Page 104 of 244 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 104

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Yogabare if you and ombat decide to take BART to Oakland you'll want to get off at the Rockridge station, it's on College Ave. College runs from Berkeley to Oakland, with UC Berkeley on one end and California College of Arts (my alma mater) on the other end. It is a very long street, you'll probably want to walk in the Berkeley direction, though right around the BART station is pretty interesting too. If you want any more tips about the area let me know.

Oakland is a very big city and quite spread out you definitely do not want to get off BART in downtown and walk to the Rockridge area, it's pretty far and goes through some rough neighborhoods and some parts that are just plain boring.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I second the Rockridge recommendation.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Yogabare if you and ombat decide to take BART to Oakland you'll want to get off at the Rockridge station, it's on College Ave. College runs from Berkeley to Oakland, with UC Berkeley on one end and California College of Arts (my alma mater) on the other end.
    My daughter considered, and we toured, California College of Arts as well as SFAI. In the end she chose Pacific Northwest College of Art in Portland.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    My daughter considered, and we toured, California College of Arts as well as SFAI. In the end she chose Pacific Northwest College of Art in Portland.
    Portland is probably a great place to go to school. My husband graduated from SFAI, we met at CCA but then he transferred to Art Institute so I know both schools. He later got an MFA from Berkeley so I got at taste of their art department too.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Portland is probably a great place to go to school. My husband graduated from SFAI, we met at CCA but then he transferred to Art Institute so I know both schools. He later got an MFA from Berkeley so I got at taste of their art department too.
    My other daughter, art daughter's twin, considered Berkeley and we toured there. She decided on Willamette University in OR. She didn't like OR and after a year went back to CA, graduating from UC San Diego.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the CA suggestions guys! I'm not getting to SF til lunch time tomorrow, so me and the Bat are just meeting for dinner in the Mission, but hopefully I'll be able to implement all your suggestions when I'm back in Autumn

Fear and Loathing (well, maybe just fear) in Las Vegas

Last night, after my evening meal, I really, really wanted to binge.

I sometimes get this feeling after certain kinds of food, which leads me to think it's a blood sugar issue (I used to be hypoglycaemic). Last night I had cous cous for the first time in forever / it may have had MSG in it.

Happy days, the feeling was easily diverted. I never would have been able to say that four months ago: usually when I got "the feeling", it would consume me. Last night, I drank some coconut water, Perrier, had some watermelon, and went to bed.

But I couldn't sleep. Thoughts raced through my head, my body burned up, and I lay tossing and turning until 7am, imagining conversations with people about things that were bugging me. By dawn it was as though my worries had been exorcised, and I finally drifted off.

I had an "emotional" day yest, so this could have contributed... but I'm inclined to think it was my evening meal. I haven't experienced that kind of insomnia in a few years (my type was not being able to stay asleep): the last time I did was after a Thai meal which was probably laden with MSG. Smoking dope also does it to me, but I stopped doing that a few years ago too.

Anyway, weirdly I had a nose bleed for a portion of today too, which never happens to me.

Food and stuff
    My trip is over in two days. For the last two weeks I've eaten quite differently to how I normally eat, and it's had an impact.

Firstly, I went low carb. That lasted about two days before I remembered I was an idiot to experiment with it when I have a dodgy thyroid

Nonetheless, I did end up eating much more fish, meat, fat, and salads than I would ever eat at home, and only ate fruit once a day / once every two days. I didn't use any (additional) salt or refined sugar. Most days I only ate twice a day, but it was two "dinner" portions.

Conclusions:

- I gained weight. I'm heavier now than I've ever been: even including the E.A.T n=1, when I was eating up to 5k cals a day. Excess fat and meat are not my friend? Ombat, you're going to see a tubby bear! (Disclaimer: I'm totally kidding, I know I'm not "tubby" etc. etc.)

- Salads are not a low fat option for me. They sit in my stomach and I can't digest them properly. I read before that if you've got a weak thyroid, eating salad is like throwing a wet towel on a fire. They weren't a part of my diet prior to this trip, and that was a good thing.

- My skin looks brighter and more dewy with less salt in my diet.

- My pee was really clear for the whole trip. Attributing this to the lower salt intake, but also assuming this isn't a good

- Ketosis is interesting but

- Fruit is the most amazing invention known to man.

In general though: I feel pretty good right now. I have lots of energy: more than i did high carb. Maybe it's cos' I'm getting more calories? Maybe it's cos' a more balanced macronutrient breakdown suits me?

I don't know. But I do know that I'm working on accepting being a higher weight if it makes me feel good, and being prepared to exercise more.

PS. Out of necessity, I had two sandwiches today. Oh my god - American bread is so sweet! How do you people eat it? (Okay, not "you").
    Last edited by YogaBare; 06-22-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I think that if you're gluten intolerant, it can do a lot of weird shit to you, including the symptoms you experienced. Also, do you think this added weight is an inflammatory response to you not eating well, eating enough, etc.? You said you were only eating in the evening some days? Have you read the IF horror stories on Stefani Ruper's website?

Traveling is rough. You do not eat what you would usually eat, when youd usually eat it, theres stress, etc. I hope you can sort things out once you get home. But not until you see meeeee!!
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I think that if you're gluten intolerant, it can do a lot of weird shit to you, including the symptoms you experienced. Also, do you think this added weight is an inflammatory response to you not eating well, eating enough, etc.? You said you were only eating in the evening some days? Have you read the IF horror stories on Stefani Ruper's website?

Traveling is rough. You do not eat what you would usually eat, when youd usually eat it, theres stress, etc. I hope you can sort things out once you get home. But not until you see meeeee!!
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm definitely eating enough though - I think the problem is that my metabolism just isn't that well able to deal with such rich (fat) food. And yeah, probably a lot of additives as well. We all gained weight though, and actually I'm really just working on the acceptance aspect from now on. I'm trying to look in the mirror and not see the extra weight as fat. I wanted to find my natural weight, and who knows - maybe this is it.

And I know this is all part of a journey too...

Haven't read those IF stories...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    The comments are here: http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shatter...he-literature/

Havent read them in a while and they might be different symptoms than youre experiencin but I think they are all indicative of lowered thyroid / metabolic function.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    The comments are here: Paleo for Women | Shattering the Myth of Fasting for Women: A Review of Female-Specific Responses to Fasting in the Literature

Havent read them in a while and they might be different symptoms than youre experiencin but I think they are all indicative of lowered thyroid / metabolic function.
    Wow- enlightening. Thanks!

- Ray Peat