Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are REAL dangers of saturated fats? page

enriquegp is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

So we know first and foremost that saturated fats WILL NOT clog your arteries. Steak and eggs have never brought about any one's heart attack. However, I want to know just how much saturated fats can actually hurt. We know for instance that SFAs reduce insulin sensitivity a bit, and that toxins are stored in animals' fat. But just how bad are the effects when we consume them? I can consume up to 60% of my daily calories from fat, and find that 20% are saturated, therefore making MUFAs the major fat, just like the Eskimos.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

MUFA? Sorry, I can't work that one out.

If SFA are only 20%, that's not much. I'm running 52% SFA, 11% polyu's and 31% mono over the last few months. No natural fat source is anything close to pure in any fat type. The much maligned lard has more mono that saturated!

The greatest problem with high SFA consumption is the heart attacks your CW friends will have when they find out!

SullynNH Guest

Mono Unsaturated Fatty Acids

I've always called it monosaturated. Some internet searching shows both in common usage. But I'll have to give the nod to monoun.... because it is structurally similar to polyu's, just, well, only one carbon atom pair. Or something like that.

So there's something I learned today, and it's only half past noon.

enriquegp is offline Junior Member

Well if most of my SFA is from coconut, then I have no problem, but if its from butter I can't help but wonder if I'm taking in some sort of toxin.

Organic Raw Butter = Perfect (as far as butter is concerned), otherwise, conventional (pasteurized, non-organic) butter can contain toxins.

Most toxic substances are contained within the thickest, creamiest, fattiest concentrations of the food source, so it's always best to consume the best quality of fats available. Even people who fast/ cleanse will lose fat when the body dumps the toxins, as they are stored in the fat cells, which is the body's 'safest' place to store them.

SullynNH Guest

Not if your butter is from a known source that applies "primal" concepts to their dairy cattle...ie free-range/pastured, no horm/no anitbiotics, etc...

SF, do you have any references to your claims about "toxin" storage and release? It seems to me that I'd rather have my DDT in the fat cell doing no harm than released and floating around. (Actually, DDT is not very toxic to mammals.)

For reasons I know nothing about, the fat in milk seems to get a lot of anything that's nasty in the food chain, so that's why I can justify organic butter.

CaveGirl Guest

The kind of butter I use now is a imported Irish brand called Kerrygold. I've seen it in most supermarkets. It is not labeled as such, but it is 100% grassfed butter (Ireland is covered in the stuff after all )

If you go to their website, they even tell you all the health benefits of their grassfed butter (plus it is a beautiful gold color that come naturally from the grass-diet and not artificial coloring like you find in most commercial butters).

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

You'll probably have to go to Whole Paycheck to get it (and it's like $4 for a half pound block) but my go-to butter is Icelandic Smjor (picture an umlaut over the O - I can't figure out how to put one in).

Iceland, as a country, is completely sustainable. They don't have to import anything. And that was an intentional goal . . . one they are actively trying to push the rest of the world to adopting (with very little success, of course).

Their cattle graze on grass, thistle, and clover (which is all that really grows well there) and their butter has a lower water content than any other commercial butter. It's pure fat.

It is absolutely bloody awesome for searing salmon or arctic char (yeah, yeah - evil salmon/trout hybrid, but delicious evil salmon/trout hybrid). Crisps the skin like you batter-fried it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast