Page 135 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 135

  1. #1341
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    No dates in a very long time. But I think I'm ready now.... but I wasn't 2 days ago. lol Maybe I'll have some stories to share soon too. Until then, I'll just read about your love life.
    I hear you. I took a long break too. It's necessary sometimes. Lmk how the predictions fare

    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Hah! I don't think it's good to mess with the one chemical that gives you that being in love euphoria though. Imagine if you developed a tolerance to it, you may never be able to fall in love again. That would suck.
    Sometimes, that may not be such a bad thing...



    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I was actually really surprised that the rhodiola worked so well--that it worked at all, i.e., did anything noticeable. You could try it. Maybe it'll help.

    I'm still doing JUDDD. Not really losing weight though, or maybe losing reeeally slowly. So slowly that it's not even noticeable. Haha, maybe. Who knows. So sick of nothing working. Still waiting for the Cynomel to get here.
    I'm going to buy it! Do you think this one looks okay? http://www.yourhealthfoodstore.co.uk...liquid-extract

    Do you count calories at all? Just curious how many you eat on average a day? I thought I was eating under 2K, but about twice a week I eat 3K so it averages me out at 2.3K a day. Probably not enough to lose weight! I've decided that in a month or so (once I've built more muscle) I'm going to do a cut. Fuck it.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-18-2013 at 06:34 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  2. #1342
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Anxiety

    Writing a little early today, cos' I'm going out tonight.

    Well, this morning I had a panic attack! It's the second one I've had this month. The experience was actually quite interesting.

    Nothing in my external world triggered it. I slept pretty well last night, had done about two hours work, and just got off the phone with my colleague, L. Yesterday was a big food day, so I wasn't very hungry: I'd had two pieces of cheese, and some coffee with gelatine. But after getting off the phone with L, I started to think about food a lot. Suddenly I was getting severe cravings for red meat, but I was flooded with exhaustion and agoraphobia: I was afraid to go to the local butchers cos I would have to speak to people. (I know that sounds bad - I used to get like that a lot, but I've mostly overcome it.) I decided to cycle to the supermarket and buy steak. But, right before I walked out the door, I realised I was having a panic attack. I dumped my backpack, and started running. I just ran and ran until I got to the park, then I ran and sprinted, then sat in the sun. After 10 mins of deep breathing I walked to the swings and did some swinging. This almost instantly calmed me down! I did some practice chin ups, some jumping on the rebounder, then headed back home. I felt fine for the rest of the day, and went swimming in the avo.

    What happened to me today is the closest I've come to observing that my binging and anxiety must be due to hormonal imbalances. This literally came out of nowhere, and gentle exercise (the swinging) righted me. I've tried to look up the benefits of swinging, to no avail. Anyone know anything?!

    In hindsight I can see that I used to get anxiety attacks quite a lot, and I would cope by binging. The food must have relieved the stress hormones. I consider it really positive to see that I was about to use food to calm me down, and then I instinctually turned to exercise instead. SO much more constructive!

    Never a dull moment
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  3. #1343
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    12,186
    I'm sorry that you had this attack, but glad you're feeling better. Fear of speaking to strangers was a big part of how I used to live in an anxious state. It's still something I struggle with a bit, but I force myself to do things when I have to and it's fine. It became a habit, so sometimes I just fall back into "being afraid" when I'm not really.

    Did you swing as a child? Any happy/soothing memories associated with that motion?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  4. #1344
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I'm sorry that you had this attack, but glad you're feeling better. Fear of speaking to strangers was a big part of how I used to live in an anxious state. It's still something I struggle with a bit, but I force myself to do things when I have to and it's fine. It became a habit, so sometimes I just fall back into "being afraid" when I'm not really.

    Did you swing as a child? Any happy/soothing memories associated with that motion?
    Thank you <3

    Yeah, I used to have social anxiety so badly so that I would start shaking when I was paying for groceries. I've more or less overcome it now, but I still tend towards being a loner cos I find people a bit exhausting.

    I couldn't find anything about swinging, but I did find some stuff about hammocks (which also have the swining motion):

    Apparently the swinging motion stimulates the cerebral cortex, leading to improved concentration and better sleep. So I imagine it reduces anxiety too! Swaying Of Hammock Lulls Brain Into Deeper Sleep : NPR

    The Swaying of a Hammock Hacks Your Brain
    For reasons scientists are still unclear about, the swaying of hammocks alters the brain waves of sleepers. The swaying makes the brainwaves stronger, Muhlethaler said.
    The causes for the brain-hacking properties of hammocks remains obscure.

    Swaying “induces a sustained boosting of slow oscillations and spindle activity. It is proposed that sensory stimulation associated with a swinging motion exerts a synchronizing action in the brain that reinforces endogenous sleep rhythms” the paper’s authors wrote, whatever that means.
    From http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...ave-your-life/
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-18-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  5. #1345
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    12,186
    I can't imagine trying to sleep in a hammock with another person (or hammock sex for that matter), but now I really want to try sleeping in one. I am prone to motion sickness, however, so I don't know if that would work well for me (can't read in cars, get queasy on small boats if they're sitting still, or on docks).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  6. #1346
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I can't imagine trying to sleep in a hammock with another person (or hammock sex for that matter), but now I really want to try sleeping in one. I am prone to motion sickness, however, so I don't know if that would work well for me (can't read in cars, get queasy on small boats if they're sitting still, or on docks).
    Well, it may not be necessary: swinging on a swing is the same motion! Obviously not for sleeping, but seems like there's evidence to suggest that the swaying motion regulates brainwaves and reduces stress.

    This might be my new N=1...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  7. #1347
    diene's Avatar
    diene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northeastern U.S.
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

    I'm going to buy it! Do you think this one looks okay? Natures Answer Rhodiola Root Herbal Liquid Extract

    Do you count calories at all? Just curious how many you eat on average a day? I thought I was eating under 2K, but about twice a week I eat 3K so it averages me out at 2.3K a day. Probably not enough to lose weight! I've decided that in a month or so (once I've built more muscle) I'm going to do a cut. Fuck it.
    Nature's Answer is a good brand. I have the NOW capsules. Not sure if that's available in the UK, but Zach doesn't like the capsules as much so maybe the Nature's Answer liquid extract is better anyway.

    I was counting calories on up days for a while, but then I got sick of it and stopped. I think I average between 2400 and 3500 on up days, and my down days are between 0 and 400. It actually averages out to be quite a deficit because I think I rarely hit 3500 on up days. It's just all stupid. I'm seriously so annoyed. I hope that the Cynomel will help if it ever gets here.

  8. #1348
    diene's Avatar
    diene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northeastern U.S.
    Posts
    1,660
    I have social anxiety too. I guess it's gotten better over time, but I'm still not super chatty with strangers so a lot of times I come off as stand-offish but it's really just because I often don't know what to say to strangers and don't really feel comfortable talking to them.

    *Hugs* It's awesome that you were able to recover from the panic attack through exercise. I've never had a panic attack before, but I heard that they're really scary.

    Regarding the swing: I think the swinging motion is just soothing--could be because of how it affects brain waves--you know how babies are soothed by being placed in a cradle and rocked.

  9. #1349
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Nature's Answer is a good brand. I have the NOW capsules. Not sure if that's available in the UK, but Zach doesn't like the capsules as much so maybe the Nature's Answer liquid extract is better anyway.

    I was counting calories on up days for a while, but then I got sick of it and stopped. I think I average between 2400 and 3500 on up days, and my down days are between 0 and 400. It actually averages out to be quite a deficit because I think I rarely hit 3500 on up days. It's just all stupid. I'm seriously so annoyed. I hope that the Cynomel will help if it ever gets here.
    I nearly bought it, and then something stopped me. I'm seriously sooo sick of taking supplements. It's not me!

    Well, as you know, I feel your pain about the weight. i hope the Cynomel helps! Can I ask: what's your weight loss story been? Like, what weight did you start at, what did you get to (through exercise) and how much have you regained?

    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I have social anxiety too. I guess it's gotten better over time, but I'm still not super chatty with strangers so a lot of times I come off as stand-offish but it's really just because I often don't know what to say to strangers and don't really feel comfortable talking to them.

    *Hugs* It's awesome that you were able to recover from the panic attack through exercise. I've never had a panic attack before, but I heard that they're really scary.

    Regarding the swing: I think the swinging motion is just soothing--could be because of how it affects brain waves--you know how babies are soothed by being placed in a cradle and rocked.
    Yeah, it's weird: I'm super friendly with people when I speak to them, but sometimes it takes me a lot to get out to meet them! I'm quite cool with people on the street though, and have been called a snob in the past.

    Thank you! It's funny: I just read the symptoms of them, and it sounds so terrible!!! I get a quite a few of the symptoms, but they look so much worse written down.

    I'm glad it happened though. It gave me a lot of clarity. At least now I can see how related my stress hormones and my eating are. I visited the playground before coming home tonight, and had another swing. It's so soothing! It would be cool if this helped.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-18-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  10. #1350
    brooke.S.'s Avatar
    brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Yeah, I used to have social anxiety so badly so that I would start shaking when I was paying for groceries. I've more or less overcome it now, but I still tend towards being a loner cos I find people a bit exhausting.

    I couldn't find anything about swinging, but I did find some stuff about hammocks (which also have the swining motion):

    Apparently the swinging motion stimulates the cerebral cortex, leading to improved concentration and better sleep. So I imagine it reduces anxiety too! Swaying Of Hammock Lulls Brain Into Deeper Sleep : NPR


    From http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...ave-your-life/
    I would never picture you to be a loner! I would imagine you to be very out going and the life of the party!

    It shows how far you've come that you ran to exercise instead if running to get a steak!

    I've saw on tv once that a rocking motion soothes a person. They showed an example of a child rocking back and forth when he was crying.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •