Page 141 of 244 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191241 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 141

diene is offline Senior Member
    My idea for drug rehab is pretty simple. It's for high functioning drug addicts who can't take a couple weeks off to go to in-patient rehab. So people who have jobs or are in school and who function just fine with the drug. But if they were to quit cold turkey, the withdrawal symptoms will render them non-functional. Basically, you wean them off very slowly. It will take months, but there will be minimal withdrawal symptoms and minimal disruption to their lives. This will be coupled with optional therapy. The idea is to make it affordable even for students. Complete anonymity too. I don't even know if this kind of establishment would be legal. Probably not because you basically have to give them drugs for the months during which you're weaning them off. I wouldn't be surprised if it's illegal. The government just likes to make it impossible to get anything done or to help anyone, I mean, truly help them.

As for the nutrition course, I have the same concern as nameless. Will the course be recognized in the U.S.?

Nameless--you said you self-injure, were you a cutter? I was a cutter too for a while. I started cutting before I became bulimic. It started in fifth grade. Sometimes I think I'm some kind of mutant--all of my insanity started at such a young age. Cutting in fifth grade, 10 or 11. Bulimia started the summer after fifth grade--11. When I was an older teen, I'd be so angry sometimes (again, the rage thing) that I couldn't function (i.e., do homework), and the only way I'd calm down was if I cut myself. So cutting was a way for me to calm down and feel better. It was a kind of release. I think I would have preferred to beat someone else up, but that wasn't really an option so I directed the rage at myself instead. There was also something about the pain that was very satisfying. Probably had something to do with the release of endorphins in response to the pain.

I haven't done it for years though. I think the last time was in 2008. (But, in general, I did it very rarely after high school.) However, the most recent time I felt like injuring myself, that was 2 years ago, I just punched a punching bag (one of those hard ones) without gloves on. When I was done my right hand was completely bruised and swollen. That did the trick. Sprinting sort of works too. I think that may be the healthiest option.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Diene, yes, I was a cutter. I started at 15 yrs old, but have spoken to several people for whom it was younger, like you. I tended to be more sad than angry, as I had no energy to blame anyone but myself, if that makes sense. A active outlet like boxing probably would have been very good for me, if someone could have made me stick with it. What you said about calming & the release was very true for me as well. I've spoken with a number of self-injurers over the years, since I ran a Yahoo group for teens dealing with SI. I shut it down this year after it had become inactive for a while and found that very cathartic. I consciously "quit" in 2006, with last relapse in 2008. There have been tempting times since then, but I honestly do not believe it is a viable option for myself as a coping mechanism. I have actually tried talking to people the last several times I've been tempted and that helps get me through the rough moments until the feeling is gone. I never used to talk to anyone about how I was feeling back then.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    How universal is the course? Is that a respected certification if you moved to the US
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    As for the nutrition course, I have the same concern as nameless. Will the course be recognized in the U.S.?
    Apparently it's recognised in "some states"..! Need to ascertain what that means!

I'm really sorry that you both went through those cutting phases. I cut once, when I was 17, but it was actually more a half hearted suicide attempt. I literally cut, realised it hurt too badly and stopped I've had a suicide plan for a long time though; this winter I was the closest I've ever been to carrying it out.

I definitely think we could all do with some rage release! Tomorrow I'm going to Muay Thai Kickboxing.

You know what's weird though? Is that since taking the Duphaston / switching to Ray Peat eating, I've become aware of the rage for the first time. I used to be incapable of getting angry and impassioned - kind of prided myself on it. Every now and again I'd get angry, but most of the time I felt flat, or in anguish, and then would binge / drink / take drugs to anethesise myself. In the last month I've become soooo acutely aware of this inner rage that I'm carrying towards the world. It's strange.

Nameless: I've been for quite a lot of therapy. Plus I've read an inordinate amount of self help books, have spent 8 months in India (which is spiritual self help paradise), and have a psychologist sister I love that I get increasing clarity on things; it's just that the pain is never ending. Well, it does feel like it's getting better these days, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    You may be familiar with the Buddhist proverb: pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.

Ack I squirm thinking about your uncomfortable experience with the Chilean guy. It's so... deflating. But it sounds like something good might be going on with Yoga guy?
    I'm being smart now, but you've heard of the phrase "easier said than done"?

Yeah, it was a pretty shit situation. Obviously a lot worse for him, but I'm still feel bad about it!

Maybe... We'll see. We've been chatting on the phone, and by text. I enjoy his company. We're meeting again on Wednesday...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-25-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I think that awareness is a good thing. Becoming more aware of how I was feeling was definitely huge in getting a handle on overwhelming thoughts and feelings.

Thursday, 25th of July

I'm back to putting dates on my entries Couldn't be bothered thinking of creative titles any more.

Eyesight
    I forgot to tell you, reader: got my eyes tested yesterday, and my vision has improved!! Not by much - by .25 in the right eye, but it hasn't changed in six years, and before that it was deteriorating. I wonder what improved it? 1) Cutting out junk food 2) Cutting out gluten, 3) Starting to eat meat again?

Cupping
    My new fad! This sounds weird, but my legs are really... congested. They bruise really easily, I've developed cellulite, and they always feel tight and cold to the touch. I've been dry brushing for a few months, and it hasn't helped. So, time for cupping! Apparently it helps improve circulation and lymphatic drainage, but it take about three weeks. So far, it's painful But apparently it gets better as your lymphatic system decongests...

Info here: Results of Our Cupping for Cellulite Challenge

Quote of the Day

“The beginning of love is the will to let those we love be perfectly themselves, the resolution not to twist them to fit our own image. If in loving them we do not love what they are, but only their potential likeness to ourselves, then we do not love them: we only love the reflection of ourselves we find in them”

― Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Is this the kind of cupping used an acupuncture? I wrote a paper on the effects of acupuncture in high school and they put heated glass cups on my back (that suctioned on) as part of it. The circles all over my back were hilarious and lasted for days! The acupuncturist also gave me some herbs that my mom put into gelatin capsules for me. They made me have large (but well formed) BMs. I wonder what was in it!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    That's interesting about your slightly improved vision. I need to have mine retested. I feel that I can now see clearer far away.
    I know diet doesn't fix everything, but dropping gluten and nasty oils could be helping a lot.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    My eyesight is clearer too. I mentioned improvement in most of my senses in my journal. The eyesight is probably just vitamin a from quality sources.
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Is this the kind of cupping used an acupuncture? I wrote a paper on the effects of acupuncture in high school and they put heated glass cups on my back (that suctioned on) as part of it. The circles all over my back were hilarious and lasted for days! The acupuncturist also gave me some herbs that my mom put into gelatin capsules for me. They made me have large (but well formed) BMs. I wonder what was in it!
    Yup, cupping is from Chinese Medicine I've studied TCM a bit, and there are so many similarities between its approach and Peat's! I'm skeptical of its modern-day practice though. A lot of charlatans out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    That's interesting about your slightly improved vision. I need to have mine retested. I feel that I can now see clearer far away.
    I know diet doesn't fix everything, but dropping gluten and nasty oils could be helping a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    My eyesight is clearer too. I mentioned improvement in most of my senses in my journal. The eyesight is probably just vitamin a from quality sources.
    I remember reading that, and actually I thought of you yesterday because I'm noticing a huge improvement in my sense of smell! It happened quite suddenly. Weird.

I don't know the cause for the eye sight improvement. I don't eat much Vit A tbh...

- Ray Peat

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm not familiar with cupping. Have you tried it before now? I've had lymphatic stuff going on. I used to go to a health store and get on one of those full body vibration machines. It gives more benefit than using a rebounder. Some say it's a gimmick but it always helped with when water retention would get really bad. I want to buy one.