Page 27 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 27

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Also I've been meaning to post a link to this article ever since you started talking about body temp. I just think it's pretty interesting that this guy is taking the complete opposite approach to fixing his metabolism - purposefully placing himself in cold environments in order to coerce his body into having to heat him up. It's very clever, but when you think about the body's survival mechanisms I don't know if it makes much sense. He does seem to be having some results though... Wonder what you and Zach think about this.
    About a year ago I was really into the cold baths. I gave it about 6 months or so. I stayed in for 30-60 minutes a day (most days but not every day) in temps of 45-60 degrees. I saw good things happening, but I didn't lose a pound, in fact I probably gained a bit during that period. I certainly didn't find I could eat more without gaining because of it. I did feel warmer though and was really hot in the night. I wasn't tracking body temp back then though, so I don't know how that was affected.

I think the most interesting info comes from Wim Hoff, the original "Iceman". He has a book out, "Becoming the Iceman".

I don't mean to nit pic people but if the cold worked Cronise say it does, he would be very trim by now and he would have lost the spare tire around the middle. It might not be huge, but it is there. The other thing is that he based the first idea of this on Phelps eating 12,000 calories a day. In an interview on Jimmy Fallon's show, Phelps says he has no idea how that rumor started and that he does not eat that much. He didn't, however, say how much he does eat.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Steve talks about that a lot. I can't find the exact quote, but he refers to it as "compensation".

Paleomom, if you're going to do it, then contact Steve directly... I posted on teh forum and he warned me not to try it myself. I'm going to contact him and make the donation he recommends. It's probably not worth trying to do it alone.
    I did see that warning. It was a bit worrisome. I'm going to try a bit longer on my own, but I'll think about contacting him.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Absolutely, and this was the main reason I tried it - not for body temp, although that was a nice bonus (while it lasted). Here are some things I've noticed:
    1. I have not binged or felt the need to over consume food since I started.
    2. If I have to delay a meal by a few hours due to a busy schedule or lack of planning I don't get anxious and start to panic like I usually would. I know I've been well fed (either that morning or the previous day) and that I'll get food soon enough and be able to eat as much of it as I need / want.
    3. Maybe I gained a few pounds or something, but I was really bloated (everywhere..), I felt like a heifer (serious body image issues), and I was kind of ok with it because I felt better emotionally all around. That was pretty big.

It's so liberating to not be controlled by food. I would not have taken this experience back for anything and I thank you and PaleoMom for being so courageous to try it and share your results.

Also I've been meaning to post a link to this article ever since you started talking about body temp. I just think it's pretty interesting that this guy is taking the complete opposite approach to fixing his metabolism - purposefully placing himself in cold environments in order to coerce his body into having to heat him up. It's very clever, but when you think about the body's survival mechanisms I don't know if it makes much sense. He does seem to be having some results though... Wonder what you and Zach think about this.
    Sounds like a pretty positive experience all round I had the same experience with hunger - I'm not afraid of it anymore. Oh, and it's my pleasure! Honestly, it's been so theraputic... I give all the kudos to Paleomom for having the brainwave and starting the process I might post my results in the thread now, but I still can't quite believe it so I'm holding back..!

Re. the cold water: I was going to try it but Zach recommended that it may not be optimal for people who are already in delicate health. Richfield recommends hot showers. That sounds way more manageable..!

If you think this is really the ticket it sounds like something that is very difficult to do on your own and very draining, just from what you wrote of your day... I mean, you're the one that lived it but that one day sounded like it felt like an eternity. You might actually add to your stress and do yourself further harm by trying to do this yourself.
    Yeah, you're right. I just ordered another thermometer (the one he recommends) and once I've tracked for a while I'll get in touch with him. Cheers
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    YB, what results are you holding back? Also what thermometor he recommend? Most digital ones are bullshit.

Ombat, i think cold water therapy can work for metabolism and becoming resiliant to temp change. It is not a good thing for fat loss and people with weak thyroids/adrenals. It is also good for pumping blood from core to extremeties and back which is healthy overal. People in cold climates have been doing it for ever to stay strong against cold weather.

Both hit and cold have their place i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    YB, what results are you holding back? Also what thermometor he recommend? Most digital ones are bullshit.
    My temperature was bottoming out, which was confusing me no end. Steve said not to take it under the pit, but to take it under the tongue, as far back into the mouth as possible (almost where your molars are). Taking it there, this morning have a basal temp of 36.2C (97.16F)!

Still low, but it's much better than what I previously thought i had to contend with. Under the pit is still 35.9C (96.62F).

He recommends the Vicks thermometer - think it's the same one Matt Stone suggests.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Yea i probably could have guessed that. Even in the mouth most digital thermometers can read a degree lower. Make sure the thermometor has been very well warmed up before taking temps.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    My temperature was bottoming out, which was confusing me no end. Steve said not to take it under the pit, but to take it under the tongue, as far back into the mouth as possible (almost where your molars are). Taking it there, this morning have a basal temp of 36.2C (97.16F)!

Still low, but it's much better than what I previously thought i had to contend with. Under the pit is still 35.9C (96.62F).

He recommends the Vicks thermometer - think it's the same one Matt Stone suggests.
    I use my glass thermometer mostly. The digital is pretty consistently a 1/2 degree lower even when I warm it up first

R.B.T

Entry Two: Twitches and Libido

Day two of temperature reset was both interesting and confusing.

Sleep:
    11.30pm - 6.45am. Another good sleep! Since dressing warmly for bed, my sleep has been really solid: no tossing or turning. I woke up feeling really groggy, which is unusual for me. It was the same yesterday morning too. Richfield actually said that this happens when you're at a higher temperature.

Temperature:
    So, apparently taking it under your pit is all wrong...! The ideal way is to take it under your tongue, towards your molars. Which means that my temperature is not as low as I thought it was. At all.

Woke up this morning with a basal tempt of 36.2C. Not ideal, but much better than 35.9C, which is what my under arm was reading! Jumped in the shower with a hot coffee and after 20 mins took my temperature. It was 37.7C (99.86F)! Wtf? Surely this is too high?

Went out wearing a ton of layers and even had a big scarf wrapped around my bum and tummy. Yeah, I looked pregnant - this could be useful for guilting people into giving me their seats on the underground Before I left my temp had just started to fall (it was back at 36.4C (97.52F) and when I got outside i started shivering and shaking, even though it was a lovely, sunny day.

Cycling around warmed me up eventually, and when I got home I was back up to 36.7C (98.06F). Bundled up super warm (covered in blankets) and spent most of the day working at my desk, maintaining a temp of... 37C (98.6F)! If my temp started to drop I added more blankets.

Went to a yoga class and had the usual embarrassment I always have when I do exercise in public: sweating profusely and going red. It's so annoying.

I'm in bed now and my temp is back down to 36.3C (97.34F).

My confusion is this:

- If I can spend a few hours during the day at 37C, does this mean I don't have low body temp, or did I do a successful reset?

- Why do I still feel cold when my temp is 37C? My nose was icey, and my feet were cold. If you're at 37C shouldn't you be warm?

Energy and Mood:
    Now, here's the interesting part. I've mentioned before that my bum is a perpetual icicle, so during this I've been focusing on keeping that warm as much as possible. So I was feeling pretty toasty down there today and... seriously, my libido has kicked back in! (I should probably mention that I've had little-to-no sex drive for about a year now...)

More on the physical - my right eye, and a part of my right calf were twitching all day! I also felt the same stimulation on my thyroid - but for several hours.

And finally - wow. The focus. I sat down and spent a solid four hours working on this project that I've been avoiding for months. Whenever I work on it I can normally only manage an hour cos I find it so frustrating. Four hours is intense.

Food:
    I'm distinctly noticing a reduction in appetite (though this has been happening incrementally for the last few weeks). I had a tiny breakfast, three eggs for lunch, a snack of banana, honey and dates, a before yoga snack of cottage cheese, and a sweet pototo. Literally five small meals. This is working great for me. I bumped up my calories with coconut oil and coconut water.

You know what? I feel free! I'm just eating the amounts that I want, when I want! I'm hoping that I've healed my metabolism enough that, along with my active life, this will lead to fat loss.

I'll add what I ate later - Fitday seems to be having a melt down. Think it was about 2.3K cals. No meat!

I'm still craving sugar. Without even trying I'm eating spoons of honey and adding sugar to my tea. I wonder if this is cos' sugar helps you absorb water?

Observations:
    On the note of water: I've noticed that I'm peeing way less, and when I do it's much darker than normal, even though I'm drinking a lot more. Which makes sense: hotter environment =>better for absorption.

Final thoughts:
    I contacted Steve Richfield and donated to his site, but haven't heard back from him...

On an up-note: had a bit of a revelation at my yoga class this evening. It was partner yoga, where we pair up with people and do poses today. I was paired with a pretty slim guy and I felt ginormous. My hips and thighs felt like a sumo wrestlers beside him. But then I had a moment of clarity. I realised he wasn't judging me for being curvy: he didn't think I was fat, in fact I don't think my body was even registering with him at all. When people meet they don't focus on specifics: they feel the overall essence, see the overall picture.

Women are way too hard on themselves.

Burn.jpg

“You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens”
    ~ Rumi
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-15-2013 at 03:47 PM.

- Ray Peat

R.B.T

Entry Three

Will keep this short today.

Sleep:
    12.30pm - 4.30am. Shitty. Couldn't get to sleep, and woke up after a few hours, sweating. Finally got back to sleep at 7am, slept for another two hours, felt terrible and groggy.

Temperature:
    Woke up this morning with a basal tempt of 36.3C. Which is good apparently! That's the morning cycling set point, according to Steve. Brought it up to 37C after my hot shower and maintained it there for most of the day. Whenever I felt it dropping I put on more clothes.

Steve said that 10% of people with low body temp can reset it as simply as taking the hot showers and dressing ridiculously warmly. I might be in that 10%!

Steve also says to look for cues that your temperature is dropping, and I've noticed that as soon as mine starts dropping I need to pee! If I add another jumper or whatever, the urge goes. Fascinating.

Energy and Mood:
    Unfortunately, I felt crap and knackered tired today. Never got over the morning grogginess.

Food:
    Was massively hungry today, and I enjoyed eating! It's so nice not to feel guilty about eating a lot. I even allowed myself some chocolate and funnily, I was satiated after a few bits. Normally I don't have an off button when it comes to chocolate. This is a big result

Screen Shot 2013-04-16 at 21.39.12.jpg

I'm still craving sugar, big time. This must be connected to the body temp somehow.

Final thoughts:
    I'm in touch with Steve now, which is great. He seems like a cool guy! We're talking symptoms etc. so I should know more tomorrow.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-17-2013 at 12:04 PM.

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you had a crappy day (other than the initial good temp). I would be groggy and hungry if I only got 4 hours of sleep too...

Thought you might find this interesting:

On Saturday around midnight I had an extremely large, salty, (primal) meal (it was our university's lu'au). I woke up Sunday morning feeling ill and couldn't stomach the idea of food until noon when I had a few fried eggs. I had to go out to dinner that evening, which was light: a bun-less burger, hand full of french fries, and a couple of bites of custard. Overall, markedly less food than I've been eating on a daily basis. Well, Monday and Tuesday I have been shoveling food down my face hole like it's going out of style. I really find it improbable that one day of undereating should elicit such a reaction. However, I did eat a little bit of dairy (sweet potatoes cooked in butter at the luau and the bite of custard) which I am pretty sensitive to (congestion, toxic reactions) and therefore do not eat except on very rare occasion like this one, so perhaps that is causing the hunger for some reason. Eating out, which I rarely do can also lead to cross contamination (gluten sensitive as well) so that could be another issue. Or it's completely psychological. Or it's a perfect storm. I have no idea.