Page 25 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 25

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    It sounds like we're got a lot of similarities. I was also painfully thin... but I started restricting food probably age 11! Only thing in my past I didn't have that you did was the anesthesia.

Maybe you should try this as well Ombat?

Personally the "Eating a Ton" hasn't worked to raise my body temp. There have been other benefits, but this seems like the next step.
    I will continue to follow your progress but I won't get into it myself until my life isn't so hectic (a few months). But yes, it does sound like something that could help me. I do think you're on the right track and I'm eager to see your results.

As for eating more, I actually think it did raise my body temp (my hands and feet were no longer freezing) but I think it was because I was under eating before. I've cut back a bit, so I'm eating 3 large meals per day but I'm not topping off my meals with coconut milk or adding ridiculous amounts of fat to foods or eating 3 bananas for "dessert", etc. I was so bloated, exhausted, and gaining. I now feel much better but my hands have gone back to being cold.

And just to reiterate what everyone has already said: Only 2 pounds?. Curious about your measurements.
    Last edited by ombat; 04-13-2013 at 03:52 PM.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    2 pounds?? That is just unreal! This little tidbit of info could be an interesting addition to any of the CICO threads in which the debates tend to get pretty intense.

I asked this of PaleoMom, but wanted to ask you as well (and anyone else with temp issues) - do you feel better in warmer weather or do you favor the cooler seasons? You may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I don't trust my memory now that these threads are growing so quickly and several different posters are trying to tackle the same issues.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

calee is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for your journal! My body temp has been low since I was a child. This morning it is 96.7 after a cup of hot coffee. My friends always ask me to swim but know how difficult it is for me to get into cold water. I'm much rather sit in the hot pool.

I'm amazed that you only put on 2 pounds. That seems astounding with your calorie load. I always eat under 1500 calories with a minimum of a 5k walk. Today it will be 10-12k because it's Sunday. If I eat over 1500 calories I gain immediately.

I will follow your progress with your temperature raising. I keep my heat set to 72 all the time and I'm still freezing and that's living in California. Maybe I need to figure out how to eat more without gaining. More food still scares me. After decades of morbid obesity I just don't want to go back there!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Great stuff, very solid plan. Funny how this fell right into your lap right at the opportune time.

I highly suggest you refine your diet to a heat/Peat specific diet. Since you are trying to lose fat anyway and up your heat it would be optimal to have a stricter diet.

Absolutely keep PUFA to bare minimum, if you liberate FFA's, your body will be flooded as is. Eliminate fiber as much as possible to reduce endotoxin and leaky gut. Use coconut oil and butter/ghee only for cooking, use refined coconut oil as a thermogenic, 2-4tbs a day.

I would also suggest limiting foods to only the very best in terms of digestion, heat production and thyroid supporting.

Skinless potatoes, white rice, raw milk, low fat cheeses, oysters/warm water seafood, 2 eggs, orange juice/fresh fruit juice withiut pulp, gelatin, sugar, salt, coconu oil, butter/ghee.

Thats it in my opinion. Drink lots of coffee with added salt, sugar, gelatin and coconut oil. Also salted water.
    Thanks for that Zach... I'm unsure about going onto another restrictive diet though. It's always a recipe for disaster for me, I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

Would gelatinous cuts of red meat and fruit be a no-no? I thought Peat endorsed those things?

Also, thought you'd be interested in this: a guy on the body temp forum talks about how people raise body temp without any effort by following the 80:10:10 diet... bodytemp.eu • View topic - Asian Carp 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Gonna give it a read over now.

also, 1 month later and it's time for the top knot.

pardon the wild hair, woke up like that.
    What did you think? He's no Peat, but I found it amazing that he's also linking metabolism and intelligence.

Actually Derp, this is an area I believe you can give a lot of insight into:

You said that by employing some of Peat's protocols you raised your metabolism and were suddenly able to retain a lot more information than prior to that, yeah? Can you outline what you did? Did your body temp also raise at that point, or were you always a little hyperthyroid?

Also, Richfield got back to me and warned me that thyroid supplementation accelerates aging... what do you think of that? He also says that there's an experimental link between lower metabolism and longer life span... Which personally I don't care about since I don't want to live that long anyway, ha

Oh, and yay to the Samurai bun! Look forward to seeing it
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-25-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

To everyone interested in the 2lb weight gain

I weighed myself again this morning and yeah... two lbs. I was wearing more clothes when I weighed myself initially so let's call it 3lbs.

But I'm really confused. I measured myself:

Thighs and waist: No change
    Lower thighs: lost half an inch
    Hips: gained half an inch
    Chest (yay!) and stomach (): gained a full inch.

That sounds like more than a two lb weight gain. Maybe it's water retention? Or maybe I lost muscle?

For the two weeks I was at home I was purely estimating my calories, and in many cases probably overestimating. However, I also was being lax and not listing everything I ate. So I reckon if I was overestimating, the result wasn't by much - I was still eating 2.5 - 2.8K Cals per day. For exercise I was walking for an hour a day and doing circa an hour of yoga. But there was about a week when I didn't do anything...

I suppose it might be relevant that starting this experiment I was already 10lbs over a weight that I'd maintained for most of the last decade (with periods of being underweight in there). I gained this weight from July 2012 by binging on junk food, with a month long junk food binge in Dec (which I only gained four lbs from). A while ago I did read a theory that said that healthy people have a natural weight that they gravitate towards. If that's true, then maybe I just didn't have much more to put on...

Hmmm.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-14-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Whoops! Disregard my question about warm weather vs. cold weather - I just found your answer since I had a chance to read back! It was what I'd expected you would say.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    Wow! 2 lbs? WTF? How in the name of the gods?

I love your journey, please don't stop journaling. I haven't read the book, it's more than I can deal with right now, trying to raise my body temperature is probably less important that trying to eat 3 meals a day right now. I read that link, it sounds like a full time commitment, which for me ought to be dedicated to other things. I'm interested though, I'll be following your progress. I am still going to track my temps, so many doctors have remarked on how low it is throughout my life, sort of corpse like.

I fit the criteria for low body temp. Half-Irish, self-induced famine, mother with ED while pregnant with me, childhood trauma. Interestingly, when I've had an anesthetic (quite a few times) I have woken up freezing, teeth chattering so much I can't talk, frozen to the bone. I've had to be covered in blankets and it lasts for hours and hours after waking. I've had problems with my body temperature for years and the only other person I know like me is my mother who drives everyone nuts by opening and closing windows, putting clothes on and off and forever talking about how hot or cold she is.

I tried to find the link to the book, can you re-post?

Are you going to keep eating 3000+ calories? I'm amazed at the results, it's fascinating.
    I know - they make it sound like really hard work... and it is. I had a melt down last night (literally :P), will update in my next entry. I'm tempted just to take the thyroid hormones - partially because I don't know how to layer all these clothes and not look like a blimp!

That is interesting about the anesthetic... Maybe this protocol isn't right for you at present, but it will be interesting for you to track your temps. The people who've "reset" talk about how different life is at higher temps - more energy, less "dark thoughts" etc. Obviously people are multi dimensional, so there's more going on than just temp, but interesting that for many resetting is all they need to cure lots of health problems (including mental).

No, I'm going to aim for 2K a day from now on. Well actualy, my only plan is to eat when I'm hungry, not be afraid of snacking, and not restrict. I reckon if I don't binge I will probably just go to my natural weight. That's all I want at this point.

Here's the paper again: LowTemp

Hugs

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I will continue to follow your progress but I won't get into it myself until my life isn't so hectic (a few months). But yes, it does sound like something that could help me. I do think you're on the right track and I'm eager to see your results.

As for eating more, I actually think it did raise my body temp (my hands and feet were no longer freezing) but I think it was because I was under eating before. I've cut back a bit, so I'm eating 3 large meals per day but I'm not topping off my meals with coconut milk or adding ridiculous amounts of fat to foods or eating 3 bananas for "dessert", etc. I was so bloated, exhausted, and gaining. I now feel much better but my hands have gone back to being cold.

And just to reiterate what everyone has already said: Only 2 pounds?. Curious about your measurements.
    I think that's part of the problem with eating for heat... it seems to provide a solution for some cases of low body temp, but perhaps if the cases are chronic this solution is just temporary. I seem to just sweat off foods that raise my temp...

Do you feel this excercise helped with your binging? THat's the main thing I've gotten from it.

And yeah - can't believe the 2lbs! Keep thinking that something must be wrong...!

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Found this interesting, and thought you might get some good info from it, although there are a couple of pieces of advice I don't agree with, take from it what you'd like: How to Increase Your Metabolism and Start Losing Fat

I know that you aren't trying to lose weight, but instead increase body temperature... Which means speeding up metabolism, right? Correct me if I'm wrong!

I also know that Mark Sisson is a big supporter of fish oil supplements, so I'm sure you already know a bit about the benefits of the supplements. But, when searching about increasing body temp and metabolic rate, I found a few interesting studies that showed taking supplements significantly increased metabolic rate and lean muscle mass (and preserved it, which aids in higher body temps) and reduction of excess body fat.

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-7-31.pdf

I was totally unaware of the effects of fish oil supplements on metabolism, and I only thought that it helped with heart problems! I know I take so many supplements already, but I'm really tempted to add this one to the list...

Anyway, I know I already gave you a but of reading to do, but I don't wanna keep any bits of information to myself if I think that it can be another little piece to the puzzle!
    Thanks for the info!

Interestingly, there's now a lot of controversy around fish oil supplementation. Many people believe that the fish oil in those capsules is rancid. Also, people often notice an immediate improvement in health when they take them, which is attributed to a reduction in inflammation. Ray Peat however, says that this is cos fish oil immediately suppresses the immune system and that's how it reduces inflammation. You can read some info here: Ray Peat Forum • Fish Oil/Omega-3 • General Discussion

Anyway, I'm kind of against supplements :P
    (Peat also believes you shouldn't ingest any cold water fish, but I'm still struggling with this...)

Oh, also there is a difference between raising body temp and increasing metabolism. My understanding is that if you've got a low body temp your metabolism will fight to raise it. But if you reset your body temp to be higher, your metabolism keeps chugging at its regular pace. According to Richfield anyway...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-14-2013 at 11:45 AM.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    Thank you for your journal! My body temp has been low since I was a child. This morning it is 96.7 after a cup of hot coffee. My friends always ask me to swim but know how difficult it is for me to get into cold water. I'm much rather sit in the hot pool.

I'm amazed that you only put on 2 pounds. That seems astounding with your calorie load. I always eat under 1500 calories with a minimum of a 5k walk. Today it will be 10-12k because it's Sunday. If I eat over 1500 calories I gain immediately.

I will follow your progress with your temperature raising. I keep my heat set to 72 all the time and I'm still freezing and that's living in California. Maybe I need to figure out how to eat more without gaining. More food still scares me. After decades of morbid obesity I just don't want to go back there!
    Thanks Calee You know, I think one of the links between low body temp and weight gain is that without the correct body temp a lot of our enzymes aren't activated and we can't break down the food we ingest... making it more liable to be stored as fat? Just speculating!

I'm really glad the journal is helping and that you're still reading Let's see what happens with this temperature thing...

- Ray Peat