Page 182 of 244 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 182

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    For you, you were dealing with the slow change of each day passing and improvement happening gradually. For me, I was away from the forum for a few months, came back and POOF your whole situation seemed completely different from when I had last checked up on you. Like how my kids grow so slow I don't notice but someone who hasn't seen them in a bit is amazed at how much they have grown.
    Ah, I getcha Actually, it doesn't feel slow to me! Considering I was hitting brick walls for 13 years prior to starting this journal I'm now moving at the speed of light Well, apart from the weight loss, which ironically was always the easy thing for me in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Just knowing that my energy and mood were to improve in a few days during my last couple of periods was enough to mitigate a lot of the angst that came along with it. Perhaps you should write something now that you are back to normal to be read at the start of your next cycle ensuring you that it will all be over soon. Until you find a way to get rid of the symptoms, that's all I got.

Also my sleep was terrible last night as well (woke from 3:30-5 am) which never happens to me and I think it was because I ate a lot before bed. Time after time of eating a larger meal before sleep has resulted in a restless night for me... Weird how its opposite for you and most.
    That's a really good idea - I'll do that!

I have to take back what I said: even though I ate right before bed, I couldn't sleep, and I woke up after 1.5 hours. So I'm starting to see that sometimes food can help, and sometimes it can't. Wonder what the variable is...

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    A few years ago, my mother apologized for being too anxious when she was pregnant with me. She said that's what made me anxious.

When I was pregnant in India, and everyone says the mental state of the pregnant woman is most important, even beyond diet. I guess in the old days, people's diets were healthy by default.
    That's pretty insightful that she knows that! My mum is convinced that people don't even have a subconscious

Quote Originally Posted by ginafirenze View Post
    I unfortunately have a MAJOR tendency to binge. Why do you think you aren't as interested in junk anymore? A physiological need that is now being that was not being met prior? I'm not exactly sure what I believe causes it, but the deficiency/intolerance idea makes sense to me. As far as my diet is concerned, a typical day is as follows:
    B - 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado
    L - mixed greens salad with some sort of protein (grass fed beef, chicken from farmers market, etc.), avocado, onions, broccoli, carrots..pretty much whatever veggies I have hanging around
    D - mostly protein and a veg. sometimes another salad.
    Will sometimes, but rarely, snack in between meals on fruit, veggies, jerky, or nuts. I only drink water, sometimes coffee (either with cream or coconut milk or just cinnamon and a touch of sugar), and the occasional coconut water. Supplement with magnesium citrate (helps me sleep), D3, and B3.

When I was at my fittest, I was eating low carb, averaging ~50g or less/day. I was also doing IF, starting my day with bulletproof coffee, and my eating window ranged from around 2-4PM to about 8PM. My cravings were practically gone, I didn't binge or even have the urge to for many months. However, when I go low carb now, it doesn't have the same effect on me, and actually makes me crave more. Maybe it is my mental mindset, not my actual physiology? The Peat WOE interests me/I think I could be successful with it (judging from your food outline from today -- if I ate grapes, goat cheese, and brie in a day I would probably be the happiest lady in all of Massachusetts). I should read more into the few Peat threads on here -- one of which I think you started What foods have you been eating most? For yoga, I have been doing mostly Vinyasa and am really, really enjoying it. I feel more at peace (with myself, just life in general) after every session. What kind do you do?

Apologize for the lengthy post...feel as though I'm hijacking your journal! Happy to read that as of today you are feeling amazing -- hope things continue to go well with friends and work! xx
    You're not hijacking at all! It's good to converse about this.

I'm sorry to hear that you binge a lot - I know how destructive it is to the self esteem. I remember lying on my bed after a binge filled with self loathing. It's horrible.

Having come through BED to the other side, I don't believe it's a psychological disease. I used to think that, and I would beat myself up for being so weak and not being able to stop. But like I said, now I'm sure that it arises from physiological needs. You are pretty low carb, and I bet your body is screaming for simple sources of energy. I honestly think that if you started to incorporate more fruit and simple sugars into your diet, your desire to binge would gradually start to decline.

I can understand why you want to stick with low carb - you had great success with it at one stage, and it seems logical that to look like that again, you need to do what you did before. My story is sooo like yours. When I started Primal I was 125 lbs (at 5'8, so pretty lean - 19% bf). I went VLC initially and I dropped even more weight, and I have to admit, my body looked pretty good. I was getting asked if I was a dancer by people (sigh). Anyway, this only lasted a month or so, and then I relapsed into the most horrific bout of BED I've ever had. I would get up in the morning and start binging - was eating ben and jerrys and cookies slathered in nutella for breakfast, and then would binge again in the evening. It was hell. Bye-bye nice body! I don't know how much I gained at what stages, but in the space of a year I gained 20 lbs (highest weight being 144 lbs). I'm sure that being VLC was what triggered the relapse, because there was nothing bad happening in my life.

Overall it's been a good experience though! It would be nice to have that svelte body again, but honesty, I was never happy with it anyway! And I was living in fear that some day I would binge and gain weight. I had BED for 13 years, and for most of that time I binged at least once a week. Being free from that habit, and all the negative emotions that it brought with it is indescribable. Although now I'm just kind of used to it

Since starting to eat Peat the binging is really just a memory, because I'm only eating foods I love! Mostly dairy, fruit, shell fish, and sugar. Sometimes I have ice cream. It's great Rather than shifting to a Peat diet though, would you just consider not being low carb anymore, and seeing how you felt?

Vinyasa is cool - I teach a form called Tantra, but when I go to classes I go to Anusaura - it's sooo amazing! Also Tantra derived. I really recommend it! I bet you could find a class in Boston.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

JanSz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hebsie
    Hey Jan,

I sent this PM to a young (30 something) 1/2 Polish girl that lives in England and posts over at MDA (she goes by the name of YogaBare). She's having some hormone issues, is 'playing' around with prog, NDT, etc...and looks like she could REALLY use some 'expert' help.

Do you think you could get in touch with her, either via her journal thread, or even a PM over at MDA? It would be most appreciated. Here is the brief PM that I sent her earlier today

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare
    Quote Originally Posted by hebsie
    ...just a thought here. Do you remember JanSz that used to post here (last year mostly)??

JanSz is a good friend of mine. He's an old(er) retired engineer, lives in the US, but born/raised in Poland. So his command of the English language is good, but not always 'great'.

Anyways, JanSz is VERY good at working with hormones, blood tests, etc... and truly a great online resource.

You can reach him on the ATM forum, or I can ask him to post here, publicly in your Journal thread.

Let me know...Dave
    Hey Dave,

Honestly... that is so sweet of you to message! And that is an amazing suggestion. I never encountered JanSz but ironically I'm half Polish and speak the language It would be so amazing to get his feedback... I need help with all this and have no problem getting bloods done - it's the Polish way It would be so great if you could put us in contact... Maybe if he posted here it would benefit some other people. But I don't mind reaching him through that other forum... whatever works for him.

thank you again so much for the offer and for thinking of me!

YB x
    ...her journal is here

YogaBare journal

Hi YogaBare;

You have a nice journal, but for the purpose of discussing your health situation it would be preferable to use dedicated thread.

To concentrate on the issue at hand and to minimize sidetracking it would be convenient if you start new thread here:

All Things Male

Please PM me there if you do.

All Things Male

Quote Originally Posted by JanSz View Post
    Hi YogaBare;

You have a nice journal, but for the purpose of discussing your health situation it would be preferable to use dedicated thread.

To concentrate on the issue at hand and to minimize sidetracking it would be convenient if you start new thread here:

All Things Male

Please PM me there if you do.

All Things Male

Thanks so much Jan! I'll start one now. I'm presuming it doesn't matter that I'm not male?

ETA: Just got a message saying registration has been disabled by the administrator...? Maybe I can start a thread here on MDA instead?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-12-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Thursday, 12th Sept

Was completely knackered today!!! I don't know what's going on. The Raw THyroid is making me tired after I take it, but today the tiredness set in from early afternoon and didn't leave. I'm also having a cold sore breakout on my top and bottom lips! Never had that before. Don't know if I'm just really run down (why would I be?), or if it's the sup doing weird things to me. Not saying these things are bad - but I definitely feel different since starting to take it. I wonder if my body misses the progesterone? I read an article saying you shouldn't take both, so I'm planning to just test out the thyroid for a week and see how i feel without progesterone. If I keep feeling tired I might have to add it back in.

- Ray Peat

diene is offline Senior Member
    I thought that thyroid is only supposed to make you sleepy at first? Then it's supposed to give you energy and make you feel less tired.

About the sleep: I know you don't want to take more supps, but have you considered rhodiola? It really helped me sleep. It needs to be rotated with something else though. You become tolerant to it after a while. Drumroll has two threads that have some good info on that. I ordered passion flower, which is the other thing that he took that helped him sleep. I'm rotating out the rhodiola and rotating in the passion flower.

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I thought that thyroid is only supposed to make you sleepy at first? Then it's supposed to give you energy and make you feel less tired.

About the sleep: I know you don't want to take more supps, but have you considered rhodiola? It really helped me sleep. It needs to be rotated with something else though. You become tolerant to it after a while. Drumroll has two threads that have some good info on that. I ordered passion flower, which is the other thing that he took that helped him sleep. I'm rotating out the rhodiola and rotating in the passion flower.
    Where did you hear that thyroid makes you tired at first? (by "at first" - do you mean right after you take it, or at the start of your course? I've only been taking it four days..)

Thanks hon. I will try the rhodiola if the raw thyroid doesn't work I'm trying to get to the root of the cause...

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Yo, do you take magnesium (citrate) before bedtime? I find it helps me sleep better and it's a good supplement to take, anyway.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Having come through BED to the other side, I don't believe it's a psychological disease. I used to think that, and I would beat myself up for being so weak and not being able to stop. But like I said, now I'm sure that it arises from physiological needs. You are pretty low carb, and I bet your body is screaming for simple sources of energy. I honestly think that if you started to incorporate more fruit and simple sugars into your diet, your desire to binge would gradually start to decline.

I can understand why you want to stick with low carb - you had great success with it at one stage, and it seems logical that to look like that again, you need to do what you did before. My story is sooo like yours. When I started Primal I was 125 lbs (at 5'8, so pretty lean - 19% bf). I went VLC initially and I dropped even more weight, and I have to admit, my body looked pretty good. I was getting asked if I was a dancer by people (sigh). Anyway, this only lasted a month or so, and then I relapsed into the most horrific bout of BED I've ever had. I would get up in the morning and start binging - was eating ben and jerrys and cookies slathered in nutella for breakfast, and then would binge again in the evening. It was hell. Bye-bye nice body! I don't know how much I gained at what stages, but in the space of a year I gained 20 lbs (highest weight being 144 lbs). I'm sure that being VLC was what triggered the relapse, because there was nothing bad happening in my life.

Since starting to eat Peat the binging is really just a memory, because I'm only eating foods I love! Mostly dairy, fruit, shell fish, and sugar. Sometimes I have ice cream. It's great Rather than shifting to a Peat diet though, would you just consider not being low carb anymore, and seeing how you felt?
    I do think eating whole foods and incorporating Peat's principles work really well in overcoming binge eating. I didn't eat sugary or sweet things for years and always binged on those. Now that I eat sugar and fruits freely, I stopped craving sweet things. I have ice cream in my fridge that I made last week and I haven't had the urge to eat it. Back in my binging days, I never understood how a person can leave uneaten ice cream in their fridge.

And the interesting thing is, the sugar I consume daily isn't really that much. I add maybe a few tsp of sugar (total) to my coffees during the day. Besides this I just eat fruit and rice. Everything adds up to around 250g of carbs daily.

I do believe that if you have a healthy metabolism, you won't put on weight beyond a certain point. My SIL eats a high starch diet, and she has trouble gaining beyond 90 lbs at 5'2". She doesn't restrict herself and just goes by appetite. I envy most not having any sort of attachment towards food, and just eat for fuel.

The leap needed to believe that sugar is OK is similar to that leap needed to believe that fat is OK, which Primal Blueprint helped with.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    That's a really good idea - I'll do that!

I have to take back what I said: even though I ate right before bed, I couldn't sleep, and I woke up after 1.5 hours. So I'm starting to see that sometimes food can help, and sometimes it can't. Wonder what the variable is...
    Same goes with body image issues during that TOM. If I notice that I'm really despising myself in the mirror and see that I'm nearing my cycle, I automatically go into dgaf / won't even look in the mirror mode because I know it's all a trick of the.... hormones.

Sleep issues could be cycle related too, yeah?
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Yo, do you take magnesium (citrate) before bedtime? I find it helps me sleep better and it's a good supplement to take, anyway.
    Mg has never helped me sleep Thanks for the thought though!

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    The leap needed to believe that sugar is OK is similar to that leap needed to believe that fat is OK, which Primal Blueprint helped with.
    That's an excellent summation Girl! Sig worthy

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Same goes with body image issues during that TOM. If I notice that I'm really despising myself in the mirror and see that I'm nearing my cycle, I automatically go into dgaf / won't even look in the mirror mode because I know it's all a trick of the.... hormones.

Sleep issues could be cycle related too, yeah?
    Definitely hormone related, but not cycle as 1) I don't seem to have a cycle , 2) the insomnia is chronic.

That's so interesting that you get the body hate right before your period! I've noticed that too - even though I'll be the same size, I'll suddenly start to feel really unattractive. I wonder if there's a biological / evolutionary reason behind that...

- Ray Peat