Page 26 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 26

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks for that Zach... I'm unsure about going onto another restrictive diet though. It's always a recipe for disaster for me, I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

Would gelatinous cuts of red meat and fruit be a no-no? I thought Peat endorsed those things?

Also, thought you'd be interested in this: a guy on the body temp forum talks about how people raise body temp without any effort by following the 80:10:10 diet... bodytemp.eu View topic - Asian Carp 2013
    Yea meat and fruit is fine, just if you have a specific goal i believe in working towards that. Its easier to avoid eating disorders that way, they way you are eating now allows for many errors and so much variety makes it hard to figure out what works and what doesnt. For example, lots of fruits are actually detrimental for health because they are so unripe, also pesticides, pectin and other things. Peat only like a very limited group of fruits, most of which you would not be able to find. Fruit also is very cooling. That link is interesting but overwhelmingly i have found that frut and an 8/1/1 diet lead to lower temps. Doug Graham the author of that diet book actually believes that a low temo is beneficial, anywhere from 94-96 degrees! That diet can be awesome for fat loss and inflammation but not for heat. I think simple sugars or tubers/rice would be much more beneficial in that context. Same with excess meat, too many inflammatory aminos will shut down thyroid function, something you obviously dont want.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Rasing Body Temp
    Entry One: Initial reset.

Yesterday I spent the day trying to "reset".

"Resetting" differs from simply raising your temp. Everyone has a basic point that their temperatures cycle around throughout twenty four hours. Your temp raises and falls throughout the day, consciously or unconsciously, but always within its range. Resetting means that your temperature will cycle around a new high point, and have a higher range.

Resetting basically involves staying indoors all day covered in blankets, wearing tons of clothes and monitoring your temp til it gets to 37C. Once you reach 37C you're supposed to keep your temp there for three hours.

The highest I got it was 36.9C. This was after a piping hot shower and coffee, and I only lasted there for about half an hour... Most of the day I hovered around 36.3C / 36.4C (97.34F / 97.52F).

Observations:
    My legs, feet and hands were on fire for the whole day. My muscles were aching. I had absolutely no hunger or thirst. I forced myself to eat but only managed 1.4K cals.

By the time evening came I was really uncomfortable. Eventually I couldn't bear anymore - I stripped off a bit and actually cried a bit..! I felt exhausted by the heat.

Sleep
    I went to bed wearing: two pairs of leggings, three pairs of socks, PJ bottoms, strappy top, t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, jumper, robe, with a fleece blanket wrapped around my middle.

And the sleep was Epic! Conked at 11pm, slept til 7.30am, woke for half an hour, slept again til 10.30am. Practically 11 hours!!! A little bit of sweating, but not much. This is a great result.

I always thought that binging helped me sleep because my tummy was full. But it didn't always work: sometimes I would binge and have a crap sleep. Now I wonder if particular kinds of foods were responsible for the sleep because they raised my body temp. I always slept best after a sweet (rather than savoury) binge.

Let's see what tonight brings...

Today:
    I had plans and cabin fever, so no more lounging around under blankets and fur coats. Took a very hot shower, brought my coffee with me (Steve recommends that), and dressed as warmly as I would in the depths of winter... (today was the first nice day of spring :P)

I really noticed how in the shade or indoors I needed every stitch of clothing to feel warm, and in the sun I immediately started sweating. It's rare for me to find a happy medium.

I'm currently back in my house wearing two pairs of tights, three pairs of socks, trainers, vest, tshirt, long sleeve t-shirt, cashmere dress, fur waistcoat, winter coat, covered with a fleece blanket and I'm only marginally warm. It's not cold outside. Did I mention I'm indoors?

I also didn't have much of an appetite again today, but I managed to eat 2K cals. I didn't want to undereat again after undereating yesterday. Since I started doing this I'm also craving a lot of sugar?

Final thoughts:
    The most difficult thing about this is going to be dressing warm enough... I like clothes and having my own style, and it's pretty hard to dress the way you want when 1) you're 12 lbs over your "acceptable" weight, 2) You have to layer everything (makes you look even bigger).

I'm hoping that if I can correct my night-time body temp this will make day time regulation easier (Steve says that). But other than that, I think I might take thyroid supps. I just don't see how I'll manage to do this otherwise.

Also, Steve wrote back to my query on the forum. It freaked me out a bit. He said:
    WARNING: Until we understand things better, I suggest NOT pushing your temperature up any more than is comfortable, except during brief tests. While you are fiddling to find out what works, your Central Metabolic Control System is fiddling back, to determine what is needed to defeat your efforts. If you fiddle enough, you can make future resetting VERY difficult.
    I'm not sure what to make of that. I know I said I didn't want to "launch an attack" on my body, but at the same time, he knows a lot more about it than I do. I'm always distrustful of any kind of authority, but for once in my life maybe I could override my (arrogance?) He asks for a donation of $150... It might be worth it.

What do you guys think?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I think that's part of the problem with eating for heat... it seems to provide a solution for some cases of low body temp, but perhaps if the cases are chronic this solution is just temporary. I seem to just sweat off foods that raise my temp...
    Yeah, the effects were very temporary. If I didn't eat as much the next day, my hands were freezing again.

Do you feel this excercise helped with your binging? THat's the main thing I've gotten from it.
    Absolutely, and this was the main reason I tried it - not for body temp, although that was a nice bonus (while it lasted). Here are some things I've noticed:
    1. I have not binged or felt the need to over consume food since I started.
    2. If I have to delay a meal by a few hours due to a busy schedule or lack of planning I don't get anxious and start to panic like I usually would. I know I've been well fed (either that morning or the previous day) and that I'll get food soon enough and be able to eat as much of it as I need / want.
    3. Maybe I gained a few pounds or something, but I was really bloated (everywhere..), I felt like a heifer (serious body image issues), and I was kind of ok with it because I felt better emotionally all around. That was pretty big.

It's so liberating to not be controlled by food. I would not have taken this experience back for anything and I thank you and PaleoMom for being so courageous to try it and share your results.

Also I've been meaning to post a link to this article ever since you started talking about body temp. I just think it's pretty interesting that this guy is taking the complete opposite approach to fixing his metabolism - purposefully placing himself in cold environments in order to coerce his body into having to heat him up. It's very clever, but when you think about the body's survival mechanisms I don't know if it makes much sense. He does seem to be having some results though... Wonder what you and Zach think about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yea meat and fruit is fine, just if you have a specific goal i believe in working towards that. Its easier to avoid eating disorders that way, they way you are eating now allows for many errors and so much variety makes it hard to figure out what works and what doesnt. For example, lots of fruits are actually detrimental for health because they are so unripe, also pesticides, pectin and other things. Peat only like a very limited group of fruits, most of which you would not be able to find. Fruit also is very cooling. That link is interesting but overwhelmingly i have found that frut and an 8/1/1 diet lead to lower temps. Doug Graham the author of that diet book actually believes that a low temo is beneficial, anywhere from 94-96 degrees! That diet can be awesome for fat loss and inflammation but not for heat. I think simple sugars or tubers/rice would be much more beneficial in that context. Same with excess meat, too many inflammatory aminos will shut down thyroid function, something you obviously dont want.
    Well, the thing is I don't think I'm a million miles off Peat. I'm gradually tweaking the diet in that direction. Apart from fish intake, what else do you think I'm eating that is going the wrong way? (What do you think of Peat's anti-fish stance btw?)

I do believe in working towards a goal, but working towards fat loss never worked for me in the past, so I'm reluctant to take the same old approach (believing in a master diet)...

Yeah, I've cut way down on meat... And I've been consuming a lot of sugar and honey the last two days! I'm basically high carb these days, with protein and fat equal.

I did buy tropical water prawns today though

OH, also - ever since I heard of this Eat for Heat stuff, it's made me think of Traditional Indian medicine. They class some foods as inherently "warming".
    Favor sweet, sour and salty tastes. All dairy products, for example, are warming. Always boil milk before you drink it, and drink it warm, with a pinch of cardamom or dry ginger in it. Sweet lassi is an excellent lunchtime beverage.

Favor sweet, sour, heavy fruits, such as oranges, bananas, avocados, grapes, cherries, peaches, melons, berries, plums, pineapples, mangos and papayas.

