Page 195 of 244 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 195

  1. #1941
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,543
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    LOL i HATE coke so i could never do that. i seriously have never been able to understand the appeal of the flavour. you could do a coke icecream soda LOL kinda like a cold coke affogato! if you find out anything about that aspect of Peat i'd be interested. i prob should look into it too as it was what initially caught my eye. i was getting very sick of twitching eyes and cracked bones that shouldnt have from misadventures and every time i ran what i ate thru a tracker i was getting high phosphorus and low calcium and magnesium. i dont usually track either.
    Part of me doesn't want to think about it because I don't want to get too obsessive

    So do you actually eat Peat? Im never sure who's actually following the woe and who's just popping into the Peat thread for a chat!

    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Watch out! With all this new diet and supp stuff you might just start ovulating and not realize it and then WHAMMO!

    I think I'm fertile. I missed an ovulation when I had that test done, but normally I think I do ovulate and I'm usually quite regular. I got pregnant pretty easily when I had my kids too. I had super irregular periods back then but it seemed like I got pregnant at the first ovulation after trying. Now hubby got a vasectomy so we can relax and not have to worry about stuff. Every once and awhile I do panic that it will reverse itself and I'll end up preggers again. YIKES!!!
    LOL. All the more reason to start fertility charting Did you want to get pregnant and have kids? I have no biological drive to do so. Having kids just seems like a massive commitment, and I'd prefer to invest my energy into my career...


    Fertility charting

    Going to start by just noting stuff that's relevant to me.

    "The word “oestrogen” comes from a Greek word that means “to make mad with desire."' lol.



    "Early in my tenure, I began noticing that about 25 percent of the women who take my workshop are not ovulating. Or, their charts indicate that they may have hypothyroidism or progesterone deficiency. Often, more than one of these conditions shows up in the charts. Until they begin observing their fertility signals, most of these women consider themselves to be in good health.

    However, a woman who ovulates infrequently or not at all, for example, is at increased risk of uterine cancer, diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome, infertility, and other health problems.

    Once a woman understands from data she has collected herself that she isn't ovulating or that her fertility charts indicate some other health problem, she may question her feminine identity and become eager to strengthen her health."
    - Katie Singer

    The cycle

    With each new cycle, about a dozen follicles develop in the woman's ovaries--and they emit estrogen. Besides heightening her interest in sex, estrogen also produces cervical fluid, cools her body slightly, and opens her cervix. These three fertility signals (mucus, temperature and cervix changes) can all be observed by daily charting. if oestrogen heightens interest in sex, why did i lose my sex drive earlier this year?

    If the time between ovulation and menstruation is consistently less than eleven days, it's a sign may not have enough progesterone to sustain a pregnancy, and, hence, a propensity to miscarriage.

    If the woman has frequent "false peaks" wherein her cervical fluid builds up, but she doesn't ovulate, she may be at risk of ovarian cysts.

    Blood sugar levels are higher and more stable during the fertile time. Blood sugar is lowest during the pre-menstrual infertile time. This part is interesting - could explain why my blood sugar crashed three days ago. I feel like I have my period now, but there's been no bleed - I suspect because my iron has dropped too low

    It's important to note that ovulating is not the same as being fertile. Ovulation is the release of a ripe egg. A woman is fertile while she produces cervical fluid, which can keep sperm alive for up to five days--until she ovulates.

    After ovulation, whether or not the egg is fertilized, the empty sac remains in the ovary, and produces progesterone. This hormone dries up the woman's cervical fluid, warms her body temperature, closes the cervix, and makes the new uterine lining (created by estrogen) spongy for implantation. Because I don't ovulate I'm missing the stage of the cycle where progesterone is released, and thus have low progesterone?

    Cervix, temperature and cervical fluid.

    The cervix is soft and open during fertile phases, firm and closed during infertile phases.

    The waking temperature is typically cooler before ovulation, and warmer after ovulation.

