Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soylent meal replacement page

JDelage is offline Junior Member

Soylent meal replacement

Shop Now
    What’s In Soylent : Mostly Harmless

This guy invented a non-food that supplies 100% of what the body needs (says he). This is pretty much at the opposite of the way I eat but I wonder if that's not a better approach than fast food as meal replacements every once in a while. In any case, the blog post is interesting.

alexhj is offline Junior Member
    I've been following this with fascination and have just sent him an email asking - what would happen if he changed the proportion of fats/carbs he consumed.

Assuming carbohydrate intake was set at say 50g (enough to stay out of Keto but low enough to ensure fast fat loss) and then adequate fat was consumed to supply energy but still be in a deficit for the day, how would he feel differently? What sort of deficit could he maintain week to week while still feeling healthy?

For example he is currently consuming a maintenance diet of 400g carbs and 65g fat, if he changed instead to 100g carbs and 200g fat what difference would this make to his health and his mood throughout the day?

If he found he was putting on fat he could simply tweak his ratios, drop down to 50g carbs and 150g fat he could be losing 1.5 lbs a week!

This is obviously completely the opposite of the primal way; getting everything the body requires from an abundance of fresh veg, quality meat, healthy fat sources etc. but as a thought experiment it really excites me!

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Um... you need to look up the movie "soylent green." NOW
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Um... you need to look up the movie "soylent green." NOW
    ^^^ This.

I do believe it was made in the 50's. The last time I watched it, it was available on netflix instant watch.

nevermind it was 1973 HA

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Make Room! Make Room! is a 1966 science fiction novel written by Harry Harrison exploring the consequences of unchecked population growth on society.[1] It was originally serialized in Impulse magazine.

Set in then-future August 1999, the novel explores trends in the proportion of world resources used by the United States and other countries compared to population growth, depicting a world where the global population is seven billion, subject to overcrowding, resource shortages, and a crumbling infrastructure. The plot jumps from character to character, recounting the lives of people in various walks of life in New York City (population around 35 million).

The novel was the basis of the 1973 science fiction movie Soylent Green, although the movie changed much of the plot and theme and introduced cannibalism as a solution to feeding people.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Room!_Make_Room!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

alexhj is offline Junior Member
    Yes yes it's meant to be based on humans, far more interesting is what this guy is doing!

Within a short space of time we could find on our shelves a powder that could be personally tailored to provide exactly everything our bodies require for a day with variations for people who want to lose weight/gain muscle/maintain etc etc!

It's the future! (or is it?)

Did he HAVE to call is Soylent, though? This freaks me out. Why eat powder? Lazy is what I say. I dont want to have to think about what Im putting into my body so Ill just take this powdery stuff and fuhgetabotit.

I know Im being a jerk.... But only because this gives me the heebie jeebies

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    There may be a place for it. Transporting it to places hit with fast acting devastation is one. I can see how it would be useful in "putting the tiger in the cage." IOW, when someone quits cigarettes, drugs, etc., they can put it down and never touch it again. The same can not be said about nourishment. So someone who eats for emotional reasons rather than for nourishment, might be able to eat this way for long enough to stop associating food as a pleasure in times of stress, anxiety, or sadness. Under supervision, the person could then slowly introduce real food back into his/her life, or could choose to stay on the powder for the rest of her/his life.

I doubt it's optimal, but I think it has potential to be useful. Real, healthfully raised food is probably best. It would be sad to give up steak, asparagus with hollandaise, coffee, fresh raspberries, etc. I mean really, if a beautiful man/woman were available to you, would you choose the powdered one?

Also, if anyone ever needs my dead body to nourish someone else, they are welcome to it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast