Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing this wrong? page

suzyq is offline Junior Member

Am I doing this wrong?

Shop Now
    I have been doing Body weight exercises and while when I am doing squats my legs get fatigued and sore by the time I get to 40 or 50, however the next day my legs are not sore at all. I am wondering if I am working them hard enough my guess is no. However if I do squats everyday by the 4th or 5th day the number of reps I am able to do plummets and I thought about using dumbbells to add resistance but I can't get through 50 without muscle fatigue now. I am not understanding how I can do squats till I can barely walk down stairs and the next day it's feels like I didn't workout at all. Any help or explanations or suggestions I would greatly appreciate.

neilc11 is online now Senior Member
    If you're following the Ebook, primal fitness moves, then it's only scheduled 2 Xs a week, 3 tops, ya gotta rest and recover some.
    If you're doing something else then see line above.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Soreness (or lack thereof) the day after doesn't actually tell you anything.

Your muscle rebuilds during rest periods. This is just as important as the workout that you do. You will get burned out doing strength workouts every day.

Maybe.. I didn't explain this right. I am only doing squats 3X a week. I am going to the point where I can't do anymore and for a couple hours after my workout my legs feel shaky. However, the next day I have no muscle soreness at all. If I am working a muscle group to that point of fatigue I do not understand how the next day I have no soreness. I am assuming I am not working hard enough as I don't seem to be making any progress in the amount of reps I can do. I have tried doing squats everyday and that didn't work and I have tried every 3 days instead of every other but the amount of reps I can do goes down. When I first started the next day I my legs were sore but I was progressing in the amount of reps I could do.

how's the diet ?
    sounds like you recover ok, but don't have the staying power during

or maybe we should back up a bit,

age?
    weight (+/-)?
    not sure height matters unless it's all legs ,,, ?
    general fitness ?
    (you may need more, or less, rest, pending on effort)

per the book,
    I do the 2 pbf / week(2 days off walkin between pbf), and the sprint,
    after the pbfs I too feel tired, heavy / shakey, but generally good the next day,
    I think the night's sleep helps,
    I walk the days between,
    with the 2 resting walk days, I am generally ready for the next workout.

OK normal diet for me is
    Breakfast : a giant coffee with about 1/2 cup of half and half and some stevia
    Lunch: 4 cups of greens w/ about 3/4 to 1 cup of chicken breast or ham and ranch or blue cheese dressing (1/8 to 1/4 cup)
    Dinner: Normally 4 to 5 oz of meat and 1+ cup of some vege with butter some times about 1/2 a small potato

age 32
    weight about 100 lbs more than it should be for my height which is 5 ft 1in
    general fitness ??? IDK can't be that great but I can go up a flight of stairs without getting winded, I can carry a full case of paper to my work area without any problems, I can do about 10 girl pushups no real ones, I sit most of the day at work and workout right before bed, I take meds for my thyroid because it is under active. Does this help? Thank you.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    here's my experience.

I have finally settled on YAYOG after trying PBF, simplefit and convict conditioning. My legs have always been my good section, with the 3 protocols i tried i could smash through the leg exercises with ease. So any way I started the "basic conditioning" protocol of YAYOG this week and it was my legs that got major DOMS , i was quite surprised as i only settled on the basic protocol because of my weaker upperbody. I think it was all the Romanian deadlifts, and the back and side lunges that got me. Anyway I am suitably impressed with YAYOG and I reckon you could probably benefit from the same thing I did.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Quote Originally Posted by suzyq View Post
    OK normal diet for me is
    Breakfast : a giant coffee with about 1/2 cup of half and half and some stevia
    Lunch: 4 cups of greens w/ about 3/4 to 1 cup of chicken breast or ham and ranch or blue cheese dressing (1/8 to 1/4 cup)
    Dinner: Normally 4 to 5 oz of meat and 1+ cup of some vege with butter some times about 1/2 a small potato

age 32
    weight about 100 lbs more than it should be for my height which is 5 ft 1in
    general fitness ??? IDK can't be that great but I can go up a flight of stairs without getting winded, I can carry a full case of paper to my work area without any problems, I can do about 10 girl pushups no real ones, I sit most of the day at work and workout right before bed, I take meds for my thyroid because it is under active. Does this help? Thank you.
    So workin out just before bed,
    it's been a long day you may just be tired,
    how's a Saturday or Sunday morning workout go ?

and if carrying that extra 100# you don't want,
    you ARE maximizing your effort doing squats, or pushups,
    40 - 50 squats is definately more than a flight of stairs, with or without that carton of paper,,,
    give this some time, as you build musckles, you burn fat,
    as weight drops, your reps get easier and increase,
    How long have you been at this ?

now I gotta throw in a disclaimer,
    I aint no expert here, excercise or diet,
    others may join in on diet but i'll ask,
    what's that calorie count ?
    and macro ratios ?
    you may not be eating enough (?), starvation mode vs weight loss vs energy levels ,,,
    careful with the salad dressing, weight wise,
    try switchin to olive oils and vinegars, but watch the vinegars too, sugar in there as well,

Thanks for the reply. This is the second time I have got to this point and couldn't go any further. I started around Thanksgiving and got to this point couldn't progress then pulled my back/hip muscle doing something unrelated. Had to start all over about a month later. This go around has been about 6 weeks. Weekend mornings not really an option right before bed is normally the only time I have to myself and even then sometimes I get interrupted for stupid crap.

About the diet, I have no idea what my calorie count is I eat when I am hungry and do my best to make sure it is more primal than not. I just gave an example of an average day for me but that isn't to say there aren't days were I eat a pound of greens fried with 1/2 a pound of bacon or days were I skip one meal because I am just not hungry. I know the salad dressing is sort of an issue working on that. I am losing weight reasonably in my opinion about 1 or 2 pounds per week normally. So not really concerned about my weight loss more my inability to progress my strength and endurance.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    DOMS is not an indicator that you've worked a muscle. Once you're relatively used to a training protocol, you shouldn't get sore. Keep progressing, stop worrying about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast