Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does caffeine stop absorption of vits and mins? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Does caffeine stop absorption of vits and mins?

Shop Now
    I take my supplements mid-morning (an hour or two after my coffee) because I've heard that caffeine inhibits the absorption of vitamins and minerals.

True or false?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

JesseJe is offline Member
    Not sure but I do the same thing. I think it's because I heard that coffee causes your stomach to eliminate it's contents quicker than usual so it's best to avoid drinking coffee while eating.

I kind of took that as well.. if the vitamins aren't being broken down fully in my stomach they won't be absorbed in my intestines as well as they should be. Intuitive thinking but I could be totally wrong.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Only iron, and this is hardly a bad thing. I slam down supplements with coffee and can feel their effect in minutes. Your digestion plays a big part in how quickly you absorb supplements, so, theoretically, coffee can only help with this.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I know caffeine can effect iron absorption quite a bit, though if you eat plenty of animal products, this is nothing to worry about. As for other nutrients, I am not as sure. My two cents is that I am drinking a fair amount of tea with meals these days and I still feel pretty good, so probably not as much.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Coffee only really has one benefit aside from being a "pleasure drug of addiction" and that is stimulating the release of Free Fatty acids through increasing stress, so if you aren't downing your coffee and then immediately going into a hard workout, then it really has no benefits and is pretty much detrimantal and yes the caffeine does affect the absorption of a variety of nutrients.

Argueing that coffee is healthy is a relative argument, healthier than what.
    It's like the "Whole grains are healthier than processed grains" argument, but no grains are 100 times healthier.

I do like my coffee and drink it daily, but don't delude myself, it is definately part of the 20% non primal.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Coffee only really has one benefit aside from being a "pleasure drug of addiction" and that is stimulating the release of Free Fatty acids through increasing stress, so if you aren't downing your coffee and then immediately going into a hard workout, then it really has no benefits and is pretty much detrimantal and yes the caffeine does affect the absorption of a variety of nutrients.

It's like the "Whole grains are healthier than processed grains" argument, but no grains are 100 times healthier.

I do like my coffee and drink it daily, but don't delude myself, it is definately part of the 20% non primal.
    In before Derp gets crazy.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member

First, try giving legitimate context and sources for your claims, because this is clearly opinion based. Then, try refuting the many claims backed up with context in this:

Caffeine: A vitamin-like nutrient, or adaptogen. Questions about tea and coffee, cancer and other degenerative diseases, and the hormones.

Then we'll talk.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I've been coffee-less all week and feel really good. I don't miss it at all. I've had my morning large mug of strong brewed French roast every day for about 15 years.
    ~ducking under my desk before someone stars chucking stuff at me~

But even Mark drinks coffee.... with sugar! How can you say that coffee isn't Primal? That bit of leeway is the whole reason I'm on this godforsaken site...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I've been coffee-less all week and feel really good. I don't miss it at all. I've had my morning large mug of strong brewed French roast every day for about 15 years.
    ~ducking under my desk before someone stars chucking stuff at me~
    Honestly, I gave up coffee for a year, and noticed no discernible improvements in my health. Didn't sleep any better, energy wasn't better... umm, what else is giving up caffeine supposed to help with?

If I drink 6+ cups of strong joe a day I do get anxious but too much of anything is not a good thing.

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast