Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soylent meal replacement page 2

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Soylent green is people!

In all seriousness though, this is really interesting. I don't think it's optimal, and I can't imagine giving up the joy of food, but it could truly save lives and reduce our impact on the planet in a big way. It would be pretty cool if we could wipe out malnutrition on the planet.

However, it seems like it's too good to be true, there's a good chance that something will go wrong down the line. The important thing to remember is that if you are drinking this stuff, you are a participant in an experiment and you never know how that experiment will turn out.

I have to wonder though, if he increased the fat and lowered the carbs, do you think it would give more sustained energy instead of requiring 3 glasses a day? This could be convenient for long road trips and backpacking adventures. Just add water!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If he increased the fat and lowered the carbs, do you think the fat would be good fat or canola oil?

It seems to me that this could be like one of those baby formula fiascos where kids get sick and die because of a minor quality control problem at the factory.

JDelage is offline Junior Member
    It sounds like it would be easy to replace the some of the carbs & bad fat with good fat. It might not be possible to keep it liquid though.

My worry with this is more that I think the body needs more randomness than is implied here, but that might not be an issue if Soylent is taken only a few times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    ...one of those baby formula fiascos where kids get sick and die because of a minor quality control problem at the factory.
    Can you give a few example of those? In the US? Seriously? In any case, this is a lone guy doing an experiment in his kitchen. He's not feeding it to kids and we're not kids either.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDelage View Post
    It sounds like it would be easy to replace the some of the carbs & bad fat with good fat. It might not be possible to keep it liquid though.

My worry with this is more that I think the body needs more randomness than is implied here, but that might not be an issue if Soylent is taken only a few times a week.

Can you give a few example of those? In the US? Seriously? In any case, this is a lone guy doing an experiment in his kitchen. He's not feeding it to kids and we're not kids either.
    It hasn't happened often. I recall a few incidents in my lifetime. The melamine in milk scandal in China was responsible for infant deaths.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 03-27-2013 at 02:02 PM.

PrimalCon New York
    In his blog he states that he uses olive oil, so I think we can assume that he would just increase that to raise to proportion of fat.

I think this might be more nutritionally sound that his previous diet, because he talks about eating a lot of fast food, as well as pasta and nachos, so it makes sense that he feels good on his new shake and has lost weight and gained energy.

However, I wonder if he would feel even better on a paleo diet, seeing as he didn't really have very good nutrition before hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12