Page 109 of 244 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 109

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah, I don't think it heals the thyroid. It's unclear to me if there's anything that actually heals the thyroid. You have to get to the underlying cause of your thyroid problems, which could be estrogen dominance in your case and probably mercury poisoning in mine (yikes--haha), and try to fix that.

I have mixed feelings about thyroid hormone supps myself. When I first saw that some people were taking dessicated glands, I was like, that's crazy, wtf. But then the more I read about and think about it, the more I want to try it. I mean, I've tried lots of things that are way worse and more dangerous so why not try this one. The Cytomel may be better because with those dessicated gland things, you don't know exactly what or how much you're taking. I'm thinking...start with a low dose, and what's the worst that could happen? I don't know. I haven't bought it yet though.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I agree with you! But family is interesting. You can break contact with a friend or lover, and you can forget about them. But while you can disown a family member, you will always be related to them, and think about them (and the fact that they're not with you) on important occasions. But what I was really thinking about was what it would feel like to be part of a "Clan". You know, a powerful family. People who come from those families have a ready-made identity... which is not without it's complications, but I imagine it would infuse you with a certain confidence...

THese days the family is so deconstructed, and I wonder if this contributes to social isolation later in life...
    I get what you're saying and I think a lot of people would agree. Maybe I'm just jaded by my own experiences with family or I just can't be tied down to people (that's probably it). But I absolutely do agree that tight knit bonds are invaluable. Families are deconstructed, parents don't sit down to dinner together anymore, etc. and I think that can be detrimental later on in life. I also think that current technologies (texting, IM, FB, etc) have a roll to play as well in social issues. People don't know how to talk to each other anymore.

Personally I am fond of the "it takes a village" mentality. Not that we should all belong to communes, but that we all shouldn't feel so detached from one another, reserve our efforts and energies for select people, etc.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I'm going to chime in here. As someone who has been to hormone hell and back I don't recommend taking hormones when there is not an established need. And as bad as doctors can be I don't think taking hormones without supervision/awareness is wise. I also think one has to give things time to settle down/improve after you've started one hormone.

Hormonal imbalance didn't happen overnight. And, experience has taught me getting things back in balance can take a while, be a bumping road, and requires education, tenacity and patience.

And YB, if memory serves me correctly your thyroid numbers showed both low "normal" for FT4 and FT3 with conversion being pretty good. I don't think I'd want to risk down regulating my present thyroid function by taking hormones that may be low because of other issues-- anemia, low vitamin D, too few calories/carb, liver function, low selenium....I also would not want to go hyPER.

Finally YB, progesterone or progestin, as Duphaston is, can have the following side effcects:
    depression
    loss of libido,
    increase appetite
    weight gain
    acne,
    bloating
    yeast problems
    lethargy
    backaches, fibromyalgia-like pain

List of side effects taken from Screaming To Be Heard by Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet MD

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I know, I'm a hypocrite cos I said to you a few weeks ago that I didn't agree with supplementing thyroid hormone when you are not hypo! If Cytomel healed the thyroid, as opposed to improving its function for as long as you take it I would be all over it, but I'm not sure that it does...

Derp?
    It does. Ray Peat actually took cynomel to heal his hyperthyroidism
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post

And YB, if memory serves me correctly your thyroid numbers showed both low "normal" for FT4 and FT3 with conversion being pretty good. I don't think I'd want to risk down regulating my present thyroid function by taking hormones that may be low because of other issues-- anemia, low vitamin D, too few calories/carb, liver function, low selenium....I also would not want to go hyPER.
    Yoga- Our thyroid situations are quite different. looking into the things marcadav suggested is a good idea.

Have you supplemented selenium? You could also add some iodine but only take it with selenium. You could try dandelion root tea to help detox the liver. I just started the tea back yesterday myself.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    That's interesting!