    Cervical fluid normally cycles through the following pattern:

    after the period, a woman will normally experience several “dry” days. The cervical fluid samples she takes with toilet tissue or a clean finger from just inside her vagina will not feel slippery or textured. Then the cervical fluid will build up, beginning with a moist sensation and/or a tacky or creamy texture. Any mucus or moist sensation at the vulva after the period signals that the fertile phase has begun.

    Around the time of ovulation, the woman’s cervical fluid tends to become slippery and clear—like raw egg white. The last day of this stretchy cervical fluid or wet sen- sation is called the peak day and signals that ovulation is imminent.

    The next day, a transition to dryer cervical fluid occurs: the woman’s cervical fluid might be tacky or immediately dry. Because ovulation can take place up to 2 days before or after the peak day— and the woman may ovulate more than one egg, with each egg liv- ing up to 24 hours—for the purpose of contraception the woman is considered fertile until the fourth day after the peak. For the remainder of the cycle, a healthy woman will secrete cervical fluid that is dryer than the peak day’s secretions.
    Aberrations from this pattern, like those of the BBT, can reveal imbalances in a woman’s overall health.

    http://www.gardenoffertility.com/

    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-29-2013 at 07:18 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  2. #1942
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,016
    Part of me doesn't want to think about it because I don't want to get too obsessive

    So do you actually eat Peat? Im never sure who's actually following the woe and who's just popping into the Peat thread for a chat!
    i hear you on the obsessive thing. in the past i've accidentally discovered how low carb i really was by sticking my food thru a tracker when i was cutting. and i was like wtf <12g carbs today?! i also accidentally found out how high phosphorus my diet was by seeing the steak and eggs breakdown and wondering. so yeah. i dont usually track or count anything. i just food evade in certain cases.

    not really Peating. more finding my way. i am the poster child for the dodgyness of low carb as i have the slow weight creep, the lack of energy, the sugar cravings and crashes, bad sleep patterns etc. i noticed too all the VLC peeps do not exercise as much as i do and i enjoy exercise, it's not a burden to keep me thin. i really do not like rice or bananas and the whole idea of "safe starches" seems kinda bizarre. i am not overly enamoured with sugar but i can do fruit. love my coffee. prefer leaner cuts of meat to the fatty ones anyways. never liked bacon, i so dont get the big thing with that either. chicken i prefer the broth to the meat. oily fish i have to have smoked before i like it. love shellfish. i have always supplemented with gelatin on an erratic basis so aspects of peat are very appealing. i also maintain tobacco is nowhere near as bad as it is made out. plus i have/had an 18kg box of oranges to get thru, a gamey stag and stuff all money the last week or so.

  3. #1943
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post



    LOL. All the more reason to start fertility charting Did you want to get pregnant and have kids? I have no biological drive to do so. Having kids just seems like a massive commitment, and I'd prefer to invest my energy into my career...

    It is of course a long story. Neither of us thought we'd have kids, or at least adopt. Didn't want to pass on our genes or contribute to population growth. Then somehow biology took over us and we thought we should start a family. The whole time period is a blur and we still can't figure out what happened in our heads! So, we did do it on purpose and planned on having two. By the time it was time to think about the second we thought that seemed like a bad idea (1st one was so colicky she screamed half the day and was on the verge of it the rest of the time) but it turned out I was already a few weeks pregnant. So, our original planned won even against our wishes. My kids are awesome and I of course wouldn't regret them but at this point in my global awareness I would never bring more life into this world. We need to stop the population growth imo and there are so many kids without homes already needing adoption. I also think that introverts aren't made to be parents. I think we are doing a good job, my kids are the kindest and best behaved kids I've ever seen but it is a HUGE sacrifice on our part. I just realize now how important time to myself is and the selfish pursuit of my own interests. All of that is pushed aside now to put them first. That is fine, it is how it should be at this stage, but I do find it hard. I think all the introverts I know seem to have a hard time with parenthood compared with the extroverts, but I also think they do the best job of raising good citizens. I certainly think you are right to not have kids. It should be something that you feel you want more than anything else and even then it is probably more than you think you're signing up for. I know I sound negative about it but I just think that when someone is childless people come at them with nothing but dreamy stories of having a family and then as soon as they are born everyone opens up and tells you every detail of how hard and unending the sacrifice is. It should be the other way around. Anyway, all I'm trying to say is, good for you for knowing what you want and what is most important to you.

  4. #1944
    diene's Avatar
    diene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northeastern U.S.
    Posts
    1,660
    I've tried fertility charting multiple times in my life but could never stick to it. Good for you for starting! You may want to get a basal body thermometer and chart your basal body temperature.

    I think sex drive is probably influenced by more factors than just estrogen.

  5. #1945
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,543
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i hear you on the obsessive thing. in the past i've accidentally discovered how low carb i really was by sticking my food thru a tracker when i was cutting. and i was like wtf <12g carbs today?! i also accidentally found out how high phosphorus my diet was by seeing the steak and eggs breakdown and wondering. so yeah. i dont usually track or count anything. i just food evade in certain cases.

    not really Peating. more finding my way. i am the poster child for the dodgyness of low carb as i have the slow weight creep, the lack of energy, the sugar cravings and crashes, bad sleep patterns etc. i noticed too all the VLC peeps do not exercise as much as i do and i enjoy exercise, it's not a burden to keep me thin. i really do not like rice or bananas and the whole idea of "safe starches" seems kinda bizarre. i am not overly enamoured with sugar but i can do fruit. love my coffee. prefer leaner cuts of meat to the fatty ones anyways. never liked bacon, i so dont get the big thing with that either. chicken i prefer the broth to the meat. oily fish i have to have smoked before i like it. love shellfish. i have always supplemented with gelatin on an erratic basis so aspects of peat are very appealing. i also maintain tobacco is nowhere near as bad as it is made out. plus i have/had an 18kg box of oranges to get thru, a gamey stag and stuff all money the last week or so.
    Lol - you sound like a picky eater! And on that subject; ironically being on the Peat woe has made me a really picky eater... When I was a kid there was very little I wanted to eat; when I developed an ED I could (and would) eat everything. Now I find loads of things off-putting... I can barely even stomach meat these days It's really strange.

    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    It is of course a long story. Neither of us thought we'd have kids, or at least adopt. Didn't want to pass on our genes or contribute to population growth. Then somehow biology took over us and we thought we should start a family. The whole time period is a blur and we still can't figure out what happened in our heads! So, we did do it on purpose and planned on having two. By the time it was time to think about the second we thought that seemed like a bad idea (1st one was so colicky she screamed half the day and was on the verge of it the rest of the time) but it turned out I was already a few weeks pregnant. So, our original planned won even against our wishes. My kids are awesome and I of course wouldn't regret them but at this point in my global awareness I would never bring more life into this world. We need to stop the population growth imo and there are so many kids without homes already needing adoption. I also think that introverts aren't made to be parents. I think we are doing a good job, my kids are the kindest and best behaved kids I've ever seen but it is a HUGE sacrifice on our part. I just realize now how important time to myself is and the selfish pursuit of my own interests. All of that is pushed aside now to put them first. That is fine, it is how it should be at this stage, but I do find it hard. I think all the introverts I know seem to have a hard time with parenthood compared with the extroverts, but I also think they do the best job of raising good citizens. I certainly think you are right to not have kids. It should be something that you feel you want more than anything else and even then it is probably more than you think you're signing up for. I know I sound negative about it but I just think that when someone is childless people come at them with nothing but dreamy stories of having a family and then as soon as they are born everyone opens up and tells you every detail of how hard and unending the sacrifice is. It should be the other way around. Anyway, all I'm trying to say is, good for you for knowing what you want and what is most important to you.
    Thank you for sharing all that PM! Actually, I'm very close to my sister, and I can see first hand how exhausting, draining, and challenging having kids has been for her and her husband. Any threat of my broodiness was annihilated with the birth of my niece

    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I've tried fertility charting multiple times in my life but could never stick to it. Good for you for starting! You may want to get a basal body thermometer and chart your basal body temperature.

    I think sex drive is probably influenced by more factors than just estrogen.
    Everything I'm reading about fertility charting is AMAZING. I think it would be a good thing for any woman to do! It would be cool if there was a bunch of us doing it together, though I'm not quite sure how it would work.

    You're right about the sex drive - I was really depressed last winter, so that was part of it. Right now my libido is through the roof but I'll never know if it's from the woe or from the physical contact with the sexy man friend...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  6. #1946
    diene's Avatar
    diene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northeastern U.S.
    Posts
    1,660
    I'd say sexy man friend.

  7. #1947
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,543
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I'd say sexy man friend.
    I'd say you're right

    Monday, 30th Sept

    I wish MDA had a calendar function for the journals... would be so useful for inputting data like exercise (and fertility charting )

    Was surprised when my period arrived today. And delighted: this means that my cycle this month was 24 days!!! That's the longest it's been in nearly a year!!! Don't want to speak too soon, but it feels like progress Also, I'm experiencing a tiny bit of cramping, which I never normally do! I'm also assuming this is a good thing (I read somewhere before that a period shouldn't be completely painless and light).

    The fertility charting is already helping a lot. I've read what symptoms are associated with each stage of the cycle, and it's amazing to see that my body is responding like clockwork. My temp dropped this morning, as it does before you start menstruating. My blood sugar dropped when I entered the pre-menstrual phase, and I had three-four days of exhaustion. Now with menstruation I already feel lighter. It's incredible really. And apparently just the act of observing your cycle is enough to alleviate the symptoms. That's my hope. I would just LOVE a 28 day cycle with a pre-menstrual phase that doesn't put me in a coma...

    Exercise log for the week is disappointing. Had to take three days off cos of TOM.

    Mon: Swimming: 24 lengths: 4 sprint, 4 cool down.

    Tues: Lifting:
    DL 30kg x 12 x 3
    Squat 20kg x 12 x 3; 25kg x 10
    Lunge 20kg x 20 x 2
    Clean and Jerk 15kg x 8 x 3

    Wed 25th: 50 min cycle

    Thurs 26th: nothing
    Fri 27th: nothing
    Sat 28th: nothing

    Sun 29th: 45 mins Yoga, 5 mins hula-twerking, 20 min cycle

    Mon 30th: 20 min jog-walk, 2 x 100 metre sprints, 10 mins swinging, chin ups: 10 (hanging, jump ups, assisted), 5 mins hula-twerking.

    Haven't run in a long time but really felt the urge today - it was nice to get the lymph pumping. Had a weird feeling as I sprinted: my arms and legs were making bigger motions... it feels like my joints and muscles are moving more fluidly?

    No weight loss this week, but I'm realising that I lose weight on a monthly basis. I lose some, then regain a little on my TOM, then lose again. Anyway, weirdly I don't give a shit about my weight right now. I want to be thinner, but I'm not in a rush. I'm content let the weight come off in its own time.

    Lights out

    Also, last night I wore a sleeping mask and I slept for ten hours..! My sleep is pretty erratic at the moment, but ten hours (9.30pm to 7.30pm) is a new record! I'll try it again tonight, but I've realised that most things work for me the first time I try them, then they stop. Apparently a lot of people report better sleep with blackout blinds etc, but a lot of people also report better sleep when they supplement magnesium or eat a lot of salt...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-30-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  8. #1948
    moluv's Avatar
    moluv is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    1,033
    What is this hula-twerking you speak of???

  9. #1949
    turquoisepassion's Avatar
    turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NYC (and ATX)
    Posts
    2,777
    I think strength training increases testosterone which increases libido as well...



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

  10. #1950
    dilberryhoundog's Avatar
    dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Haven't run in a long time but really felt the urge today - it was nice to get the lymph pumping. Had a weird feeling as I sprinted: my arms and legs were making bigger motions... it feels like my joints and muscles are moving more fluidly?
    Reminds me of I tip I learnt when I was a teenage distance runner.

    Swing your hands past your hips when you run. A lot of people run with T-Rex arms all bunched up under their arm pits, this reduces running efficiency by a large margin

    Oh and I liked your workout week schedule



    Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •