Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just another "no weight loss" thread page 2

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsxtro View Post
    Cut out all processed carbs and sugar 4 weeks ago. Lost 3 kilos first week, 1kg second week, absolutely nothing in the last 2 weeks.
    Everything in your plan sounds pretty good. But I'd cut out the berries and milk for weight loss. Plus add some cardio to get it moving. And give it much more time.

Also you might use a tape measure or body composition analyzer instead of scale. You could be gaining muscle while losing fat so net weight change zero.

mrsxtro is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for your responses. They have been very helpful. Patience is a virtue apparently, and one I obviously must try and foster a bit more! Plus add in more exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
    Because work as a midwife is sedentary, never mind my ideas of the sheer arrogant danger of what you do if you are working out of hospital.
    @ fuzzylogic... I am not sure what midwives you have seen but my job is certainly not sedentary! I am on my feet for probably at least 10 hours out of the 12 hour shifts I do. Plus, as I generally work in the birthing suites I am up and down with labouring women. Kneeling on the floor, squatting with them in the shower, rocking and massaging for hours on end. I do work in a hospital but just for your information, low-risk women who birth at home with a known and experienced midwife with appropriate hospital back-up care if required actually have better outcomes than women who birth in hospital (plus neonatal outcomes are more favourable too). If you are judging your views of midwives on certain TV shows then please know that midwifery in Australia is a far cry from the medicalised environment of certain other countries. We are certainly not perfect but we do way more than just watch monitors beep and call drs to 'deliver' babies. I am fully responsible for the care of a woman and baby from the moment they enter the hospital in labour until the moment they are transferred to the postnatal ward, including doing the birth. Drs only required in an emergency.

Ok, now I'll hop off my soapbox!

Once again, thank you for all your advice and support.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Good on ya,
    I wasn't going there cause I knew a few midwives and I've been told.

With your exercise, look to fill in the gaps that the physical movement in your job doesn't provide, you'd know what these things are better than anyone else.

Walking is still probably good because there will be a different effect from doing a good continuous 2-3km walk as against doing the same distance in 20-50m stints over the day, and swing the arms, even slightly exaggerated at times, helps to relieve neck and shoulder tension.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
    Because work as a midwife is sedentary, never mind my ideas of the sheer arrogant danger of what you do if you are working out of hospital.
    Wow! This is obnoxious. Not to mention ignorant. How many midwives work regular shifts outside of a hospital?

Good for you, mrsxtro, for responding so graciously.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

jb52 is offline Junior Member
    Hi Laura,
    I've been on semipaleo for about 10 days. I've cut out grains and processed foods, but Im still drinking coffee with a bit of sugar and cream, not drinking enough water, and exercising 3 to 4 days a week. I feel better and stay full longer but have not experienced any weight loss. I'm 52, 5'5", and weight 205. I see you loss 65 pounds. What did you eat and what exercise did you do? I love the initial benefits but I have a lot of weight to lose. Please feel free to email me. Thanks

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    nm, the OP dealt with it.

Yes, midwifery work -- like nursing -- is actually a lot of physical work for long and strange hours.

But, exercise will also make a big difference. Even just going for walks now and again.
    Last edited by zoebird; 03-17-2013 at 03:20 PM.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    You've lost 4 kg. That's an average of 1 kg (2.2lbs) per week which is pretty much the recommended rate at which to lose weight if not slightly faster. Just because it wasn't 1 each week doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. You have to look at the big picture.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Counting calories is hard because of the variations in advertised vs reality.
    Right. It also doesn't seem like people really need as much calories as they make it out to be. It really does depend on ones activity level and life situation.

Take Mark Sisson for example. I don't recall the exact numbers, but if I recall, he doesn't really eat a real lot of calories. And the thing people could easily misunderstand is that he is an active guy and also doesn't have any weight to lose. He's also a male. So looking at it from a realistic viewpoint, a sedentary female who has A LOT of weight to lose, probably has to consume at least 1500 calories less per day than he does in order to achieve any sort of meaningful weight loss; and I'm talking about a measly 2 lbs per week!

The truth is, a sedentary or obese man or woman needs to cut calories significantly, otherwise the fat loss takes way too long. Exercise more and the problem is solved.

If you are serious about it, come up with a meal plan you can replicate (very closely) every day for 3-4 weeks. Eat almost the exact same thing daily. If you maintained on what you were eating, cut something out like the butter, cheese, etc... shoot for a 500 calorie reduction per day, then eat the same thing again for the next month.
    As boring as it sounds, I totally agree 100%. Sure, you can still get descent results while changing it up every day. That's always what I've done. However, keeping things the same every day is a no brainer way to get the results you want, if you can actually adhere to it; if the fat isn't coming off, drop calories down a little bit more, nothing complicated. Simple as that.

It sounds harder than it is, but counting calories often gives one a false sense of what they are really getting.
    Yeah, but if you eat the right foods you'll feel stuffed even if you're in a calorie deficit. However, because of the psychological affects you discuss, I've personally found it best to plan to consume much fewer calories than what you'd calculate to be necessary. The first reason is because you get faster results. The second reason is because if you slip and eat more on some days, your calories are still rather low.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsxtro View Post
    Hi all.
    New to this way of eating.
    42 year old female, 160cms short (5 foot 2 inches), 87 kilos (191 pounds). Have no known food intolerances. Obviously need to lose at least 20 kilos.
    Cut out all processed carbs and sugar 4 weeks ago. Lost 3 kilos first week, 1kg second week, absolutely nothing in the last 2 weeks.
    Breakfast consists of either eggs (1x fried or 2x scrambled) and bacon or a banana smoothie (milk, banana and greek yoghurt). Sometimes I will also have a small bowl of raspberries and greek yoghurt if I don't feel satisfied.
    Lunch is salad and protein (ham, salmon, chicken etc).
    Afternoon snack if hungry is usually 6-8 nuts (cashews, macadamias, pistachios) and some cheese.
    Dinner is salad or veges plus protein (steak, chicken, fish etc.). Sometimes I will have a small bowl of raspberries and greek yoghurt after dinner if I don't feel satisfied.
    I don't usually feel hungry between meals, sugar cravings are mostly gone, am in ketosis (as per the pee stick things). I do track my calories intermittently and average between 1200-1400 calories a day, 60-70% fat, around 30% protein and 5% carbs.
    I must admit to having a mostly sedentary life except for the 2-3x 12 hour shifts a week I work as a midwife. I know this is something I really need to work on.
    I sleep well (7-9 hours a night usually) and have a fairly low-stress life.
    Right, so now you know all the stats can someone please tell me why I have not lost any weight for two weeks??? Getting quite frustrated.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    -Kristine
    I would just drop the calories a bit more. Try to do it in such a way that makes it easier to do so.

1. Try just to meals per day instead of 3. Skip breakfast.
    2. Subtract all the foods that are too dense in calories. Stop drinking your calories. And skip out on the nuts. Skip out on the yogurt. The meat should be fine however.
    3. If you still feel hungry, eat A LOT more vegetables such as peppers. You can also temporarily opt for more lean sources of protein. That way you can eat more volume of food. Examples would be leaner beef and ham, and egg whites. (Note: I'm not saying fat is bad for your or anything. But it's easier during the fat loss process to decrease it for a while.)

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Why cut calories further?,
    She's already down and only 4weeks into Primal, I hardly think a 2week stall is enough time to determine there is a calorific issue, her body still needs time to adjust and slight hunger is part of that because of the different food types, there is no need to agravate that further by additionally dropping calories.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast