Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal vs. McDougall diet page

Violette_R is offline Senior Member

Primal vs. McDougall diet

Primal Fuel
    Earlier this morning I remembered my misguided experiment with the McDougall Diet, circa 2004. I identified three ways is which McDougall is the polar opposite of primal:

1) the focus is on almost zero-fat meals made up of grains and produce

2) the food tastes like ass

3) it doesn't work.

He claims his diet is great because you can eat all you want. All-you-can-eat bare brown rice and cabbage with nothing on it? What was I thinking?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Violette_R View Post
    What was I thinking?
    I have no idea.

calee is offline Senior Member
    I did McDougal for 9 years with no added sugar products and no flour products. I was still fat. Even with 1 hour walking daily and limited calories to under 1200. That was from 1989-1997. Its still possible to overeat. It definitely didn't help my metabolism.

Raw vegan for another 3 years. Lots of fruit. I'm a sugar junkie so it seemed like a legitimate way to get in sugar. Messed up thinking! Still fat.

I much prefer Bacon! I wouldn't go back. Eating fat, not so fat anymore. Love PB.

Beachgirl is offline Member
    Last edited by Beachgirl; 08-15-2013 at 07:48 PM.

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    I also did McDougall. The food was not as good that's for sure. I have to say though, I felt amazing on that diet. It was not something I could maintain though and I gave it up after just a year. I definitely felt deprived. And I do think I would have had problems if I had kept it up long term but for that brief time, I felt really, really good. I don't know why.

I now know I am gluten intolerant so maybe eating less refined bread products was what it was? Or maybe just cutting out the junk? Or maybe eating way more vegetables than I had been before? I don't know.

I don't think it's a healthy diet anymore, but given how great I felt on it, I find it hard to diss it completely.

I wish I had discovered paleo back then though. How much easier things would have been if I had started eating this way when I was still in my 20's, before some issues got really bad. It's more of an uphill battle now.

Beachgirl is offline Member
    Last edited by Beachgirl; 08-15-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Violette_R View Post
    What was I thinking?
    That's easy. You weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachgirl View Post
    How long did you McDougall?
    LOL, about two weeks. The food was AWFUL. Completely inpalatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    That's easy. You weren't.

He got me with the "you can eat all you want" hook. My binge eating disorder was about the worst it ever was at that point in my life. The thing is, nobody binges on lettuce or potatoes with no fat. (I never did, anyway.)

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    Beachgirl, I've been off the grains for two years now, which seems to be the biggest health gain for me and my digestive issues. But at this point in my life my problems had gotten bad enough that I can't seem to kick sugar, so I go off and on and off and on that. It might have been easier if I'd don this earlier but oh well, I'll never know now (unless we invent time travel ) But right now I am primal and off sugar (not paleo though because I'm eating dairy).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast