had many years of therapy before my journey started in 2009. During that therapy I finally learned my self worth and that it had nothing to with how I looked, how much I weighed, or what other people thought/felt about me.

I hope telling you my story helps in some way.