Page 3 of 244 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 3

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    The dry brushing on the face is amazing of course but to really amp it up for wrinkles and awesome skin try (after brushing) filling up the sink with cold water, hold your breath and dunk your face in as long as you can. Take a breath and repeat 1-2 more times. Really beautiful skin that is softer/smoother than a babies bum

For heat I like body brushing immediately before hopping into bed. I don't notice the warm effect it has at other times, but when I jump right under the covers I notice that within a few minutes I feel very warm and tingly all over. After brushing for many years I have found that it is important to have a really stiff brush. I use a very firm natural hair bristle brush on the face, but for the body I have one that is made with some kind of vegetable bristle that can do a much better job than the hair bristle brushes. I buy them locally but they are from Bernard Jensen - ah.. here is the link Skin Brush Combo those brushes are miles better than any others I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

My body is telling me I need it: I know I don't, but I'm trying to go with it. I'm just waiting for something to happen. I don't know what! Anyway... sorry for the verbal regurgitation! I feel really frustrated today, cos I don't see anything improving.
    What makes you think your body is telling you it wants something that it doesn't need? I know this is hard and uncomfortable on many levels. I don't like the way I look or feel right now but I know that to ever achieve truly vibrant over the top health that this process is necessary. It won't last forever. I think your body is screaming at you as loud as it can to tell you what it needs to do the work it wants to do. This isn't going to make us look great in a month or less. I will feel lucky if it happens in 6 months.

If it helps at all start asking men around you to pick out pictures of women they find to be ideal. I think you'll find they aren't after protruding hip bones as much as a good muscle base with a moderately softening layer of fat on top. I know that being super skinny can feel better to us for various reasons but when trying to heal it can somewhat help to realize that men don't find runway models attractive.

(((Hugs)))

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    I love how being that thin makes me feel vulnerable and powerful at the same time.

This for me is the essence of my ED. Wow, only someone who has lived it could write that, there is such a feeling with thinness, this phrase has had me thinking it over since I read it yesterday.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    What makes you think your body is telling you it wants something that it doesn't need? I know this is hard and uncomfortable on many levels. I don't like the way I look or feel right now but I know that to ever achieve truly vibrant over the top health that this process is necessary. It won't last forever. I think your body is screaming at you as loud as it can to tell you what it needs to do the work it wants to do. This isn't going to make us look great in a month or less. I will feel lucky if it happens in 6 months.

If it helps at all start asking men around you to pick out pictures of women they find to be ideal. I think you'll find they aren't after protruding hip bones as much as a good muscle base with a moderately softening layer of fat on top. I know that being super skinny can feel better to us for various reasons but when trying to heal it can somewhat help to realize that men don't find runway models attractive.

(((Hugs)))
    You're such a sweet heart Paleomom - thanks for the support! My body temp also bummed me out a bit... plus I've gained 4 lbs But mostly I'm concerned that I am eating so much every day - I was aiming for 2.5K, but it's been over 3.5K every day for nearly two weeks...I just can't stop eating. It's so contradictory to how other people get what they want (thinness) and I'm scared that I'm just using it as an excuse to eat too much. Feel like I should be going for therapy: not eating! ha. But that hasn't worked in the past. It feels like I've no other recourse.

I'm really trusting in the unknown, and in this bizarre theory of healing, and it helps a lot that you and a few others are on the journey too. And you're totally right - this is a long term plan. I think I was a bit delusional when I started - I half thought I was going to lose weight..ha!

Cheers for the skin brushing tips - I'm all about the wrinkle prevention atm I just told Dexy about this massage technique that is supposed to herald great results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrceQS7qdaI We could start a new thread documenting our success with that too

Hugs back!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    I love how being that thin makes me feel vulnerable and powerful at the same time.

This for me is the essence of my ED. Wow, only someone who has lived it could write that, there is such a feeling with thinness, this phrase has had me thinking it over since I read it yesterday.
    I'm glad it resonated with you Dex When I'm that thin I feel like a delicate, rare flower that women seem to envy, and men want to protect. The displacement of their energy onto me gives me power, and confidence in my fragility. Plus there's the sense of being in control of how people perceive me by being in control of my body. At least that's how it happens for me...

By the way, I found this japanese facial massage for wrinkles The woman who created it is 63 - she looks like she's in her early 30's. Am going to start tomorrow, ha Tanaka Face Massage Part 1 (English) - YouTube
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-25-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

E.M.T.W.L

Entry Seven
    : Vulnerable and powerful.

I've been writing a lot today about the darkness of my ED, and the places within myself that it's carried me to.

I always aimed for the feelings of control, rarity and beauty that come with thinness... but I invariably descended into lack of control and powerlessness. The ED is just a reflection of what goes on inside. Deep down I feel like a failure: it manifests as "I can't even succeed at being thin".

Anyway, it's been a heavy day. Literally - I'm up 4 lbs. I don't know what I was expecting, eating 3.5K cals a day, but in some deluded way I actually thought I was going to lose weight. I'm sick of wearing black

Sleep:
    I am so pissed off about my sleep. Last night it was only four hours: 12.30am - 4.30am. How am I not sleeping when I'm eating so much? Normally 2k cals would be enough to assure me a good night's sleep. This insomnia is the bane of my life (along with my curvacious hips )

Temperature:
    Finally bought a thermometer and I was a bit shocked this morning when my temperature read at 35.5C (95.9F). The recommend basal body temp is 36.7C (98F). I knew I was crap at regulating my body temp, but I didn't realise it was this low. I'm a bit freaked out that I might be hypothyroid. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Exercise:
    Cycled for half an hour.

Food:
    CALS |FAT | CARBS | PROT
    3669 |117.6 | 501.4 | 161.5

Raspberries, frozen 80 grams
    82 0 21 1
    Banana, raw 2 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)
    210 1 54 3
    Ground beef, regular, cooked 500 grams
    1378 93 0 127
    White potato 3.5 small (1-3/4" to 2-1/4" dia, raw)
    453 11 85 7
    Onken Natural Set Biopot Yogurt 180 grams
    130 7 10 7
    Pineapple, melon, blueberry, apple mix 640 grams
    243 0 56 0
    Puddings, rice, low fat 520 grams
    473 7 86 17
    Honey 230 grams
    699 0 190 1

It was another day of hunger. My stomach feels like an insatiable little dog, constantly growling and begging for food. I'm ready for bed now and in spite of eating 3.7K cals, I'm hungry. I don't understand it. Paleomom said that when people come from backgrounds of restriction their bodies send huge hunger signals. But then I imagine the low carb dogma in my head saying that I feel hungry cos of blood sugar issues (from eating too many carbs). I guess only time will tell!

As my favourite poet Rumi said:

"This is love -
    To fly towards a secret sky"

g102736_data-0000-c8a0428b13ecb356011404389de2611b.jpg
    Last edited by YogaBare; 03-22-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Well, I have to admit that my comment on the cold helping with wrinkles was from reading others that had help with it. I've been lucky to not have any wrinkles yet, yikes, am I jinxing myself by saying that? I do keep my face out of the sun and always have and I haven't used any product of any kind on my face since high school- I don't know if that has helped or not.

I wouldn't stress TOO much about the low temp yet. I notice a huge correlation between good sleep and my body temp. If you get a good 8-9 hour solid and deep sleep and your temp is still that low then put some more thought into it. For now focus on improving the sleep and then see how that changes your temp.

E.M.T.W.L
    Entry Eight - Face of Flush

I bookmarked this section of Matt Stone's book when I first read it:
    With lowered mitochondrial activity food passes through the gut more slowly, which can lead to constipation and gas and bloating from excessive fermentation and putrefaction of the food... With lowered mitochondrial activity, the body temperature remains lower...
    Bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine is also something I believe can arise from a low body temperature, leading to other digestive problems, leaky gut syndrome, allergies, autoimmunity, mental/emotional disturbances, etc.
    - Matt Stone.

I've had GI issues for a long time, and these got the worst they've ever been when I was low carb. But since I started this "Eating More" campaign... I've been regular. I thought it might be due to the Alfalfa, or the body brushing. Then last night I read on the amazing Your Eatopia site:

"Gastroparesis is a survival mechanism whereby the stomach doubles its emptying time to the small intestine, meaning the food is churned in the stomach for longer to try to allow for the small intestine to maximize the too-little energy coming in to the body. Gastroparesis begins easing within a few days of doggedly staying at or above the minimum intake and it resolves quickly if you persist in eating the recovery guideline amounts, usually within a couple of weeks to a month. In fact the motility of the entire gut is slowed to try to extract as much energy as possible during starvation [M Hirakawa et. al., 1990] and this resolves during dedicated refeeding efforts."

Unbelievable.

Even though I started this journal noting that I've "probably" harmed my body with all the years of abuse, I didn't really believe it. And even though I can say I "have an ED"... I don't really believe it. I felt compelled to dismiss the articles on "Your Eatopia" because I'm not underweight. Then I read the symptoms of a restrictive ED and saw that what I'm going through - the voracious hunger, the bloating (my stomach, and now my face!), the suddenly regular bowel movements - are all textbook. It was comforting. And it gave me a bit more faith in this whole process.