Vegetables should be eaten cooked; reduce raw salads. Beets, carrots, asparagus and sweet potatoes are good choices.

In moderate quantities, the following vegetables are also fine, especially if they are cooked with Ghee: peas, green leafy vegetables (chopped small, with thick fibrous parts discarded), broccoli, cauliflower, celery, zucchini and potatoes.

Warming spices include cardamom, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, salt, cloves, mustard seed and black pepper in moderation. Cook with it rather than sprinkling it on prepared foods as the preferred way of assimilating the benefits of the spices.

Avoid bitter, pungent and astringent foods.
    Watcha think?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    I agree that cold water fish is probably not the best thing for thyroid. Also the amount of heavy metals adds to that. Shellfish and muscles are probably safer.

Keep doing what you think is working, you will probably lose fat on this experimet anyway. I would agree with that dude that you shouldnt push your heat up like you are because it sounds like your body fights it fiercely, when you said you dropped down to 94 the other day, that worried me. Maybe work on sleep only and see where it goes from there.

I also think that yes, pay the man and see what he has to say. This sounds very complicated to get correctly and a bit dangerous.

I'm not sure what to make of that. I know I said I didn't want to "launch an attack" on my body, but at the same time, he knows a lot more about it than I do. I'm always distrustful of any kind of authority, but for once in my life maybe I could override my (arrogance?) He asks for a donation of $150... It might be worth it.

What do you guys think?
    If you think this is really the ticket it sounds like something that is very difficult to do on your own and very draining, just from what you wrote of your day... I mean, you're the one that lived it but that one day sounded like it felt like an eternity. You might actually add to your stress and do yourself further harm by trying to do this yourself.

What do you guys think?
    If you think this is really the ticket it sounds like something that is very difficult to do on your own and very draining, just from what you wrote of your day... I mean, you're the one that lived it but that one day sounded like it felt like an eternity. You might actually add to your stress and do yourself further harm by trying to do this yourself.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday and today I'm trying to do the resetting too. I can't believe how my brain turns on and off based on my body temperature. I also don't understand why I'm so warm waking up and then it falls after that. I've been using a huge rice pack that I heat in the oven. It covers my whole torso and makes me really hot. I took a hot shower first thing the morning too. I was doing really good this morning and then after a few hours of not doing anything to add heat to myself I started crashing really quick. I quickly drank hot water and put the rice pack in the oven. I seemed to turn it around in about 15 minutes or so. I don't quite understand what I've done to myself now. While I do feel great when I'm hot, I can't go around with a heat pack strapped to me all the time yet I'm afraid to let my temp fall because it feels like a massive adrenal crash that makes me so stupid I can't even help myself. How did I once go about my business just fine in the 97's and now I feel like I'm going to die when my temp drops like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Maybe work on sleep only and see where it goes from there.

I also think that yes, pay the man and see what he has to say. This sounds very complicated to get correctly and a bit dangerous.
    That's actually very sensible, just to work on sleep. And yeah, I'll get in touch with Steve directly. Thanks Zach

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Yesterday and today I'm trying to do the resetting too. I can't believe how my brain turns on and off based on my body temperature. I also don't understand why I'm so warm waking up and then it falls after that. I've been using a huge rice pack that I heat in the oven. It covers my whole torso and makes me really hot. I took a hot shower first thing the morning too. I was doing really good this morning and then after a few hours of not doing anything to add heat to myself I started crashing really quick. I quickly drank hot water and put the rice pack in the oven. I seemed to turn it around in about 15 minutes or so. I don't quite understand what I've done to myself now. While I do feel great when I'm hot, I can't go around with a heat pack strapped to me all the time yet I'm afraid to let my temp fall because it feels like a massive adrenal crash that makes me so stupid I can't even help myself. How did I once go about my business just fine in the 97's and now I feel like I'm going to die when my temp drops like that?
    Steve talks about that a lot. I can't find the exact quote, but he refers to it as "compensation".

Paleomom, if you're going to do it, then contact Steve directly... I posted on teh forum and he warned me not to try it myself. I'm going to contact him and make the donation he recommends. It's probably not worth trying to do it alone.

- Ray Peat