Page 16 of 244 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 16

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    “Like most humans, I am hungry...our three basic needs, for food and security and love, are so mixed and mingled and entwined that we cannot straightly think of one without the others. So it happens that when I write of hunger, I am really writing about love and the hunger for it...”
    ― M.F.K. Fisher, The Gastronomical Me (M.F.K. Fisher Quotes (Author of The Art of Eating))

I thought this would speak to you.
    That's beautiful... wow. Thank you Badger! Have you read any of her stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I dont think the heart pounding and night sweats are stress hormones unless are they cold sweats. Its actually sounds like you might have ate too much, too close to bed. I do think heavier/warm food should be consumed early and light/cold food closer to bedtime. If thats not the case then it may be adrenalin but i dont see any reason for it to be happening.

Secondly, why are you so hard on yourself? Its such a strange thing to fight against yourself or your body. You are one and should always have unconditional love for yourself.
    I don't think it's from eating too late... During my binging phases I would actually have the best sleeps - particularly if I ate right before bed! I'm also waking up to pee... I think you said before that might be adreneline? I'm pretty sure my hormones are totally jacked to be honest...

And yeah... I know it's unnatural to hate yourself. Deep conditioning which I still haven't let go of! Writing about it helps I think... at least I'm bringing it into conscious awareness.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-25-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Yes waking up to urinate is a sign. When you feel the urge to go does it feel like someones squeezing your bladder? Is it a lot of fluid or only a little? Are the sweats cold, clammy hands/feet?

A heavy heartbeat is not really a sign of stress, racing would be more accurate. Heavy would usually mean an excess of sodium. Heart Palps could be a number of things as well.

Your right it could be stress and for some people a big meal, dry and salty with not a lot of protein would work best in that situation.

Yes waking up to urinate is a sign. When you feel the urge to go does it feel like someones squeezing your bladder? Is it a lot of fluid or only a little? Are the sweats cold, clammy hands/feet?

A heavy heartbeat is not really a sign of stress, racing would be more accurate. Heavy would usually mean an excess of sodium. Heart Palps could be a number of things as well.

Your right it could be stress and for some people a big meal, dry and salty with not a lot of protein would work best in that situation.
    My heart used to race when I woke up in the middle of the night... this is different. The sweats are hot. Hopefully when I look back over the journal I might discover a pattern.

The waking up has actually only happened twice... No pain or anything, but yeah lots of fluid. In general it seems like I am peeing way more than I am drinking... Ha, sorry for all the info! You're going straight to heaven Zach..
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

E.M.T.W.L

Entry Twenty-Five: Burn, baby, Burn

Today was a "hungry, thirsty, peeing-non-stop" day

Sleep:
    12.15am - 4.30am. More night sweats. Crap, restless sleep, and way too short, but I was catching a flight and I never sleep well before travelling. Pity I travel all the time :P

Digestion:
    Fine.

Skin:
    Dehydrated today. A lot of facial flushing. I'm noticing as well that the last few days when I put moisturiser on my body it literally absorbs in a few minutes. Weird. Seems like every cell in my body is crying out for water. Makes sense if I'm peeing it all out! And yet I'm really bloated... Or maybe it's fat, ha

Food:

Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 22.38.12.jpg
    Breakfast: 5am, Curry, rice, yogurt.
    Snack: 11am, Orange, two bananas, persimmon, few bites of meat loaf.
    Lunch: 4pm: Meatloaf, potato, lots of creme fraiche.
    Snack: Nothing! Didn't eat again!

Had a weird experience as I was eating lunch earlier. The more I ate, the hungrier I became.

Now, I've been thinking a lot about hunger since I started this process because my hunger doesn't make sense to me. It's all over the place. I'm going with it, "listening to my body", but today, when eating made me hungrier, I started to wonder if I'm doing the right thing.

So I did what anyone would do. I googled: "The more I eat, the hungrier I become". And I wasn't the first one to search it! Not by a long shot.

A little bit about Stomach Acid:
    No articles came up, but a few forums did. This was the best series of responses I found:

Hungry after eating
    Link to site

I have this weird thing that happens after I eat. I'm not that hungry when I start eating, and then I eat a full meal and end up feeling hungrier than I started. The meal is balanced with protein, fat, and carb. I'm not going very long between meals 4-5 hours. Does this happen to anyone else? It's so freaky and confusing. Once I start eating it's like I never want to stop!
    Yes, I experience this. I feel hungry all the time, and hungrier right after eating. It's acid reflux/GERD. This is pain in the stomach and lower esophagus, caused by acid, which is relayed to the brain by the same nerves that carry hunger pangs. So, I feel as if I am starving to death. The big clue is, I feel MORE hunger pangs right after eating, which is when my stomach is releasing acid to digest the food.
    Finally -- it's not just me! If I ask a lot of my friends, they don't even know what hunger pangs are -- they just have a feeling or knowing they should eat something. My upper GI was negative for reflux, but I've always had what I would call "heartburn." I take Prilosec daily for this, but still have horrible hunger pangs, even after eating a regular balanced meal. In fact, it seems, the more balanced, the worse the pangs. But what I've found is that they go away when I take an SSRI antidepressant, such as Prozac or Celexa, etc. Currently, because I don't want to take those meds, I am experimenting with 5-HTP supplmentation using a product from Craniyums (available from a web search; I am not a paid endorser and have no relationship with them, other than as a consumer). As long as I take the supps., I don't have the hunger pang problem.
    For ages now I've suspected I had low stomach acid. From the age of 27 I started getting terrible reflux from big alcohol binges. I would eat and eat and eat to try and get rid of it, but it just made it worse. Then there were loads of other symptoms that I discussed a few pages back.

What if the hunger was related to low stomach acid?

I also found it interesting that the last poster found her hunger dissipated when she took SSRIs and 5-HTP. 5-HTP increases Serotonin production. Serotonin is produced in the gut.

A while ago one of the other forums members, posted a very interesting thread about food addictions and its possible connection to leaky gut. Unfortunately the thread didn't get much mileage but I found it fascinating and I still think about it. The OP had a lot of similar issues to me, and went on a similar eating plan to what I'm doing, with great success. Here's the thread: https://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread75466.html

These are half baked thoughts emerging from glimpses of insight.

At any rate, I've got my BHCl tablets now! I took two of them today at 4pm. No burn (baby), but they did make me feel a bit funny. I felt a stimulation in my thyroid right after I took them, which hasn't abated (Low stomach acid can impair thyroid function). And... as I said, today was a hungry day, and normally I keep going all day, but I since I took the tablets I havent eaten again... Placebo? I don't actually think so.

Now that I've got the pills, let's see what happens.

And at the end of the day:
    I'm feeling pretty good! London hasn't been as brutal as I feared. I taught Yoga today and I didn't feel like a "fat yoga teacher".

I am the master of layers
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-13-2013 at 03:02 AM.

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    My heart used to race when I woke up in the middle of the night... this is different. The sweats are hot. Hopefully when I look back over the journal I might discover a pattern.

The waking up has actually only happened twice... No pain or anything, but yeah lots of fluid. In general it seems like I am peeing way more than I am drinking... Ha, sorry for all the info! You're going straight to heaven Zach..
    Yea the sweats, heavy beat and lots of urine dont sound like the typical adrenalin/cortisol spikes. Might have something to do with certain foods. I guess only way it to keep documenting until you find a pattern.

I also think you are spot on with your low stomach acid and its effects. Like i said, i had immediate results from HCl.

EDIT: Yes i agree with Cierra that it sounds more like hyperthyroid/hypermetabolic symptoms brought on by over consumption. You are still too all over the place though to really see a pattern.
    Last edited by Zach; 04-09-2013 at 05:48 PM.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    More with the thyroid stimulation, that is just so interesting. I hope that is a great sign for you that it is coming back to health.

I'm glad you felt good about your yoga class. I was curious how that was going to feel

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    That's beautiful... wow. Thank you Badger! Have you read any of her stuff?
    I have only read quotations from her writing, but certainly her books are on my (incredibly long for I am greedy in all things) Amazon wishlist.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Hey! I'm back from vacation! It's good to read that you're feeling positive and researching why you feel the way that you do instead of just assuming that your body is odd, like I do. That's so funny that you mentioned that you feel hungry right after eating, because I feel that way, sometimes, too! I used to be able to only eat a tiny bit of food and feel beyond stuffed, but now I can demolish a man-size plate of food and still be looking around for more, picking at my boyfriend's plate, lol. I'll have to look into that 5-HTP stuff, and see what's going on.
    Glad to have you back!

Yeah, I research (and analyse) a lot! Life, people, the body, the soul are mysteries, and I believe that understanding them will only help.

EDIT:
    I came across this quote earlier, and I thought it was really relevant to what we're talking about:

“The understanding will melt the addiction. And you will be free... Then you will discover what reality is... Cause we will have dropped one of our biggest illusions. The illusion that we need to be appreciated, to be popular, to succeed, to have prestige and honor and power and popularity. There is only one need and that need is to be real and that need is to love. When one discovers that, one is transformed. Once life becomes prayer.”
    - Anthony de Mello
    Nice, huh?

Don't rush into 5HTP supplementation - too much serotonin is not a good thing. Too little can lead to depression, too much leads to anxiety and high levels have been associated with people who have anorexia. (Which would support what that woman was saying about the effect of 5HTP and SSRIs on her appetite!)

Thanks for the insight into hympermetaboism... I do have those symtoms, but wouldn't I be losing weight if I was hypermetabolic?

I also wanted to thank you for reaching out to me and showing concern when I was away! it really touched me and made me feel special. To be honest (and this is sad) I didn't tell any of my friends I was going on vacation, and none of them even wondered where I was! One of the jerks even moved away while I was on vacation and just called really quickly to say goodbye! Awful. But, I'm still gaining my life and friends back, as I am gaining my strength and body back. Restriction can take away everything in your life, not just your health. I am glad that you're taking the opposite path and nourishing yourself, it really is the best thing you can do right now.
    Don't mention it I was glad that you were okay.

I'm sorry to hear about the friend thing. Do you think these people are true friends? Sometimes if people don't believe they deserve the best, they end up attracting those who don't give them the best. Like attracts like.

When I went home I realised how bad my home environment in London is. I'm living with three really depressed people: all addicts in their own way. Don;t get me wrong: they're absolutely lovely, but they are really draining and there's such a negative energy sometimes. Being away also made me think a lot about some of my friends and how they demand a lot and then judge and criticise me for thinking differently to them. They aren't interested in expanding their horizons, and they judge me for doing so. Saying that, those friends are in the minority: I'm getting better at recognising people I can connect with on multiple levels.

Anyway, my point is that as you grow in love for yourself you'll probably start meeting people who are more like-minded than previous friends. Or you may find that old friends come back into your life, with renewed energy. Like attracts like

602214_10151598775550482_536370913_n.jpg
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-10-2013 at 10:31 AM.

- Ray Peat

Yea the sweats, heavy beat and lots of urine dont sound like the typical adrenalin/cortisol spikes. Might have something to do with certain foods. I guess only way it to keep documenting until you find a pattern.

I also think you are spot on with your low stomach acid and its effects. Like i said, i had immediate results from HCl.

EDIT: Yes i agree with Cierra that it sounds more like hyperthyroid/hypermetabolic symptoms brought on by over consumption. You are still too all over the place though to really see a pattern.
    If it were hypermetabolism though, wouldn't I be losing weight? Also, my body temp has not budged... took it this morning after a two week hiatus and it was 96.26F.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    More with the thyroid stimulation, that is just so interesting. I hope that is a great sign for you that it is coming back to health.

I'm glad you felt good about your yoga class. I was curious how that was going to feel
    The secret is leggings and long, baggy tops

- Ray Peat