Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TAKE TWO- Primal Journal wsh612 page

wsh612 is offline Junior Member

TAKE TWO- Primal Journal wsh612

Shop Now
    I started a journal elsewhere for 'take one' and then it occurred to me that this might be a better option. I named this 'take two' because after the first go around of 14 days of pretty strict primal, i purposely relapsed on a very large non-primal meal from a restaurant that must not be named yesterday. I had been experiencing cravings in the form of bread/dough for a few days and then, 'caved.' But it was conscious. So, this is take two. And I'm NOT expecting a take three.

I'm 45, closing in on 46. Almost two years ago, I stopped smoking cigarettes and gained some weight (as I expected) but no matter what, I haven't been able to really get it back off, despite my exercise routine. Over the past four years, I've made a decent effort to manage my weight and fitness level, through, fitness. Not trying to beat any records or anything, but did begin racing just to keep my motivation up. This year, I'm scheduled for two sprint tris, and a trail race series (that I've done two years in a row, so I already know its brutal) and a few 5k's with my dog for fun. I also mtb (some) and like to hike. I will say that the first change I noticed when I went primal was the decrease in energy and felt very weak and i was not starving. It did start to improve but at the two week mark, wasnt great. Hoping this time, will be better. The main splurge for me is dairy, but I do seek out the raw forms of it as best as I can. I use heavy cream in my coffee and have some really expensive cheese in my salads and as a side sometimes.

I like the fat thing and my favorite snack is trailmix with mixed nuts and coconuts and traces of dark chocolate.

Got sidetracked. My measurements are silly. 38, 31, 36, 37. So this translates to a L, M, 2x, S at the same time. Yes, I have a belly!!! I am female. I expect to work out 5 days a week, doing something. And look forward to lifting heavy things if my muscles can handle it.

Weight wise, I want to be somewhere between 115-125. Which means I need to lose at least, 10-15 pounds on most days. That is my goal. And being healthier in general. As for health conditions. I have neuropathy symptoms in my feet, arthritis (mild), high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

I'm glad to be here and welcome feedback.

So today is only two days later from this post. Alot has happened. The good news, I got back on track with the paleo eating but improvised something new. I'm eating small portions of fruit prior to my workouts and finding its helping immensely. I complted a lactate threshold test on the spin bike yesterday and learned my LT is 182. Phew!! I'm feeling pretty sad today but not allowing myself to feel it. I learned (inadvertently) that my old dog died yesterday. He was my ex family dog and stayed with the ex when we split. He was 16. I'm not allowing myself to be sad over it because I hate crying one day and then going to bed and waking up with my eyes shut and somewhat deformed. Its not a good look. Maybe I'll cave tonite though as the weather report is threatening to snow me in at home tomorrow anyway. Yesterday for a workout I ran 4.25 miles and then did the spin workout/test for 100 mins. Yesterday I ate 1/2 a banana, an apple, a pork chop, beets and greens, a whopping salad with mixed fresh fruit, olives, cheese, olive oil dressing, trailmix with nuts and coconut and sm amounts of dark chocolate. Coffee w/heavy cream x 3. Now that I know what my lactate threshold level is, plan to start amping up the workouts. I have my first tri in two months.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    following.

where did you get the lactate threshold test done?

Jodie and I joined a 'tri club' locally. There is a spin instructor who is an exercise physiologist that conducted the tests for us on a spin bike.

Its been a few days since I posted. I've stayed on track with food, my occasional indulgence is trail mix with dark choc and heavy cream in my coffee. Otherwise the diet is fat, protein, veggies and at least one fruit per day. The good news for me is that I have found my energy level during my run is improving. Not sure if its the 1/2 piece of fruit prior to that helps or that my body has adjusted. Yesterday I ran, swam, and the did a spin class and had enough energy to carry me through no problem on just a banana. I will say that the other day as part of my weight routine I started a pull up routine (standing), and my arms, shoulders are still feeling that. I feel weak just thinking about having to do it again today. :0) I still get cravings on my weekend to go out and eat non primal food. I think its just the end of the week, celebratory want to reward myself thing that's happening. I get over it once I think it through and remind myself how much we're spending on healthy food now :0), and how good it is in comparison to most restaurants. Last night we did add acorn squash to our usual vegetable/protein meal. Mainly because we had bought one prior to going paleo. Man, it was really really good. :0) Not really worried about the extra carbs due to the frequency and intensity of the workouts I do over the weekend. As for weight, back down to what I lost the first week or so.

Spent an exceptional amount of time in the bathroom yesterday in the am and then later in the afternoon. I believe the afternoon rounds were due to cream in coffee from a book store. But the am, not too sure. At any rate, 2# loss. Ran 4 miles yesterday, but decided not to do additional workouts as I was alittle tired and my upper body was still sore from the pull up bar routine (new). I'm feeling better today though so the routine should be doable on Mon. Going to run 4 miles today, and then the plan is a swim and spin class. Oh yeah, also tried kefir last night. It was alright. Tried to put it in my coffee but thats not going to work out so I guess I'll have to figure something else out to use it.

Its been awhile since I've checked in and thought it might be a good idea. I'm taking the day off from working out today which hasn happened since Apr 10. Generally I run, bike, swim, hike, weights, or a combo of these things but have decided today, I might benefit from a recovery day. I've complted two sprint tris since going primal and have had no energy issues. Just read an article on here which reminds me to increase healthy fats so will focus on that somewhat. Generally though, I dont count any of the foods I eat, just make sure their primal. Havent really had any major splurges since mid Mar. Two minor, planned splurges (sushi w/rice) but otherwise really good. Still get cravings for PIZZA or a derivative of pizza dough, but havent caved since mid Mar. As for weight loss, the avg ends up being a pound a week. Down 11 pounds since I started. The energy thing for me is not based on diet anymore either. Eating before activity is not necessary. I appreciate when I eat after a big event, but could delay it if necessary.

I'm taking my second day off from biking, running and my lifting routine. I do plan to swim. I developed a twinge in my neck yesterday which I attribute to my new computer work station at work (in process of fixing) so Im trying to take it easy and allow my body to recover. However, it makes me very very nervous not to do my usual workout routine. I worry about my fitness levels plummeting and my weight coming up. So, taking a leap in faith that all that I read on here will support the 'days off' from the regular routine. Tomorrow I will plan to do my usual bike, run, swim, but depending on how my neck feel tomorrow, may do a shorter routine. I have a 5k race with my dog on Sat and then plan to volunteer at a race on sunday and do a practice run of a very vigorous 9 mi trail run on sun with a possible ride and swim sandwiched in.

Its been awhile since I've checked in. Overall, I am very pleased with my progress an ability to make the swap over. I have experienced a few minor slips (sugar-related) but for the most part, continue to do well avoiding processed food and sugar. I continue to move daily, often it would be considered primal, at times, more than that. I am afterall, an endurance athlete albeit a short (duration), endurance athlete. As for current stats, weighing in at 125, low weight a few weeks back was 124, but diet and limited moving has kept me at 125. I expect movement to happen again in the next week or so though as I have a sprint tri and a 12 trail race coming up. Thats down to the upper end of what I indicated in my first post so, yeah! As for measurements, they are much improved although I'll have to post those from home as I dont have the measuring tape with me. Beginning of the month they were like 35 28 31 35 for a total of 13 inches around the torsoish areas! I'm out.

My dog is going paleo!!

Almost forgot to post that my dog is going paleo, effective with Fri night's meal!!! So far, chicken, egg, carrot and apple is all he's gotten since then. The chicken and egg have been raw of course. I'll post more later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast