Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mathieu Lalonde PhD Nutrient Density page

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

Mathieu Lalonde PhD Nutrient Density

Primal Fuel
    He gave this talk at the 2012 AHS. I have heard it referenced on several occasion, but this is the first time I've seen it out on the interwebs for free:

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Not sure whether Legume agiriculure is sustaintable? Legumes are powerhouses that are great for the environment.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    That's a great lecture. I hope he (or someone) does more work on that database so that in the future we can use it.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    He gave this talk at the 2012 AHS. I have heard it referenced on several occasion, but this is the first time I've seen it ...
    To be frank I think Jack Kruse pretty much holed this presentation under the waterline.

Jack can be abrasive and is certainly a maverick, but I think this he was right here:

When someone uses the FDA and USDA massive databases to look at foods with the highest nutrient densities to make large assumptions what is best and what is not, you might be smart to begin to question if that is a wise assumption to begin with. ...
    BRAIN GUT 12: DARE TO DISAGREE? | Living an Optimized Life

The point being that you have understand the species in question and what its specific needs are. With humans that means what the brain needs. This isn't something Jack himself has dreamed up, but is coming out of some very solid and interesting work by people who specialize in brain chemistry and in the evolution of the human brain. Here's one of the key texts -- for those who can afford it:

Survival of the Fattest: The Key to Human Brain Evolution: Stephen C. Cunnane: 9789812561916: Amazon.com: Books

Paleobird Guest
    LaLonde wasn't saying the RDA was correct, he was just using it as a basis for comparison. E.g. if one food gives you 54% of the RDA for some nutrient and another gives you 24%, then you know where you stand in comparing the two.

It would be great to have a real, comprehensive and correct list of "RDAs" (Primal style) but, until that happens, you work with what you have.

I think LaLondes presentations was excellent

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think LaLondes presentations was excellent
    Agreed. Although, I think that the 'per calorie' factor for nutrient density is superior, since 'per 100g' penalises foods with water weight. It does a great job of showing how nutritious organ meats and herbs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    TThe point being that you have understand the species in question and what its specific needs are. With humans that means what the brain needs. This isn't something Jack himself has dreamed up, but is coming out of some very solid and interesting work by people who specialize in brain chemistry and in the evolution of the human brain.
    I think you're wrong here. Most mammals have a surprisingly similar overall nutrient requirement, whether carnivore, herbivore or omnivore. The key point of difference is how our digestion works to turn what we ingest into nutrients for our body.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Agreed. Although, I think that the 'per calorie' factor for nutrient density is superior, since 'per 100g' penalises foods with water weight. It does a great job of showing how nutritious organ meats and herbs are.
    Actually he does take into account water weight at the end of the lecture and the only significant change is that legumes make a pretty good jump up the list. The rest keep same order as far as whole category placement is concerned.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Actually he does take into account water weight at the end of the lecture and the only significant change is that legumes make a pretty good jump up the list. The rest keep same order as far as whole category placement is concerned.
    Yes, I thought that was interesting too. Still not eating beans though.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes, I thought that was interesting too. Still not eating beans though.
    I think I'm definitely a little more agnostic now on them than I was before seeing that.

Properly prepared beans (i.e. soaked for a day or more) should still be fine, and they did score pretty highly in terms of nutrients.

And 'nachos' without the chips (chilli, mince, kidney beans, sour cream and cheese) still taste pretty damn awesome.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast