Page 18 of 244 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 18

Zach is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Most likely just TSH then which is a rough guide at best but better then nothing.

Why dont you move? You can teach yoga pretty much anywhere with your credentials.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Most likely just TSH then which is a rough guide at best but better then nothing.

Why dont you move? You can teach yoga pretty much anywhere with your credentials.
    Yeah, I never meant to stay in London, or even this part of the world. I'm a California girl at heart! I'd already be living there... if the American government weren't such Nazis about visas

And yeah, both my jobs are transferable to any part of the world. Cape Town is my second option if my Cali scheme doesn't work out.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    OK, every time I see your journal title I know it's (This is Not a) Love Song... but then I see Lobe stuck in the middle of it and my brain digs up Lisa Lobe!
    (Which is this, if you don't remember her from the mid 90's)

So what I get is a really WEIRD mental mashup... really weird. O_o

Also, the laying in the sun naked in London comment above.
    That made me LOL.
    I have it easier being in sunny FL, but I'm very pale/sun sensitive and take a med that makes me even more ultra sensitive to the sun, so... not so much!
    HA! Those 1990's music videos of someone walking around a house singing... classic

Thanks for the linkage Cori - I actually used to really like that song as a teenager: it was a nice trip down memory lane

Havent seen you posting lately - are you good??
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

E.M.T.W.L

Entry Twenty-Five: What happened?

Well, I guess I was on a good stretch, so there was bound to be a blip. Today started with me bouncing off the walls with energy, and then I crashed.

Sleep:
    12am - 6am. Not a great sleep last night, again. At least it was six hours, but I think the accumulation of bad sleep over the last five days is starting to get to me. Not much sweating last night. I woke up warm but shivery.

Temperature:
    35.7C (96.26F)

Skin:
    Skin on my face looks really good I have to say! It's glowing. But dry on my body.

Betenin HCl
    Took two tabs with my 11 o' clock banana. They say to take it with a big meal, but I thought it might help with my hunger. Even so, didn't feel any burning but I did start burping again. And, I got a weird feeling in the tip of my index finger. Interestingly, the index finger is the acupuncture point for the large intestine!

Food:
    Another hungry day.

Screen Shot 2013-04-11 at 15.05.04.jpg

Breakfast: 7am: Primmeal
    Snack: 11am, Banana
    Lunch: 1pm, Thai green coconut curry with fish and mussels; Creme fraiche
    Snack: 2.30pm: Honey
    Snack: 5pm, Strawberries

I feel like I went back a step today. I woke up hungry, and kept feeling hungry. I was resisting it a bit. I had a banana as a snack, but I realised I was craving fat. So I had a fatty lunch, and then right after it, I crashed. Massive energy crash where I had to lie down on the sofa, huddling for warmth in a blanket, and then I fell asleep. When I woke up I was hungry again, and craving sugar, so I ate Manuka honey.

It's so good to have a lot of energy, and then so frustrating just one day later to be comatosed on the coach. I can't help but wonder why this happened. Was I tired after the journey and the lack of sleep? Is it London? (Seriously, London is tiring, and I can't stand my house - it has such negative energy, and I wonder if it sucks the life out of me. But I guess I can't blame my house... I've been crashing for years). Or is something going on beneath the bonnet? If so, what???!

I had some strawberries and I felt better, but I still feel tired.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is not a linear process. At least I know now that I don't feel like this because I'm lazy - something does happen to me. And at least I got my power walk in before I crashed

Body:
    Weird things are happening. My chin is getting fatter, but my cheek bones are coming back? MY lower thighs are leaning out, but my belly continues into its second trimester.

I'm still gaining. And I'm still eating a ton. What to do?

And at the end of the day:
    Blah. Tomorrow is another day!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-11-2013 at 03:52 PM.

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    I wouldnt take HCl unless its with a high protein/fat meal. Its to train your stomach to produce its own HCl which it does not need for sugar/starch.

And dont underestimate the power of negative energy! Stress in all forms is a huge part of health.

Zach is offline Banned
    Thanks! And your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I really like that quote! I read it several times, and I can get a lot of different things from it, it's got a lot of dimensions.

And don't worry about the friend thing! I moved way across the country 4 years ago, and left most of my reallllly good childhood friends behind. Since then, everyone has been nice, but I still haven't found really close people to be around all the time. It's very hard and different to make friends where I live now. It's like a different culture up here, and they make friends differently, converse differently, meet up differently -- it's like learning a new social language. Also, a lot of the friends I made when I first moved up here moved away, so it's been iffy anyway.
    Yes, I hope when I am more accepting of myself, I can find likeminded people. Also, hopefully I can start talking to my sister again, when she is in a better headspace, as well. She was my best friend, but I realized in recovery that she was literally killing me, because she was so sick too. I am trying to get stronger, mentally, so that I can be there for her and my nephews/niece again.

I read your latest entry, too, by the way. I just wanted to know if you've ever tried the leptin reset kind of breakfast? I don't do it exactly the way it says to do it, buuuut I do try to make my first meal really protein-y (like 40-50g) and it makes my energy tremendous! I know that you said you did horribly on very low carb, so I'm not suggesting that. All's I'm sayin' is that maybe your first meal could be protein-centric, and then the rest of your meals throughout the day can be carby, or whatever you like. I know you're trying to listen to your body and eat what it craves, though. Just a thought
    One last thing! is, I was feeling awful yesterday after getting back from the airport, just horribly drained and everything. I took a huge 3 hour nap yesterday AND went to bed early. Do you think your crash could have just been from traveling? It always wears me out!
    It's good you feel positive about making new friends - that's the most important thing imo You've mentioned your sister before - did you say she's addicted to pills? How's she doing these days?

Thanks for the suggestions... I think you're right about the protein breakfast - in my experience too it sets you up way better for the day. In relation to the travel - I hear what you're saying. Whenever I crash it's always after some kind of stress.

But - it feels innately wrong that I am so pathetically delicate. I shouldn't be crashing this often... it's not how a healthy organism operates. So I'm always trying to find the solution. And - in my research last night I actually found something revelationary!! Big part of the puzzle coming this way soon!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-11-2013 at 12:47 PM.

- Ray Peat

E.M.T.W.L

Entry Twenty-Six: Piecing a Jigsaw

After yesterday's entry, Zach directed me to a Matt Stone article on body temperature. Nested within it was a gem of a find. This amazing book by a guy called Steve Richfield, on the phenomenon of low body temp. I devoured it last night, and began re-reading today. I haven't figured it all out, but in this entry I'll attempt to break down what I learned.

Low Body Temp:
    When a person's body temp is low (which mine is), they release adrenaline because this hormone raises body temp. People who are stuck at low body temperature use excessive amounts of adrenaline just to keep going. When you run out, your temperature drops. And you crash.

In Richfield's words:

In a couple of minutes you go from OK to shivering with every coat you own on and with every blanket you own over them. You fight to keep from falling asleep... You crash.
    Flashback: This was me yesterday!!!

Being underslept drops your body temp. Since my body temp is always low, I'm always running off adrenaline, and yesterday it all caught up on me, and I crashed.

Considering Richfield described word-for-word what I had written in my entry yesterday, reading that book felt pretty serendipitous.

Before I go further:

If you're interested in body temp you should really check out Wilsons Temperature Syndrome. A lot of the time when people suspect they are hypothyroid but their bloods come back negative, they actually have this. It's a great site with tons of info.

Sleep:
    I started implementing the suggestions in the book immediately.

I put on way more bed clothes than I usually do. Leggings, PJ bottoms, two pairs of socks, a t-shirt, a long sleeved t-shirt, a jumper (that's a sweatshirt to the Yanks ), and my dressing gown (American: robe). I always sleep under two duvets, and last night I slept with them over my head.

I slept from 11pm - 7.15 am. More than eight hours! I think through the course of this journal that's only happened two or three times.

Body temp drops at night. If my temp is already low, then my body has to produce more adrenaline to keep my temp up. This stops me from turning into a corpse, but it's likely the adrenaline is also effecting my sleep: making it fitful, or too short. Keeping very warm meant that I wasn't dumping adrenaline, and could sleep soundly. Which I did!

Imagine if my chronic insomnia was caused my low body temp.

I probably shouldn't even be writing this with only one night's sleep to use as evidence! Only time will tell how significant a piece of the puzzle this is.

The only other thing that could attribute to the good sleep was that I ate a ton of honey yesterday late avo. Sugar always helps me sleep. I wonder if it's cos' it raises body temp?

And that's not all...

Digestion:
    I've mentioned a few times that I have IBS-A, though these days it's predominantly IBS-C.

