Thread: Seeing results but feeling LIKE DEATH page

Seeing results but feeling LIKE DEATH

Primal Fuel
    Right, first i want to apologise for posting a few new topics recently; it's just that i'm really trying to turn my life around and because i'm the cautios type I always have a lot of concerns and worries.
    First of all though; i've gone 'more primal' in the last 3 days in that i've not had planned meal times, cut out the cordial juice I used to drink, incorporated nuts (because i find it hard to eat fat), and reduced my carbs. I THINK I can already see a difference in my body especially in the lower abdominal area.
    Now because i'm underweight i'm not sure if i've lost more, but is it normal to have seen results within 3 days?

Secondly i've felt sick and lacking energy for the past couple of days and i'm not sure what it's down to. Anybody else experienced this kind of nauseated feeling? I wondered if it might be because of more fat and less carbs, and perhaps it's that natural response by my body as it learns to use fat?

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Sounds quite normal to me. I would allow a week for your body to get used to dietary changes. You probably have a bit of carb flu. As you say, once you body gets used to using fat you will have more energy.

No need to apologise about making posts. This is a great place to come for support in a CW world!

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    1) you say you find it hard to eat fat and have lowered your carbs- lowcarb lowfat is a definate NONO. a good way to burn out your adrenals - fatigue is not a good sign
    2) relying on nuts for fat is not the greatest idea - add O6 PUFA load to lowfatlowcarb.....

try to find fatsources low in O6 - coconut if animalfat is hard for you
    and just try different fatty meats/fish/fowl
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to eat raw fat. Have a big salad with chicken/turkey breast and olive oil dressing, and there you are.

You should definitely bite your lips and try to hang in the low carb induction phase for a few weeks. Duration varies depending on age and other individual factors, but you should be feeling a lot better after two to three weeks. :-)

Thanks; as far as the low fat thing goes i'm definately starting to come around to it although i'm far from where i 'need' to be, and yes I have lowered my carbs although they were relatively low already. I'm between 70-120g per day now.
    I'm amazed at how quickly you can get carbs to add up de[ending on veggie choices.
    Until i'm able to get my fats from better sources i'm taking fish oils to keep my 3:6 ratio healthy.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo Butterfly Boy View Post
    Now because i'm underweight i'm not sure if i've lost more, but is it normal to have seen results within 3 days?

Secondly i've felt sick and lacking energy for the past couple of days and i'm not sure what it's down to. Anybody else experienced this kind of nauseated feeling? I wondered if it might be because of more fat and less carbs, and perhaps it's that natural response by my body as it learns to use fat?
    What's probably happening (and what jo referred to as "carb flu") is that your body is deprived of its usual energy source, and needs time to switch to metabolizing fat instead of carbohydrates. During this transitional phase you are feeling weak because your energy levels are low. As soon as you've switched to metabolizing fat, that will change completely though. You can help with this transition by cutting down on carbs even more. You said that you currently eat 70-120g ... if that includes a lot of fiber (I'm assuming that you use total carbs in your calculation) that's already pretty low, but if your figures contain a lot of net carbs (and only little fiber) you might want to reduce them even further, or replace some sugary/starchy vegetables or fruits with those that contain less net carbs, and more fiber. Of course at the same time you should take care to eat enough protein and fat (especially since you mention that you are underweight), and definitely reduce the intensity of your workouts until you've made the transition and feel your energy levels improve.

Hi, thanks for the ongoing advice
    Got a question; usually once a week i've had like a carbohydrate 'leptin refeed' with a large carbohydrate dose, sort of a cheat meal i guess. If i do this now, when it seems like my body is trying to adapt to fat burning, will it 'ruin' the transition?

jadeocean is offline Member
    I'm not an expert, but I'd say yes. You want your body to learn to start burning fat and if you carb-load your body will use the carbs as its fuel source. I would push through and don't have a cheat meal, IMO. I haven't had any cheats personally because I don't want to have to re-train my body, I'd probably feel like crap if I ate too many carbs now, I usually do 30-50g a day.
    Went Primal: 3/28/2010 - 43 lbs lost!
    Over 15 inches gone!

Primal Journal ~ Jadeocean

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, i know i'd feel like crap, i didnt want to do it to be honest. Thanks