Page 21 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 21

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    My dad is one of these superhumans. He eats a ton, stays thin, doesn't workout but can up and hike a tough 30 miles on a snickers bar no problem, he wears guys out 1/3 his age, sleeps like 5 hours at the most a night. Now somewhat recently his wife has been very strict over their food. They avoid starches and get carbs only from fruit and veggies, avoid fat and salt. They eat out a lot and will eat a salad a split the entree. My dad used to be able to eat a ton without gaining but now has to share meals and has probably cut back 30% of calories or more with all these things. Now for the first time ever he is seeming to slow down a bit, complaining of being cold and unable to warm his hands and feet.

I don't know what to think of body temperature. I used to always be freezing when living in a damp temperate climate (winters in the 45-55 degree range but with high humidity) but since moving to a place that gets colder in the winter (20's) but is much, much drier I feel a million times warmer. I find that the dryness makes it more comfortable, so I go out wearing less and the more I do this the warmer I get as my body adapts to the cold. There is a huge difference in the temperatures that I tolerate at the beginning of the winter than at the end. Fall I'm all bundled up at 50 degrees, feeling like it's freezing, yet by spring time I can go out in a tee shirt and flip flops at the same temp and feel very comfortable. I have never liked the heat and have been feeling hotter at lower temps as my temperature has gone up which has me very worried for tolerating the summer heat. I would like to be more comfortable in the heat, as I am getting to be in the cold. I also think this idea of sleeping warm is odd. I'm surprised to hear so many people enjoy this, I have always been completely unable to sleep in the heat. I like to feel warm under the blankets but I like the blankets to keep me warm and not a hot room. It feels like breathing cold air is really important for my sleep.
    Firstly - tell your dad to get off that diet! He's probably attributing it to getting old and is accepting it. You might have to relentlessly chip away at him, but you'll eventually get through. I got my mum to give up gluten - it only took 6 months...

Richfield recommends that after you've reset your temp to wear as many clothes as possible for as long as possible. I assume this is to 1) keep it up, 2) Deal with the changing seasons. IF you start now it might help with the summer months.

THough I was under teh impression that a healthy thyroid would regulate body temp. I want to stop sweating!!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    I skimmed the book. Since it doesnt really apply to me i just wanted to know the basics.

You get your TSH test back yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I skimmed the book. Since it doesnt really apply to me i just wanted to know the basics.

You get your TSH test back yet?
    Well, I can fill you in - I've read it twice and am onto the other info

Won't get those results til the end of next week I reckon...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

E.M.T.W.L

Entry Twenty-Seven: More on body temp

The investigation continues.

Today I joined the low body temp forum and posted about my individual case. I got a response, and discovered that my sweating theory was correct: the sweating means that my body is resistant to having its set point changed! "Hot flushes" lower your set point.

The literature differentiates between temperature and set point: "Temperatures CYCLE around set points during the course of a day, but always return to the set point when the ambient or biological processes allow."

How it all began:
    It appears that the body has coping mechanisms that help it respond to stress. When people go through severe physical, mental, or emotional stress their bodies can slow down to conserve energy and their temperatures can drop. Apparently, this “conservation mode” helps people make it through difficult circumstances and when the difficult circumstances pass, body temperatures and body functions are supposed to come back up to normal, but sometimes they don’t.

Source: Thyroid and Depression - Wilson's Syndrome
    Steve Richfield (my new idol) attributes low body temp to a central metabolic control system (CMCS) malfunction. He says that "nearly everyone's CMCS malfunctions at some time in their life, and it rarely ever recovers on its own."

Some common ways that your CMCS can malfunction:

1. Superstitious learning, where something like general anesthesia tricks your CMCS into “thinking” that it almost killed you, so it will never ever do THAT (living a normal healthy life) again.

2. Living a very sedate, stable, and comfortable life, so that years go by without you ever having to really exert yourself, get really cold, get really hot, get really sick, etc. Eventually your CMCS avoids doing things that it hasn't done for years, because it might be dangerous, and old habits become new disabilities.

3. Illnesses that introduce temporary organ malfunctions, like hypothyroidism. The organs recover or their function is artificially supplemented, but the CMCS continues to work around the malfunction that is no longer there.

4. Surviving a severe famine, so your CMCS learns to survive with less, rather than living better with more.

5. Your CMCS can “learn” a malfunction when in the womb of a malfunctioning mother. Hence, any of the above malfunctions can sometimes result in a maternal family line of many generations of people with the same problem, yet with no genetic basis for the problem.

6. Trauma.

Me and Famine:
    Irish people and Native Americans are more genetically pre-diposed to low body temp, as they endured severe famines and only those who could adapt (by lowering metabolism) survived. I'm half-Irish.

I've also done a little bit of starving myself, as we've covered thus far in the journal

Me and Trauma:
    Yes. Two very traumatic events in my childhood.

Me and my Mother:
    But maybe this malfunction all started way earlier.

My mother has Hashimotos, and she first got sick when she was pregnant with me. After I was born, she was extremely depressed for a number of reasons.

From a very young age, I had a strong sense that I didn't want to be born.

The process:

The reset basically involves espressos, hot showers, tons of warm clothes, taking your temp continuously throughout the day, and in some cases, doses of T3.

Unfortunately there's nothing for it: I'm going to have to be a zealot... How very unusual for me

Sleep:
    12.15am - 5.30am. Pretty short! But -

Going to bed I wore the same amount of clothing but forgot to wear my wear my robe. I woke up at 5.30ish, with a shiver. My body was totally warm from head to toe, but I was sweating a bit. I took my temperature... 34.9C (94.82F)! So even though I was warm, the sweat was cooling me down rapidly and I presume that kick-started my adrenaline.

Apparently what can happen when you start to do a "reset" is that your body reacts by dropping your basal temp even lower.

I put on more clothes, drank peppermint tea with sugar, had breakfast, then slept again from 7am - 9am.

Temperature:
    Morning temp: Started at 34.9C (94.82F), took it about 10 times - average was 35.4C (95.72F)! Hasn't been this low since I started.

Didn't take day time temp, but felt pretty warm...

Evening after walking around:
    Left arm pit: 35.7C (96.26F), right arm pit: 36.3C (97.16F). Within a three minutes this dropped to 35.5C (95.9F), and 36.1 (96.98F).

Night time: I've been sitting with my back against the radiator, wearing tons of clothes, with a blanket over me for more than an hour. My temp hasn't gone above 36.2C (97.16F), even though the rad is burning my back...

Digestion:
    Fine. Didn't have the morning glory of yesterday, ha

Energy and Mood:
    Almost all the chemical reactions in the body are catalyzed by enzymes and enzymes depend on their shape for their activity. And, their shape depends on their temperature! Thus, when people feel bad, their temperatures can drop, and when their temperatures drop they can feel bad. This can result in people getting stuck in a vicious cycle of despair. When people get overwhelmed and feel that they are at the end of their ropes their temperatures can drop. Ironically, a low temperature itself can leave people feeling overwhelmed and at the end of their ropes.

People with low temperatures due to Wilson’s Temperature Syndrome don’t usually die from it but they sometimes feel so bad that they would rather be dead.
    Check!

I figure it would be good to start tracking my energy and mood throughout the day.

Was in a good mood, but wasn't as focused or energetic as yesterday. Hit a 4pm slump.

Betenin HCl:
    Took seven. Still no burn...

Tomorrow I'll look into the connection between stomach acid and body temp. So much to learn!

Body:
    Skin-wise: Skin is still great. Interestingly, I discovered today that chapped lips (which I've had since I was 10ish) are a symptom of low body temp! And when the body temp raises, the lips stop chapping.

However, I do think the improvement in my skin is because I've seriously upped the coconut milk intake.

Fatness-wise: I've definitely lost weight in my legs. I presume it's from all the walking and yoga I've been doing! But... the fat seems to have migrated to my fingers! My ring that is normally loose, is tight. Sigh.

Food:
    Screen Shot 2013-04-13 at 00.23.54.jpg

Breakfast: 6am, Banana, berries, yogurt.
    Snack: 11am, yogurt.
    Lunch: 1pm: Fried eggs with cheese, beetroot.
    Dinner: 5pm, Coconut curry with fish and rice.
    Snack: 9pm, strawberries.

I'm surprised that my cals are so low today. I felt like I ate a lot...

And at the end of the day:
    There's hope:

Interestingly, with proper treatment, their temperatures can sometimes respond in a matter of days, and they can quickly feel back to normal…even though their life circumstances haven’t changed. That is, they have the same job, the same bills, the same problems, the same marriage and family…and poof! The world looks completely different with a normal temperature.

People feel better so they feel more like exercising and doing. With normal temperatures they tend to sleep better and feel better so they cope better so their temperatures improve. In this way, captivity in a downward spiral can be replaced with a liberating upward spiral of improving good health.
    I have to admit, this is a little exciting! I've been fighting for years to find a cure for my insomnia, but I never in my wildest dreams imagined that I could cure depression. I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but there is so much cross over between what they're describing and how I feel... I don't think it could just be coincidence?

Looks like this journal is evolving from one fad to the next
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-13-2013 at 03:22 AM.

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Tell your mom to knock it off, dad needs his food! That is pretty crazy and weird that so far, everyone like this only sleeps 5~ hours a night. Wonder if they get a much deeper sleep and are recharged after only one cycle.
    He just goes and goes but he does need a 20 min. "powernap" around 4-5pm or so. She's not my mom, if she was I would feel more comfortable telling her to knock it the f off. Oh, the other funny thing is he feels like he has trouble sleeping- thinks it takes a long time to fall asleep he feels restless. He had two sleep studies though and they both told him he fell asleep instantly and had very deep perfect sleep the whole night.

Zach is offline Banned
    YB, a few questions.

What does the espresso do?

Do you have access to any t3 Meds? Does he think one can be successful without them?

Does he say anything about a certain diet?

I suggest you add more coconut oil to your diet to be used as a thermogenic. Spread 2-4 Tbs throughout the day.

This is probably one of the most interesting things i have read in quite awhile. I will have to spend some time reading the other links you posted. It also makes me want to buy a thermometer and see if i can keep my temp at or over 98.6 and see if there are any benefits. I have had a few things on that list happen to me and while i feel good, i could always feel better!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    He definitely does not give a fuck. His life is far from care free and fun though, in fact he lives a almost third world life, haha. Has a horrible baby momma who bleeds him dry and fucks him over. Has three alcoholic fucks of parents and he has been on his own since 16. He has no car from multiple DUI's, has to walk everywhere. Without his weed he would be a horrible individual, lol.

I think not giving a fuck has a lot to do with it but one can not just become that mind set and have illness go away. He has had it forever and has never had illness to begin with so i believe its got to be something thats keeping him from getting fucked up. Not to many people in the world could hang with his schedule of drugs, work, walking and sleep.
    I hear this too often dude, it's pretty sad. He could be hyperthyroid, which is protecting him, or he could feel bad but has become impervious through excessive stress and just becoming accustomed to it(think ketosis). Or it could be the protective mechanisms of the drugs masking his stress. I know that I always have to have a smoke break because I start to feel like shit now from having listened to some fucking asshole for 2 hours non-stop complain about anything and everything regardless of what you do.

Have you asked him how he feels?

You can order t3 from here: Buy Cytomel ,Overcomes Thyroid Disorders, Prevents Goiters - Cytomel-My Mexican Drug Store

They ship international, I think, but not sure how the customs would handle something like that.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 04-12-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Zach is offline Banned
    Sure, weve talked about his super powers many times. I wish he had extra cash to get a full blood workup done. Hes pretty impervious to any stress and he definitally doesnt feel bad or ever get hangover type rundown days. Almost like a robot, day after day for years. I see him almost daily and dont recall more then one time he was sick with like a bronchitis thing. Just weird. Another crazy thing about him is he was a c section baby who was fed soy formula because he was lactose intolerant!

Hyperthyroid could be it which would also coincide with his running hot.

What do you hear too often?

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Ombat, wow, it sounds like the same thing actually! I've been getting really bad night sweats since starting this "Eating More" campaign, and my theory now is that the sweats are my body's way of cooling down and thus resisting the change in temperature set point. I found this woman's website, and she talks about how much she sweated while she tried to reset. Raise body temperature - Normal Body Temperature

SO having a low set point does not mean you don't sweat. In fact, the sweat might indicate that our set points are more resistant than other people's. That's the theory anyway...

How long has your temp been low?
    Interesting... Well that definitely sounds like no walk in the park, but I'm sure the end results are worth it. I will have to look into that + the book. I can't say that I've been tracking my temperature for any significant amount of time, but I've had these symptoms my entire life. My natural temp has always seemed to be in the low 70's/high 60's and a fever of 99.0 can leave me bed-ridden. I've always been very, very resistant to heat as well, and prone to overheating in hot climates.

Re: Some common ways that your CMCS can malfunction, I can relate to a few of these in early childhood (anesthesia, physical and emotional trauma, possibly something womb-related, my mom has minor metabolic issues). I don't think anything in my ancestry would point to famine, though. I have never restricted food, but as a child I was frighteningly thin. My guess is undernourishment due to food intolerances, which could be viewed as a type of famine.

It also doesn't help that my housemate refuses to let me turn the thermostat above 65 degrees in our Pacific Northwest home, as I am barely able to move my frozen fingers enough to type this...

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Sure, weve talked about his super powers many times. I wish he had extra cash to get a full blood workup done. Hes pretty impervious to any stress and he definitally doesnt feel bad or ever get hangover type rundown days. Almost like a robot, day after day for years. I see him almost daily and dont recall more then one time he was sick with like a bronchitis thing. Just weird. Another crazy thing about him is he was a c section baby who was fed soy formula because he was lactose intolerant!

Hyperthyroid could be it which would also coincide with his running hot.

What do you hear too often?
    Getting sacked by courts(babies mom) and being financially unstable. Pretty crazy about the soy thing. Your friend is an abnormally in all meanings of the word haha.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant