Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just another "no weight loss" thread page

mrsxtro is offline Junior Member

Just another "no weight loss" thread

Hi all.
    New to this way of eating.
    42 year old female, 160cms short (5 foot 2 inches), 87 kilos (191 pounds). Have no known food intolerances. Obviously need to lose at least 20 kilos.
    Cut out all processed carbs and sugar 4 weeks ago. Lost 3 kilos first week, 1kg second week, absolutely nothing in the last 2 weeks.
    Breakfast consists of either eggs (1x fried or 2x scrambled) and bacon or a banana smoothie (milk, banana and greek yoghurt). Sometimes I will also have a small bowl of raspberries and greek yoghurt if I don't feel satisfied.
    Lunch is salad and protein (ham, salmon, chicken etc).
    Afternoon snack if hungry is usually 6-8 nuts (cashews, macadamias, pistachios) and some cheese.
    Dinner is salad or veges plus protein (steak, chicken, fish etc.). Sometimes I will have a small bowl of raspberries and greek yoghurt after dinner if I don't feel satisfied.
    I don't usually feel hungry between meals, sugar cravings are mostly gone, am in ketosis (as per the pee stick things). I do track my calories intermittently and average between 1200-1400 calories a day, 60-70% fat, around 30% protein and 5% carbs.
    I must admit to having a mostly sedentary life except for the 2-3x 12 hour shifts a week I work as a midwife. I know this is something I really need to work on.
    I sleep well (7-9 hours a night usually) and have a fairly low-stress life.
    Right, so now you know all the stats can someone please tell me why I have not lost any weight for two weeks??? Getting quite frustrated.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    -Kristine

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Weight loss is not always linear.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Because, like answered on just about every other 'no weight loss' thread on here, that first bunch of weight loss was likely water.

Now that's out of the way, your body is figuring out how to work with the new, clean, nutritious food you're giving it and when it's ready, it'll start burning through your fat stores. Be patient!

As mentioned on many threads before, stay off the scale. For at least a month. Better yet, for even longer if you can. Use how your clothes feel to gauge your progress, or use body measurements. Or, just focus on being happy and healthy for now and let the weight loss happen as it will. Getting all amped up because the scale isn't budging is counterproductive...stress adds to fat retention.

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    I had the same situation when I started Primal 9 months ago. When I dropped dairy (reluctantly), the scale started to move. I have lost about 17 pounds and two sizes since then. I still put heavy whipping cream in my coffee, drink wine once or twice per week, and have a lot of stress. My eating and exercise habits have evolved over time. I tend to go for six weeks at the same weight and then suddenly 2-3 pounds drop off. It was easy for me to continue in spite of the slow progress because I had so many health issues improve: Joint pain, mood swings, rashes, GI issues, energy levels, hunger control, etc etc etc.

Arielle is offline Junior Member
    mrsxtro,

Very intersting post. I'm new to the site, but have completely overhauled my eating habits over the past year and have been eating paleo style for about 4 months. My mother (46yo) and I (23yo) have tried a bunch of different weight loss plans/lifestyle plans and this one seems to work really well. If I've learned anything it's that the scale is only a partial indicator of progress! Have you noticed any NSV's (non-scale victories)? That's more telling. Clothes fitting better? Midsection going down at all? Less wiggle or jiggle anywhere? That's progress.

Also, make adjustments to your diet. I say this because we went paleo crazy for the first month. Bring on the bacon grease, coconut oil and butter/ghee!! BUT, from personal experience there is such thing as too much fat... Lay off the fat for a little bit and see what that does for you. If you haven't seen any weightloss in a whole month, for the next month switch up the macro nutrient ratio (protein/fat/carb). Maybe shoot for 40% protein, 50% fat and 10% carbs. My mom saw great results from eating a little less fat and a bit more of the carbs and protein.

Keep us posted & good luck,

~Arielle

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Because work as a midwife is sedentary, never mind my ideas of the sheer arrogant danger of what you do if you are working out of hospital. You have to actually move to convince your body it wants to do something with it's extant fat. Go walk the dog for an hour or so a day, lift things---nice heavy things---and then move more. Restrict your calories to around 1200 a day, don't add fat to your food, and cut out the fruit and nuts and snacks. Your calories should still come mostly from lean protein, then fat, then naturally occurring carbs.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    stay off the scale and make friends with your measuring tape. the scale is a horrible indicator of health.

you mention needing to snack after meals, "if i don't feel satisfied." have a bigger portion of protein with your meals and cut out the snacks.

and yeah, get moving.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

otzi Guest
    Counting calories is hard because of the variations in advertised vs reality. If you are serious about it, come up with a meal plan you can replicate (very closely) every day for 3-4 weeks. Eat almost the exact same thing daily. If you maintained on what you were eating, cut something out like the butter, cheese, etc... shoot for a 500 calorie reduction per day, then eat the same thing again for the next month.

It sounds harder than it is, but counting calories often gives one a false sense of what they are really getting.

Euphoric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Because, like answered on just about every other 'no weight loss' thread on here, that first bunch of weight loss was likely water.

Now that's out of the way, your body is figuring out how to work with the new, clean, nutritious food you're giving it and when it's ready, it'll start burning through your fat stores. Be patient!

As mentioned on many threads before, stay off the scale. For at least a month. Better yet, for even longer if you can. Use how your clothes feel to gauge your progress, or use body measurements. Or, just focus on being happy and healthy for now and let the weight loss happen as it will. Getting all amped up because the scale isn't budging is counterproductive...stress adds to fat retention.
    Photos work too, but everything else here is valid as well.

Further, keep track of your calories for a bit. You might be overeating, or even sticking to your maintenance level. And remember, Mark mentioned that weight loss would take about a lb (about .45 kilos) a week.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    First and foremost Primal/Paleo is not a weight lose regime, it is a plan for good health which includes both diet and lifestyle.

Some of the benefits people see are weightloss, increased fitness level, reduction of medication, reduced stress, etc. etc.

One month in is just the start of the process, give it another couple of months and if you are not seeing the numbers move by that time, then you may need to do some tweaking, your body needs to do a fair bit of adjustment, you just feed it good food and treat it well and let it make the appropriate adjustments.

Get some form of exercise program going, don't get too complicated though, keep it simple and keep it fun.

Look to establish some performance measures as a guide to your progress rather than the scales or mirror.
    e.g.
    Establish a set walking route, 1-2km and then time how long it takes you to do the circuit and log the time and see how you improve over a month.
    If you have any bricks or weights lying around, try hurling these in your back yard, how far can you throw it "shot put" style, do this with both arms and record the distances.
    How many squats, push ups, whatever can you do in 1 minute.
    You don't need to record every day, maybe just test yourself once a week, but do your routines more often, daily or every second day at least.

Choose measures and exercises that suit you, but focussing on improving your health and using these measures as positive reinforcements of your improvements will take your mind of the scales and one day you'll just notice your clothes are a bit loose etc.

You sound like your in a great position to reap many benefits as you don't appear to have any other complicating conditions that others have, just a bit of excess weight, so good food and fitness should get you there with no problems, but you will need a little patience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast