Page 136 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 136

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I also used to have social anxiety, cuz I thought I was awkward at interacting and communicating with people. I suppose I still have some awkwardness to my demeanor, the difference is that I don't much care anymore. Hence no more anxiety. LOL

Sorry you had one, but that was a great coping mechanism for your panic attack.
    I used to like swinging a lot as a kid. Now it makes me heave

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I've had crippling panic attacks out of the blue for no reason whatsoever. What helps is: racetams, nicotine, caffeine, prenenolone, antibiotics(Peat believes they are caused by some sort of allergic reaction), and breathing in a brown bag. You usually waste a lot of co2 via panic attacks, and or, have already wasted it, which would in turn cause adrenaline spikes.

I haven't had an actual panic attack since starting this extensive regimen though, so, it must work. Whenever I felt one might be coming on I would just breathe into a brown bag.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Truer words, McD2onald, truer words...

I'm sorry to hear about your panic attacks and I'm surprised you were able to start running despite them... I had them almost every night for the year I was around 10 yrs-old and it felt like I couldn't breathe and like I was quite literally dying so I can't imagine running. I second breathing into a paper bag - that would help me tremendously when I started to hyperventilate.

What do you think is the underlying cause?
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your panic attacks and I'm surprised you were able to start running despite them... I had them almost every night for the year I was around 10 yrs-old and it felt like I couldn't breathe and like I was quite literally dying so I can't imagine running. I second breathing into a paper bag - that would help me tremendously when I started to hyperventilate.
    I'm sorry to hear that you went through this so much! Good that it's over now though.

Many people associate panic attacks only with hyperventilation, but that's not how I get affected. I do have difficulty breathing, but my dominant symptoms are that my heart starts pounding violently, I start shaking, get cold sweats, and I feel dissociated from reality. Everything becomes surreal: the world turns into a dream with nightmarish qualities. Then there's the feeling of rising panic: not that I'm going to die, but that something terrible is going to happen.

Usually I cope by lying on my bed until it passes. When it's less severe I will binge and that alleviates a lot of the stress. Yesterday I ran like a mad woman. It's pretty funny when I think about it now

What do you think is the underlying cause?
    I had to laugh when I read this: I guess people skim over each others entries

Stress hormone spike.

Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    I would never picture you to be a loner! I would imagine you to be very out going and the life of the party!

It shows how far you've come that you ran to exercise instead if running to get a steak!
    Thank you

Yeah, weirdly I am very gregarious and light-hearted, and most people who meet me have no idea of how dark I can be. I like people, but the problem is that I'm on such a different wave length to most of the ones in my life. When I'm around people I can communicate with, I'm super socialable, but when connections and conversations are too superficial, I shut down, or just avoid interacting.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I also used to have social anxiety, cuz I thought I was awkward at interacting and communicating with people. I suppose I still have some awkwardness to my demeanor, the difference is that I don't much care anymore. Hence no more anxiety. LOL

Sorry you had one, but that was a great coping mechanism for your panic attack.
    I used to like swinging a lot as a kid. Now it makes me heave
    Ha - that's a good approach I realised that people were more afraid of me than I was of them! It's quite liberating. Just sometimes I get a blast of agoraphobia, and it all comes back, but it's now only towards men who serve me in shops... Weird, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I've had crippling panic attacks out of the blue for no reason whatsoever. What helps is: racetams, nicotine, caffeine, prenenolone, antibiotics(Peat believes they are caused by some sort of allergic reaction), and breathing in a brown bag. You usually waste a lot of co2 via panic attacks, and or, have already wasted it, which would in turn cause adrenaline spikes.

I haven't had an actual panic attack since starting this extensive regimen though, so, it must work. Whenever I felt one might be coming on I would just breathe into a brown bag.
    I'm sorry that you've gone through this too! Caffeine definitely doesn't help me though: a few times I had an attack after drinking a strong coffee.

I think since tailoring my diet more towards Ray Peat, I've become more conscious of how I'm feeling, so it becomes easier to dissociate, or find some way to feel better instead of slipping into subconscious behaviours.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-19-2013 at 06:03 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I nearly bought it, and then something stopped me. I'm seriously sooo sick of taking supplements. It's not me!

Well, as you know, I feel your pain about the weight. i hope the Cynomel helps! Can I ask: what's your weight loss story been? Like, what weight did you start at, what did you get to (through exercise) and how much have you regained?
    Yeah, I totally understand not wanting to buy more supplements! I want to buy some Eleuthero (Siberian ginseng), but at the same time I don't want to cuz it's just going to be another f-ing supplement.

Well, my weight fluctuated a lot in my late teens/early twenties, but there were a couple of years there when I didn't really care that much about my weight and didn't own a scale. I only knew if I gained or lost through how my clothes fit, but we'll skip over that time period. (If we ever meet in real life, I'll bore you to death with what I was doing back then.)

When I first moved to Philly 7 years ago (gah, every time I think about that I cringe), I weighed 142. I think 142 is probably the heaviest I've ever been. Then I lost 17 pounds through exercise (running) alone. Got down to 125. I was able to stay around 125 for a couple years. Then maybe a year and a half ago, I gained some weight and went to 130-132. I went primal and got back down to 126. Then I went to Chicago for four days for a college buddy's wedding--this was last June, and we gorged ourselves the entire time (literally, our days revolved around eating and drinking). I gained a bunch of weight, and then primal stopped working for me. I couldn't lose the weight again. Hovered around 130-132 until last September, when I gained more weight and went up to 138. And then started the VLC, cyclic ketogenic diet, but couldn't lose anything except water weight. Well, maybe I did lose one pound because I was 137 when I started EAT. Gained about one pound during 3 or 4 months of not dieting. Started Crossfit, weight went up to 142. Started JUDDD, weight went back down to 137. Now stuck at 137. *Sigh*

Anyway, I was pretty happy with myself at 125, but my standards are not like yours. Remember I'm only 5'4", and you can add 5 pounds for every inch of height so me at 125 is like you at 145 (you're 5'8", right). I always wanted to be 120, but I never tried very hard to get lower than 125. So now my goal is to get back down to 125. 120 would be spectacular but pretty unlikely, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I realised that people were more afraid of me than I was of them!
    Haha! I realized that too at one point cuz people I later became friends with sometimes tell me that they thought I was scary when they first met me! I guess it's cuz I'm not super chatty or friendly with strangers so I seem stand-offish, and I almost never smile so I guess I look scary because of that? But I'm never mean to strangers. Anyway, this makes it pretty hard for me to make friends because I guess people think I'm scary so they're scared to talk to me and I don't really know what to say to them so...

This is kinda relevant to what we were talking about. Exercise Can Be a Key Anti-Anxiety Treatment

Exercise definitely cured my depression. It really works like a mood stabilizer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Yeah, I totally understand not wanting to buy more supplements! I want to buy some Eleuthero (Siberian ginseng), but at the same time I don't want to cuz it's just going to be another f-ing supplement.

When I first moved to Philly 7 years ago (gah, every time I think about that I cringe), I weighed 142. I think 142 is probably the heaviest I've ever been. Then I lost 17 pounds through exercise (running) alone. Got down to 125. I was able to stay around 125 for a couple years. Then maybe a year and a half ago, I gained some weight and went to 130-132. I went primal and got back down to 126. Then I went to Chicago for four days for a college buddy's wedding--this was last June, and we gorged ourselves the entire time (literally, our days revolved around eating and drinking). I gained a bunch of weight, and then primal stopped working for me. I couldn't lose the weight again. Hovered around 130-132 until last September, when I gained more weight and went up to 138. And then started the VLC, cyclic ketogenic diet, but couldn't lose anything except water weight. Well, maybe I did lose one pound because I was 137 when I started EAT. Gained about one pound during 3 or 4 months of not dieting. Started Crossfit, weight went up to 142. Started JUDDD, weight went back down to 137. Now stuck at 137. *Sigh*
    To be fair, I only take Vit D3, Brewer's yeast, progesterone cream, and vitex. *only* I just hate the idea of taking things that are not actually helping my body to heal, but are just giving it artificial aid, if you know what I mean. But still, I probably will buy the rhodiola, because I'm pretty sure now I'm going to do a "cut", and I know I won't be able to sleep during it.

Well, it sounds like you've had quite a battle with your weight. God, I'm sick of it. Wouldn't it be great if we could just accept that we are all different? Until then, I'm going to keep trying new things The only thing that seems to make me lose weight is starving myself. 1,500cals and 3k cals make very little difference to my weight.

How long did it take you to lose weight through running? I'm hoping I might see some results from exercise, since I've only been doing it for a month, really.

This is kinda relevant to what we were talking about. Exercise Can Be a Key Anti-Anxiety Treatment

Exercise definitely cured my depression. It really works like a mood stabilizer for me.
    It's weird, but I could never do anything other than yoga for a sustained period. Exercise generally made me feel worse, til I started taking Vitex. So weird... Now I definitely crave it, and I feel myself wanting to work out more and more each day!

Haha! I realized that too at one point cuz people I later became friends with sometimes tell me that they thought I was scary when they first met me! I guess it's cuz I'm not super chatty or friendly with strangers so I seem stand-offish, and I almost never smile so I guess I look scary because of that? But I'm never mean to strangers. Anyway, this makes it pretty hard for me to make friends because I guess people think I'm scary so they're scared to talk to me and I don't really know what to say to them so...
    One of my friends is like that. She's now making a conscious effort to smile more
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

The weight came off in chunks. So I think I lost the first five pretty quickly, then stalled for a while, lost another 4, stalled, lost a few more, etc. All together though, the whole 17 pounds probably took a year. The first 10 pounds came off in 4-6 months--can't remember exactly. But it's 4-6 months after I started running. When I first started working out, I was so out-of-shape that I could only workout on the elliptical, and I did NOT lose any weight on the elliptical. Did not start losing until I started running.

The last five pounds took the longest, but they came off in a swoosh.

Losing weight from exercise takes time. It's unlike dieting, which (if it works at all) starts working immediately. BUT, in my experience, once you lose the weight, it's waaay easier to keep it off. I remember how surprised I was when, after a 2-week vacation back home during which I didn't exercise at all (back then I wasn't nearly as obsessed so I could take 2-week breaks), I had only gained 1-2 pounds (this was after I had lost 10).

The weight came off in chunks. So I think I lost the first five pretty quickly, then stalled for a while, lost another 4, stalled, lost a few more, etc. All together though, the whole 17 pounds probably took a year. The first 10 pounds came off in 4-6 months--can't remember exactly. But it's 4-6 months after I started running. When I first started working out, I was so out-of-shape that I could only workout on the elliptical, and I did NOT lose any weight on the elliptical. Did not start losing until I started running.

The last five pounds took the longest, but they came off in a swoosh.

Losing weight from exercise takes time. It's unlike dieting, which (if it works at all) starts working immediately. BUT, in my experience, once you lose the weight, it's waaay easier to keep it off. I remember how surprised I was when, after a 2-week vacation back home during which I didn't exercise at all (back then I wasn't nearly as obsessed so I could take 2-week breaks), I had only gained 1-2 pounds (this was after I had lost 10).
    Okay, that's actually a relief to know! I'm getting impatient that nothing seems to be happening. I'm actually going to put a post on the fitness forum asking advice about my exercise regime and if I should step it up You've seen what I do every day - what do you think of it?

When you started exercising were you cutting calories at all? I just can't seem to do that any more...

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I didn't skim; I did read that but forgot by the time I replied. I should have RE-skimmed.

That sounds terrible, but I'm glad you have found coping mechanisms. hopefully getting your hormones in balance will alleviate them altogether then.

The causes for panic attacks seem to be quite varied. My sister had them for years after some laced weed triggered the first one. It took her forever to get off of anti-anxiety meds. She actually still might be on 1/4 of a child's dose or something. It's completely placebo at this point... Mine (I'm fairly certain) were triggered by a couple of people close to me dying tragically and unexpectedly in quick succession. I was given meds but my mom rarely gave them to me (smart woman) and would just sit and read to me every night so I could fall asleep until I eventually ceased having them about a year later. For a few years after that I would have them if I slept somewhere unfamiliar (a friend's house, hotel, etc.) but I don't have any issues with that anymore.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?