Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does caffeine stop absorption of vits and mins? page 3

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Interesting. I did a bit of research and a ton of sites (credible ones, like LiveStrong, Men's Health, and Vegan Health Guide ) all claimed that caffeine blocked calcium absorption. I found the study they cited: Effects of caffeine on bone and the calciu... [Food Chem Toxicol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

First line:
    Caffeine-containing beverage consumption has been reported to be associated with reduced bone mass and increased fracture risk in some, but not most, observational studies.

....The negative effect of caffeine on calcium absorption is small enough to be fully offset by as little as 1-2 tablespoons of milk......

There is no evidence that caffeine has any harmful effect on bone status or on the calcium economy in individuals who ingest the currently recommended daily allowances of calcium.

I guess for vegans it would be a problem, but the rest of us should be ok
    Yeah, usually that's the kind of trite nonsense you'll find when you research the harmful effects of coffee, because it really doesn't exist. ^-^

30 Reasons to Quit Coffee

Read this and have a good laugh, I know I did.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Caffeine is a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, derp is right. Caffeine itself, and the beverages that contain them (tea, yerba mate, coffee, etc.) all have numerous wonderful health benefits. In the right individuals, these beverages can be extremely beneficial.

On the other hand, if you find that you can't get the drive to get up and go without your cup o' joe or tea, then you may have an issue. It is when you absolutely NEED your caffeine to get up and go that you might want to lower consumption or even drop it.

I myself have days where my caffeine intake can get pretty damn high but then the next day, have none and still feel fine. If I ever notice myself needing that daily fix however, losing the drive to accomplish anything, flagging energy without my caffeine then I will dial back or even eliminate it.

I am the same as Drumroll. I have been drinking coffee and caffeine containing beverages nearly all my life, so I have an astounding tolerance to them. I can drink nearly 2 gallons of coffee one day, and have none for a week and be fine. It just depends on the circumstances for me. I enjoy the clarity, warmth, and good mood that coffee provides me among many other benefits. I see no reason to ever give it up.

Also, I tried a cold yerba mate beverage the other week, Drumroll, and it was a lot better than the last brewed cup I had. It was pretty refreshing. It was like some raspberry flavored thing.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yeah, usually that's the kind of trite nonsense you'll find when you research the harmful effects of coffee, because it really doesn't exist. ^-^

30 Reasons to Quit Coffee

Read this and have a good laugh, I know I did.
    "I found myself resorting to a cup of coffee here and there, and the next thing you know I was drinking a cup every day. A very slippery slope."

Watch out folks - coffee wrecks lives!!!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

The horror!! Next thing you know she'll be mainlining heroin

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    The horror!! Next thing you know she'll be mainlining heroin
    It's a slippery slope...!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Reminds me of your cunnlingus thread

Eheheheh...

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I am the same as Drumroll. I have been drinking coffee and caffeine containing beverages nearly all my life, so I have an astounding tolerance to them. I can drink nearly 2 gallons of coffee one day, and have none for a week and be fine. It just depends on the circumstances for me. I enjoy the clarity, warmth, and good mood that coffee provides me among many other benefits. I see no reason to ever give it up.

Also, I tried a cold yerba mate beverage the other week, Drumroll, and it was a lot better than the last brewed cup I had. It was pretty refreshing. It was like some raspberry flavored thing.
    I don't think I get QUITE as much caffeine as YOU do...

And yerba mate just hits me differently than coffee does. I like my coffee, but yerba mate leaves me feeling mellow afterwards. And yes, you can cold-steep mate which produces a less bitter brew. Just place mate in a tea strainer, pour cold water over top and let sit for a while. Can go as many as several hours for a stronger brew. Let it sit in the fridge if you like it to stay cold the whole time it is brewing.

I almost seem to have a preference for warm beverages these days though, so I like my mate brewed in a coffee machine and I brew my tea with hot water. I use full leaves only for both my mate and my tea, and with my tea I can even get anal about amount, brewing times, temp, based on the type of tea leaves used. If you are going to drink it, might as well make it right so it tastes good. Or else why bother?

You CAN'T justify a cup of over-brewed, bitter leaves as anything BUT a caffeine hit, and then you're kind of missing the zen of tea which is "taking time to properly prepare the leaves, enjoying the aromas, savoring the flavor, and taking a moment to escape the world as you relax with your cup of tea."

I rarely make coffee for myself. I do have several AMAZING coffee shops near where I live though, so sometimes if I have a "jive for java," I'll pick one of those places at random and head out to enjoy a cup or two.

Paleobird Guest
    Caffeine is not a drug, it's a nutrient.
    If you get withdrawal symptoms from using it regularly and then not having any, it's a drug.

But then, you can't expect a junkie to be in anything other than denial. Your poor adrenals.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast