Page 24 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 24

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

The End of an Era

Shop Now
    This entry marks the end of Fad 1: Eating more to weigh less.

I wouldn't say I'm cured of the ED or have solved all my problems... but I feel the process of healing is naturally shifting... to focusing on body temperature. It's resonating very strongly with me, and I feel I need to put my efforts there.

E.M.T.W.L Summary

Fad Duration: 17th March - 13th April => 27 Entries. Nearly exactly four weeks!
    Calories consumed: Total: 83784 cals. On average, 3103.1 cals per day.
    Sleep: Prob averaged 6 hours a night.
    Temperature: No increase.
    Starting weight: 133 lbs
    End weight: 135lbs....!

I'm shocked at the lack of weight gain. 2 lbs!!! How is this possible eating 3K a day for four weeks?! When I was at home I thought I put on 6 lbs... maybe my scales were wrong there? Or maybe I lost it again? I feel a lot bigger but I'm guessing that parts of me have gotten bigger and other parts have shrunk. My legs are definitely thinner. Maybe I lost muscle? But I actually feel like I've got much more muscle.

Either way... I weighed myself today on the scales I started on, so it's literally 2lbs.

Shocked.

Physical effects:

Digestion: Only had issues for two of the 27 days.
    Energy: After an initial slump (two weeks) I now feel great!
    Insulin Sensitivity: When I first started eating large amounts of starch I would crash. Quite quickly that stopped. I'm deducing that I'd impaired my insulin sensitivity slightly through my previous WOE, and now it's back on track.
    Metabolism: The lack of weight gain would suggest yes. No change in body temp, but that doesn't necessarily reflect metabolism.
    Nails and skin: Bad for a while, but skin is looking great now, and nails are getting stronger.
    Body fluids: Initially I noticed increased amount of sleepy dust, but this disappeared in a few weeks.
    For most of the 27 days I was peeing more than 12 times a day. During my next fad I intend on looking at the correlation between body temp and water absorption.

What I've learned:

- The most important thing is to listen to the rhythm of my body. Discard all "rules" about eating.
    - I don't need to eat at set "meal times". Eating regularly throughout the day removes a lot of my anxiety and restriction around food.
    - I do have a lot of issues when it comes to food and body image, but I can no longer underestimate the power and effect of the body's complex metabolic processes... like famine mode... and body temperature. I need to focus attention incrementally on my inner and outer processes.
    - Hunger. Over the four weeks I read that hunger can be caused by malnourishment, and inappropriate amounts of stomach acid. But guess what? Eating raises the boy temp. Hunger can be caused by... low body temp.
    - Insomnia, depression etc. can be caused by low body temp.
    - I have low body temp...

Final note:

I honestly can't express enough how much the journalling is helping me. I've never been able to talk about this stuff before, and now not only can I talk about it, but I'm getting support, feedback, encouragement, and I have the feeling that i'm not alone on my journey. With therapy I still always felt alone because I knew the therapist was not there by choice.. ha

Everyone who's reading, commenting and supporting... thank you. Really!

Which brings me to my new fad
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-13-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    That is amazing that you only gained 2 pounds! Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    That is amazing that you only gained 2 pounds! Awesome
    I keep thinking it must be wrong, but I'm too scared to check again! lol. I'm going to take out the measuring tape and check what's different.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Second Fad: Restoring Body Temperature

Steve Richfield's work on the link between Body Temp and health has rocked my world.

My basal body temp is low: an average of 35.7C (96.26F). A lot of my "symptoms" suddenly make sense.

- Insomnia:
    Caused by body temp dropping too low throughout the night, and adrenaline suddenly being released to keep body temp up.

- Depression:
    Almost all the chemical reactions in the body are catalyzed by enzymes and enzymes depend on their shape for their activity. And, their shape depends on their temperature! Thus, when people feel bad, their temperatures can drop, and when their temperatures drop they can feel bad. This can result in people getting stuck in a vicious cycle of despair. When people get overwhelmed and feel that they are at the end of their ropes their temperatures can drop. Ironically, a low temperature itself can leave people feeling overwhelmed and at the end of their ropes.

People with low temperatures due to Wilson’s Temperature Syndrome don’t usually die from it but they sometimes feel so bad that they would rather be dead.
    Ummm... yes.

- Intolerance to cold:
    Bits of me (e.g. my bum) never get warm. My hands and feet are usually cold. This is to keep the core at it's set body temp.

- Intolerance to exercise and heat:
    When I exercise, or am in a hot climate I get really hot in the face, really red, and sweat a lot. I feel extremely uncomfortable, and get burnt out quickly.

My theory: During exercise / hot weather, my body fights to maintain my low body sets point by sending all the hot blood to the surface of my skin, and sweating. This keeps my core at its set temperature, but raises the temp of my skin and makes me feel like hell hath no fury.

I took my temperature doing a sweaty exercise session and it was very low (35.5C / 95.9F). This supports the theory I have, but also suggests adrenal fatigue. Sufferers of this experience a drop in their temperature after exercise.

- Hunger:
    I'm not detracting from the impact of having a hedonistic past, a long term ED, or a chronically low opinion of myself. BUT... hunger can be caused by low body temp. Just one example: Control Your Winter Appetite

My theory: I am constantly trying to "Eat for Heat", but because my body temp is set low, I sweat off the heat generated or it goes to my extremities / face.

The background:
    There are a number of reasons this can occur. I covered them in my last EMTWL post.

The plan:
    Richfield's suggested procedure to raising body temperature:

The usual way (there are a number of variants) is to take ~15 mcg of Cytomel to limit how low your body can crank its metabolism, wrap yourself in ~3 complete sets of warm winter clothing including hats, go into a hot room, and wait for your temperature to rise.

When it gets to 98.6oF, you dynamically adjust the coats and room temperature to hold it there, while your central metabolic control system tries everything in its bag of tricks to subvert your efforts.

After holding it at exactly 98.6oF for ~3 hours, your control system will give up on its 97.4oF setpoint and switch to its 98.6oF setpoint, whereupon it becomes MUCH easier to continue at 98.6oF for the rest of the day, because your control system is working with you instead of fighting you. If you decide to try this, you should also take ~12 mcg of Levoxyl after everything settles down at 98.6oF, as without this, you would probably "crash" ~5 hours into the process, which is unpleasantly frightening.

After that, every morning, kick your temperature up to 98.6oF with a hot shower, espresso coffee, warm clothing, or even another 5 mcg of Cytomel if all else fails. The first day your temp may only stay up for less than an hour, but the time will get longer and longer each day, so that in a couple of weeks, you should be able to stay at 98.6oF all day.
    I've been advised to contacted Richfield directly, and I'm holding off for one reason. I'm concerned that if I contact him he'll demand I launch an "out and out attack". He views this as a battle, and keeps saying it's "Life or Death".

I don't want to fight my body anymore. I believe it will work with me.

So, instead of a brutal fight to get my body immediately up to 98.60F, I'm adjusting this protocol to be a bit more gentle:

- Do an initial "reset" day where I wear tons of warm clothes and stay in bed for quite a few hours and see how high my temp can get. Keep it there.
    - Wear increasingly more clothes to bed and during the day.
    - Track my temperature throughout the day
    - Learn to estimate body temp by how body feels
    - Pay particular attention to my mid section as this is the most resistant to warming up.
    - Strong, hot coffee first thing in the mornings
    - Hot showers
    - Look into T2 / T3 supplementation.

Other things:
    - Continue tracking foods to investigate link between body temp and food stuffs.
    - Continuing eating to appetite. Ideally circa 2K a day, and never below 1.5 K. I hope I'll be able to lose on this.
    - Have just started HCl supplementation. I wonder if I should stop initially, so I can see isolate the effects of trying to raise my temperature? I'm predicting that raising the body temp will help stomach acid production.
    - Body brushing has made my skin softer, but has not improved my circulation. I'll continue nonetheless.

Projected Outcomes:
    Successfully raising body temp should result in:
    - Better sleep
    - Better mood
    - More energy
    - Better appetite control and need for less food (because what I eat will actually be metabolised)
    - Lose weight more easily due to raised metabolism
    - Will help with water absorption (because in a hotter environment ingested water will be more inclined to evaporate and be absorbed by cells). It might thus alleviate ailments like: Dehydrated skin, hair, Peeing frequently, Post nasal drip.

Let's get started
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-25-2013 at 05:21 PM.

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand his coffee suggestions. Caffeine is usually a big no no for healing the adrenals.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I don't understand his coffee suggestions. Caffeine is usually a big no no for healing the adrenals.
    Maybe that's CW... I don't know.

At the risk of sounding like a fanatic... Ray Peat heavily endorses coffee

Honestly, I gave up coffee for a year - twice! It never helped with anything.

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Great stuff, very solid plan. Funny how this fell right into your lap right at the opportune time.

I highly suggest you refine your diet to a heat/Peat specific diet. Since you are trying to lose fat anyway and up your heat it would be optimal to have a stricter diet.

Absolutely keep PUFA to bare minimum, if you liberate FFA's, your body will be flooded as is. Eliminate fiber as much as possible to reduce endotoxin and leaky gut. Use coconut oil and butter/ghee only for cooking, use refined coconut oil as a thermogenic, 2-4tbs a day.

I would also suggest limiting foods to only the very best in terms of digestion, heat production and thyroid supporting.

Skinless potatoes, white rice, raw milk, low fat cheeses, oysters/warm water seafood, 2 eggs, orange juice/fresh fruit juice withiut pulp, gelatin, sugar, salt, coconu oil, butter/ghee.

Thats it in my opinion. Drink lots of coffee with added salt, sugar, gelatin and coconut oil. Also salted water.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Yeah, I agree - some people when reach a certain level of stress enter an emotional shutdown realm. It usually means they can't process good or bad emotions. There's a term for it in psychology, can't think of it now...

Cheers for that link - I'll see if I can get it here, or if my mum can pick some up for me in Poland, and if not I'll use it

Edit: By the way Derp, Richfield also talks about the link between metabolism and intelligence. He's written a paper on it called "Super-Intelligence, A Practical Guide: What it is, How to get it, What to do with it".

In it he also talks about human life span - seems he thinks humans should be living til at least 140! Completely reminds me of Ray Peat!!

You can read it here. I think you'd find it interesting.
    Gonna give it a read over now.

also, 1 month later and it's time for the top knot.

pardon the wild hair, woke up like that.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I went for a long walk in a big jumper and no bra today. I hope you're proud of yourself...
    LOL! What is she doing to us?!

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Wow! 2 lbs? WTF? How in the name of the gods?

I love your journey, please don't stop journaling. I haven't read the book, it's more than I can deal with right now, trying to raise my body temperature is probably less important that trying to eat 3 meals a day right now. I read that link, it sounds like a full time commitment, which for me ought to be dedicated to other things. I'm interested though, I'll be following your progress. I am still going to track my temps, so many doctors have remarked on how low it is throughout my life, sort of corpse like.

I fit the criteria for low body temp. Half-Irish, self-induced famine, mother with ED while pregnant with me, childhood trauma. Interestingly, when I've had an anesthetic (quite a few times) I have woken up freezing, teeth chattering so much I can't talk, frozen to the bone. I've had to be covered in blankets and it lasts for hours and hours after waking. I've had problems with my body temperature for years and the only other person I know like me is my mother who drives everyone nuts by opening and closing windows, putting clothes on and off and forever talking about how hot or cold she is.

I tried to find the link to the book, can you re-post?

Are you going to keep eating 3000+ calories? I'm amazed at the results, it's fascinating.