Sleep:
    Not great, again. Went to sleep at 11.30pm, and woke at at 1.30am. Starving. Like, wanted to bite my arm off hungry. I had practically nothing in my fridge (a downside to this experiment {you know, apart from the insidious weight gain, bloating, feeling like I've lost my mind} is how much I have to shop!! I'm going grocery shopping every day, and I still have NOTHING to eat!) but I just allowed myself to eat what was left in the fridge - some cheese, some yogurt, a bit of honey. Got back to sleep at 3.30am and had broken sleep til 8am.

Temperature:
    Checked it several times, and each time gave me a different reading! Woke up feeling quite warm, but the readings were: 35.8C (96.44F), 36.3C (97.34F), 36C (96.8) and a few more around the same. Average was prob 36.1C (96.98). Still not great, but I'm reassured that I'm not a corpse.

Exercise:
    Nada. Well, about 15 mins of yoga, but that's nothing. The most active thing I did was walk 40 seconds to the local shop... in my pyjamas (under my coat)! I actually feel like crap today, physically. My face is flushed and swollen, I'm exhausted, and my nose is a stream of clear water. Plus it was SNOWING. I actually don't care about exercising right now. I was afraid of losing muscle mass, but I'm pretty active as is so I'm not going to worry about it.

Food:
    CALS | FAT | CARBS| PROT
    3785 |176.4 |443.9 | 131.3

Olive oil 5 tablespoon
    597 68 0 0
    Coconut water, canned or bottled 2 can
    263 1 60 5
    Rice, cooked 2.5 cup, cooked
    532 4 109 10
    Wild Salmon, canned 218 grams
    283 12 0 44
    Banana, raw 4 large (8" to 8-7/8" long)
    484 2 124 6
    Creme Fraiche low fat 200 grams
    326 30 8 6
    Egg, whole, fried 3 medium
    228 18 1 16
    Butter 0.6 tablespoon
    61 7 0 0
    Sugar 3 teaspoon
    49 0 13 0
    Orange, raw 2 medium (2-5/8" dia)
    123 0 31 2
    Milk, 2% fat 1.2 cup
    146 6 14 10
    Seaweed, dried 10 grams
    30 0 5 3
    Honey 80 grams
    243 0 66 0
    Cheese, Parmesan, dry grated 60 grams
    259 17 2 23
    Onken Natural Set Biopot Yogurt 100 grams
    72 4 6 4
    Beets, cooked 50 grams
    31 1 5 1
    Coconut oil 0.5 tablespoon
    59 7 0 0

I can't remember ever experiencing hunger like I did over the last three days. I was ravenous every three hours, and it freaked me out. But I think it might be over... I had a small mountain of rice with salmon and seaweed for lunch and it took nearly 7 hours before I wanted to eat again... and then it was just bananas, honey and creme fraiche. Still 3.8K cals though!

And at the end of the day:
    A friend of mine is DJing tonight so I'm supposed to go clubbing... Am I ready for boozing, taking drugs, and staying up until tomorrow afternoon? Umm, no. I'm not going. I rarely do it these days, but it would be one of those nights, and it would be the worst thing for me right now. Even drinking wine last weekend really fucked up my sleep! Plus, in all honesty, I feel gross. I don't want to go through the hassle of finding something (black) to wear and then going out and still feeling unattractive. I'm not quite sure what excuse to give my friends. I haven't told them what I'm doing. My friends who know me well think I'm completely fucked up about food and they would roll their eyes at this, seeing it as another phase.

I'm so unbelievably grateful to the MDA people who are supporting me at this completely weird moment of my life.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 03-24-2013 at 07:13 AM.

- Ray Peat

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Lobe?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Lobe?
    Typo! I meant to write "This is not a love song" but I then liked the variation, ha

Hey Knife, btw - I remember reading a post of yours before where you said that when you started Primal you ate solidly for several months... Am I remembering right? Why do you think you did that?

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    [B]E.M.T.W.L

Even though I started this journal noting that I've "probably" harmed my body with all the years of abuse, I didn't really believe it. And even though I can say I "have an ED"... I don't really believe it. I felt compelled to dismiss the articles on "Your Eatopia" because I'm not underweight. Then I read the symptoms of a restrictive ED and saw that what I'm going through - the voracious hunger, the bloating (my stomach, and now my face!), the suddenly regular bowel movements - are all textbook. It was comforting. And it gave me a bit more faith in this whole process.
    Yes! This was my experience too. I've been so emotional about it all too lately and I'm not an emotional person. I'm weeping out of compassion for myself if that makes any sense. Keep up the journal, you make me feel like I have a friend along for this journey

Page 3 of 244 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast