Page 159 of 244 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 159

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Spk, ill let YB comment on your questions, i just wanted to say that you are right about Peat. Mostly everything that makes up a Peat diet is pieced together from his articles and interviews. He would actually probably disprove of most things people say and do in his name. Its kind of a strange phenomena since he is not a internet guru compared to other big names but somehow he has become wildly popular without real promoting or advertising. Just goes to show how smart he is and how well his ideas work when put into practice.
    pls Zach, comment on my questions! I went looking for your journal but then:

-hesitated because I'm not sure if it's 'protocol' to ask ??'s in journals
    -then got pissed because you now have me singing Big Rock Candy, you bastard.

Zach is offline Banned

Bloat has been quite the problem around here with Pretty much our whole goon squad, minus Derp and I. It also seems to be different for everyone. So without all your info it aould be hard to say whats going on exactly. A few things that seem to help in eliminating of fiber, starch and sometimes excess fruit and dairy. For the fruit and dairy, usally its just a matter of building up your tolerance for them after a long time of avoidence. For the former two its because usually after a stint on paleo the metabolism is slowed down as is the digestive system so transit time slows and atarch/fiber fermenta and produces a ton of gas.

spk
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post

For the fruit and dairy, usally its just a matter of building up your tolerance for them after a long time of avoidence.
    ^this. Instinctually I've suspected this. But that gouda tastes so good and cheese was a mainstay when I was a vegetarian so it's hard to moderate.

PS Yogabare - no worries; I won't park here and use as a Q & A spot––certainly interested in your take/experience.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    doing well here. insanely busy. it's a funny month to be THIS busy, but I am.
    Hey Zoe! Good to hear things are good. I went to an amazing Yoga class tonight and thought of you!

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    hi YB -

I've been reading your posts here and am only about 1/3 of way thru. I'm here because other Peat-ish ( I say -ish because so few actually stay on-theme so that any real info can be derived! ) threads have been difficult to keep up w/. You know what I mean?

But from your perspective, did you have any bloat w/ your introduction of Peat methods and if so what did you attribute it to?

I can't fully comprehend the context of Peat because so far, it all seems like theories pieced together from individuals n=1. And although I've had great success w/ Primal, it stopped working in some upsetting, noticeable ways and I'm trying to find the fine-tune, the next step. Can't tell if my baby steps of including a little OJ & cheese could be contributors to this damn bloat....

thoughts appreciated and enjoying your posts immensely!
    Hey SPK,

Welcome I'm probably the wrong person to ask about bloating, because it's been a lifelong issue for me. I have IBS-CD as well, and no diet seems to help it.

I'll try to help you out though, but tell me more stuff. Is bloating not a normal thing for you? How have you modified your diet? And how has Primal "stopped working for you"? (what version of Primal were you doing?)

I think if you want to read about Peat on MDA, the "Moar Peat" thread is probably a good one to start with. THe Danny Roddy thread is great, but you've got to contend with all the bickering
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Yogabare - no worries; I won't park here and use as a Q & A spot––certainly interested in your take/experience.
    Whatever you like, lady Happy to help if I can.

HULA!

A combination of seeing a woman with a 16" waist (induced by a corset), and Di telling me she used to hula prompted my most recent fad. My hula hoop arrived in the mail today, and I discovered I have a secret talent - I can seriously HULA! Idk, I find it really easy, and it's so much fun! I'm already regretting not getting a smaller hoop as I think I need more of a challenge.

We'll see what this does for the waist loss...

Food and Le Chocolat

Today I had cravings for chocolate for the first time since starting a Peat-esque diet. I was a bit nervous cos usually I have to scoff a whole bar before I'm satiated, but I bought it anyway. And, the weirdest thing. I was completely satiated after a third of the bar! There was no "you've got to put this down now". It was just the perfect amount, and I was done.

My appetite on this woe is still tiny. I'm struggling to get 1,500 cals now. It's really strange, but I feel like this is how I used to eat as a kid... just completely instinctual. Hunger doesn't feel like hunger, if that makes sense. I don't panic if I feel a twang in my belly on this woe. I can't explain it, but it's really, really weird. And welcome!!! I'm just glad that Gray and the Bat are getting it too, so I know it must be something to do with the diet. Maybe eating high carb from sugar and fruit has actually catapulted us into "fat-burning mode".

Memo:

Add Brewer's Yeast to "The list of the things that make me look pregnant".
    Last edited by YogaBare; 08-08-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Future Fad list:

Coming soon to "This is not a lobe song"

- Dermarolling
    - Red Light Therapy
    - Facial exercises (seriously. The wrinkles have to go )
    - Tackling digestive issues. OJ? Have to find a good store bought one.
    - Source better quality dairy.

TBC...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 08-09-2013 at 12:22 AM.

- Ray Peat

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Future Fad list:

Coming soon to "This is not a lobe song"

- Dermarolling
    - Red Light Therapy
    - Facial exercises (seriously. The wrinkles have to go )
    - Tackling digestive issues. OJ? Have to find a good store bought one.
    - Source better quality dairy.

TBC...
    If you are still in the UK, I've just bought this: Derma-Rollers.com (55, normally 80. Cheaper versions are around half that price but are not certified. You don't need a roller with more than 200 needles, I've seem some on ebay with 500!!!)

It's certified medical grade and sterilised by UV. I believe they are also used by the NHS and were featured on 'Embarrassing Bodies' a few years ago. (youtube)

I use the 0.5mm which is the minimum to stimulate collagen, anything more isn't really necessary and will be a little painful (longer needles are used for deep scarring and it's not advisable to go above 1mm for home usage).

I've used it twice and I really like the way it feels. Obviously it's going to take at least 1 month for the skin to "change" but after so many lotions and potions that have never helped me, I think this might actually do something. It's worth a shot, I mean, all those needles have to do something to the skin, right?

diene is offline Senior Member
    Hey, can you hoop in both directions? You know it's weird cuz I learned how to do it as a kid, but I guess it never occurred to me to do it in the other direction. And now I can only do it in one direction. But ideally you want to do both directions to balance out the two sides. :/

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

spk
    hey YB - first, the important stuff. HULA! I've been really wanting to do that for years! Maybe I can find a cheap one at a second hand store.

And thats right, sorry, I had forgotten your mentioned IBS/CD in your posts. Of course, bloating is a hurdle w/ that.

Apologize for the length !! My details:

A number of things drove me to PB, namely migraines, self-diagnosed permeability of the gut and weight gain. Weight loves to jump right onto my belly––live there, build a village, set up shop. I did really well healing my gut (as far as I can tell) by using L-Glutamine powder and this lovely parsley, ginger, garlic, fennel, cabbage juice.

I can say w/ some self awareness, I became one of those PB'ers who took some of the efforts to an extreme but not intentionally. Found the HFLC so satisfying, which made it easy to IF, that when I'd track intake #'s, it was astonishingly low. Not realizing, I'm pretty sure I ignored the signs and lost a lot of muscle. It doesn't help that this dovetailed w/ one of the most stressful periods of my life.

So...lost muscle, tremendous hair loss and can't force enough food down my gullet. The cycle circles around. But then I noticed in evenings I was craving candy on an order bordering an obsession. And I prefer savory over sweets. So this was now officially bonkers. Or as I suspected, my body wanted the simplest, mainlined, straight to the brain form of sugar to make up for low total calories.

I've only just added some small OJ w/ salt daily & the Gouda, out of curiousity. And interestingly, I'm sleeping super deeply. Not waking energized but thru the night, no waking sleep. Last time had hormones done (in Dec/Jan) I had "those of a 15y.o.") But can't afford to have tests again right now.

It's probably too simplistic an explanation that bloating = OJ & Gouda. There are just too many things at play for any one of us. And yes, I've read the MOAR threads, the Roddy and others. Derp and I had a fun mud wrastle over womens rights and I think we came out the other side w/ no broken limbs.

I appreciate yours and the others willingness to share your experiences/info. Take-away for me is that, we don't all have the perfect answer, as humans, we've barely figured out the minimum scientifically and we've a long way to go!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    If you are still in the UK, I've just bought this: Derma-Rollers.com (55, normally 80. Cheaper versions are around half that price but are not certified. You don't need a roller with more than 200 needles, I've seem some on ebay with 500!!!)
    Thanks Nstocks Mine just arrived in the mail today! I bought the .75mm. Are you going to use Copper Peptides too? I wish I'd gotten into skin care when I was your age

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Hey, can you hoop in both directions? You know it's weird cuz I learned how to do it as a kid, but I guess it never occurred to me to do it in the other direction. And now I can only do it in one direction. But ideally you want to do both directions to balance out the two sides. :/
    Yes! Weirdly, I can. What's really weird is that this is my first time hula-ing since I was a kid... and I could never go it back then! I think I must have pretty good core strength...

hey YB - first, the important stuff. HULA! I've been really wanting to do that for years! Maybe I can find a cheap one at a second hand store.

I did really well healing my gut (as far as I can tell) by using L-Glutamine powder and this lovely parsley, ginger, garlic, fennel, cabbage juice.

So...lost muscle, tremendous hair loss and can't force enough food down my gullet. The cycle circles around. But then I noticed in evenings I was craving candy on an order bordering an obsession. And I prefer savory over sweets. So this was now officially bonkers. Or as I suspected, my body wanted the simplest, mainlined, straight to the brain form of sugar to make up for low total calories.

I've only just added some small OJ w/ salt daily & the Gouda, out of curiousity. And interestingly, I'm sleeping super deeply. Not waking energized but thru the night, no waking sleep. Last time had hormones done (in Dec/Jan) I had "those of a 15y.o.") But can't afford to have tests again right now.

It's probably too simplistic an explanation that bloating = OJ & Gouda. There are just too many things at play for any one of us. And yes, I've read the MOAR threads, the Roddy and others. Derp and I had a fun mud wrastle over womens rights and I think we came out the other side w/ no broken limbs.

I appreciate yours and the others willingness to share your experiences/info. Take-away for me is that, we don't all have the perfect answer, as humans, we've barely figured out the minimum scientifically and we've a long way to go!
    Hey SPK

Well, I can explain the cravings for junk food... your body was crying for glucose! When I started eating a balanced diet (with animal protein, and plenty of carbs) my BED disappeared. It began 13 years ago when I turned veggie, but it was the worst it's ever been when I was low carb. The hair loss could be from stress, too few calories, or too few carbs.

Re. the bloating - it could well be coming from the OJ: particularly if you're coming from a VLC background. Are you squeezing the juice yourself and straining it? Or is it store bought? Store bought juice reeks havoc on my gut If you're sleeping better that's an amazing sign though!

Can you tell me how you healed your gut? I'm really curious.

Oh, and if you hula - make sure you get a weighted one that's the right size for you! The unweighted ones are useless, and if you get one that's too small, it's very difficult to learn on.

- Ray Peat