Page 142 of 244 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 142

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Gut issues

UGH. Today makes day three of terrible bloating.

My stomach has been pretty flat since I cut back on milk, but on Thursday I had some OJ, which made my belly swell, and now everything is affecting me. I'm so bloated that I'm finding it difficult to take a proper breath. In addition, I've had the runs pretty much every day for three weeks. Bye-bye IBS-C, hello IBS-D!

I want to get to the bottom of this (no pun intended ) so I don't have to go through my life continually narrowing my range of foods. I don't want to avoid freaking milk!

Potential problems:

1) Gut dysbiosis.

Gut dysbiosis by definition means that pathogenic bacteria and yeast are no longer being kept in check by friendly gut flora. Because of this, increased intestinal permeability or leaky gut is all but a foregone conclusion. The constant inflammation these organisms and their toxic metabolites cause at the level of the gut wall will compromise the barrier function that protects you from the contents of your intestines.
    2) Serotonin
    Mine is midway in the normal range, but according to Ray Peat this is still too high. Serotonin has some connection to gut health.

Serotonin is produced in the enterochromaffin cells (EC) in the intestinal mucosa. Serotonin is produced, and then it bonds with its receptors. These receptors are known as the 5-hydroxytryptomine receptors, or as they will be referred to here on out as 5-HT receptors. Once the serotonin is released, it activates our system to increase intestinal motility. Research has shown that there is an increase in plasma 5-HT during diarrheal diseases, and a decrease in them when constipation is present (Cammilleri, 2009).
    However, because I vacillate between no shits and THE shits, I don't think it's a serotonin issue. I doubt my levels could vacillate that widely?

How it all began
    I'm trying to think of when I first noticed the bloating, and I really think it was the year I started binging, when I was 19. I wonder if that habit damaged my stomach. When I was 20 I used to go for Italian food a lot, and whenever I would go and have pasta with a heavy creamy sauce, I would instantly be crippled with stomach pain, and get the runs. I stopped eating that kind of food, so can't say if it still happens. I spent a lot of time in India, and got pretty bad Delhi Belly.

I'm thinking I might go to a naturopath, get a stool test done, find out exactly what bacteria are present and get a herbal medication for this.

Derp gave J3nn some suggestions for her gut health: activated charcoal, cascara sagrada, and periactin. The charcoal sounds like something I could try, but the cascara sagrada is a laxative (not good when you already have the runs ). The periactin appealed to me cos' Derp said it's anti-estrogenic too, but it's a hay fever sup and seems to have a lot of side effects?

Derp, if you're reading please help me!

Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    I'm not familiar with cupping. Have you tried it before now? I've had lymphatic stuff going on. I used to go to a health store and get on one of those full body vibration machines. It gives more benefit than using a rebounder. Some say it's a gimmick but it always helped with when water retention would get really bad. I want to buy one.
    Interesting - I've never heard of those machines.

I'm not gonna lie to ya - cupping hurts like hell It's meant to be amazing for decongesting the body. It remains to be seen...

This is what happened to me when I got it done a few years ago:

The darker the marks, the more congested your blood is... Or so the theory goes.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    OJ gets to me too. Is it fresh squeezed (by you) or store bought? Someone on a Peat forum commented that their stomach handled fresh squeezed but not store bought and I have noticed the same.

Anyway, I think you should get lab work to see whats going on in your gut. That's what I'm trying to do....
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

diene is offline Senior Member
    Is it possible that you just have some kind of food intolerance that you're not aware of? I know Derp and Zach don't believe in food intolerances, but...

I think getting your gut bacteria tested is a good idea.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Gut issues

Derp gave J3nn some suggestions for her gut health: activated charcoal, cascara sagrada, and periactin. The charcoal sounds like something I could try, but the cascara sagrada is a laxative (not good when you already have the runs ). The periactin appealed to me cos' Derp said it's anti-estrogenic too, but it's a hay fever sup and seems to have a lot of side effects?

Derp, if you're reading please help me!
    Same side effects with all antihistamines. Periactin(cyproheptadine) is low risk, especially in small doses. It would be worthwhile to take a choline supplement with it though.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Monitor symptoms closely if you decide to take activation charcoal. If you are already experiencing problems with constipation it will only back you up further.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    OJ gets to me too. Is it fresh squeezed (by you) or store bought? Someone on a Peat forum commented that their stomach handled fresh squeezed but not store bought and I have noticed the same.

Anyway, I think you should get lab work to see whats going on in your gut. That's what I'm trying to do....
    You know, I actually read on the RP forum that Mr. P said that any kind of OJ is fine, hence I was just buying cheap stuff I couldn't be bothered juicing for one person...

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Is it possible that you just have some kind of food intolerance that you're not aware of? I know Derp and Zach don't believe in food intolerances, but...

I think getting your gut bacteria tested is a good idea.
    That's kind of the approach I've taken thus far, but now I'm thinking that I can't keep cutting out all these foods. I'm basically only eating dairy, fruit and meat now - what else is there?! And it's not even just those food groups, because I don't eat pig or fowl, I stopped eating persimmons cos they bloat me, now OJ, now milk...

Better to find out wtf is wrong with my gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Same side effects with all antihistamines. Periactin(cyproheptadine) is low risk, especially in small doses. It would be worthwhile to take a choline supplement with it though.
    Okay - thanks! I'll see if I can buy it...

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Monitor symptoms closely if you decide to take activation charcoal. If you are already experiencing problems with constipation it will only back you up further.
    This made me LOL. You sound like a constipation manual
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    + 1 on getting your gut bacteria tested. As I might have mentioned (7 thousand times) before

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You know, I actually read on the RP forum that Mr. P said that any kind of OJ is fine, hence I was just buying cheap stuff I couldn't be bothered juicing for one person...
    Well if Peat says it's fine then obviously there's something wrong with YOU I would still experiment and use your own n=1 to decide what's right.

This made me LOL. You sound like a constipation manual
    Activated Charcoal isn't for everyone. Consult your doctor if you have a history of constipation or if you experience any side effects such as headache, nausea, seizures, limb loss, or spontaneous lobotomy- wait, sorry, I was reading from the wrong list. Hold on while I find my notes...

P.S. I've gotten a little ways into Waking the Tiger and I am really enthralled. Just wanted you to know that Let you know what I think when I'm done
    Last edited by ombat; 07-28-2013 at 11:23 AM.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    i use activated charcoal to whiten my teeth and add a little dark to my mascara (which is honey, cacoa powder, and activated charcoal). it works nicely for such things.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    I tried activated charcoal... It's supposed to be good if you have an upset stomach. I don't remember if it helped or not.

I've tried slippery elm bark before. It helps to lubricate the digestive tract. It worked good but I need mag citrate no matter what. That's what I use now. I usually take up to 800 mg at night.