Page 20 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 20

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    And now i wanted to just write a thought out that your post made me think of. I have this friend, my best friend actually. He is a complete freak of nature, no matter what he does to himself he cannot be phased. He drinks at least 12 beers a day, smokes over a pack, smoke at least a 1/8th of weed a day, stays up till 4am and wakes up for work at 7, literally getting 3-5 hours of sleep a night, trashes his body with his job, barely eats at all during the day and has one big meal at night with his beer and drinks the rest of his calories, the food he eats is complete garbage. In spite of all those negatives he is one of the naturally strongest people i know pound for pound. He is an absolute sex-aholic, getting off at least 3 times day and women cant get enough of him, hes lean, he always has energy to spare and never gets hurt or gets a cold.

Now this kid has stumped me for years and i think i just now figured out why he is able to be basically super human. He always has ran hot. He cant be in hot temps because he burns up, sweats buckets and whatnot. He feels best in winter and never wears much in the way of winter clothes. He can literally turn a bed into a swimming pool with how much he sweats at night and any physical activity leaves him dripping. Basically his body temp must be running well over normal, 24/7.

This is huge, i know its only one person but i would wager that any bullet proof, manly man, whatever you want to call it person will have a high body temp. Not athletes per say but more like alpha male, conqueror types. And now the last piece of the puzzle, why does he always run hot no matter how much he fucks his body up? Because his thermostat has been stuck that way. Just like most get stuck on a low setting, i bet there are rare people who are stuck high. I have read that having a slightly high temp can cure many diseases and of course thats why fevers work so well.

Super interesting stuff, thanks YB for bringing it up!
    He's probably just carefree and not giving a fuck man. He obviously doesn't concern himself with anything complicated, besides maybe his job, but he probably found a way to not give a fuck there too since the rest of his time is spent just having fun. Overthinking has a way of burdening your body with stress.

I feel the same though when I'm running optimally. High body temperature, little clothing, intolerant to heat, and share many of the same self-destructive traits as your friend there. I feel better when I don't worry so much.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I'm really glad that my last entry resonated with so many people! I'll respond to you all later - have to start working during the day again

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    He's probably just carefree and not giving a fuck man. He obviously doesn't concern himself with anything complicated, besides maybe his job, but he probably found a way to not give a fuck there too since the rest of his time is spent just having fun. Overthinking has a way of burdening your body with stress.

I feel the same though when I'm running optimally. High body temperature, little clothing, intolerant to heat, and share many of the same self-destructive traits as your friend there. I feel better when I don't worry so much.
    When I'm well slept, warm, and not hungry I'm carefree too!

The body and mind are connected, each influences the other.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-25-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    thanx Zach - so if I ask the Doctor for a full thyroid panel, are there any other bloods I should have done at the same time ?
    I have had Cholesterol done and it has gone from really good - to amazing..............
    Well just getting a full thyroid panel out of a doc is going to be really hard unless you have an awesome doctor. Most go by the standard TSH. They need to test the free and total T3, and T4 as well, also RT3. There are also a number of other tests that would be great to have like Co2 and an Iron panal.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post

He definitely does not give a fuck. His life is far from care free and fun though, in fact he lives a almost third world life, haha. Has a horrible baby momma who bleeds him dry and fucks him over. Has three alcoholic fucks of parents and he has been on his own since 16. He has no car from multiple DUI's, has to walk everywhere. Without his weed he would be a horrible individual, lol.

I think not giving a fuck has a lot to do with it but one can not just become that mind set and have illness go away. He has had it forever and has never had illness to begin with so i believe its got to be something thats keeping him from getting fucked up. Not to many people in the world could hang with his schedule of drugs, work, walking and sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    Wow, what a difference a little bit of hope makes, huh?! Sounds like you're onto something - can't wait to hear more about it. I have some thoughts/experiences on the subject and I'd love to see if you or any of your adoring fans here can help me figure out how to make sense of it. It's one of those "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" thought processes I have yet to sort out. Hypothyroidism, Cytomel, cold fingers and toes... oh my!

In the meantime, good for you! Enjoy the a-ha moment!

Off to work, hope you are all having a great one!
    Thanks Jen! This is seriously fascinating stuff. My latest fad, ha

What's your question about? Are you hypothyroid?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Fantastic entry! So much win that i have to comment in the quote.

I think this is pretty significant even at only one night. I experienced the same. And yes a good dose of sugar/salt and saturated fat before bed is sure to raise temp and blunt adrenalin but it can only last for so long. It sounds like you have weak adrenals (or just overworked) so the slightest change will dump adrenalin. Like i said before, a bag of sugar/salt mixture on the nightstand is a great trick for getting back to sleep quickly.
    I always have the feeling that if something is going to work, you need an initial green light. It may not work smoothly after that, but all the things I stick with are things that gave me some encouragement at first. So yes, I agree that it's significant enough to keep going with it

I've suspected for ages that I have weak adrenals, and Dr. Briffa when I met him suggested it to me too. I thought eating clean like I do would help it. Does this mean I really have to give up coffee?

Your theory is spot on and why any exercise can be counter productive to restoring health through thyroid and metabolism. Its just too much of a stress for you to handle right now. My best advice here would be to bundle up, slow it down and try to keep the sweat wiped off. Also another good idea could be to have a snack or drink you bring into the session and constantly consume sugar throughout. This almost guarantees that it will keep adrenalin blunted. I remember reading about a fellow Peatarian who would consume a litre of sugar water during his exercise. He was very lean and said it worked wonders, i still have been meaning to try this although im of the thought that emptying and filling glycogen is a good way to keep insulin sensitive and build larger stores. Making this a hot water drink might even add to the win.
    That's a good idea - I'll try this during Yoga tomorrow.

I'm guessing you've probably started to read the book by now

- Ray Peat

He definitely does not give a fuck. His life is far from care free and fun though, in fact he lives a almost third world life, haha. Has a horrible baby momma who bleeds him dry and fucks him over. Has three alcoholic fucks of parents and he has been on his own since 16. He has no car from multiple DUI's, has to walk everywhere. Without his weed he would be a horrible individual, lol.

I think not giving a fuck has a lot to do with it but one can not just become that mind set and have illness go away. He has had it forever and has never had illness to begin with so i believe its got to be something thats keeping him from getting fucked up. Not to many people in the world could hang with his schedule of drugs, work, walking and sleep.
    Your story about your mate made me think of another guy I know. I mentioned him on the Yoga thread - he was my American Yoga teacher in India. Ate vegan, barely did any exercise - he just rushed around all day: he didnt even do yoga anymore! He just taught it. But had what I would consider the ideal male body. Never got sick (I know him a few years). And he never broke a sweat in teh tropical heat.

Definitely a hot burner.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    All of this about body temperature is very interesting. I've always had a low temperature (97's) and experience I similar thing with cold/sweat. I am almost always freezing, but the colder I get, the more I sweat! The weird thing is, I do terribly in hot climates. I think my body just can't regulate its own temperature very well. I also have adrenal problems. I'll be very interested to see if the massive layers thing works for your sleep. Despite always being cold, I get very warm at night and can't wear much to bed. Maybe I have a different problem then you.
    Hey Ombat, wow, it sounds like the same thing actually! I've been getting really bad night sweats since starting this "Eating More" campaign, and my theory now is that the sweats are my body's way of cooling down and thus resisting the change in temperature set point. I found this woman's website, and she talks about how much she sweated while she tried to reset. Raise body temperature - Normal Body Temperature

SO having a low set point does not mean you don't sweat. In fact, the sweat might indicate that our set points are more resistant than other people's. That's the theory anyway...

How long has your temp been low?

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    Hmmm Yogabare, now you have me thinking. You posted a while ago about your cold bum and I spent most of my life with cold buttocks!. I have also described myself as always suffering from thee cold. Since eating primal my body temp, which used to swing wildly through the day,has mostly stabalised. I no longer feel as perpetually freezing as I used to.

My body temp has always been significantly lower than most peoples, I haven't taken my morning basal temp for years, but you've inspired me, I'm going to do it again. My extremities are always cold in winter, I am always cold in winter, but winter in Sydney not quite the same as north-eastern England sub-zero winters. I shake and shiver in my winter bed too. I (used to be) constantly constipated, always.

The seasons have just shifted and I've felt cold the last few days. I have a jumper on now and can feel the cold in my shoulders and round my head, it gives me a sensation in my jaw. Nobody else in our house gets cold like me. My son is sitting in shorts and t-shirt right now and I've asked him so many times if he wants a jumper on that he is getting annoyed with me. I'm cold and uncomfortable.

I will read that book. And I'm buying a thermometer this weekend. Interesting, your progress continues. Thanks for your insight, we are similar kinds of fish I think.
    I'm glad you got something from it! Have you started the book yet?

I also found this woman's site - she's very interesting: definitely a good read: Raise body temperature - Normal Body Temperature. But

- Ray Peat

Thanks for the anecdote!

I think there might be a few things going on here. There are people like our friends with chronically high temps, i dont know if there is a name for this. There are people who are hypothyroid with cold temps who benefit from warming things and there are people like you and YB who have a lowered temp brought on maybe by this Willis disease? And you are uncomfortable with any temp that is not close to your own. There might be some crossover with the hypo and low temp people but for me personally i was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroid which i have since cured with different means. This fits perfectly with me that i dont do well in colder environments when stressed and warm therapies work wonders for me, i cant get enough hot.
    Excellent summation Zach - thanks!

- Ray Peat

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Very interesting read. I was very unwell for years before finding this way of life....... and one of my concerns was my low body temp. Mainly in the 35Cs (95). The doctor wasn't even interested except to say - why are you bothering to take your temp so often ??????
    To those of you - in the know- can you acquire this T3 stuff in a natural suppliment - or do I need to go to a Doctor ??????
    UGH - doctors!!! Why are they so defensive when we have a bit of knowledge? I think they're afraid we're going to figure out how little they know

- Ray Peat