Page 126 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 126

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    THE SKIN I'M IN

Question folks:

I know most (all?) of the people who read this journal are not LC, but have probably been low carb for sustained periods of time. I'm wondering if you guys have noticed subtle differences in your body depending on what foods you are including / excluding?

Me:

1) Certain carbs give me BO! Namely: legumes and starch. I sweat a lot, but never had issues with body odour until I was eating piles of lentils and rice. Before that phase (when I was veggie), I would mainly eat wheat, and had no issues. I'm not sure about potatoes... But now I haven't had starch in about two weeks (umm - except bread ); I'm eating mostly fruit and dairy, and I smell pretty damn good

2) Skin. I hate to say it, but low carb makes my skin look amazing. I have naturally dehydrated, delicate skin but when I am LC, I don't need moisturiser! I don't think it's high fat that does it, because even when I was high carb-high fat my skin was still getting dry. I literally think it's sugars that dry out my skin.

Cant think of any more right now... pray do share yours
    1. No, I smell like flowers all the time. The only time I have ever had BO was for the few months I was on the pill.

2. My skin wasn't bad until I went low carb (well, zero carb) probably because it fucked with mah hormones.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

diene is offline Senior Member
    I really can't say that I noticed a difference with my body when I was low carb or VLC. I know that eating too much animal fat makes my skin oily, but butter and coconut oil don't seem to do that.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    That's interesting you noticed that about the animal fat, Di!

Wednesday, 10th July

You know I'm feeling brain-dead when my journal title is the date

Supplements:
    - Does anyone know why Vit B sups make your pee brights yellow?!
    - Doing some experimenting with my progesterone oil... putting it directly on my breasts! Hopefully this will help them grow. Ci's fenugreek massages inspired me Read this interesting (non-Ray Peat) article about progesterone and breast health

Exercise:
    Never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm getting addicted to exercise! I've been running nearly every day for about 2 weeks. I love it. And my energy is holding up too, which is great.

Bloating:
    So, once again, I'm blaming milk as the culprit I've tried giving it up numerous times, but I never last long. I LOVE milky tea and coffee. I drink like, six hot drinks a day, and it adds up. So, this time I decided just to cut down on the amount of milk I use in my tea and coffee. For the last three days I've been drinking my coffee black, and only adding a drop to my tea. Too early to say for sure, but I feel less bloated.

I'm starting to notice lots of other things that bloat me too - orange juice, nectarines, salad, of course bread, apples, rice... it's a long list. Maybe I should go to that naturopath after all.

Film:
    If any of you have any interest in Buddhism, a really good friend of mine directed this film about the Dalai Lama. He travels with him through the U.K, and gets a really personal insight into the man. It's a really sweet film: I watched it today, and I feel quite inspired by it. http://www.roadtopeace.co.uk/

It's interesting to see how, no matter how good a person you are, there are always going to be people who criticise you, and that strength is only built when you can override all those thoughts and take both praise and blame in your stride. In fact, that's actually a quote from the Buddha! "Neither praise nor blame moves the wise man."

That reminds me of another one from the Buddha, which I love:

"We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts we make the world.
    Speak or act with a pure mind
    And happiness will follow you
    As your shadow, unshakable."

Music:
    And, here's a beautiful piece of music, from "Game of Thrones". Yes, I'm listening to it right now. Yes, I am obsessed

Last edited by YogaBare; 07-10-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Vitamin B supps make your pee yellow because riboflavin (vitamin B2) is bright yellow. This is also why the liquid from yogurt has a fluorescent yellow tinge--because the bacteria in yogurt produce riboflavin!

So my mom is a devout Buddhist and a student of Buddhist philosophy (theology?). She has asked me to educate people about this whenever the opportunity arises. The Dalai Lama's religion (Tibetan Buddhism) is not true Buddhism. Unfortunately, I don't really understand this well enough to be able to explain the reasons although I've tried to get her to put up a website that explains the differences. (And you just reminded me to remind her about the website.) The interesting thing is that when I mentioned this to some of my boyfriend's relatives who are from India, they all knew it--they were like, yes, of course it's not the same thing. But it's not generally known among Westerners.

What do you think about Theon Greyjoy? I've always felt really bad for him.

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Vitamin B supps make your pee yellow because riboflavin (vitamin B2) is bright yellow. This is also why the liquid from yogurt has a fluorescent yellow tinge--because the bacteria in yogurt produce riboflavin!

So my mom is a devout Buddhist and a student of Buddhist philosophy (theology?). She has asked me to educate people about this whenever the opportunity arises. The Dalai Lama's religion (Tibetan Buddhism) is not true Buddhism. Unfortunately, I don't really understand this well enough to be able to explain the reasons although I've tried to get her to put up a website that explains the differences. (And you just reminded me to remind her about the website.) The interesting thing is that when I mentioned this to some of my boyfriend's relatives who are from India, they all knew it--they were like, yes, of course it's not the same thing. But it's not generally known among Westerners.

What do you think about Theon Greyjoy? I've always felt really bad for him.
    AH, thanks for the Vitamin-P info

Haha, good to see you're being an obedient daughter Yes - please tell her about the film: she'd love it! Buddhists say 'philosophy' cos' they say Buddhism isn't a religion. The original lineage of Buddhism is a little complex. I believe it's Indian, but the Chinese also claim it.

I feel differently about Theon in the show and in the books. I HATED him in the show (they made him utterly despicable) but he's totally different in the books: much more sympathetic, and conflicted. Yeah, I feel sorry for him too, even though he does some horrific things, you don't feel like he's acting with his nature. Like when he pukes after executing the guy, and his tortured feelings about what they did to the kids...

Have you heard to the soundtrack btw? I'm in heaven here listening to it...

Last edited by YogaBare; 07-10-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I think Theon just wanted to belong. The whole time he was a ward of the Starks, he didn't really belong because he wasn't one of them. And then he went home and realized that he didn't belong there either. So he did some things that were contrary to his nature in order to belong, but, in the end, still didn't belong.

Yeah, I love the soundtrack. I'm listening to it now too.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

Exercise:
    Never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm getting addicted to exercise! I've been running nearly every day for about 2 weeks. I love it. And my energy is holding up too, which is great.
    Welcome to the club.

Also, Biotin (vitamin B - some number) makes my pee lemony yellow. Cool explanation Diene.

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I think Theon just wanted to belong. The whole time he was a ward of the Starks, he didn't really belong because he wasn't one of them. And then he went home and realized that he didn't belong there either. So he did some things that were contrary to his nature in order to belong, but, in the end, still didn't belong.

Yeah, I love the soundtrack. I'm listening to it now too.
    It's just... he never... had a childhood! Oh wait, that was Michael Jackson's excuse

<3

This is my favourite piece I think (some freak has put it on an hour-long loop!):

And this is amazing too:

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Even I am prone to exercise addiction. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody.

I believe the tolerance of most problem foods is dose related. It's very possible that you can handle a bit of milk but not a lot of it.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Welcome to the club.
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Even I am prone to exercise addiction. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody.
    Not me... never before! Seriously. Never in my life. I always did it to get results. Now I'm doing it because I want to. It's given me a stress release. Amazing.

Thanks Gray! We'll see how long it lasts

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I believe the tolerance of most problem foods is dose related. It's very possible that you can handle a bit of milk but not a lot of it.
    I don't know if I can live without milky coffee though... yes, I know there are starving kids in Africa

- Ray Peat