Page 23 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 23

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I went for a long walk in a big jumper and no bra today. I hope you're proud of yourself...
    This is what I'll be remembered for...

Actually, how did you feel without the bra? when I first stopped wearing one (three weeks now!) my breasts felt really cold! Now they've adapted and feel the same as my stomach.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Actually, how did you feel without the bra?
    I had a lacy vest on under the jumper. All of me got quite heated!
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    YB, a few questions.
    What does the espresso do?
    What I've read so far is that the expresso is meant to kick-start your adrenals.

Do you have access to any t3 Meds? Does he think one can be successful without them?
    Richfield doesn't recommend meds for everyone. When he starts to work with someone to raise their temp, he assesses the procedure they should take based on the results of a "shower test". Not everyone need to take meds.

I've read more now, and he recommends T2 or T3, with maybe tiny doses of T4. He references T3 more, but then he says that:

At present, I am partial to T2, both because it is non-prescription, and because the body adapts to it less than with T3 or T4, so it will be easier to taper off of when the time comes.
    Regarding T4:
    T4 can actually DEPRESS temperatures and INCREASE adrenal requirements, so it should never be taken until AFTER you pop up to 98.6oF in the morning, and then it should only be taken in small doses.
    I'm sure I can source some: they may be readily available in Poland (I used to buy Melatonin there). My mum is going there today so I can ask her to check.

Does he say anything about a certain diet?
    Diet is one area he doesn't seem focused on. It seems in this regard he's a proponent of self-experimentation: eg. recommends testing your own urine with test strips while varying your diet to see what the impact is.

The English woman whose site I referenced talks about the diet she's on: Diet - Normal Body Temperature
    It's basically low carb Primal, except she eats bread for breakfast. Meat, dairy, no fruit juices, no sugar. But I'm not sure if that's a diet that Richfield recommended.

Interestingly - she doesn't eat starch. In an N=1 during the course of resetting she discovered that starch (in the form of rice) effected her getting her body temp back up.

I suggest you add more coconut oil to your diet to be used as a thermogenic. Spread 2-4 Tbs throughout the day.
    Thanks for the tip! Ran out of oil recently and haven't replaced, but I've been eating a shit-ton of coconut milk lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    This is probably one of the most interesting things i have read in quite awhile. I will have to spend some time reading the other links you posted. It also makes me want to buy a thermometer and see if i can keep my temp at or over 98.6 and see if there are any benefits. I have had a few things on that list happen to me and while i feel good, i could always feel better!
    I knew you'd find it interesting! Maybe not directly relevant to you, but the ideas are shell shocking and can't be ignored. There's a lot of crossover between himself and Peat from what I can see. Not in diet, but in ideology. He also stresses the importance of raising metabolism, and how raising body temp raises intelligence.

I'm making my way now through these other articles he's written: FixLowBodyTemp.com Library

There are two there about cancer, which you may find interesting.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-13-2013 at 01:36 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I had a lacy vest on under the jumper. All of me got quite heated!
    Power to the lace and wool!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-13-2013 at 01:58 AM.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I hear this too often dude, it's pretty sad. He could be hyperthyroid, which is protecting him, or he could feel bad but has become impervious through excessive stress and just becoming accustomed to it(think ketosis). Or it could be the protective mechanisms of the drugs masking his stress. I know that I always have to have a smoke break because I start to feel like shit now from having listened to some fucking asshole for 2 hours non-stop complain about anything and everything regardless of what you do.

Have you asked him how he feels?

You can order t3 from here: Buy Cytomel ,Overcomes Thyroid Disorders, Prevents Goiters - Cytomel-My Mexican Drug Store

They ship international, I think, but not sure how the customs would handle something like that.
    Yeah, I agree - some people when reach a certain level of stress enter an emotional shutdown realm. It usually means they can't process good or bad emotions. There's a term for it in psychology, can't think of it now...

Cheers for that link - I'll see if I can get it here, or if my mum can pick some up for me in Poland, and if not I'll use it

Edit: By the way Derp, Richfield also talks about the link between metabolism and intelligence. He's written a paper on it called "Super-Intelligence, A Practical Guide: What it is, How to get it, What to do with it".

In it he also talks about human life span - seems he thinks humans should be living til at least 140! Completely reminds me of Ray Peat!!
    Society’s practice of mating like-aged people has probably reduced the human lifespan to less than half of what it should reasonably be. As a result, you and I will most certainly die in our relative infancy.
    You can read it here. I think you'd find it interesting.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-13-2013 at 02:15 AM.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Interesting... Well that definitely sounds like no walk in the park, but I'm sure the end results are worth it. I will have to look into that + the book. I can't say that I've been tracking my temperature for any significant amount of time, but I've had these symptoms my entire life. My natural temp has always seemed to be in the low 70's/high 60's and a fever of 99.0 can leave me bed-ridden. I've always been very, very resistant to heat as well, and prone to overheating in hot climates.

Re: Some common ways that your CMCS can malfunction, I can relate to a few of these in early childhood (anesthesia, physical and emotional trauma, possibly something womb-related, my mom has minor metabolic issues). I don't think anything in my ancestry would point to famine, though. I have never restricted food, but as a child I was frighteningly thin. My guess is undernourishment due to food intolerances, which could be viewed as a type of famine.

It also doesn't help that my housemate refuses to let me turn the thermostat above 65 degrees in our Pacific Northwest home, as I am barely able to move my frozen fingers enough to type this...
    It sounds like we're got a lot of similarities. I was also painfully thin... but I started restricting food probably age 11! Only thing in my past I didn't have that you did was the anesthesia.

Maybe you should try this as well Ombat?

Personally the "Eating a Ton" hasn't worked to raise my body temp. There have been other benefits, but this seems like the next step.

- Ray Peat

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    All of this info sounds dead on and is pretty fascinating! I've just recently begun to use the status of my normally cold toes to guide me in my T3 dosing and timing. So far, it seems to be totally reliable. Once I had gone for a good stretch of about a week with warm toes and consistent energy, (the two have gone hand in hand) I FINALLY began doing a happy dance at the end of my showers to celebrate the drastically reduced size of hair clumps. They have been HUGE for the last year and a half at least. It's truly a wonder that I am not bald. Yet. I'm beginning to feel hopeful.

I haven't tracked temps yet, only due to my lacking a reliable thermometer, but will have to get one. I imagine that the results will parallel that of the "cold toes test", but I'd really like to see where I am with my temps. I'm pretty sure that a graph of my results will resemble a rollercoaster, mostly due to my Circadian rhythm-decimating work schedule. (Nightshift, alternating back and forth several times a week and never really sleeping - day or night)

Thanks for posting all of this and to all who are sharing info and experiences - I'm eager to have some time to read and learn more and to hear about all of the "a-ha!" moments!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks Jen! This is seriously fascinating stuff. My latest fad, ha

What's your question about? Are you hypothyroid?
    Whoops! Forgot to answer your question! I am hypothyroid and am trying to tweak to find the appropriate doses and timing now. Started on Armour, (T3 and t4) and that wasn't very effective at all, except for a little energy boost in the beginning which quickly disappeared. My T3 actually went DOWN after taking this and it was the first time I've ever taken any thyroid meds at all. We suspect my rT3 increased and that's where it all went. (I'm a crappy converter!) Now taking a good amount of T3 and it's definitely making a difference.

I was going to mention to Gwamma (and I think even another poster who asked about it) that a while back I took something called "Raw Thyroid", which I got at a local health food store. It has a few other glandulars in it, including adrenal, I l believe. It's not too expensive and my trying it was what convinced me that I DO have a thyroid issue. I felt instant positive results with it. I did get a little nervous and only took it for a couple of weeks since it was impossible to know how much T3 I was getting and I knew I needed to get to the doctor for testing, etc. However, it was a great little experiment and I got the feedback I was looking for. I know you're in NZ, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar where you are - it may be worth a shot.

Keep the good stuff coming, YB and Co.!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    All of this info sounds dead on and is pretty fascinating! I've just recently begun to use the status of my normally cold toes to guide me in my T3 dosing and timing. So far, it seems to be totally reliable. Once I had gone for a good stretch of about a week with warm toes and consistent energy, (the two have gone hand in hand) I FINALLY began doing a happy dance at the end of my showers to celebrate the drastically reduced size of hair clumps. They have been HUGE for the last year and a half at least. It's truly a wonder that I am not bald. Yet. I'm beginning to feel hopeful.

I haven't tracked temps yet, only due to my lacking a reliable thermometer, but will have to get one. I imagine that the results will parallel that of the "cold toes test", but I'd really like to see where I am with my temps. I'm pretty sure that a graph of my results will resemble a rollercoaster, mostly due to my Circadian rhythm-decimating work schedule. (Nightshift, alternating back and forth several times a week and never really sleeping - day or night)

Thanks for posting all of this and to all who are sharing info and experiences - I'm eager to have some time to read and learn more and to hear about all of the "a-ha!" moments!
    Jen, you're welcome! It's so great to be able to share all this. And you have no idea how much I appreciate the support. It's really getting me through.

It sounds like you're on a roll with the thyroid stuff - I really believe that being able to read our own bodies is crucial in any recovery. It would be great for you to check your body temp as well, just so you'll be able to correlate it with how your body feels.

Hope you get more good info out of this thread

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "When the world pushes you to your knees,
    you are in the perfect position to pray."

- Rumi

tumblr_lmhhtrghtu1ql1nos.jpg
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-13-2013 at 10:15 AM.

- Ray Peat