Page 180 of 244 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190230 ... LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 180

ginafirenze is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi YB!

Just read your journal “cover to cover” (is that embarrassing...)? I wish you could realize what a strong, beautiful, empowering woman you are. I completely sympathize with your body issues – even body hate, at times – and the fact that you had a trainer add some fuel to the fire recently is less than helpful. For the past few months I had been seeing a PT, and he convinced me to continue signing up for sessions because I still had “plenty to lose” and I "needed to look good in a bikini" (I apparently would make people flee the beach like a scene from Jaws at my current weight). I decided to stop seeing him about a month ago because as opposed to feeling strong and empowered by my workouts, I started feeling terrible about myself. If you are anything like me, you may feel almost as though you deserved the comments/treatment from your PT, and are unfortunately able justify them in your own mind. I promise you, you DON'T deserve them, and what he said is COMPLETELY unmerited!

Taking up yoga recently has really helped me start to value my body – I remember reading that you do it for more spiritual reasons and I can’t speak to your practice, but with every movement I hope you realize how amazing your body is and all that it is doing for you (hope that doesn't sound cheesy). I did a freakin' chin stand yesterday -- that has to make me at least a little bit of a badass! I saw your pictures, and you have a beautiful figure – one I am envious of! It is certainly a long road, and there are days I beat myself up, eat far more than I should, eat things that don't make me feel my best, etc. But I hope to be able to overcome the obstacles. And I certainly hope the same for you.

What supplements do you feel you’ve had the best results with during your experimentation through this journey? How are you doing with your Peat way of eating?

Will continue to follow your journey -- look forward to hopefully hearing about some more good days from you! Sending lots of positivity from Beantown

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Hey, hey, what kind of topical B3 are you guys using?
    Just NOW brand niacinamide. Like Turquoise said, it dissolves in water..
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Wednesday, 11th Sept

Woke up today, feeling "normal" for the first time in a week! That was a pretty nasty energy crash. Yesterday was by far the worst day... - I couldnt even peel myself out of bed, and had to cancel my yoga class The "depressed and hopeless" feelings were omnipresent, and in that state it becomes difficult to remember that they are being caused by hormonal fluxes. I start to think that it's mental, and that's what pulls me into the rabbit hole...

Then suddenly I wake up one day, and it's gone. It's crazy. And I know the cycle will repeat the next time I get my period.

But you know, it's kind of a blessing. It's made me realise that my body comp is such a trivial thing compared to feeling happy, having energy, and living my life. It makes me want to cry at how hung up on body hate I get when there is so much to be grateful for with my new lease of life. You can't have it all... or at least, not right away From now on, losing fat is taking a back seat to things like optimising my energy, getting stronger, and reducing stress. I should really make this my sig... I find it hard to accept that I have a health condition, but I think if I do it will take the pressure off myself to look a certain way.

I've started taking Raw Thryoid, and I really like how it makes me feel. It's like a very mild dose of ecstasy, lol. Both times I've taken it I've felt a nice warmth flooding through my body, and I've fallen asleep shortly afterwards, so I think it might work better for me if taken at night. I also read that if you're taking it to improve oestrogen dominance, you should stop taking progesterone at the same time. Which makes sense to me, but makes me nervous at the same time.

The flare in insomnia could an indicator that my oestrogen is on the rise. I can't get to sleep, or I keep waking in the middle of the night needing to eat something. 'And yes, I'm getting enough food

I'm going to email Ray Peat and ask him for advice. I hope he replies. I'm in over my head with this.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-11-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    OK, this Peat stuff is interesting. Here's my problem- 3 days of incorporating dairy and I feel so puffy and sick to my stomach. Sore joints, irritable.

Like you said YB, I think that high fat+ high carb= gain. I am always tempted to return to my LFHC ways, b/c I feel like I'm at least doing something! But I don't really want to go there again. And does it really hurt thyroid function?

I wonder if there is a way to go low fat, high nutrient, no (or very little) dairy, and lean out with good energy. But still eat real food, with some variety.... any ideas? What's the real deal w/ grains?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Fruit and calcium carbonate. Replace dairy with other sources of protein, like lean meat. What sort of dairy are you eating?

I've started taking Raw Thryoid, and I really like how it makes me feel. It's like a very mild dose of ecstasy, lol. Both times I've taken it I've felt a nice warmth flooding through my body, and I've fallen asleep shortly afterwards, so I think it might work better for me if taken at night.
    This is what happens when you listen to me.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Derpamix;1307285]Fruit and calcium carbonate. Replace dairy with other sources of protein, like lean meat. What sort of dairy are you eating?

I'm eating low fat cottage cheese, milk, and cheese. It's good quality stuff, not full if crap but it just seems to not agree with me. Fruit and meat together? Or does fruit need to be eaten alone?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Low vitamin c fruit like dates can be eaten with meat, otherwise you'll want to separate them due to the iron content in meat
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I personally think I was anxious since birth, lol. I barely talked in my childhood, my parents had me tested because they thought I was mute. Conversation with non-family until late teens made be extremely anxious. My world was largely internal. I also had chronic acne from 10-18 years old, and some scarring from that, and my mother never hid the fact she thought I was ugly and a girl without a pretty face is worthless. She comes from a traditional family where girls' only goal in life is to get married. Because of this she doesn't care about anything except physical appearance. She always favored my prettiest sister. Besides this I guess I needed a lot of emotional support from 10 years old onwards (moved several times, lived away from home, bullied by cousins and classmates, etc) and she was never there (even though she did not have to work), and I resented her.

Now that I'm a mother myself, I can understand how hard it was for her. Still can't stand her though. My sisters are all obsessed with their faces and figures at the expense of health. I moved away from her as soon as I was able to, because I cannot keep my sanity in that environment.

Support is indeed crucial and it's awesome that you found this in MDA. I've read some parts of your journal and it's amazing to see the transformation. I get inspired by stories and self-experimentation... scientific studies never did it for me. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Oh, I wanted to ask-- have you eliminated starch completely?

I really want to but have difficulty doing so because I cook for my husband and kid, and both of them can't live without rice.

Plus, rice is really cheap compared to fruits...
    Hey girl, I believe that some people are born anxious! I think I was born depressed. My mu was severely depressed when she was pregnant with me, and I believe that the pregnant's mother's experience affects the baby's development. I'm really sorry to hear all the emotional trauma you went through. It's amazing that you've developed into a rational person and a loving mother - more power to you.

Yeah, I've totally eliminated starch. I'm pretty sure that it's the main reason I don't have daily energy crashes any more! Not everyone is as sensitive to it as I am though, so you can always explore it if you like. Peat is generally not behind starch, apart from white potatoes but hey, do what works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Kind of sounds like my mom - she had finally "accepted" that her body was just at it's natural weight, would still exercise and eat really well (she'd been primal a bit already) and would just deal. Then she tried going low carb for whatever reason and lost 20 pounds in the blink of an eye. So (and I can say this to you) there's another instance of letting go -> -> -> -> profit.

B3 - topically and orally - (I know I say that a million times but I'm driving the point home) has helped my acne tremendously. I notice an instant regression the moment I ease up. The leprosy, however.... okay let's not even joke about that. Your skin has been fine, has it not?
    Yeah, as said in my update above, my latest crash has made me realise how stupid it is to agonise over losing a few lbs when so many other things in my life are going well. Focus on what you want, not what you don't want and all that

I've been using the topical Vit B for several months now. My skin does look great these days

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    And hkgirl, my parents do not compare me to my siblings but they still love to call me fat. Yay for parents! Mom once said to me while I was trying on clothes, "that shirt only looks good on someone with big boobs and small waist. You have neither"
    Seriously? Kids can be so cruel...

Oh. Wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    This is what happens when you listen to me.
    I have purchased my "Derpamix was right" t-shirt, and I have decided to forgo all thinking from now on and delegate to you. Okay?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    ^hah, I would probably wear a shirt that said that just because nobody would have any idea what it referred to. Unless I randomly encountered someone from MDA, then they'd either be outraged, or amused.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    But you know, it's kind of a blessing. It's made me realise that my body comp is such a trivial thing compared to feeling happy, having energy, and living my life. It makes me want to cry at how hung up on body hate I get when there is so much to be grateful for with my new lease of life. You can't have it all... or at least, not right away From now on, losing fat is taking a back seat to things like optimising my energy, getting stronger, and reducing stress. I should really make this my sig... I find it hard to accept that I have a health condition, but I think if I do it will take the pressure off myself to look a certain way.
    That sucks that you have a health condition, and I do too most likely, but I think it's a good thing that body fat and perfect comp are not number one priority. I've probably said that a thousand times already, but that's what I strive for, good health first and foremost.
    My raw thyroid is finally supposed to arrive at some point today. Do you take a whole pill once a day? I read it's good to start with half or even a quarter two times a day and to gradually increase from there.