How do you think that worked? Maybe because the t3 took some pressure off the thyroid?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to chime in here. As someone who has been to hormone hell and back I don't recommend taking hormones when there is not an established need. And as bad as doctors can be I don't think taking hormones without supervision/awareness is wise. I also think one has to give things time to settle down/improve after you've started one hormone.

And YB, if memory serves me correctly your thyroid numbers showed both low "normal" for FT4 and FT3 with conversion being pretty good.
    Marcadav, thank you for the info! I wasn't going to start taking it immediately, but to try it maybe after my third month of Duphaston, if I still wasn't improving. But I think you're right. I'm practically 100% sure my thyroid is low cos' of the Oestrogen Dom, so it's better to deal with that and see if the thyroid corrects itself afterwards.

It was actually my t4 that was too low. I got it checked twice: the first time it was below the norm (11.6), the second time it was just above (12.4). Norm is 12 - 22. I can't remember my t3 exactly, but it was in the lower 20%.

I don't think I'd want to risk down regulating my present thyroid function by taking hormones that may be low because of other issues-- anemia, low vitamin D, too few calories/carb, liver function, low selenium....I also would not want to go hyPER.
    I didn't think of that... so basically supplementing with t3 causes the thyroid to slow down?

Finally YB, progesterone or progestin, as Duphaston is, can have the following side effcects:
    depression
    loss of libido,
    increase appetite
    weight gain
    acne,
    bloating
    yeast problems
    lethargy
    backaches, fibromyalgia-like pain

List of side effects taken from Screaming To Be Heard by Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet MD
    I read about those symptoms - they are all oestrogen ones! I think what might happen is that too low a dosage might cause a exasperation of oestrogen dominance, and then people blame it on the drug, as opposed to the dosage. I didn't notice anything last month when I took it, but the supplementation of Vitex is making a big difference this time!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    That's interesting!

How do you think that worked? Maybe because the t3 took some pressure off the thyroid?
    I second Brooke's question! Although I was on your journal earlier and jeeze louise... Dr. Derp! We'll have to start making appointments if we want our questions answered

Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    Yoga- Our thyroid situations are quite different. looking into the things marcadav suggested is a good idea.

Have you supplemented selenium? You could also add some iodine but only take it with selenium. You could try dandelion root tea to help detox the liver. I just started the tea back yesterday myself.
    I eat seaweed occasionally, but the thing is I never get the urge for it... usually my body tells me if I need something and then I'll have it. last Autumn I used to eat 200gs of Brazil nuts a day... I did feel pretty good when I was doing that, but then I got "Fear of PUFA". I don't know... I'm a bit skeptical of the iodine-seleum supplementation tbh. Don't know why!

I've heard dandelion tea is really good. Have you noticed any effect? I was taking milk thistle but wasn't feeling anything so I stopped.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

diene is offline Senior Member
    I drank dandelion tea religiously (basically, copious amounts of it) for a while. Didn't notice any effect. But it tastes pretty good, has a sort of nutty flavor.

I think I probably still have some. I should dig it out and make some jello with it. I'm obsessed with making tea jello now.

Edited to add: Like the "Fear cuts deeper than swords" quote in your sig. Meant to tell you yesterday but forgot. Think I'm developing early onset Alzheimer's.

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I drank dandelion tea religiously (basically, copious amounts of it) for a while. Didn't notice any effect. But it tastes pretty good, has a sort of nutty flavor.

I think I probably still have some. I should dig it out and make some jello with it. I'm obsessed with making tea jello now.

Edited to add: Like the "Fear cuts deeper than swords" quote in your sig. Meant to tell you yesterday but forgot. Think I'm developing early onset Alzheimer's.
    I would love to know what you're supposed to feel when you start taking something. I kind of think that if it's working you should notice some kind of difference straight away... I'm drinking raspberry tea for low progesterone and I definitely feel something when I drink it - it's sooo warming.

Haha - I had coffee jello earlier! It wasn't bad, actually.

YES. I love that quote. It's my current new life motto

- Ray Peat