Page 30 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 30

  1. #291
    ombat's Avatar
    ombat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,507
    Primal Fuel
    @PaleoMom: Oh, I see. Well, I still think that's a better place to be


    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Ombat, thank you for the sweet message! As I just said to

    Cierra, I'm a bit embarrassed about writing all that... bloody hell, Insecure Street! London has not been good for my confidence. It's so competitive in every way. But you know what, this experiment has really just made me think fuck it. I still have (big) moments of panic, but in general life is too short to stress about it for long. What sucks is wardrobe limitations - I love tight jeans and sparkely tops, but now I'm limited to skirts and dresses.
    Don't be embarassed; this BS is engrained in us. Of course we want to look great and be able to wear whatever the hell we want. Even at my smallest I would never wear tights without a long shirt because I hated the shape of my thighs. I was 101 effing pounds. What madness is that? Can you imagine how I must feel now at a whopping 114 pounds? (That's a joke). It's actually so absurd it's comical. How clinically mental does one have to be?... I am laughing right now as I write this.

    I was tossing around the idea of cutting cals, but I don't think I can face it right now... maybe at the end of the month, when things have settled a bit... it's all too mad right now. Are you planning to cut, or go with the flow?
    What exactly would cutting cals look like for you? IIRC you're just eating to appetite right now, but I think eating to appetite is probably more than one really needs If you feel like you can sustain under what you are currently eating, then what's the harm? If not, then please don't make yourself crazy. You should do whatever makes you feel best. From what you just wrote, actively cutting might not make you feel best.

    As for me, I recently tracked my "eat to appetite" calories out of curiously and I am sometimes not even breaking 1800 cals. So... no on the cutting. My priorities right now have been on getting more exercise - hiking and lifting - not food.

    Thanks for that article! I actually found this one this morning, which I loved and thought was beautiful. I really like Matt Stone's attitude. http://180degreehealth.com/2013/04/t...-trouble-spots
    That is a great article. It speaks to the greatest place I've come to recently, which is the realization that a bit of stomach pooch is not going to be the deciding factor on whether somebody loves me or not. This seems like more than bit of a duh but obviously it isn't. We see ourselves through the most distorted of lenses... If you are a good person you will be loved for who you are and no one who is worth anything at all will give a flying f---- what you look like (besides you, of course). If you are selfish and negative you could wear size 00 jeggings and you're still never going to get anything valuable out of life. I see this over and over again and know that it is true. It isn't just a dream. It's really tough to think this way when you're feeling badly, though. Whether it be from lack of sleep (how close to bedtime are you eating?), low temps, whathaveyou. You think, "well, if I'm going to feel like crap, can't I at least be skinny?" Yeah. And I'm sorry about what's happening on the other thread, but I don't think they mean to be hurtful. There is conventional wisdom wherever you go, even on MDA.

    Be strong and be healthy. Get exercise. Eat what makes you feel good. Be a valuable human being and spend time with people of equal if not greater worth. I know it's more complicated than that, but hopefully when you get some of these other issues under control it won't be.

    Well, how far off topic have we strayed today, Emma? orz
    *off to ramble at someone else now*

  2. #292
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    I think it was either Peat or Andrew Kim that said cholesterol means fuck all except that low is bad. He said some hunter gatherer cultures had cholestoral over 1000 and were perfectly healthy.

    I thinl coconut oil and fructose can raise cholesterol temporarily. I really wouldnt worry about it at all. I sure dont. Making T3 and taking care of temp is much more important.

  3. #293
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    Was I part of the problem on the other thread? If so, it's a misunderstanding. I meant a diet change for ONE day, not all together. I'm probably being paranoid. Insecure? Yes

  4. #294
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Was I part of the problem on the other thread? If so, it's a misunderstanding. I meant a diet change for ONE day, not all together. I'm probably being paranoid. Insecure? Yes
    NO - Not you at all! There was two early on posters who basically said this was definitely a cause for concern, and cited my reading Ray Peat and eating frequent meals as the cause of the high cholesterol. Yeah, I'm sure it's nothing to do with the fact that I eat Creme Fraiche from the carton and coconut oil off a spoon...

    Still angry
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  5. #295
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I think it was either Peat or Andrew Kim that said cholesterol means fuck all except that low is bad. He said some hunter gatherer cultures had cholestoral over 1000 and were perfectly healthy.

    I thinl coconut oil and fructose can raise cholesterol temporarily. I really wouldnt worry about it at all. I sure dont. Making T3 and taking care of temp is much more important.


    I am worried though
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  6. #296
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    What exactly would cutting cals look like for you? IIRC you're just eating to appetite right now, but I think eating to appetite is probably more than one really needs If you feel like you can sustain under what you are currently eating, then what's the harm? If not, then please don't make yourself crazy. You should do whatever makes you feel best. From what you just wrote, actively cutting might not make you feel best.

    As for me, I recently tracked my "eat to appetite" calories out of curiously and I am sometimes not even breaking 1800 cals. So... no on the cutting. My priorities right now have been on getting more exercise - hiking and lifting - not food.

    That is a great article. It speaks to the greatest place I've come to recently, which is the realization that a bit of stomach pooch is not going to be the deciding factor on whether somebody loves me or not. This seems like more than bit of a duh but obviously it isn't. We see ourselves through the most distorted of lenses... If you are a good person you will be loved for who you are and no one who is worth anything at all will give a flying f---- what you look like (besides you, of course). If you are selfish and negative you could wear size 00 jeggings and you're still never going to get anything valuable out of life. I see this over and over again and know that it is true. It isn't just a dream. It's really tough to think this way when you're feeling badly, though. Whether it be from lack of sleep (how close to bedtime are you eating?), low temps, whathaveyou. You think, "well, if I'm going to feel like crap, can't I at least be skinny?" Yeah. And I'm sorry about what's happening on the other thread, but I don't think they mean to be hurtful. There is conventional wisdom wherever you go, even on MDA.

    Be strong and be healthy. Get exercise. Eat what makes you feel good. Be a valuable human being and spend time with people of equal if not greater worth. I know it's more complicated than that, but hopefully when you get some of these other issues under control it won't be.

    Well, how far off topic have we strayed today, Emma? orz
    *off to ramble at someone else now*
    That is sweet advice Emma... thank you.

    I'm actually on the verge of ditching the whole "primal" woe as I don't know if having a restrictive diet is actually helping me in any way. I think I want my priority to be enjoying my life and not caring about weight or illnesses. Eating "healthy" doesn't seem to be helping with either of those things anyway... Keeping warm has been having much more of an effect!!!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  7. #297
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    R.B.T

    Entry Seven: Thoughts streaming


    Getting my bloods back yesterday made something hit home.

    I've been into this diet stuff for a year now. All that's happened in that time is that I've gained 14 lbs, my cholesterol has gone through the roof, I've gotten loads more wrinkles and I might have a thyroid condition.

    It made me think of my mum. She's been sick for about 31 years (since I was born), and has spent the last 15 years seeing doctors. She's on more and more medication and they keep finding new things wrong with her (most recently a lump on her spine ).

    I've thought in the past that going to the docs has made her sicker. When you channel negative energy into health it ends up becoming a reality. But I've been doing the exact same with diet.

    Focusing on "health" is not the answer to all my problems. It's multi-factoral. I need to focus more on love, and less on the imperfections.

    Sleep:
    Good. On and off: 12.30am - 12.30pm: about 11 hours. I was exhausted.

    Temperature:
    Not checking today.

    Food:
    Not counting any more.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  8. #298
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post


    I am worried though
    Ditch the excess fat then.

  9. #299
    ombat's Avatar
    ombat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,507
    The more time you spend thinking about an issue, the more of an issue you let it become. There is a line between actively trying to solve a problem and obsessing over it, which will just make it worse.

    I urge you not to give up on primal/paleo just yet, but to stop counting, stop journaling, stop reading. Just take what you've learned so far and see what plays out when you just go out and live your life. I'm even going to take my own advice and put down my own journal (which I've been keeping every day for the past 238 days = 34 weeks = 8.5 months!). I've learned more about my health and digestion than I would have otherwise, but it's gotten to a point where I am no longer benefiting from it; I'm actually losing health because of it. Maybe you're at that place too?

  10. #300
    GoJenGo's Avatar
    GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    R.B.T

    Entry Seven: Thoughts streaming


    Getting my bloods back yesterday made something hit home.

    I've been into this diet stuff for a year now. All that's happened in that time is that I've gained 14 lbs, my cholesterol has gone through the roof, I've gotten loads more wrinkles and I might have a thyroid condition.

    It made me think of my mum. She's been sick for about 31 years (since I was born), and has spent the last 15 years seeing doctors. She's on more and more medication and they keep finding new things wrong with her (most recently a lump on her spine ).

    I've thought in the past that going to the docs has made her sicker. When you channel negative energy into health it ends up becoming a reality. But I've been doing the exact same with diet.

    Focusing on "health" is not the answer to all my problems. It's multi-factoral. I need to focus more on love, and less on the imperfections.

    Sleep:
    Good. On and off: 12.30am - 12.30pm: about 11 hours. I was exhausted.

    Temperature:
    Not checking today.

    Food:
    Not counting any more.
    GREAT! Hold on to these thoughts!!

    There are many, many of us for which finding a healthy balance is next to impossible and we tend to be a little (or a lot) OCD in all endeavors. It seems like in our attempts to quit certain unhealthy habits such as restricting, counting, and obsessing, we just replace those practices with experiments. Well, of course, those experiments involve planning, monitoring, assessing feedback and tweaking accordingly..... and then, we realize we're still in that same cycle but with different variables plugged into the equation!

    I'm not saying that all of our efforts should be thrown out the window and that we should give up on bettering our health, but that we should work on balance first and foremost. The stress of navigating these waters without it is harming our health more than the things we did back when we didn't give a rip!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

    - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •