Page 112 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 112

  1. #1111
    diene's Avatar
    diene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northeastern U.S.
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    May I ask why you are considering taking a T3 med?
    Oh, you must think I'm nuts. Well, I'm at the point where I'm really frustrated and annoyed with the fact that I've been unable to lose weight for almost a year now. I have reasons to suspect my thyroid, and after reading some of Ray Peat's articles and (gasp) some of the threads over at peatarian forums, where taking thyroid hormones is fairly common, I've decided to give it a shot. I have a history of self-medication so this is really just another thing for me to try. I can't get a prescription from a doctor because my TSH isn't high enough yet (2.33 as opposed to > 3.0), and, in any case, doctors are mostly idiots and are only good for handing out prescriptions. It's just hard with thyroid meds because they base their diagnosis entirely on blood tests. With most things, I usually diagnose myself, then go to the doctor and convince them that I have whatever it is I think I have and just get a script for whatever meds I want. Much cheaper and time efficient to just cut out the doc, heh.

    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

    It specifically says that one of the side effects of Duphaston is breast growth! So I don't know if that's the progesterone, or the combination of drugs in the tablets or what...
    Probably the best side effect in the world of side effects! Far better than depression, thoughts of suicide, or death.

  2. #1112
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Working my upper body makes me feel more balanced. I've got wide shoulders anyway.
    Yeah, my upper frame is quite narrow, hence the battle (now over) to stay in "proportion". You seem have to a good attitude towards your body NW! I admire that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only feeling lost here. I have no idea what my T3 or T4 numbers are or how to find out.
    You're lucky you don't know! If you knew it would mean that you have / had thyroid issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Add me to that club. I've learned so much from these guys (read Zach, Yoga and Derpamix) but I'm not even scratching the surface when it comes to actually grasping the whole concepts when it comes to hormones and stuff. For me "eat more fructose, so T4 can convert to T3" is good enough.

    My layman understanding is that the thyroid hormone T4 converts to T3 in the liver and that conversion is essential for normally functioning thyroid and the process is aided by ingesting sufficient carbs - mainly by fructose.
    My own n=1 VLC for long time = severe hair loss. So, something was amiss there.

    Yoga, are you sure the increased measurements in the hips and belly were not only a temporary bloat? It's very difficult to be consistent with that tape too.
    I'm glad my public learning is helpful! And I'm rather flattered to be included with the sugar gurus

    To be fair, there are more than 50 hormones in the human body, and I bet the average person only knows four (testosterone, adrenaline, oestrogen, serotonin). So we're all ahead of CW anyway

    Unfortunately, no - it's definitely weight gain. Maybe you didn't see any of my posts around the place, but I gained weight on my last course of Duphaston, and gained more when I went on holidays eating fatty restaurant food every day. My bust didn't change did I started the second course of Duphaston.

    Weirdly though, on the scale I'm at my highest weight ever, but with the measuring tape my sizes are smaller than after "Eat a Ton". I seriously doubt I put on any muscle in the last few weeks (unless you build muscle sitting in a car for five hours a day? ) Maybe it's inflammation weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Oh, you must think I'm nuts. Well, I'm at the point where I'm really frustrated and annoyed with the fact that I've been unable to lose weight for almost a year now. I have reasons to suspect my thyroid, and after reading some of Ray Peat's articles and (gasp) some of the threads over at peatarian forums, where taking thyroid hormones is fairly common, I've decided to give it a shot.
    Have you ordered it Diene? And are you posting on RP?? My username there is Violet.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  3. #1113
    diene's Avatar
    diene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northeastern U.S.
    Posts
    1,659
    I ordered the Cynomel. I got an email saying that it's going to take 3.5-4 weeks before I get it because of heightened U.S. border controls. Oh well!

    I haven't posted on RP, mostly just lurking. I'll say hi if I see you over there!

  4. #1114
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I ordered the Cynomel. I got an email saying that it's going to take 3.5-4 weeks before I get it because of heightened U.S. border controls. Oh well!

    I haven't posted on RP, mostly just lurking. I'll say hi if I see you over there!
    Good luck with it! Sorry, I can't remember - have you had your t4 or t3 checked?

    I've already made a few posts there... all about oestrogen and progesterone I'm a one trick pony.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  5. #1115
    diene's Avatar
    diene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northeastern U.S.
    Posts
    1,659
    I haven't had my free T4 and T3 tested. I keep not being able to decide which test to get so I ended up not getting any of them. I could get the free T3 & T4, which isn't that expensive, but I keep thinking that if I'm going to get another test it should be the complete thyroid panel, which includes reverse T3, and that's kinda expensive. And then there's Ray Peat who says that all these tests are stupid and that you should just focus on symptoms. (Peat, for example, thinks that the whole idea that only free T3 is biologically active is wrong because protein-bound T3 can enter the cell membrane.) Then I think that maybe I should get the food allergies test first (to see if I'm gluten-intolerant and need to stop drinking beer). And other times I just think that I should stop being such a hypochondriac.

  6. #1116
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I haven't had my free T4 and T3 tested. I keep not being able to decide which test to get so I ended up not getting any of them. I could get the free T3 & T4, which isn't that expensive, but I keep thinking that if I'm going to get another test it should be the complete thyroid panel, which includes reverse T3, and that's kinda expensive. And then there's Ray Peat who says that all these tests are stupid and that you should just focus on symptoms. (Peat, for example, thinks that the whole idea that only free T3 is biologically active is wrong because protein-bound T3 can enter the cell membrane.) Then I think that maybe I should get the food allergies test first (to see if I'm gluten-intolerant and need to stop drinking beer). And other times I just think that I should stop being such a hypochondriac.
    Well, knowledge is power, and knowing what your numbers are will tell you one way or the other if you're a hypochondriac Just get t4 and t3 done - the more involved panels are probably not necessarily unless you've got a full blown condition. You could just be borderline, like I am.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  7. #1117
    marcadav's Avatar
    marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only feeling lost here. I have no idea what my T3 or T4 numbers are or how to find out.
    Most people never have T4 and T3 tests run and that is because they are not having any symptoms of a thyroid problem. If you do have symptoms or just want to learn more about the thyroid here is a great site:
    Thyroid 101, Basic Information and Index to Mary Shomon's About.com Thyroid Disease Website

    To find out what your numbers are you ask your doctor to run a blood test for them. Just be aware there are two types-- Total T4 and T3 and Free T4 and T3.

  8. #1118
    marcadav's Avatar
    marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Oh, you must think I'm nuts. Well, I'm at the point where I'm really frustrated and annoyed with the fact that I've been unable to lose weight for almost a year now. I have reasons to suspect my thyroid, and after reading some of Ray Peat's articles and (gasp) some of the threads over at peatarian forums, where taking thyroid hormones is fairly common, I've decided to give it a shot. I have a history of self-medication so this is really just another thing for me to try. I can't get a prescription from a doctor because my TSH isn't high enough yet (2.33 as opposed to > 3.0), and, in any case, doctors are mostly idiots and are only good for handing out prescriptions. It's just hard with thyroid meds because they base their diagnosis entirely on blood tests. With most things, I usually diagnose myself, then go to the doctor and convince them that I have whatever it is I think I have and just get a script for whatever meds I want. Much cheaper and time efficient to just cut out the doc, heh.
    I don't think your nuts. I just know what life is like with wacky thyroid hormones and would never want to complicate my thyroid function with experimentation, especially if the issues can be resolved without hormone replacement.. But that's just me.

    You can get blood tests without going to the doctor. Getting Free T4 and Free T3 would, IMO, give you a clearer picture of whether taking T3 is warranted.
    Thyroid Panel II: T4 Free, T3 Free with TSH | Thyroid Lab Test They used to give a discount with the code 12345. I don't know if they still do.

    Also anemia, especially low ferritin, can cause hair loss. I would also make sure I was doing everything possible to improve thyroid function/hormone conversion naturally:
    1. Optimal vitamin D levels
    2. Optimal ferritin levels
    3. Adequate selenium 200mcg/day
    4. Not too low carb or calories
    5. Not too much stress--including overtraning
    6. Good liver function

  9. #1119
    diene's Avatar
    diene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northeastern U.S.
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Well, knowledge is power, and knowing what your numbers are will tell you one way or the other if you're a hypochondriac Just get t4 and t3 done - the more involved panels are probably not necessarily unless you've got a full blown condition. You could just be borderline, like I am.
    You're right. Okay, I'll get the free T4 and T3 test.

    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I don't think your nuts. I just know what life is like with wacky thyroid hormones and would never want to complicate my thyroid function with experimentation, especially if the issues can be resolved without hormone replacement.. But that's just me.

    You can get blood tests without going to the doctor. Getting Free T4 and Free T3 would, IMO, give you a clearer picture of whether taking T3 is warranted.
    Thyroid Panel II: T4 Free, T3 Free with TSH | Thyroid Lab Test They used to give a discount with the code 12345. I don't know if they still do.

    Also anemia, especially low ferritin, can cause hair loss. I would also make sure I was doing everything possible to improve thyroid function/hormone conversion naturally:
    1. Optimal vitamin D levels
    2. Optimal ferritin levels
    3. Adequate selenium 200mcg/day
    4. Not too low carb or calories
    5. Not too much stress--including overtraning
    6. Good liver function
    Hey, thanks for the link. I usually get my tests from Direct Labs, and they have one that's just T4 and T3 and is slightly cheaper (by $10) than the one you linked to.

    I've tried to improve the above things. I supplement with vitamin D and selenium. I've never had my ferritin levels tested, but I'm not anemic. Carbs and calories are okay now. The stress thing is kinda beyond my control. But I recently started taking rhodiola to lower my cortisol levels, and i think it actually works. I had all my liver enzymes tested, and everything came back normal (if you believe the lab ranges, which I don't necessarily). A few enzymes were on the high end of normal, but everything I looked up said that intense exercise could cause those enzymes to be elevated so I just assumed that that was the reason. Either that or the alcohol, but I don't actually think that I drink enough for it to impact my liver function.

  10. #1120
    marcadav's Avatar
    marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,290
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    You're right. Okay, I'll get the free T4 and T3 test.



    Hey, thanks for the link. I usually get my tests from Direct Labs, and they have one that's just T4 and T3 and is slightly cheaper (by $10) than the one you linked to.

    I've tried to improve the above things. I supplement with vitamin D and selenium. I've never had my ferritin levels tested, but I'm not anemic. Carbs and calories are okay now. The stress thing is kinda beyond my control. But I recently started taking rhodiola to lower my cortisol levels, and i think it actually works. I had all my liver enzymes tested, and everything came back normal (if you believe the lab ranges, which I don't necessarily). A few enzymes were on the high end of normal, but everything I looked up said that intense exercise could cause those enzymes to be elevated so I just assumed that that was the reason. Either that or the alcohol, but I don't actually think that I drink enough for it to impact my liver function.
    Ferritin can be very low for a long time before anemia shows up on blood tests like hemoglobin and hematocrit. Ferritin helps T4 to T3 conversion.

    Stress and excessive exercising can also inhibit conversion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •