Thread: High Blood Pressure can't figure out why! advice? page

b.good is offline Junior Member

High Blood Pressure can't figure out why! advice?

Hey folks,

I'm a 22 year old male from San Diego. I have been primal for about two years. I'm 6'2" 195 lbs. and pretty darn lean (not sure I think about 10% b.f.). I have had elevated blood pressure for the past few years and I can't figure out why! For a while it was down to normal so I stopped checking it. I recently started checking it again and I've been averaging around 145/80! Not Cool!

Other Info: I am very active. I lift weights about 3-4x a week, and I surf and snowboard often. My diet is pretty on point. I eat lots of meat,veggies, eggs, avocados, and cultured and/or grass-fed dairy. For carbs I get an estimated 150g a day or so from potatoes, yogurt, and fruit. I also have 1-2 beers each night (I'm 22). I was drinking too much coffee for a while, so I quit and that doesnt seem to have been the issue. Also, I do not eat an excessive amount of sodium and get plenty of potassium. Also I get a full 9 or so hours of sleep most nights.

If anyone has any ideas/tips/pointers as to reasons why I might have high blood pressure and/or what I can do to get it down that would be great! I have an appointment with my doc in a couple weeks. Also any insight as to wether or not its a good idea to take meds for this would be appreciated.

THANKS

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Stress, salts and carbs are the things I think of that raise blood pressure.

Sorry I can't be more helpful since my BP went from 160/100 to 145/80. Isn't it the diastolic pressure that matters anyway?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b.good View Post
    145/80! Not Cool!
    145 is a bit high, did you take it not long after exercise? 80 is actually OK as it's just at the top end of the normal range. I did read somewhere that it is the second (80) number that is more important but I can't recall where.

Try taking it first thing in the morning when you wake up, keeping the BP monitor by your bed and making sure that it is at the same level as your heart. Beer/alcohol can have an effect on BP, so it might be an idea to give it up for a few days and see if that affects the reading.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

FiveX is offline Member
    Howdy b.good,
    I'm an older dude 52 and have been pretty active my whole life. However, my blood pressure in December 2012 was 145/95! It's seems for the last several years it has been creeping up. Yesterday morning it was 108/66. What helped me (unfortunately?) was giving up my beautiful pacific northwest microbrews (several/day +/-) and a lifestyle change in eating. I've kept carbs around >50g since then and have also lost weight which I'm sure has helped.

Sounds like you're in great shape and eat/sleep well so maybe drop the brew for awhile? Also relax and enjoy life, which I'm sure is easier said than done at a young age! I think it's great that you're addressing this sooner than later! Good luck, Peace...5x

b.good is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your input guys. Ill try dropping the beer out and see if that helps.

Anyone have any advice on whether or not to take b.p. meds if all else fails?

Tea and Cake is offline Junior Member
    Do you have a family history of hypertension? I do and sometimes we are at the mercy of our genes. I've been on meds since I was late 20s (female, now 52) and despite loads of investigations (kidneys, heart etc) the docs can't find a reason, guess I just don't have enough veins for my blood volume! However my dad did have a severe stroke at the age of 40 so I'm pleased it was at least discovered early as the consequences are not pretty. My high was 160/120. I take a low dose of ACE inhibitor which for me have no side-effects and I'm very stable now at around 100/75. If you do have to take meds evetually for goodness sake avoid beta-blockers, they are evil for anyone active. Incidentally, I get my lowest readings after half a bottle of good red. ;-D

Derpamix is offline Senior Member

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    I am 53 and have had a tendency to have high blood pressure since I was your age. At 24 my blood pressure was 150/90. What I found that made the biggest impact on lowing my numbers has always been cardio. I have been cycling (road bike) on and off since then and so went my blood pressure. Lower when cycling (125/70), higher when not(135/85).

Right now I am not cycling because of the weather and I hate riding the trainer so my blood pressure is 135/80. I'm considering trying a daily baby aspirin. I'm pretty sure that will work (only taken at night, taken in the morning actually elevates BP) but I'm not sure I want to medicate to affect a symptom.

Good Luck
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post
    I'm considering trying a daily baby aspirin.
    Maybe you shouldn't do that.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right