Page 11 of 244 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 11

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Im at 15~% bf right now and slowly dropping. Long ago before paleo i was 178 at my all time leanest, that was after a typical diet down from 200 because i was into drinking and playing video games all day. Decided to change things up, started working out and eating good, no drinking and dropped fat like nothing. Then i got into health and nutrition and found paleo and things went fownhill from there. Over 5+ year i hit a high of 220 even though there were very few days that i went over 2500 calories! It was a super slow evolution and it would be a long write up if i were to write how everything happened. Now im at just under 190 and looking at 180 but i have much more muscle now then before so not sure what my goal weight really is.

I dont know if you have any health food stores or maybe even drug stores but i seriously advice you to go out and find a betein hcl product today! The difference with not only my digestion but my energy, skin, strength and muscle mass is almost night and day. This my very well be your key to the body change your waiting for. If you think about how important your digestion is for absorbing nutriants and breaking down fat. Plus its cheap, twinlabs has a bottle for $20.
    Quite the journey you've had! It's crazy how often people damage their health in the pursuit of better health... jogging etc. I think what I've learned from this is that self experimentation is great but... look before you leap?

Thanks for the HCl recom. I went straight to a pharmacy to find it, but those things aren't so readily available in this part of the world. I can order it online though.

I was thinking - do you think it would help if I upped my sugar intake? I take about a tea spoon a day, maximum four, but maybe that's not enough? It's crazy, but whenever I have tea with sugar, I feel this kind of buzzing right where my thyroid is. I literally feel it doing something to it. And it definitely gives me a considerable boost, which is amazing considering I only take one tea spoon.

Also, what do you think of calorie cycling as a way to lose weight? Does it have an adverse effect on metabolism?

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Cellulite is definitely an inflammation thing. Everything I do that reduces inflammation reduced cellulite. If you really want it gone cold baths got rid of it completely for me (I haven't continued because it's not all the fun It takes about 5-7 days to take effect but will go away after half a week of not doing it. Once it is gone probably every other day baths would be enough. Or just live with it and know it is temporary. It is blessing you with the experience of understanding other women on a different level lol.
    I agree with you about inflammation. My circulation is really bad and my legs 'feel' congested. The weird thing is, I used to feel it under my skin but it wasn't visible before, and then in the last few months, during this latest ED relapse it's started to appear. I'll try the cold baths, but ideally i should be working on getting rid of the inflammation. Not quite sure how to do that though...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-25-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    The cold does work by ridding the inflammation, cold is probably the most powerful anti-inflammatory there is. It just doesn't do anything for the cause of the inflammation. I have a feeling that when you are on the other side of this hill and temp is up all will be well

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Quite the journey you've had! It's crazy how often people damage their health in the pursuit of better health... jogging etc. I think what I've learned from this is that self experimentation is great but... look before you leap?

Thanks for the HCl recom. I went straight to a pharmacy to find it, but those things aren't so readily available in this part of the world. I can order it online though.

I was thinking - do you think it would help if I upped my sugar intake? I take about a tea spoon a day, maximum four, but maybe that's not enough? It's crazy, but whenever I have tea with sugar, I feel this kind of buzzing right where my thyroid is. I literally feel it doing something to it. And it definitely gives me a considerable boost, which is amazing considering I only take one tea spoon.

Also, what do you think of calorie cycling as a way to lose weight? Does it have an adverse effect on metabolism?
    You should talk to Derp about the sugar. I dont believe i ever experienced any benefits from added sugar, fruit and dairy on the other hand always make me feel better. Some people seem to di really well with a lot of added sugar and it seems to boost thyroid quite a bit. I would certainly lower fat intake if you gave it a try otherwise you will for sure gain some fat.

The only calorie cycling i recommend would be if you were actively exercising. Without the insulin sensitivity from some form of strength training i think cycling is pretty pointless. Im much fonder of just taking breaks from eating, say from 7pm to 10am to give digestion a break. Maybe a longer fast now and then to clean house. What type of calorie cycling did you have in mind?

As for inflammation, im willing to bet that if your stomach acid is low the. A lot of your inflammation is coming from undigested starch, protein and fats. If they dont get fully broken down, you will get leaky gut symptoms and your immune system will attack itself. Also the hih amount of protein and starch you eat might also be a factor and like i said, a more peat diet could help with that, something to try down the road. I also dont like cold water therapy for two reasons, one it is a shock to the system and therefore stress. This is ok for someone with a robust metabolism but for someone in a fragile state it can be too much kinf od like excess exercise. Second it encourages the body to keep a layer of protective fat which i dont think is your goal. Yes it induces calorie burning but it also tricks yor body into thinking its very cold, kind of like if you undereat it conserves fat. There may be some good side effects like the cellulite and acute inflammation, maybe a once or twice a week thing might be helpful, i prefer jumping into a cold lake or pool.

The cold does work by ridding the inflammation, cold is probably the most powerful anti-inflammatory there is. It just doesn't do anything for the cause of the inflammation. I have a feeling that when you are on the other side of this hill and temp is up all will be well
    I hope so Yeah, all these other things are just symptoms... got to find the cause!

The only calorie cycling i recommend would be if you were actively exercising. Without the insulin sensitivity from some form of strength training i think cycling is pretty pointless. Im much fonder of just taking breaks from eating, say from 7pm to 10am to give digestion a break. Maybe a longer fast now and then to clean house. What type of calorie cycling did you have in mind?

As for inflammation, im willing to bet that if your stomach acid is low the. A lot of your inflammation is coming from undigested starch, protein and fats. If they dont get fully broken down, you will get leaky gut symptoms and your immune system will attack itself. Also the hih amount of protein and starch you eat might also be a factor and like i said, a more peat diet could help with that, something to try down the road. I also dont like cold water therapy for two reasons, one it is a shock to the system and therefore stress. This is ok for someone with a robust metabolism but for someone in a fragile state it can be too much kinf od like excess exercise. Second it encourages the body to keep a layer of protective fat which i dont think is your goal. Yes it induces calorie burning but it also tricks yor body into thinking its very cold, kind of like if you undereat it conserves fat. There may be some good side effects like the cellulite and acute inflammation, maybe a once or twice a week thing might be helpful, i prefer jumping into a cold lake or pool.
    I'm normally pretty active. I do yoga most days, swim a few times a week, sprint once a week, and I cycle everywhere. Right now I'm just going for walks and doing some yoga. But by 'calorie cycling' I simply mean having 2-3 days a week where I eat a lot, and eating under 1,500 for the rest of the week. I did it for about two weeks in Feb and I dropped 6 lbs. But then I took it too far and started "IFing" on my low cal days, then started skipping lunch and before I knew it my low cal days were 800 cals. So I know it's a slippery slop, and I'm not ready to try it yet, but I'm hoping when I'm less of a psycho about food it might be a good way to lose the extra... curves

I've thought for ages that I might have low stomach acid. I hate to say all the things in my body that aren't working right, cos I sound like a hypochondriac, but the symptoms I have being diagnosed with (or are visibly apparent) are (bolded):

Conditions linked to low stomach acid include: allergies and intolerances, anemia, asthma, autoimmune diseases, chronic candida, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), chronic hepatitis, chronic hives, celiac disease, dry skin, eczema, gallbladder disease, gastrointestinal (GI) infections and parasites, hypoglycemia, irritable bowel syndrome(IBS), lupus, osteoporosis, psoriasis, reduced night vision, rheumatic arthritis, rosacea, thyroid disorders, type I and II diabetes, vitiligo (a skin disorder characterized by white patches or spots), weakened hair, nails or skin, fatigue, gas, headaches, hypertension, insomnia, irritation, muscle aches and pain, and many other problems.
    And we're suspecting thyroid.

I was a bit wary of those HCl pills. I just hate the idea of taking any pill to "fix" me, cos the effects only seem to work as long as you're taking it. Is the HCl is more like a "tonic", in that it restores something back to equilibrium?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-25-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

I was a bit wary of those HCl pills. I just hate the idea of taking any pill to "fix" me, cos the effects only seem to work as long as you're taking it. Is the HCl is more like a "tonic", in that it restores something back to equilibrium?
    The usual recommendation is to slowly up your dose one cap at a time until you feel a warming (for me it was a burning) sensation in the stomach then back off by one cap and that is your dose. Over time when you start feeling the warming sensation again back off by another cap until you are off of it. It is a temporary boost. Fermented foods before meals are also supposed to trigger your body to start producing HCl and might help you need less supplemental HCl.

I like the kind with pepsin in it. I took a different kind once and it was horrible even at really low doses.

Zach is offline Banned
    I think there are better ideas for fat loss then carb cycling, like you said its a slippery slope and it means you need to be pretty strict and cout calories. When you do decide to transition away from the current diet i will give opinions on better options.

Yes Betein HCl w pepsin is not like other supplements. Trust me, you wont find a bigger minimalist then me, i hate supplements simply for the inconvenionce of doing something routinely. This is different, it trains your body to produce enough bile on its own. The positives i experienced the same day i started was unbelievable. No other supplement has ever had this dramatic of effect on everything from digestion, heartburn, elimination and gas to libido, stregth, fatigue and mood. I was feeling good becore but this is another level.

I highly suggest you order some today, get the twinlabs HCl with Pepsin.
    Last edited by Zach; 04-01-2013 at 02:08 PM.

The usual recommendation is to slowly up your dose one cap at a time until you feel a warming (for me it was a burning) sensation in the stomach then back off by one cap and that is your dose. Over time when you start feeling the warming sensation again back off by another cap until you are off of it. It is a temporary boost. Fermented foods before meals are also supposed to trigger your body to start producing HCl and might help you need less supplemental HCl.

I like the kind with pepsin in it. I took a different kind once and it was horrible even at really low doses.
    Did you ever try ACV? I tried that a few times but it didn't immediately change my life so I didn't stick with it long enough to notice a different. Like I said at teh start of the journal... I suck at sticking to things!

I think there are better ideas for fat loss then carb cycling, like you said its a slippery slope and it means you need to be pretty strict and cout calories. When you do decide to transition away from the current diet i will give opinions on better options.

Yes Betein HCl w pepsin is not like other supplements. Trust me, you wont find a bigger minimalist then me, i hate supplements simply for the inconvenionce of doing something routinely. This is different, it trains your body to produce enough bile on its own. The positives i experienced the same day i started was unbelievable. No other supplement has ever had this dramatic of effect on everything from digestion, heartburn, elimination and gas to libido, stregth, fatigue and mood. I was feeling good becore but this is another level.

I highly suggest you order some today, get the twinlabs HCl with Pepsin.
    Yeah... I'm getting really impatient with the body fat, and I'm kind of adament not to put on more weight, which is probably not the right mentality at this point... I'm kind of forgetting what's supposed to happen as well - does the metabolism really rev up so that I can eat more in the future?

Anyway...! I found some HCl options for the UK - do you think any of them look alright?
    Buy Lamberts Health Care Betaine HCl 324mg /Pepsin 5mg from Lamberts
    Solgar Betaine Hydrochloride With Pepsin
    Betaine HCL + Pepsin - Maintain proper acidity levels in the digestive systems! :: Digestive Aid product :: Health Plus
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-25-2013 at 05:10 PM.

- Ray Peat

E.M.T.W.L

Entry Seventeen: By Any Other Name

This will have to be a quick one cos' I'm already writing it a day late...!

Sleep:
    12am - 6am. Not enough. Woke cos I was cold.

Food:

Today was a massive jump back up in cals, and unfortunately, my evening eating was driven by a binge mentality.

Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 14.03.38.jpg

I had a big breakfast, a decent lunch, but driving back from my sister's I started to get hungry but was stuck in the car for 2.5 hours. When I got back I ate curry, root veg puree, but I was really, really craving something sweet. I tried all my tricks: tea with sugar, fruit, spoons of honey, but I wanted chocolate. Eventually I caved and ate some but... I didn't binge on it. Only had six chocolates from a box. Maybe cos I was so full I couldn't fit any more in! Or maybe cos' my satiation receptors kicked in? Normally when I eat junk I have to eat a lot to get the chemical effect it gives me, but this time I definitely noticed that glazed, opiate feeling after just a few pieces. Ironically I wasn't even looking for that feeling.

I'm trying to understand what was driving me to binge. It wasn't for escapism. Was it physical? Or was it because subconsciously I'm trying to restrict what I can eat again? Not by much obviously, but I was delighted when my cals dropped into the 2000's. As I mentioned, being with my sister was quite triggering.

And at the end of the day:
    I'm not in bad form but... I am angry and frustrated. I'm really, really sick of being this weight. I feel like I'm rotting away. I need to start seeing some physical benefits soon.

PS. Appologies to people reading. Don't take my negativity too seriously - I don't. I recognise that I'm up and down. This journal is helping me to keep the downs in check, cos they are always followed by an up
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-13-2013 at 02:58 AM.

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Yea that Solger brand looks good.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yea that Solger brand looks good.
    Just ordered Thanks for all your help!

E.M.T.W.L

Entry Eighteen: Where does stretching end and shrinking begin?

Sleep:
    Monster sleep. 12.30am - 11.30am! I always sleep a lot after a binge. Had night sweats again.

Digestion:
    Healthy.

Food:
    I didn't get hungry today until quite late, and I just wasn't bothered forcing myself to eat. So my calories ended up being a lot lower than they have been.

Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 00.04.18.jpg

I didn't really get hungry til the evening, but then once I started eating I noticed I was restricting a bit. Part of me didn't want to eat the three potatoes on my plate, but another part of me was intentionally avoiding them. I initially only ate one, then I was honest and ate a second. I didn't want the third.

In fact, I'm starting to wonder how much of my eating is driven by thirst, and a craving for salt. Today I drank water with salt and lemon, and every glass was as good as a meal! Salt also seems to have as stimulating an effect on my thyroid as refined sugar: possibly even more. I had my last glass a few hours ago, and I can still feel sensation in my thyroid. (I know that sounds mad, but yeah: I literally feel how foods effect me).

Starting back on the ACV to see if that effects my stomach acid til I get the HCl tablets.

And at the end of the day:
    Not sure if I should have forced myself to eat more today, but I've been so hungry lately it felt wrong to eat when I wasn't feeling the rage of my appetite. I've been researching Low Stomach Acid and a few articles did say that it can cause a voracious appetite. But then again, its list of symptoms was pretty extensive

Ending this post with the same old hope that this experiment is going to change my inner landscape, and that this will effect my outward appearance. As within, so without.

And a quote from Bill Hicks, which has nothing to do with "Eating more to weigh less", but hey - I figure I need less food and more Bill in my life

a mind 073519327_n.jpg

bill 2_161829509_n.jpg
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-25-2013 at 05:12 PM.

- Ray Peat

Page 11 of 244 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast