Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Question for all of you lean people! page 4

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    3-4 hours of sleep means that you shouldn't expect to lose weight, gain muscle or feel good until that can change

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    3-4 hours of sleep means that you shouldn't expect to lose weight, gain muscle or feel good until that can change
    I completely neglected that part - this as well.

Euphoric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillykid View Post
    Ok "senior member." All you had to say was add in some lifting. I'm a primal rookie which is why i brought up this question. Don't call me a whiner. Don't act like college/work can't get mentally and physically draining at times. I could care less if you're 51 years old. I get 3-4 hours of sleep a night, i mean it when i say i'm tired.
    You may find this article here of interest. Work smarter, not harder. I think this might help. Read it all. Read it again. Then try and apply it to what you've got going on in your own life.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I might actually be overstudying. I don't go out much except on saturday nights because i know i can sleep in sundays. Going back to the question, should i add in more lifting or watch calorie intake? Losing body fat is my main goal
    Better to go out on Friday, sleep in on Saturday, and get up at a normal time on Sunday to help you be tired by Sunday evening. Also, getting up earlier on Sunday let's you get in a workout.

At this point I'd lift some heavy things and eat 2,000-2,200 calories on those days. Other days, even cardio days (since you're just doing light and moderate cardio anyway) eat closer to 1,800 calories. Eat to fuel your activities as it were.

Phillykid is offline Senior Member
    Ok thanks guys

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I'm 5'10" 160lbs. I eat around 2k calories on most days. I try to eat more but I physically can't without forcing myself. I lift 2-3 days a week with one sprint/track session and one night of full court basketball. After basketball I normally need to eat more. When I do not lift I start getting skinny and drop down into the 150's. Also, just to add I have never been a low carber. I regularly get around 175-225g of carbs a day. On basketball or sprint days I may have up to 300g of carbs.

For you I would be concerned with the 3-4 hours of sleep you are getting every night. I would only work out if I had adequate rest. I honestly would focus on getting more sleep in than lifting. But that is just my personal opinion.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    If you are skinny fat you actually need to build muscle. You will never look strong/ripped/lean without muscles. This takes longer than losing fat/weight. May take you 6 months to a year to pack 10lbs of good muscle onto your frame.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok "senior member." All you had to say was add in some lifting. I'm a primal rookie which is why i brought up this question. Don't call me a whiner. Don't act like college/work can't get mentally and physically draining at times. I could care less if you're 51 years old. I get 3-4 hours of sleep a night, i mean it when i say i'm tired.
    Bingo we have your problem.

In my four months of primal eating and losing over 50 pounds, I have not lost an ounce in my waking hours. Every bit of weight I lose happens when I sleep, I usually wake up 1kg lighter than when I go to bed, If I only get 3-4 hours sleep (happened once or twice) I only lose .5kg which won't account for my calorie intake during the next day. If I sleep less I lose less weight, if I sleep more I lose more.

Also all the lifting advice your getting is great too, but it won't do much if you aren't sleeping much. Nearly all the HGH and testosterone (muscle building hormones) your body releases happens when sleeping. I think I read somewhere Testosterone and HGH doesn't start releasing until a few hours into your sleep.

This is a great general rule for living primaly as mark makes note of in his book:
    There is no point micro managing to a great degree one aspect (usually diet) of the blueprint and disregarding the others. All the aspects (diet, sleep, lifting, sprinting, slow moving, sunlight, play) work together to make you a healthy being

For example with my diet I have absolutely no idea how many calories I eat in a day, my guess would be it varies greatly day by day. I have absolutely no idea what my ratio of carbs to fat to protein is, or haw may grams of any macro I eat on a daily basis, my guess would be it varies alot. All I do is make sure I eat off marks healthy food list in his book at the ratios suggested (eg more veg and meat than dairy and fruit.) and eat when hungry until full. This could have me eating once or twice a day or grazing all day between three big meals.

I also spend a pretty equal amount of effort doing the other disciplines. I do YAYOG, sprint once a fortnight (also play soccer too which involves sprinting) I go for a few walks a week with my wife and kids (these are very spontaneous, I'm usually not just rigidly walking), go outside in our subtropical climate and hang out the washing with no shirt on for my wife or various other short sun exposure tasks. I play all day with my kids, go sailboarding and motorbike riding with my friends when a day is organized and I get a good 8 hrs sleep a night.

having all this in place is what has dropped 27 kgs off my frame in a very short time.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234