Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for all of you lean people! page 2

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillykid View Post
    If i we're a morning person then there wouldn't be a problem. But that is why i made this thread..to see if I should be lifting or if primal foods will eventually get me leaner

Oh hell. I worked 12 hrs on my feet last night, hit the gym for a 1 hr session on the way home: 5 pull-ups! Twice! And 175 lb squats.

I'm a 51 year old old lady. If I can do it, you have no excuses. Quit whining and get moving.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    But I'm also thinking that 2,000 is a little high for someone who isn't lifting.
    It could be. But it also depends on your metabolism. Because if you've cut calories for a while, your metabolism will drop. For example, if I diet for a while, my maintenance is about 2000. But after a while of eating what ever I want, it seems to go back up a bit, maybe to around 2500.

Now my question is, am I not getting any leaner than I should because I'm not lifting or should i be more patient? I guess you could say I fall under the skinny-fat category.
    If you cut calories you'll still lose weight.

However, weightlifting does a few good things for you. The first thing is, it builds and maintains muscle. And in the context of a natural (drug free) physique built from hard work, more muscle almost always looks better.

The second benefit is that it helps preserve and even increase the metabolism. That means you won't have to cut calories as hard to lose weight. And your maintenance will be a bit higher as well.

Phillykid is offline Senior Member
    Ok "senior member." All you had to say was add in some lifting. I'm a primal rookie which is why i brought up this question. Don't call me a whiner. Don't act like college/work can't get mentally and physically draining at times. I could care less if you're 51 years old. I get 3-4 hours of sleep a night, i mean it when i say i'm tired.

Truthfully, I am. I'm either too tired to workout when I come home from work/school and i'm just not a morning workout person. Sunday is the only day I have off and I do basic pushups and pullups then, but that's why I said I don't work out that much
    Believe it or not, you actually can get excellent results for aesthetics with little exercise at all. If you check out any of the stuff by Drew Baye, you'd see the example where he dieted down for a bodybuilding contest and got down to less than 3% body fat all while only doing one 30 minute workout per week. Look up the pics. He was shredded to pieces.

Note: I also tried this last year in order to get into the best shape I've been in over a decade.

Essentially what you are doing is at the minimum a consolidation routine such as that described in Mike Mentzer's book "Heavy Duty 2". If you work brutally hard at it, you can get the workout done within 20 minutes and make it really hard. And it does work the muscles very well.

Why does it work? Because you are sticking to very basic principals. Do compound movements hard and you'll build and/or at least maintain muscle. Cut calories and you'll lose fat. Simple as that.

The only real downside I'd say to such a program is that you don't get enough physical activity for general health. Your immune system will work better if you do walking every day. And mentally you'll feel better if you stay active as well.

Ripped, thanks. I'll add in more lifting. I don't want to cut down on calories, i'll probably get hungry and plus i love eating

Ok "senior member." All you had to say was add in some lifting. I'm a primal rookie which is why i brought up this question. Don't call me a whiner. Don't act like college/work can't get mentally and physically draining at times. I could care less if you're 51 years old. I get 3-4 hours of sleep a night, i mean it when i say i'm tired.
    I've been there and so I understand. I can't tell you how many all nighters I've done studying for a test or trying to finish a lab report.

But I still did lift. I can recall after a heavy deadlift workout, it would leave me so drained for 3 days that I didn't have enough energy to study my hardest and longest. If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have done only 2 workouts per week and I would have included easy weeks or off weeks.

I also might have included a little bit of easy-moderate cardio stuff, because it just makes you feel better and helps you to get better at dealing with stress. Immagine going off to study with a better working brain, an elevated mood, and feeling more relaxed mentally (instead of anxious), because you actually took a little bit of time to get your heart pumping. Nothing too hard.

Yeah it can get tough. I'm going to try to sleep a little more and wake up earlier to lift. It seems like everyone is putting more emphasis on lifting instead of my calorie intake

That does make sense though. I cook my eggs with coconut oil and put a good amount of olive oil on my salad. That's almost 800-1000 calories already. But the problem is, they add some flavor. Eggs don't taste as good with cooking spray and i can't eat a salad with a small amount of oil/dressing

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    You know, my dinner last night was:

Three cups of mustard greens
    7 egg omlette
    1 lb of ground beef
    1 cup of sauerkraut
    3 tablespoons of coconut oil

Total calories? About 1,850.

That's WITH three tablespoons of oil. As long as you don't go frickin' ABUSIVE with added fats, there is still room for quite a bit in your diet without going crazy on the calorie front.

Drumroll, do you do the one meal a day diet? If so, how's that going for you? I skip breakfast sometimes and it's easy, but i've yet to try fasting until dinner time. And yea i love coconut oil

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast