Page 174 of 244 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 174

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Ha - you got it all wrong - philosophical conversations are my favourite I find it interesting that you said "accomplished". It makes it sound like you had a list of things you thought you needed to make you happy. SO many people have them. And the irony is that they are the surest way towards unhappiness - living life by a set of criteria you somehow came to believe was correct.
    Yeah, I had that criteria of what I needed to accomplish (not that I have it all made, but...). Being a young single mom for a while gave me that extra incentive. Keeping good, steady job; being surrounded by the right kind of people; having a healthy and reasonably happy life; being spiritual etc. etc. Honestly though, I can't exactly describe it, but I thought it would be somehow different. Maybe I want too much out of life, idk.

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Oh Gray, you look beautiful! You really do!
    Thanks Di, although this kind of stuff is always subjective, isn't it? I see very unattractive in my opinion women who consider themselves to be the most beautiful things to have ever graced the Earth, and it totally throws me off. I don't get it.
    I really, really try to give my appearance less importance these days. I've been obsessing with it for too long, and this obsession made me unhealthy. I prefer to focus my energy on other, more important things. I know I'm not that virtuous yet, but I'm working on it. And seeing myself as okay looking, takes some of the pressure off.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Hey, hey, I'm a bit behind since I've been away from the forum for the past 3 days. But I'm baaaack!

It's great that you're feeling so positive! I've never been able to look at my life and conclude that it's a good life. But I also like to wallow in misery so there goes.

There's no freaking way that you're either at 27% body fat or borderline overweight. Please. Those handheld devices aren't accurate at all. Plus, if you ate anything or drank any fluids within 2 hours of the measurement, it will be even more inaccurate! I had a free PT session at my globo gym the weekend before last, and the guy measured my bodyfat with one of those handheld devices and it showed 27.8%. I know that even I don't have that much body fat. Haha! And he proceeded to tell me that 27.8% was in the poor range, which isn't really even true. When I had my bod pod measurement done at the university, the chart they gave me said that 23-30% was moderately lean. It doesn't get to poor until you're above 30%. Anyway, he made me sound like I was overweight as well and desperately needed his help to get in shape.

Anyway, those PTs are just trying to sell you personal training sessions and that's why he told you that you're fat or whatever. If he said that you were perfect, you'd be less likely to buy sessions from him. The PT I had even criticized the 5-3-1 protocol that my crossfit coach uses for most of our lifts. He said that that protocol bulks you up but that the muscle mass you gain isn't lean muscle. He was just talking out of his ass--what a retard! Even I know that fewer reps + heavier weight = less bulk.

From your pictures, I'd say you're around 20-22%. I think you look great--very lean and fit. Don't listen to PTs at globo gyms, and don't buy personal training sessions from them. They usually don't know anything, and they're so brainwashed by conventional wisdom that it's just depressing.
    Welcome back!

Most of that positivity is real, some of it is "fake it til you make it". I don't make good money very often! And I don't believe I look good. But those negative thoughts don't serve me, so I'm just going to bundle all my wishes with my gratitude and see what happens

Thanks so much for the insight about the PT etc. He kind of annoyed me because he just talked AT me - I knew a lot more about weight lifting and how muscles work than he gave me credit for, but hey, he knew how to lift weights so...

I would say I'm honestly about 23%, which is... whatever. P

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Yeah, I had that criteria of what I needed to accomplish (not that I have it all made, but...). Being a young single mom for a while gave me that extra incentive. Keeping good, steady job; being surrounded by the right kind of people; having a healthy and reasonably happy life; being spiritual etc. etc. Honestly though, I can't exactly describe it, but I thought it would be somehow different. Maybe I want too much out of life, idk.

Thanks Di, although this kind of stuff is always subjective, isn't it? I see very unattractive in my opinion women who consider themselves to be the most beautiful things to have ever graced the Earth, and it totally throws me off. I don't get it.
    I really, really try to give my appearance less importance these days. I've been obsessing with it for too long, and this obsession made me unhealthy. I prefer to focus my energy on other, more important things. I know I'm not that virtuous yet, but I'm working on it. And seeing myself as okay looking, takes some of the pressure off.
    I'm going to reply to that in your journal, but I wanted to second Di when I say that you're totally beautiful! And you're TINY! But most importantly, you're beautiful inside.

One of my favourite quotes ever:

"One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

- Antoine de Saint Exupery.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Time for RePeat

Slept a lot better last night

New Exercise regime:
    Monday: Lift heavy
    Tuesday: Swimming.
    Wednesday: Lift heavy.
    Thursday: Yoga (intense)
    Friday: Swimming.
    Saturday: Dance Aerobics.
    Sunday: Lift heavy, Yoga (intense).

Tweaking my new exercise regime a bit more... Not sure what lifting protocol to start... The PT suggested I do four sets of 12 reps. So I might start tomorrow with DL, squat, clean and jerk, bench press, then go for a swim.

Today I swam 24 lengths (792 metres / .49 miles). 10 fast lengths (five breast, five FC) (I realised that I can still do cardio if I swim, and it's actually way better than cardio-cardio, because I'm improving lung capacity and not stressing my joints!) then did the rest at a moderate pace. Got into a really meditative zone - was so nice. This is definitely a stress-free exercise for me.

Diet
    - OJ mixed with gelatine as one meal a day, a few days a week.
    - Carrot salad every day.
    - Teaspoon of coconut oil.
    - At least 3 gelatine envelopes.
    - Less Fruit, more sugar.
    - More animal Vit A: liver, crab, oysters.

Still haven't done the OJ with gelatine. Idk... OJ just doesn't appeal to me that much. Also, the carrot salad isn't agreeing with me again. I've noticed that since I've started it my BMs have become more sluggish... and I don't digest the fibre (won't say anything more about that ) It's a pity because I love the taste. I'll try it a few more times and see what happens.

Today I didn't implement any of my intended things anyway Had homemade lemonade, and berry juice, a honey dew melon, a tin of fish roe, a few coffees with gelatine, and a few pieces of edam. Wasn't very hungry.

Sups:
    - Progesterone oil three times a day, and Vitex twice a day.
    - Vit D.
    - Aspirin after each workout
    - Baking soda in OJ before, during, after a workout

Was lax with the progesterone (only took it twice) and Vitex (only took it once).
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-03-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I don't know how Peat feels about this, but what about pureed cooked carrots?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks PM Good to see you back on the forum! I'm so sorry - I just realised I didn't reply to the last email! How are things going with you and your treatment?
    I'm probably still not going to be around much, the break has been way too healthy for me I do miss checking up on how you are doing but then it can lead me down ways of thinking that I'm just barely getting away from, so I stay away...

Overall treatment is going well but no weight loss. I keep having to change things up but I think it is close to being pretty good. I don't know why I can't lose a single pound though, it is driving me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I don't know how Peat feels about this, but what about pureed cooked carrots?
    Thanks for the suggestion! It inspired me to read more into it, and now I understand where I've been going wrong with the carrot salad... too many carrots!!! Peat recommends that less is more.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I'm probably still not going to be around much, the break has been way too healthy for me I do miss checking up on how you are doing but then it can lead me down ways of thinking that I'm just barely getting away from, so I stay away...

Overall treatment is going well but no weight loss. I keep having to change things up but I think it is close to being pretty good. I don't know why I can't lose a single pound though, it is driving me crazy!
    Ah, well you've been missed! But I understand needing to bow out. Seems like most people do eventually.

I hear you! I'm losing now, and I think it's all diet really. Giving up starches and switching my main foods I eat has given me much better appetite control. How is your energy?

- Ray Peat

Had such a shitty night's sleep last night. Fell asleep at 12.30, woke at 2.30, and couldn't get back to sleep! I drank two raspberry teas with gelatine and honey, but nothing. Than at 5am I realised the problem: I was starving. It was so weird - I hadn't noticed the physical feeling of hunger. Ate a load of Edam and two oranges and conked out until 10am, when I had to get up for work. Felt like shit. Totally exhausted. But it was tiredness, as opposed to "no energy".

I'm still getting night sweats... And yesterday I lost a lot of hair

Missed breakfast (didn't even have a coffee), then was ravenous by lunchtime. Had 600gs cottage cheese, and 200gs mixed shell fish (calamari, prawns, mussels). Took a nap, then had a galia melon and a coffee with milk and gelatine when I woke up at 3.30. Now it's nearly 8pm and I'm not hungry for dinner...

My body hate is pretty high right now. I keep remembering the PT pinching the fat on my arms and saying "What's that? That's not muscle!" It's not helped by London being a particularly skinny city, where most women are about 18% bf. I feel gross. And I feel so frustrated too, that this weight loss is taking so foooking long! At least I've given up the aerobic style exercises in favour, and my appetite seems to have diminished again. We'll see what happens.

In more pleasant news, I planned to lift and swim today but it seems like every five days my body needs a rest, so I just walked and cycled a bit, and did body weight exercises. Crow, push ups, plank, handstands. I've made huge progress on my Crow (planche) - can hold it for ages! Also much closer to a handstand. Then I did lots of movement-based exercise and hula hooping - really enjoying this video:

Fuck - forgot to take Vitex or aspirin. Darr.

God, this is a rambling entry, buuut -

On a personal level:

Need to find some work. I just finished a HUGE project and I'm not sure what direction to go in next. I'm pretty low on money right now and I need a couple of well paid jobs to get me back on track, but not sure how to get them. Normally they just come to me. Hey, Universe...

I don't know if I'm going to move after all. In some ways I've got a really sweet deal here - it's spacious, affordable, and in an amazing area. I'm not keen on my housemates but they're okay... And I just figure that if I move in with more strangers there's no guarantee that they'll be any better. I spoke to Yoga guy about it yesterday and he thought I was mad to want to move out of such a place.

Speaking of yoga guy. I've been kind of quiet on that front, but things are going really well. We're taking it really slowly and just spending time together. I know I said my body hate is pretty high right now, but being with him definitely helps a lot because he's always telling me I'm beautiful. He's a curves guy too, so that's something
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-04-2013 at 12:25 PM.

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Aaw, sorry to hear about the body hate
    If you ever came to any of the Southern states, the deep fried and all kinds of other crappy foods mecca of the world, as thin and taut you are, you would stand out as a minority.
    I really understand how things are in Europe in that regard. People will speak their minds, too. A lot of pressure on being thin. In the poorer countries there is a lot of emphasis on that too.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    It's not just me, right? I kind of want to punch your PT in the face. That (basically telling you you're fat, especially in that way) seems really inappropriate to me.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Zach is offline Banned
    Your gettin too relaxed and letting yourself skip meals and your not taking your supps consistently. I can see why your getting stressed and not feeling as good.