Steve says:

When your adrenaline levels go up, your vagal system must usually also gear up...
    You defecate when your vagal system is inactive, so if you are perpetually constipated, you can presume that your vagal system is ALWAYS pretty active. If you have no schedule and defecate small amounts several times a day, then your vagal system is probably pretty much shut down.
    So, low body temp => more adrenaline => activates vagal system => makes you constipated.
    And conversely, your bowels jump into action when your temperature is up.

Sorry if this is TMI, but usually when I get up first thing is I pee, and I often don't 'go' until much later in the morning. This morning I got up and 'went' straight away! I literally don't remember that ever happening before. Is this what it's like for normal, warm blooded folk?!

And there's more...

Temperature:
    Upon waking: 36C (96.8F)! Okay, that's still way too low, but it's higher than it's been before
    Upon Richfield's recommendation, I took my temp a few times more throughout the day:

Sitting at my desk: 35.8C (96.44F)
    Walking around: 36.3C (97.34F)
    Right after a strong yoga practice: barely 35.5C (95.9F)!

The last one is weird. When I exercise I get really hot in the face, really red, and sweat a lot. I feel really hot. So how could my body temp be so low then?

The theory I developed over the last few weeks is that my body temp is 'set' low, and therefore my body fights to maintain it by sending all the hot blood to the surface of my skin, and sweating. This keeps my core cold, but makes me feel like I'm in a firey furnace. Considering my "after exercise temp was so low, this theory now actually makes sense.

I didn't take my temp in the avo, but I wore a lot of layers and was walking around a lot, so I felt pretty warm.

And one last thing...

Energy and Mood:
    Yesterday, when I crashed, my mood also crashed. I felt low. I don't recall any time that crashing made me feel particularly exuberant (!) but I always attributed the low feeling to the psychological burden of not having the energy to do what I want. Then in Steve's book I read:
    Dr. Wilson has noted that raising daytime body temperatures often causes a dramatic improvement in cases of depression. Indeed, many psychiatrists now also prescribe Cytomel when they prescribe antidepressants, to raise their patient's temperatures a little to also raise their spirits. Of course, if they just raised their patient's temperatures all the way to 98.6oF, then they probably wouldn't even need the antidepressants.
    It might explain why I feel so much happier in warmer climates, and why I was in such good form last fortnight in my parents (very warm) house. Maybe people don't get SAD. Maybe the low mood that characterises winter is due to low body temp?

I have to say as well - today I had lots of energy, and I felt really happy. Same way I've been feeling for a lot of the last two weeks, really.

Anyway, that's it with the Richfield worship. I recommend reading the book, needless to say

Betenin HCl:
    Took today with a very high fat, high protein brunch. I still didn't feel anything after six pills! Guess I'll take seven tomorrow...

Body:
    Skin-wise: looking better by the day! Really glowing.
    Fatness-wise: I think I was retaining a lot of fluid yest, cos' today my face and tummy were more normal.

Food:
    Screen Shot 2013-04-11 at 22.08.15.jpg

Brunch: 11.30am, Coconut fat, fish
    Snack: 3.30pm, Strawberries
    Snack: 5pm, coconut flesh
    Snack: 7.30pm, Strawberries, creme fraiche

The lowest cal day I've had in a month! By a lot.

My hunger was weird. In the morning felt hungry, but had no appetite. AFter I ate I felt great. Then in the avo I ate some strawberries, and it was the same thing: the more I ate, the hungrier I got. Then I had some coconut and still felt hungry. But by the time I got home in the evening I'd lost my appetite. Hmm.

I've been thinking about the link between eating and low body temp. I know for a fact that a lot of the time when I eat and drink, it's for warmth and energy. I'm going to observe this for the next while, and see if I can differentiate between hunger and appetite. As I said earlier, I was pretty warm today.

And at the end of the day:
    Think I've probably said enough!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-13-2013 at 03:06 AM.

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    So much to be excited about! I have lots to say later, when I have a bit more time but wanted to say I'm so happy that you seem to have found a lot of answers!

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Wow, what a difference a little bit of hope makes, huh?! Sounds like you're onto something - can't wait to hear more about it. I have some thoughts/experiences on the subject and I'd love to see if you or any of your adoring fans here can help me figure out how to make sense of it. It's one of those "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" thought processes I have yet to sort out. Hypothyroidism, Cytomel, cold fingers and toes... oh my!

In the meantime, good for you! Enjoy the a-ha moment!

Off to work, hope you are all having a great one!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson