Page 108 of 244 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158208 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 108

diene is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Here's something to put a smile on your face

Just watching that brings back the memories of how much I loved that cartoon! I would actually dream about flying through the sky on little ponies... Did you happen to like horse riding too?!
    Awww...I LOVED that! I've only gone riding twice, and it was part of those tours you can do in Mexico so it's not even *real* horseback riding. But, yeah, I loved it.

Haha - what did your mum find?! I remember the feeling of complete panic when my mum nearly found my cigarettes. I was 14, and I'd hidden them in my pink knitting bag (...when two world's collide). She was going through my wardrobe right in front of me and started to pull out bag and in total desperation I pulled it off her and just held it to my chest. Luckily I'd also hidden a t-shirt I'd bought without her consent in there, so when she made me open the bag I just showed her that... After that I started hiding my cigs in the garden

But for me the worst thing about her looking through my drawers was that it wasn't out of paranoia - it was cos' she believed that, as her child, I didn't deserve any privacy. She was so controlling. And unlike you I kept getting into relationships with really controlling guys til I finally saw the light.
    Oh, my mom found things that prompted her to threaten to call the cops on me. It's not cool to do that to your kid. But my friend's dad actually called the cops on him once so I guess I should be thankful that my mom only threatened. Oh, parents!

Yeah, I'm not sure if my mom thought I deserved privacy or not. Probably not, but it never came up. And I don't recall her looking through my room until I was older, and she had stuff to look for. Not sure why so many parents have this idea that they don't need to treat their kids like human beings just because they're their kids...as if they think they own you cuz you're their kid!

The relationship I'm in now is the first one with a controlling guy, but it's also been my longest relationship. So if you go by number of years, I don't know, it's pretty bad.

It all depends if you are sedentary out of fearfulness, or because you want to put down roots! Some people are Oaks, and some are Dandelion seeds that need to drift awhile before finding a place to grow. But some people are nomads out of fear too, so both extremes can be bad.
    I guess I'm pretty Oak-like. I don't really like change, which is unfortunate and boring!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    It's too bad when parents and children are nothing alike - it makes parenting a lot more difficult. My mom and I are similar in many ways - especially in how we approach bigger issues - and we are extremely close. We talk to each other almost daily either on the phone or through email or chat. But there is a fuzzy line between parent and friend and it's easy to mix up and confuse. My mom is a worryer by nature and I often feel like she's overstepping her bounds in terms of keeping tabs on me. For instance, we got into an argument a few months ago when I was going to take an all-day hike with a handful of friends. She wanted one of their numbers in case something happened or whatnot. It caught me off guard and reminded me of my years leading up to leaving for university when I would have to call her almost every hour that I was away from her else she'd freak out and believe me to be abducted / murdered / raped (hopefully in that order). I ended up getting unnecessarily short with her and she reminded me that "this is just what mothers do." But I digress...

She and my sister have less in common / more superficial things in common (they both like sports, watch the same shows, etc.) and are still very close but not as much as we are. She'd rather spend extended amounts of time with me than my sister, we have much more meaningful conversations than she does with my sister, etc.
    That's cool you have that! I feel lucky cos I get on really well with my siblings. I could literally talk to either of them for hours and hours: my sister is my rock, and my little brother is my rock-out

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Awww...I LOVED that!

I guess I'm pretty Oak-like. I don't really like change, which is unfortunate and boring!
    There's nothing like a blast from the past! It made me feel all gooey inside

When I think of Oak people, I think of families in "Game of Thrones": putting down roots to leave a legacy / grow stronger. If you feel staying in one place is boring then you're probably not an Oak It sounds to me like you're stuck. I'm stuck too, if it's any consolation! I just deal with being stuck by continually running away / moving around.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    That's cool you have that! I feel lucky cos I get on really well with my siblings. I could literally talk to either of them for hours and hours: my sister is my rock, and my little brother is my rock-out
    That's great! As long as you have those kinds of people in your life it doesn't really matter "who" they are. As an aside I think family is what you make it, anyway. I refer to many people as family who are not actually blood related to me. And there are certain people who are my blood relatives that I don't refer to as family. I don't buy into blood.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    That is a beautiful way of putting it

Great picture of you and Ombat btw. I've never seen such great looking headless folks
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Hehe, yup, stuck is a good way to describe me. Oh no, when I lived in the Bay Area, I rarely ever left (rarely even went on trips), and I never felt it was boring. It's just "boring" in the sense that, I think (society thinks?) that people who are all into moving around, traveling around the world, living in different places, etc. are more interesting because they get to experience different things--places, cultures, adventures, and always have good stories to tell.

That's great! As long as you have those kinds of people in your life it doesn't really matter "who" they are. As an aside I think family is what you make it, anyway. I refer to many people as family who are not actually blood related to me. And there are certain people who are my blood relatives that I don't refer to as family. I don't buy into blood.
    I'm thinking a lot lately about this idea of "The Clan", which is dying out in our society, where most people now value friendship over family. I wonder if it makes people feel better / stronger to know that they're part of a network that can't be broken. I mean, people can disown each other, but blood ties people in a different way...

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    That is a beautiful way of putting it

Great picture of you and Ombat btw. I've never seen such great looking headless folks
    Haha! Double-headed thanks

Hehe, yup, stuck is a good way to describe me. Oh no, when I lived in the Bay Area, I rarely ever left (rarely even went on trips), and I never felt it was boring. It's just "boring" in the sense that, I think (society thinks?) that people who are all into moving around, traveling around the world, living in different places, etc. are more interesting because they get to experience different things--places, cultures, adventures, and always have good stories to tell.
    I think it's become one of those stupid clichés that people feel like they need to tick off the list in order to have "lived". Trust me, so many people who go travelling just do it because other people are doing it, and the adventure factor is pretty limited.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to stay in one place and enjoy it! If I was born in California I really doubt I would travel as much as I do.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Progesterone

I had a Eureka moment today!

I got up this morning, and after a few hours, "the blackness" began to descend on me. "The blackness" is basically a depressed feeling that intensifies into despair and physical paralysis.

I was surprised at the strength to which it came over me, because I haven't felt that bad in a few months, but it completely consumed me, and I got lost in negativity and exhaustion.

Yesterday I started my second course of Duphaston (my progesterone supplement). My last course of treatment was... meh. My period lasted longer and was heavier, but other than that, it felt weird. I actually commented in my journal at the time that it felt like my body was fighting the drug. I gained a lot of weight in the space of three weeks, and had an increase in appetite, but it literally felt like everything I ate was being turned into fat. Like my metabolism had suddenly down regulated.

Yesterday I read that supplementing progesterone can actually make estrogen symptoms much worse - if the dosage is too low.

Today, in addition to Duphaston, I took Vitex. WOAH. I couldn't believe it. INSTANT change of mood, energy, and appetite. For the first time in weeks I didn't have two huge meals and a snack: actually, all I wanted was fruit.

I'm still tired from the jet lag, but the fire within me was reignited for most of the afternoon. I haven't felt that fire in ages. Like... months.

I'm guessing that the dosage of Duphaston was too low, and it caused an oestrogen increase, which caused weight gain, and when I started taking it again it triggered an oestrogen surge which caused my black mood. Interesting to see where this goes!

I'm also thinking to use progesterone cream (I've heard it helps wrinkles) aaaand... I'm thinking of using a little bit of T3. I'm not sure about the T3 though, as I'm sure my issue is with the female sex hormones, and the low thyroid is a consequence of that, not the other way around. What do you guys think?

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking a lot lately about this idea of "The Clan", which is dying out in our society, where most people now value friendship over family. I wonder if it makes people feel better / stronger to know that they're part of a network that can't be broken. I mean, people can disown each other, but blood ties people in a different way...
    I don't necessarily agree with this. If you have blood that you happen to love, then yes, it can be a great bond to share. I am not discounting the value or benefits of family, but I don't understand why we can't be loyal to the people we love regardless of what womb they popped out of. I am of the opinion that people should deserve to be loved and looked out for. I know that sounds harsh, but I don't have time for arbitrary commitments. Also there are plenty of families that disown each other.

All the hormone stuff sounds so complicated. I wish I had knowledge or advice to share with you. I think low thyroid can cause hormone imbalance, so I don't know how to discern which preceded the other.

I think that it may take some time for your sex hormones to normalize. You might need to play with the dosage--trial and error, like you're doing now. In the meantime, perhaps a low dose of T3 will help you if you're feeling impatient. I don't know. I'm feeling impatient right now, and perhaps I'm projecting it onto others...I'm thinking about supplementing with T3. I might start with just half a tablet a day and see what, if anything, it does.

I don't necessarily agree with this. If you have blood that you happen to love, then yes, it can be a great bond to share. I am not discounting the value or benefits of family, but I don't understand why we can't be loyal to the people we love regardless of what womb they popped out of. I am of the opinion that people should deserve to be loved and looked out for. I know that sounds harsh, but I don't have time for arbitrary commitments. Also there are plenty of families that disown each other.
    I agree with you! But family is interesting. You can break contact with a friend or lover, and you can forget about them. But while you can disown a family member, you will always be related to them, and think about them (and the fact that they're not with you) on important occasions. But what I was really thinking about was what it would feel like to be part of a "Clan". You know, a powerful family. People who come from those families have a ready-made identity... which is not without it's complications, but I imagine it would infuse you with a certain confidence...

THese days the family is so deconstructed, and I wonder if this contributes to social isolation later in life...

All the hormone stuff sounds so complicated. I wish I had knowledge or advice to share with you. I think low thyroid can cause hormone imbalance, so I don't know how to discern which preceded the other.
    Thanks Well, because my fem sex horms are so much worse than my thyroid, I'm guessing this is the root of the problem. Oest Dominance can cause hypothyroidism... So I'm thinking that if I just take progesterone my thyroid will balance out...

I think that it may take some time for your sex hormones to normalize. You might need to play with the dosage--trial and error, like you're doing now. In the meantime, perhaps a low dose of T3 will help you if you're feeling impatient. I don't know. I'm feeling impatient right now, and perhaps I'm projecting it onto others...I'm thinking about supplementing with T3. I might start with just half a tablet a day and see what, if anything, it does.
    I know, I'm a hypocrite cos I said to you a few weeks ago that I didn't agree with supplementing thyroid hormone when you are not hypo! If Cytomel healed the thyroid, as opposed to improving its function for as long as you take it I would be all over it, but I'm not sure that it does...

Derp?

- Ray Peat