Page 101 of 244 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2434

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 101

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Hey YB! Glad your trip is going so amazingly. Interesting to hear about "outside" perspectives on Americans. I wonder how Bostonians compare to West coasters.

A couple inquiries: how's the bloating now? What is the treatment you are doing for progesterone? When I was tested with low progesterone, I was told to just take Vitex for a few months at least, then revisit based on PMS symptoms. PMS symptoms improved, then returned, so I'm taking Vitex again until I sort out why my body is not producing enough.
    I've spent time in Boston, and there is definitely a difference, but in my experience Americans are generally deep and insightful people. Obviously that's a big generalisation and it depends on education / class / intelligence, but I'm comparing people from Europe and American who are roughly the same demographic as me.

The bloating is still there... I'm starting to think that it's partially weight gain

Is Vitex available over the counter here? maybe I'll just pick some up... I'm on Duphaston.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I lived in the Bay Area for about 10yrs; 1 in SF and 9 in the East Bay. I love visiting SF but for living I prefer the EB. The weather is better in the EB and it's cheaper, and like you said more Boho. There are a lot of cool things happening in Oakland, folks are more scrappy and less conventional.

SF has gotten very expensive so getting a place to live is highly competitive. Unless you have a lot of money you can end up living in a drafty cold apartment off the beat and track in a very boring part of the city. But you've lived in London so you're probably used to having to hustle a bit to get what you want. Honestly you have to be ready to hustle in the EB too, for work and housing because there are so many colleges and universities there's a glut of educated and qualified folks.

Portland is a city I would consider living in, it's comparable to SF but more mellow. Plus it has a lot of great outdoor stuff to do, lots of walking and biking trails. Oregon in general feels like it has more to offer it's residents; in Ca. if you have money it's great, in Oregon even if you don't have much money you can still have a good time.

I have zero interest in gambling!
    Thanks for all the info! I'm well used to hustling lol. But I've found that you can live cheaply anywhere, once you know the drill. I'm lucky to be getting insider info from people in the know

I've heard great things about Portland. One foot in front of the other and see where I end up

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Yogabare, when my daughter was looking at colleges she was set on SF. I was moving back to Oregon(from San Diego) after they (twins) graduated from high school. I wanted the girls to, at least, look at one school in the state. They agreed.

The SF daughter was adamant about not living in OR until she toured the school here. She knew it was the right fit. She has lived in Portland for almost 5 years now. She is a communication designer and into ballet and aerial silks.
    I have a good friend from there and I've always been interested in visiting. Where are you living now Marcadav?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Vitex (or "chasteberry") is available at health food stores and supplement shops. The Vitamin Shoppe is a chain that carries it, Whole Foods has it too.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You say the sweetest things <3
    What can I say, baby? I have a way with words.

It sounds like Oakland might be the place for me. Apparently it's cheaper, more boho, and five degrees warmer than SF! Ombat, do you fancy taking the BART out there when we meet up??
    You might want to rethink that... There are only a few parts of Oakland that aren't dangerous and those parts are expensive to live in. I think the people in Oakland might be your cup of tea, but honestly I wouldn't risk living there even considering the resurgence it might be undergoing at this time. We can go see it if you like, though. Maybe it has gotten better?

Regarding your dad's habits, what is his health like? Is he heavy? I wonder if he has malabsorption problems too :P I kind of laughed at that putting me out to pasture comment... Sorry. But it does sound kind of serious

Regarding your habits, I'm glad to see that you're continuing to feel little anxiety towards food. Yes I wonder if the less we eat, the more our metabolism downregulates, the less hungry we get, etc. until you're barely using any energy. Hrm

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    This is suspension. I haven't done it myself, but I would love to -- I just haven't found the right rigging crew and/or had the time/money to do it.

I like Portland and Seattle as well. Though honestly, all three towns are like Wellington, but wellington is smaller. Of course, Wellington is also really expensive. lol

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=YogaBare;1224302]

So I met a bunch of Friscans over the last few days. I'm 100% sure that this is my place. Americans are so easy to get on with. I love that I was at a party last night, and no one had their iPhone out (except my dad). I love that Americans aren't afraid to have meaningful, interesting conversations at the drop of a hat.

I'm glad you are having such a great time! I think the openness of people has much to do with location and also how cultured the people are. I live in a small city and rarely do people just strike up conversations so easily. But when I go into Nashville, it doesn't matter if I'm in Wholefoods or in line at a coffee shop people just tend to start talking to me. Maybe I'm more open in that city, maybe a bit friendlier. That's the city I love and I've cried leaving there numerous times.... and it's only an about an hour away! It's crazy the difference an hour can make. Though, I am in a town with a bunch of country bumpkins! haha
    I'm seeing my dad in a new light on this trip. I always knew he was a binger, but I'm bowled over by his methodology. He eats in public the way someone with an ED with eat in private: stuffing food into his cake hole as though it's about to vanish and he'll never eat again.

I always thought that was a male thing. That guys just don't care if other people see them stuff their faces the way women do.
    One thing is for sure: I no longer binge. AAAND I'm able to leave food on my plate now (But I have a huge appetite, so it doesn't happen very often )
    [QUOTE]

So happy for you! I've been reading your journal from the beginning and it's very eye opening.

PUFA!!! lol

I didn't do the quotations right... I'll figure it out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Vitex (or "chasteberry") is available at health food stores and supplement shops. The Vitamin Shoppe is a chain that carries it, Whole Foods has it too.
    Hey namelesswonder! I haven't had a period in over 2 years. In 2 months I'll be able to get some lab work done but until then I wonder if Vitex would help me?

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    ^Really can't say. If you have low progesterone, I'm sure it would help. I think it would probably be best to know for sure before messing around, but then again, it's not very expensive.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Where are you living now Marcadav?
    I live about 40 miles south of Portland, where I grew up. I spent the day with my daughter in Portland and told her about my post to you.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Have you read this? Vitamin E: Estrogen antagonist, energy promoter, and anti-inflammatory. May want to look into supplementing vitamin E while still trying to get estrogen dominance under control.

Also... FOUR DAYS! *squeals*