Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does caffeine stop absorption of vits and mins? page 2

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Only iron, and this is hardly a bad thing. I slam down supplements with coffee and can feel their effect in minutes. Your digestion plays a big part in how quickly you absorb supplements, so, theoretically, coffee can only help with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJe View Post
    Not sure but I do the same thing. I think it's because I heard that coffee causes your stomach to eliminate it's contents quicker than usual so it's best to avoid drinking coffee while eating.

I kind of took that as well.. if the vitamins aren't being broken down fully in my stomach they won't be absorbed in my intestines as well as they should be. Intuitive thinking but I could be totally wrong.
    Two completely opposing views...both make sense. In one sense, caffeine speeds up metabolism, thereby increasing absorption. In another sense, caffeine aggravates the intestinal wall, thereby causing faster elimination of only-partially digested matter.

I know which theory I prefer... but which is true?

Derp, how does coffee prevent absorption of iron, but not other minerals?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

Derp, how does coffee prevent absorption of iron, but not other minerals?
    It's the polyphenol compounds in coffee and tea that can impede absorption of iron when ingested at the same time

Inhibition of food iron absorption by coffee.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    But even Mark drinks coffee.... with sugar! How can you say that coffee isn't Primal? That bit of leeway is the whole reason I'm on this godforsaken site...
    Remember he invented the 80:20 rule, is it part of his 20%?
    The rule is 80% Primal 20% Non Primal isn't it?

In addition to this everytime he talks about coffee (that I've seen) he always say's you should use it as a tool, drink your coffee and enjoy it, but then go out and burn off the Free Fatty acids that are released into the bloodstream, don't just lounge around while they are re-absorbed back into your adipose tissue, your body would just have ramped up it's fight/flight response to no avail.

Everyone's got a different opinion on the coffee, there is plenty of selective research that can be gathered to support both pro's & con's. Most from either side will agree that caffeine is treated by our bodies more like a drug than a nutrient, so in my mind we all generally have goals to minimise long term medication and that's where I see it, if you need it to get you going, sharpen your reflexes, dull a headache, then there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed and coffee is drinking is only a symptomatic treatment and does not address the root cause.
    Otherwise people would not suffer withdrawal symptoms when they stopped drinking coffee.

That's just my opinion on coffee based on what I have read, I can say the few times I have stopped I do actually feel lighter and clearer, so I should probably chuck it, but maybe I'm not ready yet.
    Last edited by Omni; 03-16-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Remember he invented the 80:20 rule, is it part of his 20%?
    The rule is 80% Primal 20% Non Primal isn't it?

In addition to this everytime he talks about coffee (that I've seen) he always say's you should use it as a tool, drink your coffee and enjoy it, but then go out and burn off the Free Fatty acids that are released into the bloodstream, don't just lounge around while they are re-absorbed back into your adipose tissue, your body would just have ramped up it's fight/flight response to no avail.

Everyone's got a different opinion on the coffee, there is plenty of selective research that can be gathered to support both pro's & con's. Most from either side will agree that caffeine is treated by our bodies more like a drug than a nutrient, so in my mind we all generally have goals to minimise long term medication and that's where I see it, if you need it to get you going, sharpen your reflexes, dull a headache, then there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed and coffee is drinking is only a symptomatic treatment and does not address the root cause.
    Otherwise people would not suffer withdrawal symptoms when they stopped drinking coffee.

That's just my opinion on coffee based on what I have read, I can say the few times I have stopped I do actually feel lighter and clearer, so I should probably chuck it, but maybe I'm not ready yet.
    I hear you. I still don't know where I stand on it. Too much makes me really anxious. But I did give it up for a year at one stage, and in all honesty it didn't really change... anything! In moderation it seems pretty innocuous, and I love it so... meh.

Btw my last post was tongue-in-cheek
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post

Also, every time Mark talks about coffee he adds a big fat caveat that everybody around here chooses to ignore. He says that it is OK in moderation *as long as it is not being used as an energy crutch*. Most people stop listening after the OK part.

Yes, it is a drug. Derp may think drug dependency is no big deal. Seeing as how he smokes cigarettes and talks about doing Coke (both liquid and powdered varieties), I would wonder about the objectivity of his advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    It's the polyphenol compounds in coffee and tea that can impede absorption of iron when ingested at the same time

Inhibition of food iron absorption by coffee.
    Interesting. I did a bit of research and a ton of sites (credible ones, like LiveStrong, Men's Health, and Vegan Health Guide ) all claimed that caffeine blocked calcium absorption. I found the study they cited: Effects of caffeine on bone and the calciu... [Food Chem Toxicol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

First line:
    Caffeine-containing beverage consumption has been reported to be associated with reduced bone mass and increased fracture risk in some, but not most, observational studies.

....The negative effect of caffeine on calcium absorption is small enough to be fully offset by as little as 1-2 tablespoons of milk......

There is no evidence that caffeine has any harmful effect on bone status or on the calcium economy in individuals who ingest the currently recommended daily allowances of calcium.

I guess for vegans it would be a problem, but the rest of us should be ok

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Also, every time Mark talks about coffee he adds a big fat caveat that everybody around here chooses to ignore. He says that it is OK in moderation *as long as it is not being used as an energy crutch*. Most people stop listening after the OK part.
    I agree with that - it's my current stance too.

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    But isn't the possibility of coffee blocking or or hindering to some extent mineral and other nutrients absorption a moot point in a case where coffee is consumed on an empty stomach and the first meal of the day is hours later?

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    But isn't the possibility of coffee blocking or or hindering to some extent mineral and other nutrients absorption a moot point in a case where coffee is consumed on an empty stomach and the first meal of the day is hours later?
    If that's how you take your coffee - sure! If you have breakfast and take supplements first thing in the morning then it's worth considering.

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member

Caffeine is not a drug, it's a nutrient. Just because it gives you a "boost", doesn't make it unnatural. I swear, you purists are something else.

Just an observation, but have you ever noticed how many older people who have kept perfect cognitive function well into their older age all both smoke, and drink liberal amounts of coffee?
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast