Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just another "no weight loss" thread

Hybrid View

Just another "no weight loss" thread

Hi all.
    New to this way of eating.
    42 year old female, 160cms short (5 foot 2 inches), 87 kilos (191 pounds). Have no known food intolerances. Obviously need to lose at least 20 kilos.
    Cut out all processed carbs and sugar 4 weeks ago. Lost 3 kilos first week, 1kg second week, absolutely nothing in the last 2 weeks.
    Breakfast consists of either eggs (1x fried or 2x scrambled) and bacon or a banana smoothie (milk, banana and greek yoghurt). Sometimes I will also have a small bowl of raspberries and greek yoghurt if I don't feel satisfied.
    Lunch is salad and protein (ham, salmon, chicken etc).
    Afternoon snack if hungry is usually 6-8 nuts (cashews, macadamias, pistachios) and some cheese.
    Dinner is salad or veges plus protein (steak, chicken, fish etc.). Sometimes I will have a small bowl of raspberries and greek yoghurt after dinner if I don't feel satisfied.
    I don't usually feel hungry between meals, sugar cravings are mostly gone, am in ketosis (as per the pee stick things). I do track my calories intermittently and average between 1200-1400 calories a day, 60-70% fat, around 30% protein and 5% carbs.
    I must admit to having a mostly sedentary life except for the 2-3x 12 hour shifts a week I work as a midwife. I know this is something I really need to work on.
    I sleep well (7-9 hours a night usually) and have a fairly low-stress life.
    Right, so now you know all the stats can someone please tell me why I have not lost any weight for two weeks??? Getting quite frustrated.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    -Kristine

Weight loss is not always linear.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Because, like answered on just about every other 'no weight loss' thread on here, that first bunch of weight loss was likely water.

Now that's out of the way, your body is figuring out how to work with the new, clean, nutritious food you're giving it and when it's ready, it'll start burning through your fat stores. Be patient!

As mentioned on many threads before, stay off the scale. For at least a month. Better yet, for even longer if you can. Use how your clothes feel to gauge your progress, or use body measurements. Or, just focus on being happy and healthy for now and let the weight loss happen as it will. Getting all amped up because the scale isn't budging is counterproductive...stress adds to fat retention.

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Because, like answered on just about every other 'no weight loss' thread on here, that first bunch of weight loss was likely water.

Now that's out of the way, your body is figuring out how to work with the new, clean, nutritious food you're giving it and when it's ready, it'll start burning through your fat stores. Be patient!

As mentioned on many threads before, stay off the scale. For at least a month. Better yet, for even longer if you can. Use how your clothes feel to gauge your progress, or use body measurements. Or, just focus on being happy and healthy for now and let the weight loss happen as it will. Getting all amped up because the scale isn't budging is counterproductive...stress adds to fat retention.
    Photos work too, but everything else here is valid as well.

Further, keep track of your calories for a bit. You might be overeating, or even sticking to your maintenance level. And remember, Mark mentioned that weight loss would take about a lb (about .45 kilos) a week.

I had the same situation when I started Primal 9 months ago. When I dropped dairy (reluctantly), the scale started to move. I have lost about 17 pounds and two sizes since then. I still put heavy whipping cream in my coffee, drink wine once or twice per week, and have a lot of stress. My eating and exercise habits have evolved over time. I tend to go for six weeks at the same weight and then suddenly 2-3 pounds drop off. It was easy for me to continue in spite of the slow progress because I had so many health issues improve: Joint pain, mood swings, rashes, GI issues, energy levels, hunger control, etc etc etc.

mrsxtro,

Very intersting post. I'm new to the site, but have completely overhauled my eating habits over the past year and have been eating paleo style for about 4 months. My mother (46yo) and I (23yo) have tried a bunch of different weight loss plans/lifestyle plans and this one seems to work really well. If I've learned anything it's that the scale is only a partial indicator of progress! Have you noticed any NSV's (non-scale victories)? That's more telling. Clothes fitting better? Midsection going down at all? Less wiggle or jiggle anywhere? That's progress.

Also, make adjustments to your diet. I say this because we went paleo crazy for the first month. Bring on the bacon grease, coconut oil and butter/ghee!! BUT, from personal experience there is such thing as too much fat... Lay off the fat for a little bit and see what that does for you. If you haven't seen any weightloss in a whole month, for the next month switch up the macro nutrient ratio (protein/fat/carb). Maybe shoot for 40% protein, 50% fat and 10% carbs. My mom saw great results from eating a little less fat and a bit more of the carbs and protein.

Keep us posted & good luck,

~Arielle

Because work as a midwife is sedentary, never mind my ideas of the sheer arrogant danger of what you do if you are working out of hospital. You have to actually move to convince your body it wants to do something with it's extant fat. Go walk the dog for an hour or so a day, lift things---nice heavy things---and then move more. Restrict your calories to around 1200 a day, don't add fat to your food, and cut out the fruit and nuts and snacks. Your calories should still come mostly from lean protein, then fat, then naturally occurring carbs.

Thank you all for your responses. They have been very helpful. Patience is a virtue apparently, and one I obviously must try and foster a bit more! Plus add in more exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
    Because work as a midwife is sedentary, never mind my ideas of the sheer arrogant danger of what you do if you are working out of hospital.
    @ fuzzylogic... I am not sure what midwives you have seen but my job is certainly not sedentary! I am on my feet for probably at least 10 hours out of the 12 hour shifts I do. Plus, as I generally work in the birthing suites I am up and down with labouring women. Kneeling on the floor, squatting with them in the shower, rocking and massaging for hours on end. I do work in a hospital but just for your information, low-risk women who birth at home with a known and experienced midwife with appropriate hospital back-up care if required actually have better outcomes than women who birth in hospital (plus neonatal outcomes are more favourable too). If you are judging your views of midwives on certain TV shows then please know that midwifery in Australia is a far cry from the medicalised environment of certain other countries. We are certainly not perfect but we do way more than just watch monitors beep and call drs to 'deliver' babies. I am fully responsible for the care of a woman and baby from the moment they enter the hospital in labour until the moment they are transferred to the postnatal ward, including doing the birth. Drs only required in an emergency.

Ok, now I'll hop off my soapbox!

Once again, thank you for all your advice and support.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
    Because work as a midwife is sedentary, never mind my ideas of the sheer arrogant danger of what you do if you are working out of hospital.
    Wow! This is obnoxious. Not to mention ignorant. How many midwives work regular shifts outside of a hospital?

Good for you, mrsxtro, for responding so graciously.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Hi Laura,
    I've been on semipaleo for about 10 days. I've cut out grains and processed foods, but Im still drinking coffee with a bit of sugar and cream, not drinking enough water, and exercising 3 to 4 days a week. I feel better and stay full longer but have not experienced any weight loss. I'm 52, 5'5", and weight 205. I see you loss 65 pounds. What did you eat and what exercise did you do? I love the initial benefits but I have a lot of weight to lose. Please feel free to email me. Thanks